Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 16

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 16 - Breaking Point

Kenshin's group wakes up at the first sign of daybreak. Kenshin is plagued by a sense of urgency and the feeling of evil seems to linger in the cold mountain air. Kaoru shivers. Perhaps she also senses that something is wrong. The group makes their way up the trail now able to follow Sano's footprints (which were much easier to track). Kaoru prayed that Sano had made it there in time. But something felt wrong.

------------------------------------

Sano finally reached the place where the tracks ended. They seemed to go into a cave that looked as though it were deserted. However, Sano knew better. He had been in this situation before. Suddenly a cloaked assailant emerged from the shadows and lunged toward him. Sano countered with a kick that sent the assailant flying toward the wall of the cave. Sano's attacker gave a cry of pain that tugged at his heart. The assailant's hood came down and Sano could now see that he had kicked his beloved into the wall. Sano was momentarily paralyzed with disbelief. It was Sakura… and yet it wasn't. Her eyes. They were void of all emotion. Sakura the assailant got to her feet. She attacked and missed.

Sanosuke: What…

Sakura attacked again, and hit. Sano toppled backwards, still not believing what it is he is seeing.

Sanosuke: (stunned) What's wrong with you?

Sakura offered no answer and continued to attack. Sanosuke dodged. His adrenalin was pumping. [What am I supposed to do? I can't fight her. But if I keep trying to dodge her attacks, she'll eventually ware me down.] Sano misses another blow.

Sanosuke: Sakura, its me Sanosuke… Don't you remember me?

Still no answer. Sano is exhausted. He continues trying to talk some sense into Sakura while dodging her attacks; but nothing seems to be working. Sakura lands another hit. Sano is thrown to the floor. Sano sees his friends coming up in the background. Sano has just enough time to avoid Sakura's next move and to yell at Kenshin to stop. Kenshin had used his incredible speed to move in behind Sakura. He could have taken her down with one swing of his reverse blade sword. Kenshin stopped mid-swing. Kaoru stands there horrified.

Sanosuke: Kenshin, let ME handle this.

Sano ducks and misses yet another attack. Kenshin backs off.

Kaoru: Kenshin, what's going on here?

Kenshin: Something sinister, that much I know.

A voice rang out through the mountainside. A voice Sanosuke recognized at once.

Akiyama: What is taking so long girl, KILL HIM!

Akiyama's voice seemed to come from everywhere at once, yet he was nowhere in sight. The sound of Akiyama's voice fueled Sano's anger toward him. [He did this to her… I'll make him pay!] He had to get Sakura back. Sano counters her next attack and knocks her down. Big mistake. Sakura comes at him full force. Sano gets hit eight, nine, ten times. Sano loses count. All her attacks were direct hits. Defensive maneuvers had never been Sano's strong suit. He had to act fast. Without thinking, Sano grabbed Sakura's badly bruised wrist. Grabbed and squeezed. Sakura stopped. For an instant a glimmer of recognition flashed in her eyes. Then it was gone as quickly as it came. Sakura surprised Sano with a kick to the chin. He let go and staggered backward before Sakura landed another kick to his ribcage. [She must have been holding back before…] Sano knows his time is growing short. [If Sakura uses her secret attack on me then that's it…] When Sakura rushes toward him, Sano shocks her (and everyone) with an embrace that pins her arms to her side. Sakura struggles to get free. Sanosuke whispers into her ear, so that only she can hear.

Sanosuke: Sakura, I love you.

Then he kisses her, right there in front of everyone. Sakura struggles for only a moment longer. All her strength seemed to leave her and she falls to her knees. Sano kneels down beside her. When he looks into her eyes he knows that she's back.

Sakura: Sano… Do you really…?

Sano smiles and nods. Sakura hugs him and begins to cry. Sano hugs her back, he doesn't want to let go. His feelings of guilt from the previous day return with credence.

Sanosuke: I'm so sorry… for hurting you… for leaving you in that alley. If only I had stayed with you… none of this would of-

Sakura: (putting her hands on his face) Sano, none of this was your fault. I have you to thank for saving me… (quietly) and for loving me.

