Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Let's Just Pretend ❯ Prudence ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kaoru winced, folding her arms stubbornly. She was not going to give into Misao's games and not even the smirk she was receiving could weaken her resolve. It was a childish game. Something she'd played when she was a teenager. Like pigtails and bubblegum ball hair ties, she'd left it behind in the years she thought Backstreet Boys were cool. She was a full grown adult now, nearly finished with college. She was mature... responsible. And she was so over peer pressure. She was going to think about the dreadful date she'd been conned into that was scheduled for today. Think about how much she didn't want to go anywhere in public with the red-haired student aide. Her cheeks flushed. Or anywhere private for that matter.
 
Misao hovered in her doorway and Kaoru couldn't ignore the cheeky grin any longer. “What?”
 
“You know what I'm waiting for.”
 
Well, Misao could stand there all day, Kaoru was not giving in. Just focus on what you're planning on wearing. Misao is not a problem. “No. I'm no longer thirteen, Misao.”
 
The grin transformed into a pout. “Aw, Kaoru. You were the best! It was the cool thing to do.”
 
She leveled her with a cool stare. “Misao, at one time I thought knee-high, scrunchy socks and a side ponytail was cool. I'm not doing it.”
 
“No one's around to hear.” Kaoru hummed, mostly ignoring her roommate. Blue or purple? “Are you chicken?”
 
Kaoru tensed. No! Bullying was not going to work. She was a stronger person now. “I'm not chicken!”
 
Damn! That sounded way too defensive. Kaoru peeked over her shoulder expecting a skeptical look or an amused smirk, but Misao's head only tilted back in thought. With a disappointed sigh, Misao pushed away from the door. “Oh well, it looks like I'll just have to tell Megumi that you're too chicken to say one little word.”
 
Kaoru bent to pick up a shoebox. “What has she got to do with this?”
 
Misao's head poked back around the door in apparent surprise. “Oh, you didn't know? Megumi's playing too though usually she prefers the coarser words. I think that's because she's dating Sano—”
 
Screw peer pressure. Megumi would never leave her alone. “Penis.”
 
Large, aquamarine eyes blinked in feigned surprise. “What was that?”
 
Kaoru turned away to forcefully shove the box into her closet, speaking through clenched teeth. “You heard me.”
 
“I didn't know you still had it in you!”
 
“I'm only saying it once.”
 
Laughter drifted behind Misao as she turned to go back to her room. “Once is never enough, Kaoru. You know that.”
 
The shoebox tumbled back to the floor but Kaoru ignored it. Her date. She had to get ready. “Oh, once is plenty enough for me. We out grew that phase and you know it.”
 
“Speak for yourself. I embrace my moments of immaturity.”
 
Kaoru pulled on a skirt, eyeing herself in the mirror. “Moments? You've had one four year long moment.”
 
“Hey! I resent that. Penis.”
 
Kaoru grimaced. Misao was continuing the game. Each repetition of the word louder than the previous. She glanced at the clock. Still plenty of time before she had to leave. She tugged on her cami, giving herself a once over before going to Misao's door. “How do I look?”
 
“You didn't say it.”
 
Kaoru could feel her lips thinning. “Penis!”
 
The triumphant grin on Misao's face almost made Kaoru roll her eyes as Misao cast a critical eye over her attire. “Looks good. I like the skirt.” She paused, taking a deep breath to yell, “Penis!”
 
The doorbell rang and Kaoru quickly checked the clock again. She breathed a sigh of relief. Good, still early. Maybe it was one of their neighbors coming to borrow something. Maybe now the game could end since they couldn't bring an innocent victim into the game. Kaoru turned from the doorway. “I'm not saying it again.”
 
Misao gasped, scandalized. “You have to or you'll be labeled a prude.”
 
Kaoru did roll her eyes this time. “I'm not a prude!”
 
Misao leapt onto her bed, placing a fist on her hip and pointing at Kaoru. “Then say it!”
 
She ignored the challenge and started for the door as the bell rang again. “I have to get the door!”
 
A moment later Misao started up the sing-song chant that hadn't been heard since they were in grade school. “Kaoru's a prude! Kaoru's a prude! Kaoru's a prude!”
 
Surprisingly, the chanting got louder the closer she got to the door and she knew Misao was going to be screaming it before too long. The chanting changed pitches, gaining in volume and Kaoru cringed. “Oh for the love of...” There was only one way of stopping her. Taking a deep breath, she turned to shout back, “PENIS!”
 
“Yes?”
 
She knew that voice. But it couldn't be. It was still early. Deafening silence hung in the apartment. Even Misao was silent. She did not just scream... that with the door open. Turn slowly, Kaoru. No sudden movements. If you move slowly maybe he won't see you. No such luck. Violet eyes gazed down at her when she finally turned and looked up. “Oh... Hi, Kenshin.”
 
His lips quirked and he cocked his head to one side. “Interesting choice of a game.”
 
Her brain was officially dead. “You're early.”
 
The grin widened. “I'm glad I am.”