Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Let's Just Pretend ❯ Libraries are for Serious Work ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Hey, Missy.”
 
Kaoru jumped, glaring at Sanosuke as he settled into the chair across from her. Keeping her voice low, she hissed at him. “What are you doing here?”
 
Sanosuke snorted, casually glancing around. “I'm allowed to be here if I want.”
 
She rolled her eyes. “Sano, you never want to be here. I can't even remember that last time you entered a library willingly.”
 
He puffed up, insulted. “Not true. I'm here every day.”
 
Her eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Why?”
 
To her surprise, he blushed. “I have to pass my biology class.”
 
Right. And she was Miss America. “What's the real reason.”
 
“It's the truth.”
 
“That may be true but I don't think that's why you're here. Barely passing has never bothered you before.”
 
Sanosuke sank lower in his chair, darting an anxious glance to a set of tables behind her. “Shhh! You don't have to say it like that.”
 
She didn't bother to hide the strange look she gave him and twisted in her chair to see who sat behind her. Megumi leaned over her textbook, brow furrowed in concentration. No one else sat nearby. Megumi preferred to study alone. “Oh, I see.” Kaoru turned to raise an eyebrow at Sanosuke. “Aiming high.”
 
“Shut up. What about Kenshin?”
 
Kaoru frowned. “What about Kenshin?”
 
“He seemed kind of down the other night after your date. What did you say to him?”
 
She suppressed a sigh. “It wasn't a date, Sano.”
 
“Oh? Then what was it?”
 
Kaoru squirmed slightly in her chair. “Dinner between friends.”
 
Sanosuke sat back, shock showing on his face. “Friends? You pulled the friend card on him? Are you stupid?”
 
Her arms folded across her chest, her chin raising defensively. “Yes, Sano. Friends. What's wrong with have another guy friend. Besides, he's my teacher—”
 
“He's a student aide!”
 
“—and as such, we can't be anything more than friends.”
 
Sanosuke's mouth snapped shut and he gave her a searching look. “So, you'd date him if he wasn't teaching your class.”
 
“I said no such thing!”
 
“Ah, but you didn't deny it.”
 
Kaoru startled. That was true. She hadn't thought about it like that. Not that she was even interested in him like that. Especially after...after everything. Annoyed, she snapped her book shut, rising to her feet. “You're such an idiot. I'm late for my appointment.”
 
He smirked. “And what appointment would that be? Across Kenshin's desk, perhaps?”
 
Heat rushed onto her cheeks even as her body went cold. If her fluctuating temperatures didn't stop she'd have to go see a doctor. That couldn't possibly be healthy. “I have to tutor someone, you bastard!”
 
Eyes turned toward her from every corner of the library and the librarian at the desk sent them a withering scowl. Oh, if only she wasn't in the library she would wipe that smirk right off of Sanosuke's face. Alas, there were too many witnesses and she didn't have time to stash the body. Operation: Kill the Rooster would have to be put on hold.