They embrace again and when they look around they notice that Kenshin is missing. Kaoru explains that Kenshin went after Akiyama. Sano stands up.

Sanosuke: Akiyama!

Kaoru and Sakura look at Sano with questioning eyes. Sano looks at Sakura and knows at that moment, that he can't leave her.

Sanosuke: Kaoru, Yahiko, please go after Kenshin. I need to stay here with Sakura.

Sanosuke sits back down. Sakura smiles. Kaoru and Yahiko enter the cave.

------------------------------------

The cave initially appears to be nothing out of the ordinary. Then Kaoru and Yahiko enter a huge room that is beyond description. It's breathtaking and terrible at the same time. Yahiko and Kaoru look at each other, then back at the room. There are strange gadgets that the two couldn't even begin to comprehend. They make their way across the room and find a staircase leading down.

------------------------------------

When Sano sat next to her, Sakura could see the exhaustion in his eyes, the bruises on his body, the pained way in which he walked. Now, it was her turn to apologize to him.

Sakura: Sano, I'm so sorry! I'm sorry I've caused you so much trouble. I'm sorry that I hurt you so badly.

Sanosuke: (still dealing with his own feelings of guilt) Don't. Sakura… don't apologize. (Gently holding her wrist with the ever-worsening bruise. Then, purposefully looking into Sakura's eyes.) Besides… you're worth it.

Color rose in Sakura's cheeks as she smiled shyly at Sanosuke.

------------------------------------

At the bottom of the staircase Yahiko and Kaoru find a long hallway with innumerable closed doors on either side. What terrible things lay behind those doors was anyone's guess. Kaoru did not care to find out. Noises were coming from the far end of the hallway. They decide to investigate.

------------------------------------

Sano and Sakura sat together silently for a while. Neither wanting to spoil the moment with words. Finally, Sano spoke, he had to know.

Sanosuke: Sakura… Do you know what happened to you…? I mean… do you remember?

Sakura had been waiting for this question. And yes, she did remember. At least most of it. That was the horrible part.

Sakura: Well, where do I start? I guess when Yahiko left to get help I must have passed out. The next thing I remembered was waking up in a room inside that cave. Of course I didn't know where I was at the time. Then I heard a voice speaking to me through some sort of box. That creeped me out. Akiyama told me to join his forces, I refused. Then… this is where things get a little hazy… I heard laughter on the other end of that box thing and then a piercing sound came through. I thought my head was going to explode! I couldn't get out of the room, I was trapped. I could barely move. Then… I saw these images… it was like the room was spinning… I thought I was going crazy!

Sano could see how difficult this was for her and he held her hand. Grateful for the gesture, Sakura took a deep breath and continued.

Sakura: And I could hear his voice… that awful voice… Telling me to join him. Telling me that it would all be okay if I just did what he said. I covered my ears and closed my eyes but the images and words would not leave me. Then… I'm not really sure what happened… or how much time went by, but the next thing I know… I had no control over my body. It's hard to explain… I was completely under this guys control… it was like I was a prisoner in my own body. I tried to speak but couldn't. I tried to move but nothing happened. I was screaming and screaming, but my lips didn't move at all.

A shudder ran through Sakura's entire body. Sano gently embraced her. The thought that Akiyama had mastered mind control was too horrible to fathom. But Sakura was living proof, wasn't she?

Sanosuke: Sakura… I can't begin to imagine how horrible that must have been for you.

Sakura begins to shiver all over and Sano holds her a little tighter. Sakura can't hold back the tears any longer.

Sakura: I don't know what I would have done if I had actually... if I had actually killed you…

Sakura began to cry even harder. Holding Sakura, listening to her story, feeling her pain. It was difficult for Sano to endure. [How could someone do this to another human being? I can't let him get away with this!] Sano was growing infuriated just thinking about it.

Sanosuke: He won't get away with this… He can't… Sakura, we can't let him hurt anyone else like this.

Sakura: (noticing that he is starting to get worked up) I know but-

Sanosuke: BUT WHAT?!

Sakura: (calmly) We are both on the brink of physical and emotional exhaustion. What good are we going to be able to do like this? He would have the upper hand for sure. What if… [What if Akiyama was able to gain control of me again?]

