Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Surrounded By Shadows ❯ Ruby Reminiscing ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey, here's the reworked and edited version of Chapter 4, enjoy and always feel free to leave comments about what I should do or any mistakes I have (my punctuation sucks :P) Thnx!
Disclaimer:
Kenshin's hair is red,
 
Battousai's is too,
 
I own Rurouni Kenshin,
 
Can you tell I'm lying to you?
 

From Last Chapter: Amber Ambition
It was ridiculous. What would the vampire king need with her blood? Slamming her office door open, her fury grew and she pounded a fist into the undeserving wall, watching it cave in around her tiny fist. If only she could smash the bastard's face in like that. Glaring at the hole in the wall Kaoru stalked into her office.

Battousai...Battousai the Bastard
It seemed to work
 


Megumi watched Misao's chest rise and fall beneath the glass case. She wouldn't wake up. No matter what she had tried, the girl had yet to wake up under the careful doctor's administrations. She was stuck in a coma until someone managed to find the proper blood. Even with technology they had now some things could never be made, synthetic blood included. Megumi's pale fist smashed down on the metal table and she took a deep breath as she regained her calm composure. Walking out of the room, she voiced a command to the room,
 
“Lights off. Maintain current dosage. Alert if change in stats.” The room beeped in response and Megumi sighed, casting a final glance at the encased body of the comatose girl. Shaking her head sadly, she quietly shut the door and strode down the hallway, leaving the quietly humming machinery behind.

At the same time, in a dark alleyway right outside the clinic, a broad shadow crossed the dimly lit streets. Sliding an old fashioned crowbar under one of the windows, the silhouette forced the glass shutter open, ignoring the squeal of metal. Slipping in with a grace that belied its size, the shadow quickly strode down the hall in long open strides, purpose in every movement.

Reaching the door that lead to Misao's room, the shadow froze, crystal blue eyes narrowing when it recognized the aura inside. Raising a hand, the man punched the scanner watching as the door slid open in response to the now shattered keypad. Walking towards the glass case, the figure was reminded of an old fairytale that hadn't been told in centuries.
 
`Well...time to wake up the sleeping beauty.' With incredible force (and uncharacteristic sarcasm) he brought the crowbar down, spider web fine cracks appearing on the glassy cover. Bringing the metal rod down again, the shadow watched smugly as the case shattered the synthesized glass fragments falling onto the ground.
 
Immediately, the computer in the room buzzed and a small red light flashed in warning as it informed the main desk but was largely ignored by the shadow that was leaning over Misao's unmoving form.
 
Seeing the still figure lying there motionless caused the stranger to shake his head in anger, his fist tightening around the crowbar until it began to bend in his grip. Leaning over he pressed a swift kiss to Misao's lips, revelling in the long missed taste. Lifting his head, he reached down and picked up a small fragment of the glass that littered the floor. Taking the shard of glass he had just broken, he cut a light scratch over the vein in his wrist, watching as the red liquid welled up along the scratch. Opening her mouth with his other hand, he let the drops fall in, making sure she swallowed. After a few minutes of repeating the process, Misao groaned quietly, her face scrunching up at the coppery taste filling her mouth. Calmly, the shadow drew back and his tongue darted out to lap at the wound, his gaze remaining on the girl lying before him as the cut immediately sealed. Leaning over to give the startled girl another kiss, a quiet murmur filled the room, stark against the silence,

“You said you'd wait for me” Misao's eyes shot open and she looked around hurriedly.

“A-A-Aoshi?” The wind brushed a gentle kiss over her cheek, sending the strands of her unbound hair over her face. Her shoulders slumped and she gazed through the open window to stare silently at the moon, wistfulness in her eyes. “Why…why did you leave me? You said you loved me...”

Outside the window Aoshi heard the whispered question and let his bangs fall in front of his eyes, uncharacteristic despair colouring his unvoiced thoughts.
 
`Because I had to…'
 
The usually cold and emotionless man walked away silently, the wind making his white trench coat dance in the wind.
 
`Because I love you...'


Kaoru glared at the hole in the wall, the gaping crack seemed to mock her, reminding her of `that stupid retarded freak' Making sure her vocabulary was maintaining a PG rating was hard, very hard. In fact all she wanted to do was punch that bastard's face in. Taking in a deep breath, she released it with a whoosh of air, her shoulders slumping in exhaustion. She didn't need this, not now, not ever. Finally calming down, the blue-haired beauty pressed a neatly filed finger against a small blue square on the oak desk. A small line of light ran down the square, scanning her finger before a flickering screen appeared in the air in front of her. Using the holographic keyboard, she scrolled down the page and hit the mouse pad a few times before typing rapidly, her fingers flying across the sensory keys. Finally happy with the contents of her email she hit the send button before shutting the computer down with a flick of her wrist, another sigh escaping her lips.
 
