Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of a Time Since Past ❯ The Terror, Herself ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

***Flashback

thoughts

It was his fault, Aoshi finally conceded. If he had only been there when the little girl he knew changed to the woman she was now, there would be no attraction. He had went away shocked, angered about his best friends' death. With a dark hatred and a blinding desire to be the best he had left the Aoiya and a certain little ebony haired girl.

Aoshi did not really know what to expect when he returned when he fought Okina. Although he had changed over the time he had been gone, somewhere in the back of his mind he thought that everything else would remain the same. But Okina had gotten older and frailer and all the half grown children that were there when he last saw them were adults, and then there was Misao. He had expected the small child with bright innocent eyes, and dark wispy hair rushing to wrap her arms around his neck and have a ride on his shoulders. But when he had finally seen her he almost could not recognize her with the exception of the eyes. They still sparkled like when she was small. A small consolation to the place he thought timeless. And although the eyes had not changes the body that surrounded them had as well as the mind.

Misao had always been enamored with him even as a child. That was how this relationship all began. A cold teenager put in charge of the little girl no one else had the patience to deal with.

***

"It's a test of fortitude," had begun Okina walking with a fourteen year old (soon to be fifteen he would be the first to remind you) Aoshi early in the morning. Most of his training was complete but random testing by Okina or the Okashira were not too uncommon. This was what he thought was a routine training exercise. "It is a necessary assignment for the good of the Oniwabashin." Oh good, Aoshi had thought, a mission. Although a part of him wondered why they were not going outside. In fact they had just stopped in front of a door. "Within," said Okina said imperiously, "Lays your challenge. I wish you luck." Okina swung the door open and flung Aoshi into the room. Aoshi saw his challenge and was immediately afraid. The terror of the Oniwabashin Aoshi had only hoped he would never have to meet it. He grabbed at the door which Okina was trying unsuccessfully against the young man's strength

"Now, Aoshi, are you disregarding you're duty as a ninja," the old ninja said trying to cover the strain in his voice with a ton of wisdom.

"You old fool," the young man said in a restrained voice, he did not after all want to wake the sleeping demon, "you just want me to take your baby-sitting duty. And I am not going to do that."

"It pains me that you think as such," cried Okina pathetically. Both still struggled with the door.

"I'll pain you more when I get out of here."

"Oh but Aoshi-sama," Okina tried, "You are so much younger than I and spryer it would be easier for you to care for the little bra-I mean beauty. She just has so much energy and I am so frail-"

"Yeah real frail when chasing the young women patrons," growled Aoshi.

Okina ignored him and pushed the door steadily sideways, "Her esteemed parents have entrusted her to my care while they are away on a mission but I simply cannot care for her. You are obviously the best choice. I mean-"

"Flattery will get you know where old man. This is just pay back for the itching powder on your futon. For the last time, I DIDN'T DO THAT!"

That was enough. Aoshi was startled to find someone pulling on his pant leg. So startled in fact he let go of the door, which slammed shut. He heard Okina laugh all the way down the hall. Great, he thought, now I'll never be able to find him.

Aoshi looked down to the thing that had made him lose this battle.

"You woke Misao-chan up," the little "hellion" said with a yawn. She rubbed her eyes. "Misao-chan is still tired."

This was what all of his best friends were afraid of? This was what made all the ninjas run in terror. He could laugh. She was almost . . . cute. "Misao-chan" as she called herself could not have been more than four years old with a black mop of hair, formerly in a braid that had obviously come out during the night, a chubby body, and blue eyes.

He was immediately stunned by those blue eyes; they seemed so clear and deep for someone so young. And they looked exactly like Okashira's eyes. But these were still naïve one that shine with the joy of being young.

"You can go back to sleep if you want," he said finally in response. The little girl shook her head emphatically. And then just stared up at him.

"Perhaps you would like breakfast," he asked the scowl disappearing from his face although he did not quite smile. Aoshi did not like the idea of being a nanny but how could anyone make a mean face at this one.

"Yay! Breakfast for Misao-chan," said the little girl with a smile revealing a gap where she had lost a tooth. As Aoshi would soon learn everything was a celebration for Misao.

"Now you hafta help Misao-chan dress," she said. And so began the young man's day as a nanny.

By the time they had gotten to the kitchen (which in itself took a while due to the fact Misao couldn't dress herself and Aoshi was nearly as clueless when it came to dressing a little girl as well as the fact that Misao couldn't sit still. Aoshi began to realize why she was so avoided.) It was closed and the only food left was for the customers or so Aoshi was told. Misao whimpered as her hungry belly grumbled when she was told.

"How did you get breakfast before," he questioned the girl somehow sure she had never woken up early a day in her life.

"People brought Misao-chan breakfast when they woke Misao-chan up."

Of course the kitchen would still have been open then. Thanks so much for the warning Okina.

"Misao-chan wants breakfast! Misao-chan wants breakfast!" the girl yelled repeatedly. Aoshi covered his ear. Think, what could he do? All that food was being guarded by Aiko. But he only needed two rice balls to fill the little one's stomach. This would be easy to get if he had a distraction. He had it.

"Misao-chan, Misao-chan," he said trying to get the screaming girl's attention. He dropped down on his knees to her level. "Misao-chan how would you like to go on a mission like your mommy and daddy?"

Misao immediately stopped crying and looked at him inquisitively, "Really?"

"Yes, really. Now you see old Aiko over there by the stove?" Misao nodded, "Can you make her turn around and talk to you until I give you the signal?"

"Misao-chan can do that," she said smiling again.

"Good. Here's the sign," he gave her a thumbs up. "Now go." The child went past, him looking surreptitiously around as if to make sure she was not being followed. Aoshi watched as Misao crossed the kitchen and caught the attention of Aiko. When the ninja-cook's back was fully turned, Aoshi dashed out from the hallway and stole two rice balls from the plate Aiko was working on. As he scrambled out the door he gave his little friend the signal. Almost at once Misao came skipping out.

He hand her one of the onigiri. She nibbled on it as they began to walk back to her room.

Finally his curiosity got to him, "What exactly did you talk to Aiko about?"

"Misao-chan asked Aiko where babies came from," she replied and Aoshi blushed, "It always makes grown ups get all red and quiet."

Something else occurred to the young man as Misao munched on her second rice ball. They had changed their course and instead decided to go out side.

"Misao-chan why did you come with me this morning? You don't know me. Hasn't anyone ever told you going places with strangers are dangerous?"

Misao stopped in her tracks and looked up at Aoshi with those uncanny blue eyes, "But Misao-chan knows who you are. Mommy and Daddy take Misao-chan to watch all the ninjas practice. You're the best. Daddy said you'll be the next Okashira. You're Misao-chan's favorite. Misao-chan loves Aoshi-sama."

Misao hugged Aoshi's pant leg with her sticky rice arms. Aoshi blushed at the act of affection and vaguely wondered about the addition of -sama to his name. Sure Okina had called him such before if only when he was pleading for mercy but it sounded better coming from her mouth, true. And the next Okashira he was liking that.

END OF CHAPTER

A/N: Okay folks I decided to write this on a whim. It'll most likely be a trilogy maybe a bit more about Aoshi's memories of Misao as a little girl and a developing romantic relationship between the two. There'll be some angst and some fluff. I hope you like. I'll probably edit later. Oh and if any of the spellings are off please say so! I was kind of unsure. *Aiko is a random character I made up as part of the Oniwabashin.