Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Savin' Me ❯ Savin' Me ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Savin' Me,” by: Nickelback
A/N: ::bows:: Thank you so much ~sangohuntress~ for helping with this. Without your help and ideas, this one-shot would not have been finished…seriously.
 
 
*Prison gates won't open up for me
On these hands and knees I'm crawlin'
Oh, I reach for you*


Himura Kenshin stood in front of Tomoe's tombstone. It had been nine years since he killed her accidentally with his sword and opened a new era called Meiji.
 
 He was a different man now. He called himself rurouni, a traveler with no destination. But he wanted her. He missed her. Tomoe opened a new world to him when she was alive so long ago…peace.

*Well I'm terrified of these four walls
These iron bars can't hold my soul in
All I need is you*

Himura would get nightmares of the people he killed. Oh, he killed hundreds or thousands of people. He couldn't stand it anymore, even though he was helping people with his sakabato.

*Come please I'm callin'
And oh I scream for you
Hurry I'm fallin', I'm fallin'*

Tomoe would always be in his dreams, standing there, looking at him with her bland eyes. He would run to her, with an arm outstretched, never reaching her, yelling but no voice would come out.

*Show me what it's like
To be the last one standing
And teach me wrong from right
And I'll show you what I can be*

Two years later he met Kaoru, instructor of the Kamiya Kasshin-ryu. Then he met Yahiko, Sanosuke, and Megumi. They became his friends and they didn't even care that he was once the hitokiri, even though he still is, but dormant.

Kaoru…she became someone close to his heart since his first wife. He never wanted her to be close to a battle like when he went to Kyoto to fight Makoto. But she came, to be with him, to cheer him on when he was leaving to go to Makoto's lair. Anyways, the people at Aoi-ya helped protect her when Makoto's underlings ever came to their place.

*Say it for me
Say it to me
And I'll leave this life behind me
Say it if it's worth saving me*

After the fight with Enishi, he married her. He wasn't sure Kaoru would accept it, but she did.

“Remember what I said after you saved me, Kenshin? I don't care about the hitokiri. All I wanted was the rurouni, which is you,” she told him laying her head on his shoulder, “I accept both of your sides and your history as well.”

Kenshin smiled. Perhaps his future could turn out well.

*Heaven's gates won't open up for me
With these broken wings I'm fallin'
And all I see is you*

Then Kenji was born. Kenshin never felt to elevated. He and his loved one produced something that shared their love. When he held the bundle in his arms soon after he was born, something deep in his heart sprung to life. When he looked into his son's eyes, he knew he could make his sins repaid by helping his son raised right and tell him the difference between right and wrong.

Then he looked at Kaoru. Kaoru was laying on the futon, looking at him with a tired smile. He walked towards her and kissed her gently on the lips.

*These city walls ain't got no love for me
I'm on the ledge of the eighteenth story
And oh I scream for you*

Raising Kenji wasn't easy, but Himura enjoyed it. Seeing someone so small growing up was a journey he was happy to take with Kaoru.
 
One day, when Kenji was fifteen, he and his father had an argument.
 
“No, this one will not teach you Hiten Mitsurugi-ryu.”
 
“Why not? I can help people that are in need,” argued Kenji.
 
Kenshin took a long sigh. “That is true, but it is not something the future generation should learn since it is also dangerous. I'd rather you prefer your mother's way of the sword, Kamiya Kasshin-ryu.”
 
Kenji took a long, irritated gruff sound and stomped off.

*Come please I'm callin'
And all I need from you
Hurry I'm fallin', I'm fallin'*

A week after that, Kaoru ran to their bedroom and yelled, “Kenji ran away!”

“What?”

“Yes, he left to go to Kyoto. He said, in this letter, that he went to train at your master's place,” she said, handing him the letter.

After he was finished, he rubbed his hands on his face. “Kaoru…this one has failed as a father.”

*Hurry I'm fallin'*

Kaoru knelt beside him and hugged him. She whispered into his ear, “You have not failed.”

“Yes this one has. This one left you and our son alone for a long time and then this one leaves after a few days. This one never stayed long enough to raise him and get to know him and be with you,” he said.

Kaoru kissed him on the cheek. “Himura, you had a responsibility. I understood that and I don't think Kenji wanted to. I think it's best that we leave him at Seijuro until he is finished.”

“Whatever you say.”

*All I need is you
Come please I'm callin'
And oh, I scream for you
Hurry I'm fallin', I'm fallin'*

One month later, Kenshin traveled to Seijuro's place to see his son. Once he arrived, he saw his son doing practice swings. Kenji saw his father and stopped.

“What are you doing here?”

“This one is here to see this one's son,” Kenshin simply replied.


*Hurry I'm fallin'*
 

They started to walk along a path. They were in silence.
 
“I can't goof off for long, Seijuro-sensei will not be happy. You should know,” said Kenji.
 
Kenshin chuckled. “Yes, that is true. How is your training?”
 
Kenji smiled. “It's going wonderful. I'm learning a lot. I can combine mother's ways and your ways together to help people. Is that okay?”
 
Kenshin looked at his son and smiled. “This one guesses since this one doesn't think that this one can persuade you to come back home until your training is finished.”
 
Kenji shook his head. “Nope!”
 
Kenshin ruffled his son's hair and before he left he said, “Just remember to visit your mother, she's worried about you.”
 
“Yes father.”
 
Kenshin walked up to his son and stood there. He placed a hand on Kenji's shoulder and then hugged him briefly. He let go and left to back home to Tokyo where Kaoru was waiting for him.