Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Sakura in Spring ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Standard disclaimers apply. I don't own the Saitohs/Fujitas; they are an historical couple, so in my opinion, only their family should be able to own them. Watsuki-san, et al. owns the Rurouni Kenshin manga version of Saitoh Hajime.
 
Years later, Saitoh remembers the circumstances where he first saw Tokio alone. This is based on a first meeting of these two characters, which is posted as “The First Time I Saw Your Face” - Chapters 1 and 2. This is Saitoh's remembrance of what happened later the same day.
(30 R Theme:Random flower: Sakura Blossom)
 
Sakura in Spring
 
She brought a bento for me today. She often does. But today she brought it to the park, where I am on duty. Thousands of people have come here today to view the sakura blossoms; that is why extra officers were assigned here. Ueno Park is a popular place, but it is not the only place famous for its sakura blossoms.
 
No, this is not the only place. My mind takes me back to another time and another place, which was also very popular for its magnificent display of pink blooms. But that was before the war decimated most of the trees outside the castle wall.
 
It was later in the day on the first day I ever saw her. She was secretary to Matsudaira Katamori's sister, Teruhime. It was my first day in Aizu and I was required to attend an audience at court. She was there, sitting demurely behind her princess, watching me out of the corner of her eye. She didn't realize that I knew that she was looking at me. I never told her until years later. Not much escapes my gaze. She eventually learned that quite quickly.
 
The usual polite introductions ensued. Her name meant nothing to me at the time; I only remembered it because her father was an important retainer of Matsudaira's, who made financial contributions that allowed our group to survive.
 
After I left court that morning I went straight to where my men were encamped to be sure that proper arrangements were made for supplies and that the troops were settling in an orderly manner.
 
Having tended to my duties, I needed to return to the castle. That afternoon a breeze came up and I was walking back in what was literally a swirling storm of sukura blossoms. Petals that had been ripped from their places were sent floating to the hard earth below. It is a wondrous sight to see. It looks like pink snow, and covers the ground as thoroughly as any fall of icy flakes. I am not one for sentimentality, but even I took notice of nature's display that day.
 
It was then that I saw her approaching me. She told me much later that she was out for a walk to enjoy the blooms. She is like that. She loves flowers of all kinds, but I would not know that for quite some time.
 
Before I passed her, she stopped to bow and greet me. It was merely a, “Good afternoon, Captain.” My reply was as short and in kind. “Likewise, Takagi-san,” I replied to her with a nod of my head. She was not required to even give me a passing glance, but she did, greeting me as well.
 
It would be the first of many times that we would greet each other in passing, while I was stationed in Aizu. But that was the first time. It was also the first time I ever saw her alone. The memory of the blossoms swirling about her as she stopped to talk to me was forever etched in my mind, along with the memory of her face from that morning. From then on I would associate her with the delicate fragrance and color of the sakuras that grew along the wall of Wakumatsu Castle.
 
Opening my bento, I see that some of my favorites were packed today. As I eat my lunch, it is not hard to remember that other place with those other trees and the young woman who stopped to greet me that day. She may no longer be young, but that is of no consequence to me. Her beauty is not as fleeting as the blossoms were that day, and she is not as fragile as they were, either. No, she is strong and possesses a quiet inner beauty and strength that has lasted through the years. I will always be thankful that she is at my side.