Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Paint me the horizon ❯ Falling into a white oblivion ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Paint me the horizon

by sessha himura

Disclaimer: I do not own Kenshin and Kaoru for that matter. I'm only borrowing them to satisfy the needs of my thinking mind and my writing hands.

Notes: Chapter one had been short. I don't know why, but every time I start a story, I start getting tired of writing the first chapters. I always anticipate the middle part, that's when my mind really starts working.

I also have this problem that whenever I think of a good follow-up, my mind just keeps on thinking about it but my hand can't cope up with it. My mind is just too fast for my hand.

This is not about peer counseling anyway, this is about my fanfic.

Read and Review please! I would appreciate every thing, may it be good or bad.

Thank You!

Chapter two: falling into a white oblivion

I grieved.

A white oblivion awaits me.

I'm scared,

Will you come and cradle me?

Like what you've promised?

He found the whole scheme of meeting with someone whom he has no idea about totally insensible.

He parked his silver car at the basement, and then securing its locks, he went on to see whoever it was who ruined his vacation. He remembered hearing his mother talked of a hotel, or was it an inn? And he wasn't quite sure if the hotel or the inn was located in Hokkaido, he didn't listen very well, he was too damn absorbed on thinking how insensible the idea was.

He punched the floor numbers on the elevator almost furiously. Yes he wants to see his mother, for his mother was often out of the country, but to leave Tomoe just to meet some whoever-he-or-she-is was out of the thought.

He tapped his foot impatiently on the floor, well he was back in Tokyo, and he couldn't go now. He was already there, why wouldn't he continue this and get this over and done with?

"Oba-san," she asked as oba-san returned to the kitchen, "Do you live here with him?"

"No," she answered, peeking from the kitchen, "I used to travel around, this is his pad. We do have a home. But this is only his."

"I see," she murmured. She stood and surveyed the living room. It is a bachelor's pad, she told herself as-a-matter-of-factly. Almost all the furniture were black, she gathered that it was his favorite color. The living room was cozy, a fire already burned at the hearth though it was still so early. A mantel was sprawled lazily around the hearth and she took notice of its color, of the design and the details.

She roved around. The pad is clean. Had he been into swords stuff lately? She wondered at the numerous blades and samurai swords laid heavily yet neatly on the old wooden chest. She approached it, touched the sheaths, and was surprised at the sheer frigidity of it.

She pulled back from being absorbed at the collections so much; she then felt a small lump building in her throat.

She coughed.

And she coughed again.

She had long notice the vulnerability of her body when it comes to illnesses. She had long known that this cough would not leave her. She coughed again and she tasted that nauseating thing again. She never told anyone about her cough, about her hysterical cough. She doesn't want anyone to fret himself or herself about her. It would be unforgivable.

She settled on the couch again, trying to calm down herself. This waiting was tiring her. She took note of the paradox, it's quite ironic how she managed to wait for eight years patiently and now that she had been waiting for only several minutes, she had grown so impatient that she can't keep herself from moving around the room and trying to do things that might occupy her thoughts.

She went to the kitchen. "Oba-san," she said cheerfully, hiding her impatience, "Do you need help?"

"Oh, I would be very much pleased if you would help me," oba-san greeted her with a smile; she was boiling water when she came from the living room.

She took a seat, "how do you want me to cut these vegetables?"

"I'll just be steaming them."

"Oh, okay," she gathered the vegetables and sliced them neatly. She became too much absorbed in her work that she didn't notice oba-san taking a seat beside her.

"You've grown beautiful Kaoru," oba-san told her.

She tilted her head shyly and smiled, "thank you. You too."

"I'm sure you'll take care of Kenshin when I go back to India."

"I will," she said, only if he'll allow me to, she told herself. But he will, he told me that. "Why are you going to India?"

"I'm interested in artifacts, and I've found nice ones back there in Golconda, and I'm planning to avail some for myself, that is if the government will allow me to."

"I'm quite sure they will."

Oba-san shrugged, "I hope so."

