Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Sano Diaries

Chapter 01

It was the first day of spring. Everyone at the Kamiya Dojo was enjoying the day. Karou was sitting on the porch sipping tea. Yahiko was practicing in the yard. Kenshin was doing the laundry as usual. Suddenly, Sano walks through the front gate. Everyone's eyes focus on Sano. He looks like he had just been beaten up. There were bruises on his shoulder and abdomen and he could barely walk. But the look on his face was not one of anger or pain; in fact the crooked smile on his face seemed more like intrigue than anything else.

Kaoru: Sanosuke, what happened?

But Sano ignored her and kept walking. Kaoru became angry at this. She ran up behind him and smacked him in the back of the head.

Sanosuke: (yelling) What was that for?

Kaoru: (yelling back) Listen to me when I'm talking to you. What's wrong with you anyway?

Kenshin intervenes…

Kenshin: Sano tell me what happened. Are you all right?

Sanosuke: Huh? I'm alright. (suddenly becoming embarrassed) Uh, nothing happened.

Kaoru: (yelling) What are you talking about you idiot?! Look at you!

Sanosuke: (yelling) Who's an idiot?!

Kenshin: Please calm down you two. Sano it's obvious something happened to you, that it is. Who did this to you?

A flush of red comes over Sano's cheeks…

Sanosuke: Uh, no one…

Yahiko: Come on Sano. The guy who did this to you must have been really strong.

Another flush of red lights up Sanosuke's cheeks as he looks away. Kenshin and Kaoru begin to suspect something.

Kaoru: Oooh, don't tell me it was your girlfriend who did this to you…

Sano's entire face is red as he yells at Kaoru…

Sanosuke: (yelling) Shut up! I told you nothing happened so leave me alone!

In the background you hear Yahiko chanting "Sano's got a girl friend, Sano's got a girl friend…" Seconds later Sanosuke punches him in the head, then walks away. Kaoru and Kenshin watch him leave.

Kaoru: Kenshin, what do you think happened to Sano? Could a girl really have done that to him?

Kenshin: I don't know. It couldn't have been an ordinary girl. Did you notice the pattern of bruises on Sanosuke's body?

Kaoru: What do you mean?

Kenshin: (thoughtfully) They were only surface bruises, purposely placed. They were meant to slow him down long enough so whoever did this to him could get away. They were not meant to seriously injure him. Only a master martial artist could accomplish this. I can think of only a few schools who would know such a technique.

Kaoru: …master martial artist…only a few schools…

As the day went on things returned to normal. Yahiko and Kaoru cleaned the Dojo while Kenshin started to prepare dinner. When Sanosuke regained his composure he joined Kenshin in the kitchen.

Sanosuke: Uh, Kenshin?

Kenshin: What is it Sano?

Sanosuke: Uh, Kenshin…have you ever…uh…never mind

Kenshin: Spit it out Sano, I can tell there is something on your mind, that I can.

Sanosuke: Have you ever…have you ever been beat by a girl?

Kenshin: [so a girl really did do this to him…] Eh? Why do you ask?

Sanosuke: (sighs) I might as well tell you. You've probably already figured it out anyway. When I went into town today I thought that I would buy myself some rice cakes for lunch and eat them on the way back. When I got to the store there was only one box left. This girl had grabbed for the box the same time I did. We started arguing over it and I guess it got a little out of hand.

(Kenshin in background "A little he says…")

Anyway the argument turned into a full-blown fight. I have never met anyone like her. She easily kept up with me. She blocked every one of my blows. I could do nothing to defend myself. Of course part of me was in shock and I would have never fought her to my full potential anyway. But this is the part that really gets me Kenshin, I think she was holding back too. I got the feeling that she could have really hurt me if she wanted to. Doesn't that sound crazy?

Kenshin: She was.

Sanosuke: What?!

Kenshin: She was holding back. Haven't you noticed that the bruises you got have almost completely disappeared?

Sano checks himself out

Sanosuke: Hey, you're right! But how, how could I lose to a girl who wasn't even putting all of her effort into the fight?

Kenshin: The girl you fought was no ordinary girl. Only a master martial artist can inflict that kind of damage. I think you got off lucky.

