Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Pins and Needles ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

30 Romances Theme: Pins and Needles
Squirming boys need a father's reminder. "A wife always appreciates her husband's help."
Pins and Needles
“Hold still Tsutomu,” I admonish my oldest son. “How am I ever going to make this fit if you keep moving around?” Boys. Absolutely impossible to control. This one has a mind of his own, just like his father.
Two amber eyes at least glance in my direction to let me know that he heard me. He knows better than to glare at me.
“But mother, I do not need a new hakama. My old one is fine,” I say muttering to myself. Maybe if I had a sister instead of a little brother, she would leave me alone and spend her time sewing kimono.
“Yes, your old hakama is fine for rolling in the dirt and climbing trees,” I answer with understanding, as I use some of the western-style straight pins to hold the fabric in place. “But it is not fine for going to Nagakura-san's for dinner,” I continue.
Nagakura Shinpachi is an old friend of Hajime's from his Shinsengumi days. The two of them try to keep in touch the best they can, in spite of their very busy lives. We usually share a meal with Shinpachi-san's family once or twice a year. This time we are going to their home. I am glad that I get along so well with his wife. It makes it easy to endure the hours that our husbands spend talking about old times and current politics.
If I can get this child of mine to let me make the adjustments, it will not take my needle and I long to finish the stitching that needs to be done. I may sew quickly, but not as quickly as those machines from the west that I see being sold in some shops. What are they called again? Treadle sewing machines I believe.
My thoughts are cut short when the shoji slides open. Looking in that direction, I know that those were my husband's footsteps that I heard coming down our hallway.
“What's the matter?” I ask with a steel-edged voice. I heard the commotion. My boys need to obey their mother as quickly and completely as they obey me. If they don't, there will be consequences. When Tsutomu glances in my direction, our eyes lock briefly. It is just enough time for the command sent by mine to be received by his, which are a shade more amber than mine.
Tsutomu has a sheepish look on his face, as I hear him apologize and tell Tokio that he will be still. Quietly, I leave the room. My back to my son, I can now spare a smirk that he won't see. Peace will reign in my home, at least for now.
Hiding a smile, I continue with what I was doing, as my son shows me nothing but cooperation. I often marvel at how good my husband is with the boys. I really should not be surprised. He did command troops during the Bakumatsu, and he now supervises many officers in his precinct. “There, I am finished. Thank you for being so patient; you are excused after you change out of this, and watch out for the pins,” I warn.
“Yes, mother,” I reply with a bow before going to my room to get this thing off of me. I won't even tell her she doesn't need to remind me about the pins; that would only bring father back here and I know, next time, he won't just give me that look of his. He would probably make me clean the dojo floor twice.
I remember about those pins from the last time she made me do this. Just thinking about the sharp poking they gave me makes me wrinkle my nose. This time I'm gonna be very careful when I take this thing off.