That last thought was too terrible to give voice to. Another shiver wracks Sakura 's body. Sano is silent. [She's right. Why is she always right?]

------------------------------------

Kaoru and Yahiko make their way down the long hallway. When they reach the end of the hallway they realize it is a dead end. No Kenshin.

Kaoru: (exasperated) Where is he?

They can still hear the strange noises, but can't tell where they are coming from. Yahiko decides to try the door on his right. The knob turned easily. Luckily, Kaoru was able to grab him by the back of his shirt and pull him back before he took that first step.

Yahiko: Hey what's the big idea?!

Kaoru: You idiot!!! Why don't you watch where you are going?!

Yahiko looked down and saw that the door had opened into a gigantic snake pit. Yahiko's face turned completely white.

Yahiko: Man, what kind of place is this?

Kaoru examines the door to her left. She presses her ear against it and seems satisfied.

Kaoru: It's gotta be this one.

Kaoru turns the knob slowly and peeks into the room. The good news is that this is the correct room. The bad news is what was going on behind that door. Kaoru couldn't believe her eyes. She was paralyzed by what she saw. Kenshin was on his knees with his head in his hands. The reverse blade sword lay in front of him on the ground. [What's wrong with him…?] Strange sounds came out of a box mounted to the wall and Akiyama was there shouting commands at Kenshin and whipping him when he didn't respond. [Kenshin looks so helpless…]

Yahiko: What are we waiting for?!

Kaoru realized that they had to act fast. It seemed that the noise box on the wall had a lot to do with Kenshin's current condition.

Kaoru: Ok, you break that box. I'll distract Akiyama.

They rush in. Kaoru swings at Akiyama with her wooden sword. The attack misses but Akiyama is distracted long enough for Yahiko to do his job. As soon as the noise ceased Akiyama seemed frightened, but not of the two who had just burst into the room. Akiyama was frightened of the man he was hoping to break. The man who had picked up his reverse blade sword. The man whose gaze had frozen him in the spot where he was standing.

Kaoru took one look at Kenshin and knew that the Battousai had returned. Kenshin went on the attack. Kaoru screamed. In fact, she didn't think she would ever stop.

------------------------------------

As Sakura and Sano sat outside they heard a piercing scream. With wide eyes they ran into the cave and made their way through the long hall. They stopped at the end of the hall where two doors lay open. One contained a pit of snakes; the other, a hysterical Kaoru, a pleading Yahiko, a bloody Akiyama, a broken black box, and The Battousai. Akiyama lay cowering in the corner, Sano ran in front of him to block Kenshin's blow.

Kenshin: MOVE!

Sanosuke: Enough Kenshin! This is not what you want!

Kenshin stood there, ready to strike. His breathing was heavy and fast. Those amber eyes full of hatred and pain glared at Sano from across the room. Sakura had moved in to take care of Kaoru.

Kenshin: I said MOVE!

Sanosuke: NO!

Kenshin struck at Sano and Sano countered. The girls embraced each other and Kaoru covered her eyes.

Sanosuke: No one wants this jerk dead more than I do! But taking life is not what we're about!

Kenshin lunged at Sano and hit his forearm. This time it was Sakura who cried out as Sano was knocked to his knees. Kaoru started shaking and couldn't stop. Sano painfully got to his feet.

Sanosuke: LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! Look at Kaoru! LOOK AT HER!!!

Sano lands a kick to Kenshin's head, which knocks him to the floor. Kaoru's whimpers ring in his head. He looks at her shaking, crying, terrified. Terrified of him. Terrified because of him. [Kaoru-dono… because of me you are in so much pain… you are the last person I wanted to hurt. I'm sorry.] Kenshin dropped his sword and closed his eyes. Kenshin brought both of his hands up to his face. He was in disbelief over what just happened. [How could I have let the Battousai come out so easily? How could I have attacked Sano with the intent to kill him? How could I…?]

As Kenshin lay on the floor everyone was quiet. No one was prepared for the events that transpired here today. How can anyone prepare for a day like this? Days like these leave scars that cannot be seen. They had all reached their breaking point.