Sanosuke: Lucky?! You've got to be kidding! I got humiliated in public. On top of that…I got banned from the store.

Kenshin just smiles and as Sano turns to leave they hear the front gate open. Standing at the gate is a 19-year-old girl wearing a purple Kimono. She has long brown hair and bears a striking resemblance to Kaoru. In one hand she carries a large bag, in the other she holds a box of rice cakes.

Mystery Girl: I'm home!

Everyone goes out to see who is there. When Sano sees her he gets instantly angry.

Sanosuke: Hey! What are you doing here?! If you followed me here to finish the fight I'm ready for you! I won't hold back this time either!

Kenshin thinks to himself [Is that really the girl who beat Sano this afternoon? She doesn't look…] Then something around her neck catches his eye [That can't be…she is wearing the crest of the Tendo School. Only 15 people were ever said to have earned such an honor.]

Before the Mystery girl has a chance to respond Kaoru runs in front of her and faces Sano with her arms out stretched.

Kaoru: Sano what are you doing! You must've mistaken her for someone else. This is my sister Sakura.

Everyone: Sister?!

The scene moves to inside the house. Everyone is sitting around the table drinking tea.

Yahiko: Kaoru, I didn't know you had a sister. Why didn't you tell us about her before?

Kaoru seems at a loss for words when Sakura buts in.

Sakura: I don't blame Kaoru for not talking about me. I guess I have always been the black sheep of the family. I was not content with just learning swordsmanship. I had to see what else was out there. So I left home when I was eight years old and wandered all over Japan. I wanted to try out different things until I found something that felt right to me. After I had been on my own for about a year I was taken in by the Tendo School. And that is where I have remained for the past ten years.

Sanosuke: Tendo School?

Kenshin: The Tendo School has a long history. They are said to except only those that are pure of heart. Like the Kamiya School, its techniques were established to protect people. It is said that one who masters these techniques is practically unbeatable.

Yahiko: Whoa! Sano got beat up by a girl! (laughs)

Sanosuke punches Yahiko in the head and says nothing.

Sakura: Very good Kenshin, you know a lot about the Tendo School. Anyway like I was saying, I don't blame Kaoru for not talking about me, because since I left home we have only seen each other once. Right after our father had died. Kaoru probably didn't think that I would ever return again. Kaoru, I'm sorry that I could not stay with you at that difficult time. My training was not complete. I don't blame you if you wish to turn me away. I'm sure you have lived most of your life feeling as if you did not have a sister.

Kaoru: Sakura-chan…You've always been a free spirit. I don't blame you for leaving all those years ago. Our father always knew that day would come. I'm just glad to have you back.

Sakura: Kaoru….thank you…oh, by the way…I brought you a gift! Your favorite rice cakes!

Sano is steaming in the background

Sakura: (looking at Sano) Huh? Oh, sorry chicken boy. I didn't hurt you too badly did I?

Sanosuke: (has face was red with embarrassment and rage) (yelling) Chicken boy! My name is Sagara Sanosuke!

Sakura: ok, ok, calm down (holding out open box to him) No hard feelings alright?

Then she smiled at him and Sano felt himself blushing. [what is it about this girl? What is this I'm feeling? Every time she looks at me I just…]

Sanosuke: (as he takes a rice cake) no hard feelings.

Sano walks outside and sits on the porch eating his rice cake. Inside Yahiko and Kaoru are a little confused. So Kenshin and Sakura fill them in on the first meeting between Sanosuke and Kaoru's older sister.

As the evening continues Kenshin and Yahiko decide to clean up after dinner. Sano had already left to take a walk and this gave the two sisters a chance to talk.

Sakura: Kaoru, there are so many people staying here, are they all your students?

Kaoru: No, only Yahiko. The others are just friends that I've picked up along the way.

Sakura: Oh? Well I'm glad you haven't been lonely. I really have been worried about you Kaoru. Even if I wasn't around. Forgive me for not coming home sooner.

Kaoru: Don't be silly. You're always welcome here. This is your home too.

Sakura: Say Kaoru, tell me, that man with the sword…I have heard rumors about someone with a cross shaped scar like his…they say he is the Hitokiri Battousai…

Kaoru told the story of Kenshin and how he came to live at the Kamiya school. She told Sakura about what they had been through together and how she thinks of him…and all of her friends as family.

