Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 18

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Sano Diaries 18 - Some Things Don't Change

Sakura thankfully had a peaceful, dreamless sleep. When she woke up she was happy to see Kenshin asleep on his futon in the corner. [I guess he found something worth fighting for.] A smile touched Sakura's lips. Then she realized that she would have to face Sano today. Suddenly she didn't feel so good. Sakura sunk back into bed. [How can I face him… what am I supposed to say?]

--------------------------------------

Sano, Kaoru, and Yahiko went to a local restaurant near the inn. Kaoru looked wrecked. She had had an emotional couple of days; first she had to worry about her sister, then Kenshin. Everyone was more quiet than usual today. No one knew where to start. Sano was even picking at his food. Yahiko tried to lighten the mood by saying something stupid. Kaoru punched him in the head. At least some things don't change.

Kaoru broke the silence by asking about the previous day.

Kaoru: Sano… what happened? What happened yesterday? I haven't been able to put it all together.

Sano knew he had to do his best to explain what Sakura had told him. Even though he was still trying to put it all together himself. He told them everything he could remember. Kaoru was taken aback.

Kaoru: Is that what Akiyama was doing when we found them… Poor Kenshin…

Despite how frightened she was yesterday, there was nothing but compassion in Kaoru's voice. Yahiko was still confused about what exactly happened.

Yahiko: But, if Kenshin had been hypnotized, why did he start attacking Akiyama?

Sanosuke: Because he wasn't hypnotized… at least not completely. Akiyama didn't anticipate the consequences of trying to hypnotize someone like Kenshin. My guess is that the Battousai came out because Kenshin felt helpless. Since Akiyama wasn't able finish doing whatever he was doing; the Battousai took over…

Kaoru: How did you know how to stop him?

Sanosuke: I didn't. I mean I kind of took my chances.

Kaoru looked confused.

Sanosuke: I bet on Kenshin's feelings for you. I knew that if anything could bring him back it would be you.

Kaoru blushed and looked at her plate.

Yahiko: (growing bored with the conversation) Oh, brother!

Yahiko starts scarfing down his food.

Kaoru: What about Sakura?

Sanosuke: Huh?

Kaoru: How did you know that it would work… what you did…

Now it was Sanosuke's turn to blush. His cheeks were on fire.

Sanosuke: Um, well…

Yahiko: (with his mouth full of food) ee id it eeor

Kaoru: (looking at Yahiko) What?

Just then Sano's rice bowel flew from across the table and hit Yahiko in the cheek. Kaoru looked back and forth between them. Sano got up and left.

----------------------------------

Back at the inn Kenshin is out cold, however, Sakura is playing opossum. When Sano enters the room, he sees right through her.

Sanosuke: Ok, get up.

Sakura: (putting her forefinger up to her lips) Shh! You'll wake up Kenshin.

Sanosuke: Alright, lets talk outside.

Sakura: Sure, no problem.

Sakura promptly pulls the blanket over her head, in hopes of trying to hide. Sano is not going for it. He grabs her by the leg and drags her out of the room.

Sakura: Hey! What's the big idea?!

Sanosuke: Sakura, we need to talk.

Sano's voice was more somber than usual and Sakura knew that this was serious. She followed him outside where they found a bench to sit on. Sakura looked down at her feet.

Sanosuke: Sakura… Sakura look at me.

Sakura: (still looking down) I can't, I don't deserve to.

Sanosuke: (letting out a sigh) Sakura… I'm sorry.

Sakura: (raising her head to look at him) What? No… I'm the one who's sorry...

Sanosuke: It was my fault. After our first kiss… I should have stayed with you then… I knew you were in pain. I should have brought you here. My pride, MY STUPID PRIDE! It almost made me lose you.

His words brought tears to her eyes.

Sakura: Sano… I don't know what to say. If it weren't for you…

The rest of her thought was too awful to finish. Sano held her as her tears began to flow.

Sakura: (pushing away from him) How could you ever forgive me…? How could you possibly…? I can't even forgive myself. I mean, what would I have done if I had actually… Sano I tried to kill you! I-

Sanosuke: No you didn't.

