Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Those Cold Winter Nights ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

30 Romances Theme: Cold Feet
Tokio is trying to get to sleep without much success.
 
Those Cold Winter Nights
 
 
The downside of my husband being a police officer is that he is often on duty during the night, investigating some crime or doing surveillance of some criminal. Most of the year, this is not much of a problem for me, besides the fact that I miss his company and would rather have him here beside me on the futon.
 
During the spring, summer, or fall, it is only a matter of my heart missing him. But during the winter it is an entirely different story. I have never been one to be warm when I sleep. Even in the spring and fall, I usually wear my heavier sleeping yukata, only changing into my lighter ones during the worst heat of the summer.
 
In the winter I often wear another yukata under my woolen one. That helps me feel not too chilled, and almost keep comfortable, when Hajime is not home to help warm our bed. My husband is tall and lean, but he radiates an unbelievable amount of heat when he sleeps. I do not know why, and it really does not matter. That thought makes me smile. I rarely feel cold in bed, when he is beside me.
 
That thought also results in a frown on my face. It is now winter. I am in bed. Alone. And my feet are freezing cold. It makes no difference that I wore some very thick, warm tabi to bed. No, it makes no difference at all. As I try to rub one of my feet along the side of my other leg in an attempt to generate some heat, I realize that there is only one thing that will help them retrieve their warmth. Rather, there is only one person who can help me with that, my radiant heater of a husband.
 
Feeling quite sorry for myself, I almost do not hear the shoji to our room open and then close. The quiet footsteps are barely discernable. I smirk to myself as I think about how very quiet he can be. The rustle of clothing tells me that my problem will soon be solved. I sigh in pleasant anticipation.
 
It is not long before the comforter lifts and a very warm body slides in beside me. Ah. My feet snake closer to the warmth as an arm slips around my waist drawing me closer to the source of the heat. Content, I lift my head a bit to lay a gentle kiss on his cheek. Hm. As my feet begin to warm, I drift slowly off to much needed sleep.