Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Stranded ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Stranded
Prologue
The bright light filtering in through the window woke Yahiko. He stretched out his arms to his side in search of his first and only love: Tsubame. She had her mouth half open and a little glisten of drool played with the sunlight on her red lips. He gently pushed aside a few stray strands of hair from her face, stealing a quiet moment to watch her sleep before he had to get up. Sighing, he tried to quietly heavy himself out of bed but the moment he rustled the covers Tsubame awoke. The covers dropped off Tsubame as she sat up next to Yahiko. “Hi, Hun. Did you have a good night?” Yahiko answered her with a warm kiss. “Hmm… I'll go get the kids ready, ok. And you make sure everything is locked up. Breakfast will be ready soon, too.”
“Are you sure you don't want any help getting them ready?” He said, ending by giving her one more kiss.
A little giggle and an exasperated sigh stopped the kissing short of what Yahiko had wanted. “They aren't that terrible and besides I'd have a harder time if I had to come home to a house with a smashed up flower garden. You know how I love those flowers!”
“Yeah, I know,” Yahiko retorted playfully. “If I didn't know any better, I would have thought you love that garden more than me. I even have proof that you spend more time in it than with me!”
“Oh! Don't be so silly,” Tsubame chided, “I couldn't even begin to compare you to my lush, lovely, beautiful garden.” Tsubame fastened her rob belt and then tied her hair back. “Besides, its time we finished last minute details before we go. Come on and get up, you lazy lump!”
Yahiko feigned indignation but it was these little moments alone together that he truly cherished and adored. “Maybe I can help you with breakfast.” A raised eyebrow met the statement so that before she could speak Yahiko consented. He touched his knuckles to forehead in a mock salute. “Yes, Ma'am! I live so serve and serve to live. But seriously, Tsubame, are you sure you don't want my help?”
“Yes, yes. Just go before I make you clean the whole dojo before we leave!” Tsubame threatened coyly.
“I love you,” Yahiko yelled as he started running outside. He wanted her to know that every minute of every day she made him feel so good and warm inside that he didn't want to think of anything else. Taking her instruction, he left her in the room to check the outside gates and walls for any weakness in the walls and locks but knew just the same that they could not stop the right people if they wanted in. He remembered the huge, flame spitting man and the other who tried to poison Megumi. The wall was never the same again, it always smelt singed to him and the new part of the wall always looked menacing even if he never would admit it. Sighing, glimpses of his youth when that had happened came streaking before his eyes. He walked slowly near the perimeter of the Kamiya dojo in deep thought. He remembered the task at hand just as he came up the shrine that Kaoru had made for Kenshin, the one memorial of the greatest sword master and the only thing in the dojo he could never have the heart to remove.
The sakabatou that Kenji had returned after finally understanding the significance of his father's choices had been placed on top as the star piece. There were butts of incense candles that had burned all night and all day just for Kenshin. End then more added at the death of Kaoru. The deaths of the two most beloved people in his life had caused Yahiko to question the very existence of emotions, such as hatred and love, which had helped fuel wars and fighting. Those things were the very downfall of Kenshin. Yahiko paused, taking a moment to take in his surroundings and to simply let the tension drain away.
Yahiko knelt in front of the shrine, wanting to say something to him and to let him know more about his family. But Yaihko's mouth quickly dried, and he could not thing of any way to voice the millions of ideas and instances of joy he has had. “Kenshin…. Ever since you came into my life I watched your every faultless movement with the sword and never once thought that I could aspire to be the swordsman that you were.” Yahiko scrutinized the reverse-blade as if it held a response and then continued after a brief silence. “But recently I have come to understand the man who you tried to be… not the Hitokiri, a father. I regret not wanting to know more than your techniques, more than how to be strong… because you were such a kind man. I don't know how it is you managed to raise and love Kenji,” a laugh escaped his lips as he thought of countless times he had tried to suppress his own children's primal instinct for trouble. “Every day I try to extend that grace and compassion you had for him and Kaoru to my own family.
The old flowers that Tsubame had caringly arranged around the sakabatou gleamed even after drying and falling apart with a spark that Yahiko recognized. “You knew from the start that I had fallen deeply for Tsubame and didn't push me to make a move. I respect you deeply for that. And she respected my risky behavior just like Kaoru did for you!” And now, we have two wonderful, wonderful, children. Yoko, my darling girl and Hideyo, my little man… How they've grown!”
The laughter from inside, somewhere near the kitchen, drew Yahiko from his reverie to remind him of their big day. He desired to share everything with Kenshin but between his two kids' laughter and hearing Tsubame call him for breakfast he decided to keep things brief. “We are going to visit Misao and Aoshi today. We are going on the locomotive, and it will be Yoko and Hideyo's first ride on a train! Wish us luck, Tsubame and I will have our hands full getting them to the train station.”
Yahiko stood up, brushed off the knees of his hakama and then headed the breakfast bell. He jogged over to the kitchen where he saw his beautiful children and wife waiting for him to dig in. Hideyo had one little paw on the spoon for rice porridge. Yoko lamented, “Come one Dad! We've been waiting for ever! And we are starving.”