Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Rekindled Darkness ❯ Chapter 26

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Authors notes at bottom of chapter (sorry its 2 notes so its huge)

Disclaimer: (to Oscar mire wiener song) Oh I whish I owned Rurouni Kenshin cus I’d really like to be. But I don’t own Rurouni Kenshin and that’s the way it’s got to be. L

Chapter 26:

Kenshin narrowed his flaming yellow eyes as he raced toward his pray there would be no more playing around with this one, he would no longer hold back anything, this man was going all out so there was no reason he shouldn’t as well, if he could keep from killing him great, but if not, then his conscience would be clear for there was no other way…

Aoshi watched as the Battousai seemingly disappeared from sight, as he ran presumably towards him. He had to admit to himself that he was kind of disappointed, he was skilled yes, but he was still doing this too easily… what was he missing here?

His thoughts came screeching to a halt when the dull side of the sakabatou came down hard on his shoulder blade. A crack mixed with the rains song and Aoshi bit back a cry. His left arm throbbed from the fracture Kenshin had inflicted but at least the cold of the night mixed with the rain helped num it.

Kenshin stood behind his wounded opponent truth be told his back still stung from his earlier encounter with the tree. However he could not let a tiny thing like the stop or distract him for either one could mean death, he knew just as much as Aoshi, One of them would not leave this battle alive…

Aoshi turned around to fully face Kenshin, at least he finally understood why he was a legend and named the strongest, he wasn’t holding back anymore which meant this battle truly would decide the best warrior in the end… “Koi!” he breathed out as he narrowed his blue eyes, the breath from his mouth coming out like steam heating the chilly night air.

Kenshin didn’t waist a second as he used his god speed to fly toward him again. His sword was draw at an angle ready to block or strike depending on his opponent’s next move. When no move was made Kenshin whipped his sword up just barley grazing Aoshi’s throat who had managed to doge just in time to miss his head being lobed off. “Pity…” Kenshin muttered.

Cold eyes glared down at him. While he had certainly gotten in several good hits at the beginning of the fight Aoshi was beginning to wonder if he’d get any more? However, he would not give up easily he thought of his wounded companions and his mouth thinned. The Batousai must pay.

The clang of steel on steel mixed with the sound of the falling rain and the slushing sound of the mud that the pair slid effortlessly on during their deadly dance. Lighting flashed in the sky as the storm grew worse than before. Aoshi tried to use the fact that he had two swords to his advantage and attacked Kenshin on both sides at once. However his eyes widened again as he realized that neither kodachi hit its mark. Quickly analyzing what went wrong his mind stopped for a second in wonder the red haired swordsman had used his sheath to block the other sword. The second cost him. Kenshin quickly brought his sword back up and smashed it as hard as he could with the flat end into Aoshi’s Stomach. The taller man let out a groan as he slid back several feet hunching over in pain. Not giving him anytime to retaliate, Kenshin pushed his advantage he was lading hit after hit. It wouldn’t be long now till Aoshi lost consciousness he was sure.

The pair of muddy girls had finally managed to pull themselves back up from the ground and were once again looking for the red haired warrior that had raced past them earlier. Kaoru herself was really glad she had run into Misao after all today simply was just not her day and the laughter the pair had just shared greatly improved her outlook. Sure she had lost her home to her horrible cooking skills but houses can be rebuilt, people cannot. So at least everyone would be ok… thinking of Sano she shook her head, at least she hoped every one would be ok.

They walked quietly on wards; they had started to hear the sounds of metal clashing up ahead. Through the rain if they squinted hard enough the girls could make out a pair of silhouettes gracefully fighting against one another. However, it seemed the shorter one was gaining the upper hand. Both girls wondered if they had found Kenshin at last or if there was another fight completely unrelated occurring before them? The lightning flashed again revealing the identity of both men before them. At that moment the red haired swordsman struck his opponent in the back of the neck with his blade, causing the taller man to fall to the ground. Misou gasped. Her world seemed to be crashing around her, the man they had been chasing for Kaoru, he had just struck her Aoshi!

“Aoshi-sama!” she cried out tiring to be herd over the weather. Realizing it was futile but desperately needing to reach his side the weasel girl shot off as fast as she could towards the pair before her. Kaoru raced after her trying to figure out what had gotten into her new friend.

