Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rekindled Darkness ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AN: Hello again! Here’s another short one, I’m hoping to try and post at least one of these a day if not two to make up for the length enjoy.

 

Disclaimer: do I really have to say it again? <Saito pulls out Katana> Ok, ok I don’t own Kenshin…. <pouts>

 

Chapter 3:

Kenshin turned around only to see Sano watching him.  “What do you want?” he asked coolly.

Sano just sauntered closer to him, “Kenshin, we need to talk.” Finally Sano came to a halt just in front of Kenshin and looked into his eyes. Brown met Blue as neither one let their eyes wander. “So what happened tonight?”

Kenshin narrowed his eyes slightly at the mention of the events that took place that evening. “It is nothing you need to worry about, Sano.” He paused then went on, “It has been taken care of.”

Sano’s own eyes narrowed did Kenshin think he was babying? “Kenshin, you can answer better than-“ He had taken a step closer but stopped at the look Kenshin gave him.

“It’s late. Lets get some sleep.”

Sano was about to protest, but one more look at Kenshin, made him quickly change his mind. “Che, alright, I’ll let it go tonight. See you tomorrow Kenshin.” With that he turned around hands in his pockets as he walked out of the dojo the ‘wicked’ on his back slowly faded into the distance.

Once he was completely out of sight Kenshin turned his head and glanced at Kaoru’s door, it was still closed with her safely sleeping inside… Quietly he walked over to the wall next to it and squatted down. He pulled his Sakabatou out of the side of his Hakama and rested it one on one shoulder before leaning his back against the wall and laying his head on his chest in a light sleep.   

As the sun rose the next morning, Kenshin was already up and preparing breakfast. He was almost finished when he noticed one small problem, he didn’t have anymore tofu…

Kaoru stirred from her futon, as she sat up and yawned, before stretching her arms. “What a dream…” The covers fell from her body and when she saw she still had her purple kimono on… “uh….” She took one had and fingered the fabric,  “It… wasn’t…” her head shot up. “Kenshin!”

In a matter of seconds she was up and racing out of her room. Her bear feet thundered on the wooden dojo floor “Kenshin!” she called out as she threw his door open, only to see the room, empty, and the futon neatly folded as if it hadn’t even been used… ‘He’s not here… Masaka!’ her eyes widened in panic, “Kenshin!” she called as she raced over to the bathroom knocking rapidly, on something soft?

“Owch! Oi! Ow- Bu- Owch! Su- Owch! Stop-Ow-It!” Yahiko yelled up at his teacher who looked down at him apologetically.

“Sorry Yahiko! I was just looking for Kenshin…” Her eyes started to tear up before she clenched her fists in determination and raced off toward the well “Kenshin!”

Yahiko watched after her retreating form with growing concern this wasn’t how she normally acted… her calls were beginning to sound more and more desperate as she looked at the wash tub, the dojo and finally the kitchen.

Kenshin was walking back home tofu in hand when he heard Kaoru frantic yell, “Kenshin!” Narrowing his eyes he put a hand on the hull of his sakabatou and dropping the tofu raced inside as fast as he could. ‘Who ever dared to hurt her or the boy will pay they are both under MY protection.’

Yahiko looked on from the door of the Kitchen in surprise, Kaoru’s shoulders shook as she stood with her back facing him in the kitchen, as small muffled sobs came from her, “It wasn’t a dream…a-and now that….” She sniffled as she continued to whisper between tears, “Kenshin no Baka…” Yahiko was just about to step into the room when something darted in. Yahiko quickly looked behind and to the side of him before turning back towards Kaoru to see ‘Kenshin!’

Kenshin stood in the kitchen his eyes glowing yellow with rage, his hand ready to draw the sword in an instant, however once he saw there was no enemy his blue eyes centered on the crying girl… ‘Kaoru…’ Without looking back he walked over and gently lead Kaoru out of the kitchen back to her room and closed the door softly behind him.

Yahiko just continued to stand in the door way for once in his life he was utterly speechless…