Sakura: What?!

Sanosuke: You could have killed me easily if that was your true intention. Although I hate to admit it, you are a better fighter than I am. I've seen you in action. You are practically unstoppable when you are serious. And against your secret techniques… well, I'm no match. I know that there was some part of you that was trying hard to save me. Some part of you that was holding back. That part of you is what allowed you to be saved.

Sakura couldn't speak.

Sanosuke: Its that part of you that I fell in love with. Sakura, what ever happened yesterday is over. I… I want to be with you. No matter what obstacles we have to overcome.

Sakura lovingly looked into Sano's eyes. They sat there on the bench with a quiet understanding. The burden of almost killing her love did not weigh as heavily on Sakura's heart. [Is it true? Was I able to hold back?] There was a small part of her, however, that was still afraid. Afraid of being taken control of again. Sakura put this thought out of her mind and replayed the words Sano had just said. [No matter what obstacles we have to overcome… That's right. I want to be with him too. Some things are worth fighting for.]

Sakura: Sano… These words are hard for me to say… I don't, I don't know where to begin… but I um, I-

Sanosuke kissed her. He knew what she was going to say and he was glad. He didn't want to deny his feelings anymore. He didn't want to pretend that nothing happened. He couldn't fight it. He loved her and he would die for her. He wasn't going to let his pride interfere with his feelings. Nothing could stand in the way of their attraction. It was beyond their control.

Sakura's senses were heightened. She knew that this was no dream. Sano was real and he was worth fighting for. Any doubts she may have had lingering just below surface immediately disappeared.

------------------------------------

After Kaoru saved Yahiko from choking on his food she made him tell her what was going on with Sano. Yahiko told her about seeing Sano and Sakura kiss in the alley before all the drama started. Suddenly it all made sense to Kaoru.

Kaoru: No wonder he was so angry. No wonder he knew how to save her… how to save Kenshin… is that what he meant?

Yahiko was once again confused. [What the heck is Kaoru talking about?] He didn't bother asking. Kaoru seemed lost in her thoughts. The two made their way back to the inn. Kenshin was STILL asleep.

Yahiko: Is he ok?

Kaoru didn't think so… Kenshin was asleep on his stomach. Judging by the torture Kenshin had suffered, Kaoru guessed that it would be a long time indeed before he would be able to sleep on his back again. Yahiko crawled up to him and stuck his face in Kenshin's. Kenshin startled awake and practically gave Yahiko a heart attack.

Kenshin: Oro?

Kaoru was relieved to see Kenshin awake. He looked much better than he did yesterday.

Kaoru: Kenshin…

Yahiko became annoyed with how mushy everyone had suddenly become and decided to leave. When he walked outside he saw Sano and Sakura sitting on a bench, looking into each other's eyes.

Yahiko: (to himself) Give me a break.

--------------------------------------

Kaoru: Kenshin, I brought you some food.

Kenshin: Thank you Kaoru-dono.

Kenshin was in a lot of pain but it was nothing compared to what he had put Kaoru through emotionally. She looked as though she had been up all night worrying.

Kaoru: Kenshin…

She wasn't quite sure what she wanted to say. Her heart went out to him. [If only I could take your pain away…] Kaoru walked over to Kenshin and sat next to him. Then she smiled. Kenshin was grateful for that smile, grateful for her. She knew just what he needed. Looking at Kaoru, Kenshin knew that Sakura had been right, about everything. Kaoru needed him, but he needed her too.

Kenshin: Kaoru-dono, thank you for saving me.

Kaoru looked at Kenshin in quiet amazement. He continued.

Kenshin: You keep me grounded.

---------------------------------------

Outside Sakura and Sanosuke were still sitting on the bench. Yahiko ran past while being chased by a local townswoman carrying a frying pan.

Sanosuke: It's always something with that kid.

Sakura: At least some things don't change.

With that, Sanosuke and Sakura walked into the inn, hand in hand.

--The End--