Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Kotori ❯ Close to me ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kotori

Written by: Subaru Shôjo

In cursive are thoughts and flashback quotes

Words in bold are rynnosuke's words.

Part 2: Close to me

"Onegai Kenshin, continue, don't…stop…" Kaoru whispered, not turning to see him. But slowly she closed the distance between his chest and her back; although there still was a feet separating them. Kenshin nodded silently as he inhaled for more air.

"Year after year, the bird kept flying without a predetermined road. And he couldn't handle that the Emperor was right, that he was a death bird. But one day as he was flying he found a young lady on the streets. The little bird perched on a branch of a near tree as he observed the human below him.

The little bird could feel that this young lady was special and strong he could see it in her eyes. She had a beautiful kimono that emphasized her beauty; she had long dark hair and bright eyes that accentuated her features. The young lady looked up and saw the little bird on the tree. She smiled tenderly at him and she made little sounds to attract him. But the little bird was so scared that he didn't want to get down. The young lady sighed in defeat looking that the bird wouldn't come to her, and then she looked down and walked through the streets again.

The little bird's heart ached; he wanted to see that beautiful smile again. Then he waved his wings vehemently as he heard a shout from a near street. He flew down as he saw a well-built man pointing his katana to the young lady. She was already injured, a slight slash on her left arm. The little bird flew above the stranger to capture the man's attention, so that the young lady could escape.

She ran as fast as she could while the bird was entertaining the `stupid man that was distracted with a bird' then the police found them, and caught the man for using a forbidden sword. The little bird worried about the young lady, flew to the place she entered in. She was healing herself, putting some bandages on her arm.

The little animal hide on a tree near the koi of her house. The creature could see that there was no one in that dojo but her. The small creature reflected that she was a loner too. Maybe if he stayed there he wouldn't feel so lonely since the past years he had been flying. Again the young girl looked up as she watched the bird she saw once two blocks away. The woman smiled brightly as she forgot the aching point in her arm. She walked quietly so she couldn't shoo him away. The young lady offered her hand to him but he was so afraid that he stood only there. Then she offered him another smile then she giggled "At least I'm not alone, my name is Midori" she said smiling more for being so silly by introducing herself to a bird.

Everyday the bird was there, hanging from that tree. Midori lay down some seeds and water for him, and then she backed off so he could approach. And he did, jumping little by little he drank the water and ate some seeds from the two bowls she offered. And since that day it was a routine, later on the bird helped Midori with the laundry, by perching it up in the bamboo sticks. He also helped in the food, bringing her the right ingredients, at least the ones he could handle. And so on the little animal had a new partner and master.

One day Midori checked the news; the bird noticed how worried she was by reading them. Midori told him that some outer country was attacking Japan, and some thugs were assaulting houses in her neighborhood. The thugs killed all the houses' owners, leaving them behind. The bird flew away from her, perching again to the tree. If he stayed close to her, she would be in danger, but another half begged to stay, because he finally got some peace from years of flying.

The next night another murdering was committed, and it was the house next to Midori's. The choice was made he had to fly away. Before he could go the little bird saw Midori admiring the fireflies. He wanted to fly away, but that mystical beauty was taking him back. He flew to her right shoulder and he began to sing a grieving song. Midori looked at him as she understood, she placed her left hand on him, caressing his feathers smoothly as some tears formed on her eyes, still not rolling down. Finally the little bird flew away grieving to leave her.

He traveled again to his old master's place. The tall man made fun of him but he accepted him. The tall man noticed that the creature had changed. He wasn't singing and barely eating. "Hey you red thingy! Don't grief in my place if you left some birdie you liked!" the tall man scowled making the little bird almost lose his balance. He flew away from his old master's place and he flew back to Midori's place, but she was nowhere to be found.

He flew to the next house, where he saw blood spilled everywhere and the owner's body lying lifeless on the floor. Then he flew again to Midori's house, where the thugs had stole everything but no body was there. He perched on the front door as too old ladies approached the house.

The older one said to the other: "The owner of this house was lucky, they said that the next day in the morning she went away from her house. They said that she was crazy, because she was desperately searching for a bird. She was lucky that she didn't was here that night, otherwise she would be dead as Fujiwara-sama." The younger lady nodded. "It's a shame that she was crazy" the other one nodded. The bird's heartbeat increased at the ladies words. She had gone to search him, and because of that she wasn't murdered. The little bird's search began.

He traveled again looking for her. He spent many years flying, searching her, and the little bird was getting weaker and older. Then he rested in a tree as he let defeat surround him, he was never going to see her again. Slowly he snuggled to the tree's leaves as he saw death approaching him….."

Kaoru's head slowly hung, then with tremble fingers she shifted a bit her kimono revealing a little of her creamy thigh. Kenshin shut up as he looked at Kaoru's movements. Kaoru reflected about the legend. She was never going to let him go again, not until death separated them.

She smiled as she recorded those words. It was like a marriage testimony. Then she snuggled close to him, closing any distance between them. The back of her head rested on the hollow of his shoulder. Kaoru felt as he tensed up a bit, but then he smiled and relaxed. Kaoru's smirk grew more as she nodded him to continue.