Sakura: Wow! My little sis has been through a lot in my absence. Things really do change…

Kaoru: I'm sorry, I've been talking all night. You must be tired from your trip. Lets go to bed and you can start telling me all about your adventures in the morning.

Kaoru and Sakura head off to bed. The others are long since asleep. Sakura gets taken to her old room. The one that she had slept in as a kid. Almost nothing had changed.

Kaoru: I've missed you too Sakura. Welcome home.

The memories in this room were so strong, Sakura was taken aback. Memories of her childhood filled her senses. She was taken back to the time when her and her little sister were best friends. A time when they practiced swordsmanship together and played together. A time that has never felt closer. A time that seems like it could have happened yesterday. And yet there was something else on her mind. Something she couldn't quit place. Before she finished unpacking she decided to go for a midnight run to clear her head.

After changing into her martial arts uniform she quietly slipped out of the house. [No need to wake anyone up. I'll just go for a quick run and be back in no time]. Once she was out of the house her thoughts were filled with the man she beat up in market place earlier that day. The man she now knows as Sagara Sanosuke. [How was I supposed to know he was a friend of Kaoru's anyway? He looked just like a common thug with that "wicked" symbol on his back. What's wrong with me…why can't I get that guy out of my head? I'm a martial artist, I need to focus…I need…] THUD!

Sanosuke: Hey watch were you're going! Haven't you beaten me up enough for one day.

As Sakura looked around she realized that she hadn't been watching where she was going and ran head on into Sanosuke knocking them both down.

Sakura: Oh! I'm sorry! (quickly getting to her feet) Let me help…

Sanosuke: (getting to his feet) I don't need any help from a clumsy girl like you! What are you doing running around here at night anyway?

Sakura: Its been so long since I've been home and I've got a lot on my mind…I guess I just wanted to…Hey! I could ask you the same thing!

Sanosuke: Well actually I wasn't running. I was walking. And I guess…um…That's none of your business!

Sakura: (with a smug smile on her face) Ah! You couldn't sleep huh? Something on your mind?

Sanosuke: Actually yes. You've only been home once in the past eleven years, huh. Tell me, why did you choose to come back now of all times?

Sakura: Uh, it's a long story…are you sure you want it hear it?

Sanosuke: Yes, that question has been bugging me since dinner. I need to know.

Sakura: (sighs) Ok, I'll tell you as much as I can. I already told you that the Tendo school in Hokkaido took me in when I was nine years old. What you don't know is that the Tendo school is very strict. They told me I would not be able to return home until my training was complete. They believe that any outside distractions during training will weaken the spirit and hinder the training.

Sanosuke: So that's why-

Sakura: I'm not finished yet! I said it was a long story remember. Just listen. I knew going into the training that there was a possibility that I would never see my family again, and I was ok with that. When I received word of my father's death I did get permission to visit home for a short while. I had to make sure Kaoru would be alright. I knew when I left again that she would be. I told her of my training and of the possibly that we would never see each other again. Many people have spent their entire lives trying to master the Tendo style. Why should I have been any different? I was determined however to become stronger so that I may return home once again. After eight years I earned this (holding out her necklace) the crest of the Tendo school. Only very few have ever earned such a high honor. Around the time I had earned my crest local dojos were starting to be attacked. A group of thugs would ambush the dojos in a very dishonorable fashion, while everyone inside was asleep. As protectors of the community some of our students were sent to other dojos incase anything were to happen. The dojo where I was staying eventually did get ambushed. While most of the thugs were fended off by the school's students I went after the lead guy, Okano Nakajima. After a long battle I finally won. He said that was the first time he ever lost to a girl and that I'd be sorry. He escaped before the authorities could detain him and he has been after me and the Tendo school ever since for ruining his plans. I know the school can take are of itself…However…

Sanosuke: However?