Lighting lit the sky once more, however it struck the tree that Kenshin had crashed into earlier causing the tree to crack more fully. Misao was almost there! She was almost to her Aoshi-sama! Kaoru only half a step behind her. Then the tree groaned and bargain to fall right toward the path the two girls were headed in. Hearing the sound both simultaneously turned their heads to look and what they saw had them desperately trying to stop but all they managed to do was slide in the mud. They were going to get hit!

Kaoru let out a scream as she realized that this was it.

Kenshin’s head snapped behind him at all the noise. What he saw and herd made his blood run cold. He recognized that scream. “Kaoru!” he cried as he was moving faster than he had ever moved before. ‘please don’t let her die!’ his mind begged , ‘not again!’ his mind thinking back to another woman that he had also failed to save, “never that again!” he hissed as he slid using the mud to give him an extra boost of speed.

He crashed into the first girl and pulled her towards himself before holding out his other arm and grabbing a hold of Kaoru’s arm pitched himself forward so that all three of them tumbled to the ground safely away from the trees path that fell seconds later with a muddy thud.

Taking a deep breath Kaoru looked at the tree and the irony hit her that this was the second tree that had nearly fell on her today. Looking up at a very muddy Kenshin and let out a small giggle he was probably furious but it was almost cute seeing him covered in the mud like a little boy. Besides her luck Kenshin would never let her near a tree again after this.

Kenshin narrowed his eyes as his girl laughed at him! Did she not understand that she almost died? Once again he reinforced the idea that he needed to talk with her and soon. Glancing back at the tree his hand clenched today obviously was not Kaoru’s day to be near any tress what so ever. He made a mental note to never let the trees at the dojo get much taller than himself. Offering a hand to each girl he helped them up to their feet. The rain making quick work of the mud that clung to them. “Stay here.” He commanded softly, giving a pointed look to Kaoru. Kaoru had the grace to blush realizing that she most likely deserved that comment.

Turning he walked back over to his unconscious opponent. He picked him up and threw the unconscious body over his shoulder. Honestly it was quite a comical sight. Even though Kenshin was already a very lean and petite man, the size difference between Aoshi and Kenshin caused Kenshin to look even smaller than usual. However appearances were very deceiving Kenshin seemed to be holding Aoshi effortlessly on his shoulder. “Come” he called to the girls. He honestly had no clue who the second girl was, but he might as well bring her with him, after all the rain was pouring down and it would be no place for a girl to be alone. To be candid the weather was also the main force behind him taking Aoshi with him as well. He never particularly cared for the idea of taking prisoners but while they had him who knows maybe they could use that to their advantage…

Misou followed along with Kaoru , her gaze locked on Aoshi. She didn’t like seeing him hurt but for now she’d follow and as soon as they arrived at their destination she’d take care of him and try to figure out why the red haired man would ever dream of hurting her Aoshi-sama who was one of the greatest people in the whole world.

New AN: ok I honestly forgot a lot of things I did earlier in this story but I really wanted to get this out for you guys since I promised it forever ago, so I hope I skimmed enough that it fits ok. Also I know after I wrote it I found out there already was a tree insolent, but I really liked how it turned out so anyways I hope the characters’ comments on it pacify all for a repeat occurrence. Anyways enjoy and thank al of you for the great reviews I’ve been looking at them and I finally sat down to write this. If you’d like to leave me a suggestion on what you’d think could happen I’ll consider it as I am trying to fit back into my own story and I’m not sure if I’m really succeeding or not. Any ty my original A/N is below if you wish to see what I wrote originally…. Is it bad when you go back and read your story and honestly remember reading it but are shocked that you’re the one who wrote it? Sigh I’m so bad…. See ya

Original AN: Hi guys! Sorry it’s taken soooooo long, tell you the truth I was waiting to continue till I had real time to work on this (between college semesters or something) but I got soooooooooooooooooooooooo many emails and reviews asking, begging and pleading for this next chappy so just for the record congratulations you pleas worked ///. I’m not giving up on the story, but updates won’t be fast like in the summer cuz my classes love to keep me busy and out of trouble but I will keep working on this bit by bit . Oh good news I’m almost completely done with girl scouts now I did my gold project on Saturday the 23 of August and have recently received word that I will receive the award soon ! (the gold award is the equivalent of a eagle scout in boy scouting) Anyway hope you guys like! Once again I apologize.