Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Off to School ❯ Epilogue ( Epilogue )

[ A - All Readers ]
The next day, Takuma brought the Kyoran twins over to meet Kenji, who was now allowed out of bed, though he still had to take things easy. Kenji stared them up and down. Both had slicked back black hair and thick framed glasses. They looked EXACTLY alike.

"I'm Hao," said one.

"I'm Tao," said the other.

"No you're not!" said Takuma. "This is Tao and this is Hao!"

Kenji laughed. He sensed that the four of them would be great friends and have a lot of great adventures in the future.

"Fukushita-sensei makes us sit apart from each other so she can tell us apart..." began Tao.

"But we just switch places before going into the room," finished Hao.

The four children then started playing hide and seek around the compound. Kenji with his ki sensing abilities, had an unfair advantage. He let the others win sometimes so they wouldn't be angry with him.

---
Kenji started back to school on Monday. Takuma, Touru and the twins were waiting at the gate to walk with him. Kenshin and Kaoru watched their son go off with the other four children. Hope welled in Kenshin's heart. Kenji's kind heart had won him these friends. Perhaps Kenji would have an easier childhood than he had. As a father, it was what he hoped for most.

"I think our little guy is growing up," said Kaoru wistfully.

"Yes," said Kenshin, not trusting himself to say anymore.

"I'm not too sad about it. Pretty soon, we'll have another little one to keep us busy," said Kaoru, patting her belly, which was just starting to get really round.

Kenshin laid his hands on Kaoru's belly and directly felt the small, bright ki emanating from within her. His eyes lit and the smile graced his features. To him, it was just yesterday that Kenji was a baby, yanking on his hair. Now, he was in school and had overcome his problems with no help from his parents. In a few more years, Kenji would be a young man and eventually go through his genpuku. This baby would be born, grow bigger and start off to school as well.

Kenshin's pride in his family was complete.

~~Owari~~