The sudden buzz of the doorbell brought their conversation into a halt. Oba-san got up, brought the seat back and murmured, "That must be him."

She went to peek in the living room, tying to see if it was really him. She saw oba-san talking to a young man, with eyes that she was sure she had seen and looked into before. She watched the young man responded courteously to oba-san and she was quite absorbed into watching the movement of his lips. It was him alright. What should she do?

"Kaoru," oba-san called out to her.

She walked slowly towards the living room, bowing her head slightly.

"Who is she?" he asked. There was a not so pleasing expression in his face that she resolved not to look at him that directly.

"Have you forgotten?" oba-san said in amazement, "Kaoru Kamiya."

"Nice seeing you again," she murmured, tilting hr head to loon into his purple eyes. He was beautiful, and his features were making her knees weak.

"I don't know her," he shrugged and went to sit on the couch.

"Kenshin, you're so dumb. Well you better take some time together, the food will not be cooked in half an hour," oba-san went back to kitchen.

Kaoru found herself at a loss when she was left in the living room with him. He had changed, and he doesn't know me, what am I going to do? She sat beside him and smiled, hiding the grieved expression in her face. "So" she inducted casually, "How are you?"

"I don't know you sorry," he answered rather rudely.

"Okay," she held tensely, "Remember the inn where you spent two years of your life?"

"I don't remember such unimportant details."

"Unimportant? You call that unimportant?" she asked, keeping her tone in a low modulated one.

"Yes."

"Don't you remember anything about Hokkaido?"

"I don't."

"Please try to be-"

"-Who are you anyway?"

"Uh…I'm-I'm Kaoru Kamiya."

"Kaoru?"

"Yes, from Hokkaido. Remember? I am the daughter of the owner of the inn. You and oba-san, well your mother, stayed there for two years when you started traveling around."

"I still couldn't quite remember but go on," he said impatiently.

"You were twelve then, and I was ten. We used to play together. And we were happy."

His cellphone suddenly rang; he fingered through his pocket and soon produced a small phone. His face was left by any wretched expression when he saw the name of the person calling him. "Tomoe," he said, his face glowing with excitement, "Oh yes. I'd been missing you terribly."

She unintentionally overheard the conversation for it seems like he really wanted her to hear the exchange. She gathered that Tomoe is someone important.

When the dialog ended, he came to look at her again, his smile faded and he grew in agitation.

"Do you mind if I ask?" she bit her lip.

"What?"

"Is the one you're talking to earlier your friend?"

"Why do you ask? You don't need to know."

"Well, I must be friends with whomever you are friends with."

He arched one eyebrow at the directness of her speech, "Why is that so?"

"Because…I'm…I'm-I'm your fiancée," she smiled warily, bowing her head low as to avoid his tormenting stares.

"What?"

She smiled, heat rushing up towards her body, "We are affianced to each other eight years ago."

"What? Are you dumb?"

"You promised me you'll come back after eight years and you made me promise that if you won't come back I should follow you here," she searched her bag for something, her hands shaking terribly, "Look at this, you gave this to me before you left for Tokyo-"

"I don't want to see that."

"You mean," she said cheerfully but nervously, "You already remembered it?"

"No. And even if everything you were talking about was true I'd forget about it."

"Aren't you happy to see me?" she murmured under her breath.

"Why would I be?"

"You told me before that you want us to be married after eight years."

"You must be dumb. If what you say was true, then haven't you realized how young we were back then? Such promises when made without the intelligence of age would be nothing but insensibility."

His harsh words crashed like stones to her face. She watched him got up, straightening his clothes.

"Ma," he called out to the kitchen, "I'm going out and don't expect me `till tomorrow. You shouldn't' have made me go here. My time was just wasted."

She watched his retreating form and she felt crystalline waters climbing out of her eyes. It shouldn't have been like this.

She felt her tears dropped though she was trying so hard to hide it.

Had she fallen?

End of Chapter Two.

Notes: So what do you think about chapter two? Not really good ne? I'm sorry for making our Kenshin as bad. I'm just making way for the next chapters.

Read and Review!

Thanks!