"…But then he woke up, as he sensed someone kneeling in the tree, someone week and skinny. He made some efforts to flew down. As he approached, the light in her eyes made him recognized her. It was her…Midori. At least he saw her before he died. She offered a small smile, the one that he had always adored. Then he perched on her skinny hands, she had grown up, but she wasn't that old to die. But her features, her appearance showed it the other way around.

He snuggled close to her chest, as she hugged him tightly. A silent tear rolled down from her face as she kissed the little creature's head. Midori sighed in relief then she leaned on the tree. She caressed her little fellow, suddenly she felt that instead of a living bird, she had a lifeless body on her hands. She let another tear prick down her face as she closed her eyes joining him in eternity…Owari"

Kenshin finished the story in a smooth voice. Kaoru had tears over her face, but she washed them away, giving him a beautiful smile. Then she looked to the sky.

"It was beautiful Kenshin, arigato…" she said still leaning on his shoulder. He sighed then he nodded. Kenshin could still hear Rynnosuke's words at the end of the legend.

By this it was shown that we are the one's that make up our destiny…to be death birds, love birds, lucky birds…since that day when I found my partner I understood my father's words. You can't change your past, but you can begin a new present…so anytime you see a little bird with something reddish over his body, the legend says that it will give you happiness and cherish with your beloved until eternity.

So he wasn't really a death bird de gozaru?

He believed he was, and he made that belief happen…you're still young Himura-san…enjoy your life with the ones you love…

But my past…

Don't be so selfish…what does your `Midori' think about?

My…my…Midori?

C'mon kid don't babble! I mean, are you going to let your `Midori' suffer?

No…but what if…

No nothing! Your past is your past and she's now your present…enjoy the precious girl you have…

How do you know if I have a girl or not…?

I may be old, but I'm not dumb…look at yourself…your eyes shone when I named that `special someone' and finally… because she's hanging on that tree to see who are you dating…

Uh! Kaoru-dono!! [Kenshin swirls around to look at the two figures]

Ah so that's her name…

…[Kenshin nods still watching Kaoru]

She's not gonna fall, she has that rooster boy to fall in. Stop protecting her Himura and start loving her…

Nani?!

Love her before it's too late… [Rynnosuke hangs his head]

Gomen…

Don't be! At least I knew I could love someone again…and that's what the legend means…a second chance, in the eternity.

Arigato…

Well nice meeting you again Himura. Maybe this will be our last talk.

You said that before… Hai, but now I'm older than before…

Aa…

THUD!
Kaoru-dono!

See I told you; the big boy was a cushion for her.

What are you doing here? Where you peeking?

Oh, so this is Kaoru-dono?

He has been telling me about you…nice meeting you, Kaoru-dono.

Please, just Kaoru.

Just Kaoru…

"Kenshin look!" Kaoru stated with merry eyes while she pointed out a bird on the tree. Kenshin smiled tenderly as he saw the bird's features; reddish beak, black head, beige and white belly, dark tail and beige wings with little black over the edge. Reddish beak…

Kaoru raised a hand to him; Kenshin chuckled at Kaoru's innocence. Obviously the bird wasn't going to…

Kenshin's eyes bulged out as the little bird perched on Kaoru's left hand finger. She smiled brightly.

"Maybe this time the little bird didn't feared to approach…" murmured Kaoru as she observed the little bird. Kenshin was shocked at Kaoru's words.

Didn't feared to approach…

Just Kaoru…

"Would you like to have it Kenshin?" Kaoru offered sweetly, Kenshin doubted.

"Maybe he'll fly off…" Kenshin said, Kaoru shook her head slightly.

"No he won't, trust me. Raise your left hand and I'll give it to you" Kaoru said.

Kenshin raised his left hand but in a second thought he raised his right hand too. With his left hand he made the little bird pass to his own. His right hand made it's way to her now lonely left hand. He placed his hand gently over her hand then he pressed them down to his lap, where she grabbed it tightly.

"Arigato…Kaoru" Kenshin said smoothly. Kaoru jerked a bit, as she heard no honorific.

"What for Kenshin?" she asked timidly. Kenshin smiled sweetly as he looked down at the bird, then to her eyes.

"For making the bird stay…" he said gently. Kaoru's smile went wide as she snuggled closer to him, closing her eyes, enjoying a non-routine afternoon with Himura Kenshin.

Owari

*Kotori means little bird. Ko = prefix for, little tori =bird. ^_~

Did you like it? I wanna know! Is the legend too long and boring? I warned you that this story was 100% WAFF. Well thank's you for reading it and thanks to Kali-chan for helping me! (Arigatou Kali-dono! watashi no tomodachi!) Oh I almost forgot! Rynnosuke is the old fisherman Kenshin found after the Kyoto Arc. In the episode of the wishing fireflies (Gomen I don't remember the whole name) well, thanks for reading it! Ja ne! Subaru-chan!