Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 10

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 10

Once everyone was awake, Kaoru left to get Megumi and Sakura went into Sano's room to check on him.

Sakura: (Sitting next to him) So, how are you?

Sanosuke: Awful…but…(he starts to blush)…seeing you… [How can I tell her that seeing her, it makes me feel better…]

Sakura smiles.

Sakura: (noticing the red in Sano's cheeks) Seeing me…?

Sanosuke was speechless as he looked into Sakura's amazing eyes. In the midst of Sano's gaze Sakura also begins to blush, also becoming speechless.

Megumi enters.

Sakura: Ah! Megumi…I was just leaving.

Sakura leaves and stands outside of the door. [What's wrong with me…why couldn't I say anything?………]

Kaoru: Sakura, what are you doing?

Sakura: Eh? Nothing…how's Kenshin?

Kaoru: Good. His wounds weren't too deep and he is resting now. How's Sano?

The girls walk outside and sit on the porch.

Sakura: Huh? I don't know. Megumi is in there now… Uh… Kaoru… has Sano ever… I mean… um… why do you think Sano went to Yokohama by himself?

Kaoru: Huh? That guy is so stubborn! Once he gets an idea in his head he just does it. He always just does what he wants.

Sakura: Yeah, but…why did he want to do that? That's what I can't figure out…

Kaoru: (hesitantly) Uh… Sakura… I don't know if this is the right time to tell you this but… well… There is a lot you don't know about the night you fought Koyama.

Sakura: Huh? Like what?

Kaoru: Well, after you were hit with the poisoned dart, some of Koyama's men tried to kidnap you. Kenshin went after them and Sanosuke stayed behind to finish the fight.

Sakura: Wha-

Kaoru: (cutting Sakura off and raising her own voice) Sano almost killed him.

Silence hung in the air like a black cloud on an otherwise sunny day. Sakura understood the gravity of the situation. All the blood seemed to have drained out of her face. Sakura was completely pale. Kaoru made herself continue, she couldn't stop now.

Kaoru: Luckily, Yahiko and I were able to stop him in time. Then he ran after you. I'm a little hazy on the details, but apparently the guy who had kidnapped you threw you off the bridge. You were headed for some sharp rocks below. There's no way you could have survived a fall like that. Sano jumped in after you and saved you. Then he took you to Dr. Gensai's where you woke up.

For a moment Sakura could not speak.

Sakura: Why…? Why would he…

Kaoru: Probably for the same reason you followed him to Yokohama.

Color suddenly returned to Sakura's cheeks and she looked away. [It can't be can it? Could he really-]. Megumi called for Sakura and she went to see what Megumi wanted.

Sakura: What is it?

Megumi: Sano needs to stay in bed for about a week. The wound on his shoulder is going to take some time to heal. I need you to look after him.

Sakura: Me? Why-

Megumi: (cutting her off) The fact that you have been fighting when your ankle hasn't healed shows me how stubborn you are. The fact that you followed him to Yokohama by yourself shows me that you obviously care for that idiot. And that's a perfect combination.

Megumi's words brought even more color to Sakura's cheeks. Sakura was once again speechless. Sanosuke over heard all of this and his eyes widened with disbelief. He had no idea that Sakura went to Yokohama by herself. [That idiot! Why would she do that…could she really…?]

Megumi: Now get in there and make him drink this tea, it'll help restore his energy.

Megumi pushes Sakura into Sanosuke's room and closes the door. Sakura just stands there, tea in hand. Sano notices the color in her cheeks and suddenly Sakura is not the only one who is blushing. Sakura must have only stood there for a few seconds, but to her it felt like an eternity. All she could do is stand and stare. Sano finally broke the silence.

Sanosuke: Sakura…?

Finally breaking out of her trance…

Sakura: Sano…(she walks over to him, kneels down beside him, and hands him the tea)…here, Megumi said for you to drink this. (her face was still all red) Um Sano…?

Sanosuke: What is it?

Sakura: …nothing…um…well…I was wondering why you left to fight Akiyama by yourself?

Sanosuke: Sakura… … …It was just something I had to do.

Sakura: (growing angry) WHY! Why did you go alone!

Sanosuke: (yelling) Because I had too! It was MY fight-

Sakura: (cutting him off) NO IT WASN'T! It was NOT your fight!

Sanosuke stopped cold. [She's right…It wasn't my fight. But…the thought of almost losing her…it made it personal…]

------------------------------------

After a long silence… … …

Sanosuke: I thought I would be protecting you…(adding quickly) and everyone… if I went alone. I had no idea that you would follow me… When I wrote you the note I purposely left out the location of Akiyama's lair…that way… (becoming enraged) HEY! What were you thinking, following me in the first place! You didn't even know where you were going!

Sakura: (yelling back at him) WHY did you beat Koyama within an inch from death?! (in a much softer voice) Why did you risk your life to save mine?

Sanosuke: (crimson erupting in his cheeks) I…I…

Looking into Sakura's face Sano could not find the words. His mind went blank. [What were we just arguing about?] Sakura's face was so close to his, he could feel each breath on his skin. His heart was racing. He noticed the way her hair fell across her forehead, her piercing eyes looking into him, her lips…

Just then Yahiko bursts into the room.

Yahiko: Hey Sano-

The teacup Sanosuke had been drinking from was now aquatinted with the front of Yahiko's face. Yahiko toppled backwards and stayed in that position for a good five minutes. Sakura quickly got up and left the room. Sano's face slightly resembled a tomato as he sat there in wonderment. Wondering just what might have happened, had Yahiko not interrupted them.