Sakura: …Never mind. The point is, after that I went back to my master and asked to learn the secret techniques of the Tendo style. Only those who have earned the crest of the Tendo school are allowed to learn these techniques and I was finally ready. I spent the last two years mastering these techniques and protecting the school. The last few months have been quiet. Too quiet. Regardless, two weeks ago my master told me that it was time for me to go home. He said that I have learned all I can from him and it was time for me to learn from life. Whatever that means. Anyway, since Okano was not causing any more trouble he felt the school would be safe and things would return to normal. I was hesitant to come back home however. Okano still had not been caught and I worried that he may follow me here. But after two weeks of wondering around Japan I finally decided to come home and take my chances.

Sanosuke: (with a look of shock and disbelief) You have already earned the crest of the Tendo school and have mastered its secret techniques?

Sakura: Yes

Sanosuke: I thought you were holding out on me today, but I had no idea…OK you must promise to spar with me again.

Sakura: (surprised) huh?

Sanosuke: I was holding back too. It wouldn't have looked too good if I beat up a girl in the market place, but now that I know that you are no ordinary girl I want a rematch! This time I Sagara Sanosuke will not lose! HA HA HA!

Sakura: (still a little surprised) um, well…if you insist…but…

Just then Sakura rushes to hug Sanosuke. Sano is caught off guard, and not sure what to do. Having her body so close to his sends all these wonderful feelings throughout his body. He can't remember what they were just talking about. Her cheek is touching his and all he really wants to do is kiss her.

Although this moment felt like an eternity it only lasted a few seconds. When Sakura pulled away Sano was shocked beyond words.

Sakura: I'm sorry for seeming so forward, but this (she held up a small dagger with a note attached to it) was aimed right for the back of your head. It was the only way I could think of to save you.

Sano was taken aback.

Sanosuke: (first he blushes with embarrassment over what he was just thinking) [How did she do that? How did she see it coming? Why couldn't I sense it?] (then he gets mad) I never asked you to save me!

Sakura: Should I have let you die then? I couldn't allow myself to do that, no matter how stubborn you are!

Sanosuke: Stubborn! Eh?…(just noticing the note tied to the dagger)…shouldn't you read that?

Sakura: (reads note) "If you ever want to see your sister and the little boy again, meet me at the usual place. Signed Okano."

In this moment they are both paralyzed by the words of the note.

Sanosuke: …Okano…usual place?…

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When Sano and Sakura heard Kaoru scream they ran toward the house. When they got there they found Kenshin with his sword drawn.

Sanosuke: Kenshin, what happened?

Kenshin: Kaoru and Yahiko have just been kidnapped. I was too late to stop it.

Sakura: (under her breath) Okano

Kenshin: (looking at Sakura with disbelieving eyes) Okano?

Sakura: (as if being snapped out of a trance): Yes. Okano. I know where he is taking them. It's not too far from here.

Kenshin: Sakura you and Sano go after them. I'll get the police chief and meet you there.

Sano and Sakura ran towards Okano's hiding place. As they did Sanosuke had a few questions for Sakura.

Sanosuke: Sakura, how do you know where this jerk's hiding place is anyway?

Sakura: Shortly after I had beaten Okano he kidnapped my best friend from the Tendo school. Her name was Akane. I came here to face Okano for what I thought was the final time. But it was a trap. He had his thugs ambush me. Okano wasn't even there. I barely made it out alive. Akane wasn't so lucky.

Sanosuke could not reply. He just thought to himself [What kind of low life is this guy? How can anyone use such cheep tactics just to hurt another person?! I can't wait to beat this jerk's face in!]. They ran the rest of the way in silence. Eventually they came up to a huge mansion. It looked kind of run down, like no one had lived there in years.

Sakura: Don't let the looks fool you. Be on guard.

Sanosuke: Right

As they approached the main gate of Okano's mansion they were ambushed by 40 armed guards.

Guard #1: Hey where do you think you two are going? We're here to make sure you don't make it past this gate.

Sanosuke: You're a lot of talk for being somebody's flunky! C'mon lets fight!

As Sanosuke and Sakura started to fight the guards, it became obvious that Sakura was a very experienced fighter. It was amazing how she was able to dodge all of their blows. Here speed was phenomenal. Sakura took out most of the guards with only one hit. Sanosuke's thoughts were racing. [What kind of martial arts is the Tendo style? I've never seen anything like this.]. In a matter of minutes Sakura had disposed of half the guards and Sano was getting distracted watching Sakura fight. [Whoa! That chick can really fight! I mean she was good when she beat me, but-] AGH!

