Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Letters From War ❯ News of Kenshin ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Letters From War
By: AmayaSaria
AN: I don't think I've ever done a Ruroni Kenshin fanfic before. All well, I hope you enjoy! Don't forget to review!
Summary: After ten years, Kenshin and Kaoru settle down. At age 41, Kenshin's been drafted to war. Kaoru and their son, Kenji await his return. That is, if he can survive.
Kenshin moved forward throughout the battles. It was only about a month ago, when the news came to him about being drafted. Gunshots and bombs blew up everywhere he looked.
`I must make it home, for Kenji. He must not go on without a father, only being 10 years old. And if that's not a good enough reason, then I must make it home for Kaoru.' He thought. He patted his chest to make sure the two letters were there.
One for Kaoru, one for Kenji. Those were there if anything should happen to him.
Why did this have to happen? Kenshin could remember that day very well; it was fresh, clear and vivid in his mind:
~Flashback-----------------------------------------------
“Kenshin, the mails here, do you mind getting it?” His lovely wife Kaoru asked politely. Kenshin nodded, and walked to their mailbox. Flicking through each one he muttered what each one said to himself.
“Bills, Kenji, Bills….what's this?” He remember it so well, it scared him.
To: Kenshin Himura
Kenshin regrets ever opening the letter, for the dreadful words it said on the inside:
Kenshin Himura, you are being drafted for the war.
Kenshin's eyes widened and he reread it again and again. Kaoru's soft voice alerted him.
“Kenshin, did I get any mail…..what's this?” She said innocently, plucking the letter from his hands. “Oh Kenshin…no, you can't do this! I won't let you!” She shouted, tears filling her eyes. “You won't make it out alive…” She whispered.
End of flashback------------------
 
Kenshin fought with great difficulty. Swords were not used as often as they used to be. The enemy attack with guns, bombs, almost anything they could get their hands on.
Kenshin was fighting with his sword. He had a hard time killing, remembering his vows he made to never kill. It left Kenshin distracted.
`Concentrate!' His mind shouted. But no matter how good he was in the past, it wasn't the same. Kenshin had grown old, and he had not practiced his sword style since Kenji was born.
That left him slow, and weak. It was a miracle he was still alive.
All of sudden, Kenshin's ears perked up.
“Ready…! Aim…! Fire…!” He the enemy's shouts. His eyes widened. A wall of bullets came flying at him, and his comrades. Kenshin did his best to dodge some of them, but his efforts had gone to waste.
Kenshin got shot, many times. He hit the ground hard.
`I'm sorry Kenji. I'm really sorry Kaoru. I'll love you forever and always.' He struggled to smile, one more time.
Those were Kenshin's last and final breaths.
------------------------------------------------------------- -----
A car pulled into Kaoru's driveway. Kaoru looked up from her laundry she was hanging up outside. Out stepped a Captain, right were Kenshin stood before he left for war.
Kaoru fell to the ground.
“Oh God no!…Please no!” She yelled, the tears streaming down her face. The Captain walked over to Kaoru, bent down and put a hand on her shoulder.
“I'm very sorry. Your husband Kenshin Himura is dead.” He said apologetically.
“Oh no…” Kaoru closed her eyes and let the tears fall freely.
“We found these two letters addressed to you and your son Kenji, in Mr. Himura's clothing.” He said handing her the letters. The Captain gave his sympathies, got up and left.
Kaoru held the letters close to her heart, and got up to find Kenji.
“Kenji…. Could you come here a minute?” Kaoru said.
“Coming mom!” Little Kenji said, coming in with sweat on his face, putting down his bokken. “What is it, Ma?” He asked, unsure of what was going on.
Kaoru smile. Kenji was practicing swordsmanship, just like his father did.
“Kenji…” Kaoru started, the tears starting to swell up in her eyes. Little 10-year-old Kenji's eyes widened.
“It finally happened, didn't Mother? Father died in war, didn't he?” Kaoru looked away as her tears started falling again. She meekly nodded. Little Kenji's eyes watered, but he tried to blink them away. He had to be strong for Mother!
“He left you a letter.” She said, handing him the envelope. Kenji nodded. He opened it up, and read it aloud.
Dear Kenji,
It upsets me greatly if you are reading this letter right now. It means that I have died in battle, leaving you and your mother alone. Please…do not mourn over my loss. I have died with honor, for fighting for what I believe in.
Please take care of your mother for me. Don't forget to be brave; you're the man of the house now. Keep practicing your mother's sword style. Kenji, I am proud that you were my son, and I always will. I love you very much; I will be watching you from afar.
Love Your Father,
Kenshin Himura
Kenji folded up the letter in the envelope. The tears started swelling up again. Kaoru dropped to he knees and opened up her arms for Kenji.
“It's okay to cry…” She whispered. Kenji went running into her arms.
“Mom, I miss him so much.” Kenji sobbed into his mother's chest.
“I know honey, I do too.” Kaoru said, holding him tight.
Everything was quiet for the rest of the evening. Kenji got more intense, and kept on practicing with his bokken. Kenji practiced to ignore his feelings.
Kaoru tucked her little boy in. He was exhausted from training, and the news of his father. As soon as his head hit the pillow, he was out right away.
“Goodnight my little boy.” Kaoru whispered as she exited his room.
Kaoru slowly went to her room, and sat down on the floor. She pulled out the letter.
My Dearest Kaoru,
I am very sorry that you are reading this letter right now. It means something has happened to me. Kaoru, I had no intent of leaving you, but I'm sorry it turned out this way. Please do not cry or mourn my loss.
Kaoru, I want you to know I spend every minute thinking of you ever since I left. I thought how much I missed you and how much I needed you. I'm sorry to make you a widow at such an early age of thirty. Kaoru, you and Kenji will always be my pride and joy. Please take care of Kenji, love him well, and grow him up right. I love you. Don't cry; show the world your beautiful smile. I'll be watching over you from afar.
I love you from now, until the end of time.
Love your Husband,
Kenshin Himura.
“Kenshin…” Kaoru whispered, the tears falling again. “I love you too….” She whispered into the night.
Kaoru cried herself to sleep that night.
AN: Okay, that was very depressing for me to write. Let me clear something up. Kaoru and Kenshin married when Kaoru was 19, making Kenshin 30. Kaoru had Kenji when she was 20, Kenshin 31. This fic is ten years later, making Kaoru 30, Kenshin 40, and Kenji 10. I hope that cleared some things up. Oh yea…this fic is slight AU. One more chapter and the this story is done! Any suggestion, or comment email me at: AmayaSaria@inuyasha.nu