Bending over to pick up her bag, she stiffened as arms slithered around her waist and a slow mocking drawl echoed though out the room.

“That poor wall...what were you thinking about? Me?”

“Don't flatter yourself moron” Straightening up she spun in his grasp and wrapped her arms around his waist.
 
“How have you been Sano?” Releasing her waist, Sanosuke took a step back.

“Fine Jou-chan, you seem uptight...what's wrong?” Laying a brotherly hand on her shoulder he gently pushed her towards the door.

“Nothing…nothing” At Kaoru's reply Sano grinned, toothpick hanging out of his mouth and looked back at the mangled wall.

“Nothing eh? Then how come the wall is more beat up than I am after I call you a raccoon?” Kaoru growled.

“Two things first, a) don't call me a raccoon because I am NOT a rodent and b) if you don't get your grubby hand OFF my purse I'll seriously hurt you” Sano grinned sheepishly and handed back the credits he had tried to snag.

“Fine Jou-chan, no need to get violent! Now tell me what happened”

“HE came” Sano looked puzzled.

“Who's he?” Kaoru growled and began tearing up a piece of nearby paper before she replied.

“HE is Battousai” Sano's eyes widened and he spun her around.

“Ya mean the guy who...” he trailed off a gestured at her neck.

“Yeah, he did it again too” At Kaoru's response Sano shook his head.

“How you managed to get bitten by the head honcho of our little world is beyond me, but where was he? At your house?” Kaoru shook her head negatively and gestured to the glass doors.

“He's out there, or WAS out there last time I checked” Sano nodded and slung an arm around the younger girl.

“It's ok Jou-chan, I'll walk you home” Kaoru cast him a side long glare

“And eat all my food right?” Sano whistled cheerfully ignoring the question. As Kaoru walked out in front of him he grinned and muttered under his breath.

“Not ALL of it...”


A pair of glowing eyes gazed down on the two figures as they left the building. How that stupid lowlife of a vampire had managed to get into her building was curious. He, her maker, her creator, and the bloody KING of the Underworld been denied access no matter how hard he pounded on the glass doors that should have shattered under his fists long ago, no matter what he did he couldn't get in. But the moment he left...that stupid idiot of a vampire strolled in as happy as could be.
 
Disgusted with his obvious obsession over one tiny obstacle in the way between him and Kaoru, he shook his head, amber eyes narrowing angrily. She was his. He made her what she was today, even if she didn't like it. She was his, he knew it…and she was going to know it too.

Jumping swiftly down the fire escape stairs, Battousai stirred up the memory of the feel of her blood sliding down his throat. It was different, more...sensual than any other vampire or mortal he had bitten. The power contained in each drop was immense. Nowhere near his own of course, but the closest he had ever tasted. The raw energy swirling in each blood cell put him a near trance until his own immeasurable Ki overwhelmed it and absorbed it into his aura

Eyes glowing predatorily, he jumped lightly off the last step onto the pavement. Dodging around the parked cars, his shadow disappeared into the darkness of the abandoned street, a slight flash of crimson shining darkness the only sign he had even been there. His eyes flashed in the brief glow cast by the only light on in the middle of the deserted road. She was his…and very soon…he was going to prove it.



Kaoru slammed the door to her and Misao's apartment loudly, ignoring the sleepy cries from some of their neighbours. Turning away from the door, she nearly tripped over a pair of shoes haphazardly tossed in the middle of the entrance. A depressed sigh forced its way from between her lips and she slowly trudged into the living room. She had gotten home fine, Sano strolling by her side.
 
Sanosuke was another vampire, she'd met him shortly after what vampires dubbed as her `creation'. She could remember her lovely little affair with startling detail...after she had been bitten she'd found herself in a dark alley...

Flashback

Kaoru sat up groggily, rubbing her pounding head. Looking around at her surroundings fear welled up in her stomach. She wasn't in her room; instead she was in a dark alley in the middle of the city somewhere. Tears forced their way out of closed eyelids and rolled down her cheeks. Raising her hand to the right side of her neck, her eyes shot open at the feel of smooth, unblemished skin, maybe, just maybe? Standing up on wobbly legs, Kaoru walked out to the dimly lit street.
 
