Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Kaoru ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kaoru lay there motionless on the hospital bed, blood cleaned from her face she lay there with Kenshin sitting by her side holding her cold lifeless hand. "Kaoru" he said "man Kenshin really taking this in" Sano said as he watched Kenshin. "Well obviously" Yahiko said looking at Sano who was looking sadly at the young Kenshin. "I just don't understand how this could've happened," Sano whispered, "I mean one day she's fine and then the next she gets dizzy gets ill everything I just don't understand" Yahiko looked at him the back at Kenshin.

        Kaoru was breathing slowly, her heartbeat was back to normal but whenever the doctors said she should awaken she didn't. It was painful to Kenshin to see her like this caught in-between life and death but he didn't know what to do, there was nothing he could do but pray that she would live. He remembered suddenly one of the doctors telling him that sometimes people didn't want to breath or be helped, they were ready to accept their deaths but Kaoru wouldn't do that....would she? He tightened his grip on her hand and sighed and prayed in his mind for her to live, not to give up on life like it was nothing because it was something. Kenshin closed his eyes and dropped his head, he had been standing in that same position for hours refusing to leave and he wouldn't. "Ken...shin" Kenshin's eyes shot open and his head flew up as Sano and Yahiko ran over to them. "Is she awake?" Yahiko asked hopefully, he had been praying every night for Kaoru's life and was hoping that his praying was pointful. "Kenshin" Kaoru said again, they all looked at her pale face her closed eyes seemed to tighten a little "what Miss Kaoru?" "your squeezing my hand to hard" she said as she slowly opened her eyes quickly closing them again at the sudden shead of light.

        Smiling Yahiko hugged her his praying was pointful Kaoru was living, a doctor walked in and saw her sitting up and dropped his clip board, after three whole weeks she was finally awake without any medical assistance either. Only by they help of three people in the room one holding her hand. He smiled and looked at the man, he hadn't yet seen his face and wondered what he looked like so the doctor walked over and tapped Kenshin on the shoulder "um...excuse me Mr. Himura" he said as Kenshin turned around showing his smiling face to the doctor "yes Mr. Kamasaki?" he asked happily, the doctor smiled and once more dropped the clip board he had picked up. That cross-shaped scar, that red hair, those eyes, this was none other then the legendary Battousai. He gulped and picked up his clipboard once more hiding his face so the Battousai couldn't see it, he laughed a little and said quickly "um...Miss Kamiya, you may go home in about another two weeks, we want to keep an eye on you." He said frowning ignoring the stare he was getting from the legendary manslayer however he was sweating under the pressure as he continued speaking "after your last incident at the hospital and this current one we would like to see how you hold out" Kaoru sighed and sank back into her hospital bed frowning.

        Half her Kimono's were burned one was covered in blood and dirt, Kenshin had turned back into the legendary Battousai but had the same strange happy personality, and now this, god sometimes her life could just go over the line. She giggled though as Yahiko continued talking happily to her and Sano once again glad to hear it said "hey Little Missy welcome back to the living world" then there was Kenshin who was just now leaning against a wall half his body covered in the shadows. From Kaoru's perspective it made him look both kind and evil at once which made her smile even more, "so Yahiko" she said once Yahiko finally stopped talking for a breath. She had never known he could be like this or maybe it was just because his kendo teacher was in the hospital while the last time she was awake she had been coughing up blood. Shivering at the very thought of how she felt and what she must have looked like lying there helpless on the dirty dojo floor. She smiled as Kenshin walked over and gave Kaoru impossible to hate smile of his.

        She giggled and watched as a different doctor entered and walked right up to Kaoru smiling "Miss Kamiya my name's Keiko ordinarily it would be Dr. Keiko but I really don't think my name goes well with the Dr. so please just call me Keiko" she said smiling and holding out her hand which Kaoru shook. "What is it Keiko?" Kaoru asked "well Miss Kamiya..." she began "Kaoru please" she interrupted "okay Kaoru," Keiko said, "I'd like you to know that we have the reason why all this has been happening, you know getting dizzy, feeling ill, coming close to death" "really?" Kaoru asked hopefulness in her voice "yes" "what is it?" Kaoru asked hurriedly. Keiko turned her head so Kenshin could see it with a 'please excuse us for a minute' expression placed on her face. Kenshin frowned but left Sano and Yahiko behind him closing the door behind them, once Keiko heard the door close she began to speak "Kaoru I'm afraid there's something in your blood stream that is causing you problems" "what?!" "we're not exactly sure how you got it thought it could be a strange deadly virus or maybe something inherited at birth we're not sure of course maybe there's also the possibility that someone may want to have...or want to or...maybe no it can't be" "what Keiko what are you thinking?" Kaoru cried desperately "or maybe some one wants to kill or really hurt you." Kaoru gasped why would anyone wanna do that "sorry it's just we've never had such a confusing case before but don't worry we'll make sure we get an antidote but promise me not to tell those guys that I sent out Kaoru something tells me it would just mean trouble" Keiko said sadly and Kaoru hesitated but promised not to tell.