Sanosuke took a blow to the face and hit the ground hard.

Sakura: Watch out you idiot! (as she is beating down the guy who hit Sano) Are you trying to get yourself killed? What were you thinking of anyway?

Sanosuke: (quickly getting to his feet and hoping that Sakura won't notice the small patches of red that have broken out on his cheeks) Uh…nothing [What Was I thinking?! This in no time to think of anything but fighting!]. OK time to get serious.

After a few more minutes the fighting was over. Score; Sakura 28, Sano 12.

Sakura: Help me up, we need to get over the gate.

As soon as Sakura was on top of the gate a chain came from out of nowhere, wrapped around her right ankle, and pulled her down.

Sanosuke: Sakura!

Just then a loud voice could be heard. The voice of Okano. "Ah! Sakura, so we meet again. I see you brought someone with you this time. No matter. You may have crossed the gate but I will dispose of you both. Once and for all! (to the guards in front of the house) Kill them!"

Sano quickly jumped over the gate where five guards were waiting for him. He could see a big guy holding the chain that was attached to Sakura's ankle. The big guy was dragging her along the ground and kept trying to slam her into the wall. Luckily, she had been able to block his attempts so far, however, she knew that she couldn't keep this up for long. In the background Sano heard someone laughing and that is what really set him off.

Sanosuke: You jerks! (as he takes out all five opponents at once). Sakura!

Sano barely made it between the wall and Sakura's almost limp body. Her defenses had worn down and her energy was depleted.

Sakura: (wearily) Sano?

Sanosuke: Hang in there Sakura, I'll take care of this guy! (Sano rips the chain out from the big guy's hand.) Now you have to face me!

Sano finishes the fight quickly and goes to check on Sakura.

Sanosuke: Are you alright?

Sakura: I'm fine. C'mon we don't have any time to waist!

Sanosuke takes a good look at her ankle and knows that she is obviously lying. It doesn't quit look broken, but he wonders if she will be able to walk.

Sanosuke: (as he helps her to her feet) Sakura, your ankle is-

Sakura: I'm fine! Let's go.

Sakura seemed to regain some energy and was surprisingly able to walk. As they entered the mansion it looked like another 40 guards were waiting for them in front of the main stairwell. But to their surprise these guards were being held off by an orange-hared man with a reverse blade sword.

Sakura & Sanosuke: Kenshin!

Kenshin: I'll take care of these guys you two go find Okano

Sakura ran ahead

Sakura: Follow me, I know where the secret stair case is.

Sanosuke: How-

Sakura: I already told you stupid, I've been here before

As they made their way toward Okano's room Sakura secretly prayed in her heart that Kaoru and Yahiko would not befall the same fate that her friend Akane had faced. With this she pushed forward ignoring the pain that was rising up from her badly sprained ankle. She had to block out all feeling and emotions until the final battle with Okano was over. As they approached their final destination, Sakura saw that Okano's deadliest henchman was waiting for them.

Sakura: Sano, this guy isn't going to be easy. We are going to have to attack at the same time. GO!

Both land their punches, however the henchman appears unfazed by the attack and actually begins to smile. Realizing that it was going to take more than there combined strength to beat this guy, Sakura decided that it was time to used one of the secret techniques of the Tendo school.

Sakura rushes the guy then dodges at the last minute, she needs to get behind him. Its no good, he turns and strikes. As she blocks Sano gets a hit in, then gets thrown to the ground. The henchman was only distracted for a few seconds, but for someone who has mastered the Tendo Style, that's all you need. Sakura was able to use her secret technique, which renders the opponent instantly unconscious.

Sakura: Beyond those doors its really going to begin. Are you ready?

Sanosuke: Lets go!

They kick the door in and Okano is waiting for them. Kaoru and Yahiko are tied up in the corner, but they seem alright. Sano unties them while Sakura is left to face off with Okano.

Okano: So you made it all the way this time. I guess its up to me to put an end to you permanently.

Sakura: Sano, take Kaoru and the boy and get them out of here.

Sanosuke: NO WAY! We are not leaving you! We need to see you finish this fight!