Wandering lost down the abandoned road; she looked for any recognizable landmark. Ignoring the sudden itch that had sprung up on her neck she continued on. The itch persisted until Kaoru finally reached a dirty hand to scratch it. As the irritation still grew she frowned and gently felt her neck. Two marks, feeling remarkably like mosquito bites, were on the left side of her neck. Although she couldn't see the marks, there was still no mistaking what there were.
 
Sobbing she collapsed on the ground, tears pouring out of her eyes. She was stupid! Why hadn't she checked all of her neck? To feel one side...it'd been a stupid mistake, a mistake that had given her hope and then brutally tore it away like the vampire had done to her humanity. Still sobbing silently she managed to get her feet and stumbled down the street.

Turning a corner she found herself in another alley. Tears running down her face she unsteadily walked down the darkened path. Nearing the (hopeful) end she stepped up her pace. Running full tilt to the end, she rammed right into someone. Barrelling them over, she stumbled and tripped, her body skidding a few meters across the rough pavement before hitting up against a brick wall.

“Oi! What was that about!” Getting no response, the boy brushed himself off and walked over to the limp form. “Eh!?” Seeing the tears, he backed up quickly and landed with a soft thump on the pavement. “W-why are you crying!” Hauling himself to his feet, he strolled over and crouched by Kaoru. “Eh? Oi Jou-chan what's with the waterworks?” Finally sitting up, Kaoru hastily rubbed a muddied hand over her eyes.

“N-n-nothing! Leave me alone!” Flinging out her hand she tried vainly to push him back. Still sitting firmly, he stood up and hauled her along with him. She glared at him and scratched furiously at her neck. Ignoring her death glare, the brown haired boy yanked her hand away and nodded knowingly,

“So that's how it is...the itch will go away in a couple of days.” Chomping on a fishbone he had found somewhere he slung an arm over her shoulders. “Now, when were ya bit?” Sniffling Kaoru meekly replied,

“Just this night I think...” Looking up at him she frowned, “My name's Kaoru what's yours?” The boy gave a hearty laugh and gave her a small brotherly pat on the head. Laughing at her sounds of protest, he answered her,

“Name's Sagara, Sagara Sanosuke. Call me Sano” He stopped the torture on her head and she glared at him, her death glare returned in full intensity.

“Mou! That hurt!” Laughing even louder, he playfully punched her arm.

“Come on Jou-chan, lets find the guy who bit ya” She looked at him amazed,

“You can do that?” Sano nodded and tightened his grip around her shoulders.
 
“I'll tell ya everything...” gazing down at her, his grin grew wider. “You remind me of a raccoon with those mud smears around your eyes!” Kaoru huffed and tried to scrub at her eyes with her the sleeve of her shirt. Laughing as she spread the mud around even more, Sano grinned down at her and yanked out a small handkerchief from his pocket. “Here ya go, tanuki-chan!”

“Don't call me that!” Guffawing loudly he lead her down another alleyway,

End Flashback

Shaking her head, she tossed her keys into a small ceramic bowl sitting on the mantle of the old fireplace. Her entire apartment was filled with old things from as far back as 2001. Antiques littered every spare inch of table space and all of the shelves had priceless artefacts sitting on them. Quickly walking past (and partially on) an old electric lamp, she made her way to her bedroom door. Shuffling quietly in the dark room, she heaved a sigh of relief at the dimly lit bedroom.
 
She was home, it was her own personal haven away from all the terrors that plagued the normal vampire, and it was her sanctuary. And coincidentally, Sano was the only vampire allowed into her humble abode. After realizing that people would try and kill her now that she was undead, she had done some valuable research and found an old spell vampires used to bind their prisoners to a room or selected area. She modified it a little bit to only allow certain people, mortal or otherwise, into her home. There were at least 5 people too many, wanting to cut off her head for being Battousai's spawn but in her opinion they were all crazy for thinking that killing her would bring him out but still, even she didn't want her head hacked off.

Speaking of her head...she sure hadn't been using it earlier. Kaoru gave a sigh and threw her purse on the leather couch before sinking gratefully onto her own bed in the other room. Staring up at the black ceiling, Kaoru reviewed the day's events in her head, wincing as she moved on through the day.