        As Keiko walked out she said "we'll see how you are in a few weeks Kaoru" with that she left allowing the boys back in except this time the red head wasn't there. She figured it was nothing and just walked away humming a sad tune, it was sad for the girl who had to put up with such pain and they didn't know what to do, that tune was for Kaoru. Frowning she pulled out a dollar and placed it in the vending machine hell her break was in five minutes why not at least get a water bottle? But as she pressed the button she felt the hairs on the back of her neck standup and she looked around and jumped when she heard the bottle slam into the vent, grabbing it she quickly walked away.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  & nbsp;     Kenshin sat on a bench right outside the hospital looking at the floor, what the heck was wrong with the woman he loved...wait a minute loved? "I don't think loves what I meant to say or think" he said silently as his mind wandered back to the past times he had spent with Kaoru. He smiled when he felt a wind blow, but the leaves on the bushes a little ways off didn't blow which meant only one thing, someone else was here. Someone with weak power but great speed drew forth and he heard a rush of wind quickly turning he saw a figure jump up to a window which was "Kaoru!" he yelled as he being the Battousai ran and jumped up to the window but as he got there he saw a paralyzed Sano and a knocked out Yahiko and no Kaoru, he heard a scream that was soon followed by his name making him turn around where he saw a shadowed figure holding a distressed Kaoru under their arm. "Release he now!" Kenshin cried but the figure only shook his head remaining silent and turned his head to look down at the scared Kaoru. Even through the shadows Kenshin was able to see his rotten smile, he turned to look at the Kamiya girl who's hair had fallen out of her ponytail, her yellow kimono with different colored flowers along the side was wrecked showing that she had put up a strong fight but wasn't able to escape. Her face held the expression of a lost and lonely child and Kenshin wouldn't allow that expression to remain on her face for long "I told you to release her and I meant now!" Kenshin yelled.

        He quickly dodged as the figure threw a knife at him but ended up slamming and pinning itself against the wall. Kenshin turned his attention back to where the figure and Kaoru stood but they were gone making Kenshin growl in anger. He walked over to the knife and ripped off the note that was on it "typical" he said to himself as he read.

        'Battousai,< br>         If you ever want to see the Kamiya girl again meet me by the Akabeko when the moon is high and the sky dark, in two days we will meet. Don't bother trying to find her on your own because you will on be wasting both your time and energy. Bring out the Battousai in you wanderer or you'll never see the Kamiya girl again.

        Sighed
        Anonymous'

Kenshin gripped the paper in his hand as Yahiko woke up moaning and Sano's temporary paralisy became undone, Kenshin shook with rage as he read the note over and over again. Yahiko had a black eye and quite a few scratches and cuts on him, while Sano was fine showing he must have been paralyzed for awhile since he was completely unharmed and by the sounds of this note the enemy was strong. Kenshin roughly exhaled as he looked back at Sano and Yahiko who were looking around the room for some sign of Kaoru but she wasn't there "where's Kaoru?" Sano asked "gone" was all Kenshin was able to say before leaving the room Sano and Yahiko following 'and I will find her no matter what, whether I must wait for two days or two years I will get you back Miss Kaoru I will.'

        ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   ;      "Let me go" Kaoru cried as the man tied her hands together "shut-up girl," they yelled back, "it's not you I want it's the Battousai or Kenshin Himura" Kaoru gasped "so I'm just bait to lure him here?" "yes" they said turning to leave but stopped and turned around and walked over to Kaoru's obi and pulled out a small wallet "what are you doing?" Kaoru cried since she wasn't able to see "just looking through this lovely wallet of yours" they looked through the pictures of all the dojo residents. They stopped at a picture of Kaoru with Kenshins arm around her shoulder, both were smiling and the person froze when he saw Kenshins face, they looked so secure, so peaceful, so kind "oh well not after he reads my little note." Kaoru looked as they ran out of the room her wallet and all "hey come back here!" she cried but wasn't able to do anything since she was tied. "Please don't come Kenshin, please don't," she begged, "I'll be fine just don't come in here and turn into the Battousai don't Kenshin please don't."

        ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 &nbs p;      Kenshin looked around the dojo, he could of sworn he had heard Kaoru's voice begging him not too come after her, that she would be fine but there was no Kaoru...was he going crazy? He was probably hearing thing but that still didn't mean that Kaoru was all right and he hadn't though t about going after her. They had just come back from the hospital and Kenshin was cleaning the floors, if he wanted to save Kaoru he had to remain calm so he tried to forget they had ever met but her beautiful face kept popping back into his mind. He went back to work praying that the two days would come soon so he could save Kaoru and make sure he was unharmed. 'I won't allow anyone to touch my Kaoru' he thought "wait a minute my Kaoru, she's not mine to claim she is her own person and not something that I can just declare mine, that she is not" Kenshin spoke back to himself. "Kenshin" Yahiko ran in the hall and turned to the room where Kenshin was running around back and forth cloth and all. "Yes Yahiko?" he asked the boy who immediately ran off as he heard Sano "give that back Yahiko" Kenshin sweat dropped and watched Sano stop and smile "little Yahiko" saying that made Kenshin laugh nervously "maybe I should get out of here?" he said to himself grabbing the few things he had been using to wash the floor and ran out just as Yahiko came running back at Sano. Kenshin heard a cry of pain and cries of anger and Kenshin laughed again as he closed the door.

        "I hope the don't ruin Miss Kaoru's dojo, that I don't" then with that Kenshin leaned against a pole on the small porch the dojo had and listened to the wind.