Sakura: Fine, then stay back

Kenshin walks in, just in time to see the beginning of the fight. Okano is impulsive. He makes the first move and lunges toward Sakura. She easily avoids the punch. Despite her swollen ankle Sakura hasn't lost any of her speed. The fighting goes on for several minutes. Okano is obviously getting worn down and he hasn't been able to lay a finger on Sakura.

Kaoru: Wow, she's great! Even though she is injured, her speed is remarkable!

Yahiko: Yeah, why didn't you tell me your sister was so cool. She's kickin' butt! She's also a lot better looking than you.

Kaoru: What did you say?! (Kaoru and Yahiko start fighting I the background while Kenshin tries to intervene.)

Kenshin: Oro

Meanwhile Sano can't take his eyes off of the fight between Sakura and Okano. [How can she fight so well when she is that badly injured? I've seen Kenshin do it, but he's one of a kind isn't he? How long can she keep this up?]. Then something happens that captures everyone's attention. Sakura was in midair, ready to give her final blow when Okano pulls out a hidden dagger and stabs her in the side. Sakura falls to the ground and is rendered unconscious. Okano just laughs.

Sanosuke: NO! Sakura!

Kenshin: Sano-

Sanosuke: If Sakura cannot finish this fight, then I Sagara Sanosuke will finish it for her

So begins the dual between Sanosuke and Okano. Sanosuke is filled with adrenaline and is determined to win this fight. The others are attending to Sakura.

Sanosuke: Tell me, Tell me why you started ambushing dojos and fighting so dishonorably!

Okano: Dishonorably?! If the students at those dojos would have been worthy then they would not have lost. A martial arts student should be prepared for an attack at any time. Those that are not suffer the consequences. I was merely trying to point out the short comings in their training.

Sanosuke: Bullshit! It is never honorable to attack someone when they are asleep. And what about Sakura?! She beat you fair and square and now you want her dead.

Okano: Sakura stood in the way of my ultimate goal. To make my technique known as Japan's strongest fighting style. Once I defeated all the dojos in the area, there would be no other choice but mine. But Sakura and the Tendo dojo have been a thorn in my side since day one. Once I take care of you little brats the Tendo dojo should fall easily.

Sakura: Don't be so sure of that.

Sano and Okano are in awe. [How can she be standing? Look at her battle aura! It's much stronger than before…]

Sakura: Everyone at the Tendo school is well trained and ready for you. But you don't have to worry about that because I intend to finish it right here.

Sanosuke: Sakura, you're hurt-

Sakura: This is MY fight! I intend to finish it!

With that said the fight between Sakura and Okano resumes. Sakura is obviously injured but somehow she is able to hold her own. Okano gets a hit in.

Okano: Give up girl, in ten more seconds you'll be reunited with your friend in heaven

Then from out of no where Sakura moves with the speed of lightning. She delivers a right knee jab to the face and brings him down with one final move. Her last move was so fast, no one was quite sure what exactly she had done. But whatever she did rendered Okano completely unconscious in a matter of seconds.

Okano was taken into custody and it was finally time to go back home. Sano kneeled by Sakura on the floor.

Sanosuke: Are you alright? Can you stand?

Sakura: You may not believe this, but I don't think I can walk

The group busts out laughing. Sano helps her to her feet. Even with the help Sakura can barely stand and the pain she was suppressing for battle hits her all at once. Sano kneels down in front of her.

Sanosuke: Here

Sakura: Here what?

Sanosuke: You can't walk right? Get on.

Sakura: But…

Sanosuke: The offers' only good for another five seconds

Sakura smiles and gets on Sano's back.

Sanosuke: I'll take her to Dr. Gensai's. You guys go home, I'll keep you posted on her condition.

Sakura: I'm sorry everyone, for causing you all so much trouble.

Kenshin: We're glad that you are all right. Just get well soon Sakura-dono.

Kaoru: Yes, just get better soon sis! I'll see you at home.

Sakura thinks to herself [home…Its good to finally be back home…]

Yahiko: You were so cool! You'll have to teach me some moves when you get better.

Sakura: (smiles) It's a deal, I'll see you all later.

Sano leaves with Sakura on his back.