1. She had bitten (and nearly KILLED) her best friend
2. The lovely reigning lord of all the vampires had decided to stop by for a visit
3. The said lovely lord had an abrupt decision to suddenly eat buffet, a Kaoru buffet
4. And she had punched her poor unsuspecting wall...

Death was great.

Kaoru heaved another sigh and pushed herself up from her pillowly shelter. Yawning, she stretched and lethargically began pulling her shirt over her head. Soon she was only clad in her underwear, and she began walking towards the bathroom, before remembering she had forgotten her favourite shampoo in Misao's bathroom. Growling impatiently, she trudged out of her room and darted across the living room, slipping slightly on the hardwood floor. Kaoru made it halfway across the spacious living room before freezing as the hairs on her neck rose, a sure sign someone was watching her.

“If somebody is watching me…come here and face me or else…” Kaoru let the threat trail off and crossed her arms over her chest, ignoring the fact she was only clad in her underwear. When nothing replied to her threat, she snorted in disbelief at some vampire's audacity to spy on her through her windows and continued on her trek to Misao's bathroom.

Quickly slamming the Misao's bedroom door shut behind her, she strode into the bathroom, deciding to use Misao's shower instead of travelling back across the living room. With a calming breath, Kaoru quickly yanked off the last of her clothes and stepped in the shower, intent on having a nice relaxing shower with no stupid vampire lords looming over her shoulder.

In fact, he WAS looming over her shoulder. She just didn't see him. Invisibility spells came in handy sometimes, Battousai thought with a barely concealed smirk, very handy he decided as his gaze raked the vampire in front of him. She was perfect, except for the bite mark on her neck but since it was his...it could be excused.

He had watched her all evening, the office barrier hadn't broken to his amazement, but the one she had around her house was laughable. To him at least, most vampires would have been killed instantly if they had so much as touched the door handle but he was much stronger then any normal vampire. As soon as he had broken the spell, he had stepped in and silently shut the door. She had thrown her bag on the couch and then stalked off, somewhat despondently towards what he assumed to be her room.

And then the fun started. After a few moments of just looking at her unwaveringly, she had gotten up to perform the task he fantasized about so many times before. She had slowly stripped, taunting him with every small piece of pale skin she had revealed -abet unknowingly- to his golden gaze.

The she had stalked off towards the other part of the apartment, muttering about weasels that stole shampoo. He had still been in the midst of reminiscing about the small strip show he had been privy to, and had stupidly walked into, as mortals sometimes referred to them as, Kaoru's personal bubble. Vampires had an immaculate sense of anyone in their aura, hidden or not and he had just triggered about very defence a vampire could have. She had stiffened and then muttered something about stupid vampires that had the impudence to stare at a barely clothed lady through her living room windows.

Thanking whatever powers out there for the fact that young vampires -did- occasionally spy on Kaoru (even though they WOULD die later) he continued following her into the bathroom. When she had gotten in the shower his control nearly slipped but he managed to stare calmly at her body.

A sudden smash of glass shattering jerked him out of his current fantasy and he stared at the door, golden eyes narrowing angrily. Kaoru had heard it as well and she quickly got out of the shower and hurriedly dried herself off before grabbing the only clothes available. After she was fully dressed in one of Misao's outfits consisting of a t-shirt and a pair of shorts (having sworn at the tight fit and the fact that Misao only came up to her shoulder), she strode quietly into the living room, feet padding noiselessly on the carpet, fangs elongating with every step.

Behind her, Battousai was in a similar state, although somewhat more appropriately attired. Darting ahead of Kaoru, he walked quickly into the living room and shed his invisibility ready for any sudden attacks. Sensing sudden movement, he spun just in time to grasp Kaoru's fist that had been heading towards his head and hold her tight against his taunt form. The captive girl struggled and managed to tilt her head far back enough to glare furiously at him.

“What the hell are you doing here! Get out of my-mmmph!!” The last part of her statement was forcefully cut off by Battousai's hand closing painfully over her mouth.

“Quiet koi, there is someone here” Kaoru stilled and cast her senses to `feel' throughout the house. Her eyes suddenly widened with fear as she was painfully ripped from the Battousai's grasp and thrown on the floor.

Gazing up, she saw the two blades clashed together, and the glinting red eyes staring directly at her. Meeting the intruders gaze squarely, Kaoru watched as the stranger's gaze dropped from her eyes to her neck.

“So Battousai, she is the one you claimed... be warned, spawn” he glared at Kaoru, “I will get you, torture you, and kill you”