Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Catalyst ❯ The Catalyst: Part IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Catalyst: Part IV
By Jade Lightning_Wolf
 
Disclaimer: Please don't make me say it again…Oh fine. Kenshin is not mine, even though I've been trying to find a good lawyer to fix that. Also, please note that the chapter is rated PG-13 (T), though I really don't think there's much innuendo in it. Ah well, take precautions before the storm hits, not after. Man, am I nervous about this chapter. I almost didn't post it.
 
They'd been married for two and a half months when Kenshin got the letter. The bite of autumn hovered in the air, bringing a chill at night that made Kenshin grateful that he was no longer sleeping alone. On the day the letter arrived, clouds the color of dull steel pressed down from the sky and autumn leaves swept past in a howling wind.
 
He'd been sweeping the front porch when a knock sounded on the door. With some confusion, he'd answered. A messenger stood on the other side proffering a letter and standing in a manner that clearly suggested he felt he deserved a tip. Kenshin withheld a sigh and fished a few spare coins from his gi sleeve. The messenger grinned, bowed, and took off running, most likely to the nearest gambling house.
 
Turning his attention to the letter, Kenshin nearly dropped the piece of paper. The broad strong strokes were ones he knew very well.
 
“Something wrong, Kenshin?”
 
He forced himself not to jump at the sound of Kaoru's voice. Slowly he turned, carefully hiding his emotions as he went. He saw her disappointment when he did, but he would make it up to her later. For now, his old rurouni mask was needed.
 
“Not at all, Kaoru-d…” He stuttered noticeably on the end of her name. He had taken back to the old character of a wanderer so quickly that he'd nearly added an honorific. Her face immediately grew sour.
 
“Fine! Don't tell me.” She turned on her heel and swept into the dojo. Kenshin winced. He'd just messed up. He had more than messed up. It would take more than a kiss and apology to come back from that slip. But first, he just had to know what his shishou had to say.
 
oOoOoOoOo
 
Kenshin slipped into his old room and settled against the wall, staring at the letter in his hand. He could not fathom why his shishou would choose now to correspond, when the man had said just about everything there was to say back in Kyoto.
 
Almost fearfully, Kenshin slid the envelope open.
 
Baka-deshi,
 
So you finally got married again, did you? And you didn't invite your old shishou? I'm hurt, Kenshin. Really, I am. If it weren't for my old friend, I would have never even known you'd stopped pussy-footing around with that girl and just gotten down to it!
 
In fact, you should be thanking me. If it weren't for this old friend of mine, you would've never gotten the guts to pop the question. He certainly did wreak havoc in your humble abode. I thought I'd taught you better than that, but it seems that even a simple cat can outwit you. Perhaps next time, you won't be outsmarted by your old shishou.
 
Better luck next time baka,
 
Hiko Seijiro
 
Kenshin did not think he'd ever truly felt the sensation of his jaw dropping until he finished the letter. Did it really mean what he thought it meant? Had his master really been the driving force behind a cat that was entirely too mischievous for its own good? There was only one way to find out.
 
oOoOoOoOo
 
“Kaoru?” Kenshin's quiet voice was even more hushed than usual. She refused to acknowledge him, instead choosing to further butcher the cabbage she'd been chopping for supper.
 
“Kaoru, please don't be angry with me. I…didn't…”
 
She rounded on him so quickly that her movement created a breeze in the already drafty house.
 
“You didn't mean to? You didn't deliberately hide something from me? You didn't almost call me `Kaoru-dono'?” She whirled again, taking her rage out on an unfortunate carrot.
 
He moved behind her before she could push him away and wrapped his arms around her waist. She froze at his touch. Oh so slowly, he leaned forward and pressed his forehead to the nape of her neck.
 
“No, Kaoru. I did do those things. I'm sorry I did them, but I wasn't sure what to tell you.”
 
He paused to see if she would say anything. She stood stiffly in his embrace. Kenshin inhaled deeply and continued. “How would you like to winter in Kyoto?”
 
She remained frozen in his arms. He knew the moment his words gained purchase in her brain as she squeaked, “WHAT?”
 
“My shishou has written me and what he says is…troubling. I wish to ask him about it.”
 
Kaoru took a few shuddering breaths in his arms before turning to face him. “Troubling how?”
 
He sensed her apprehension immediately. “It has nothing to do with fighting. It is actually about…Youkai.”
 
She frowned. “That stupid cat Yahiko had for a while?”
 
Kenshin nodded. “My master has some information about him that I would…like to hear first hand.”
 
Kaoru thought for a moment before looking up at him. “The whole winter?”
 
“Only if you're willing. However, I fear that is how long it will take to pry the information from Hiko.”
 
Kaoru shook her head, muttering something about stubborn men. “We can leave in two days time,” she said after a moment.
 
He smiled before kissing her softly. She blushed faintly before looking away, the smile slowly leaving her face.
 
“My cycle came again,” she whispered. Kenshin fought to keep the disappointment from his face as she told him the information. He'd already known it was coming. He could feel the change in her ki. He was fairly sure he'd know when she became pregnant also.
 
“It's alright, Kaoru,” he said, gathering her closer in his arms. “We have the rest of our lives, remember?”
 
She smiled a little, but her demeanor remained saddened. He thought hard, trying to think of a way to lift her spirits. “Come. We haven't visited Yahiko in quite some time. I believe he recently started courting Tsubame. Watching the cranes dance for a while will be perfect for a day like today, don't you think?”
 
She did laugh then, if only because the picture of Yahiko as a crane was entirely too amusing to do anything but laugh at. “Alright,” she said after a moment, “let's go.”
 
oOoOoOoOo
 
Two days later, they took a train to Kyoto, a city Kenshin had been dearly hoping he'd never have to visit again. Misao was there to greet them, though they hadn't sent notice ahead that they were coming. The teenager bubbled and danced around the couple as they made their way to the Aoiya. Never did she stop speaking, and it seemed as though she never took a breath either.
 
Kenshin felt a flash of ki ahead and looked up. Aoshi stood in front of the inn, waiting for them. It looked as though the former okashira had perhaps lightened his icy demeanor, if only a little. There was life in his eyes that hadn't been present at the wedding.
 
“I trust you'll explain why you're here in due time,” he said demurely as they came within hearing range. “But I'm sure you're tired. Misao, please take them to the room we cleaned up.”
 
“Just when did you know we were coming?” asked Kaoru as they passed him.
 
“Sometime yesterday,” Misao said nonchalantly before inquiring if Sano had written again. She didn't wait for an answer and plowed onto another subject with ease. Out of the corner of his eye, Kenshin could have sworn he saw the barest hint of a smile on Aoshi's face.
 
In their room, safely cut off from the tsunami that was Misao, Kenshin turned to Kaoru. She was looking around the room, studying décor that pointed towards a set of monetary funds that made her own meager savings look like pocket change. He touched her shoulder to get her attention.
 
“Do you mind if I go to start wheedling information from my shishou, or would you prefer I wait until tomorrow?”
 
She smiled slightly, knowing he was still making up for his slip up two days ago. “I don't mind. It's best we start wearing down his stubbornness now. He can be just as bad as you sometimes!”
 
“Oro!” Kenshin yelped.
 
“Don't deny it. You hide it well, but you're as stubborn as a rock in the sea.”
 
He blushed slightly, knowing she spoke the truth. Quickly, he changed the subject. “Is there anything you need while I'm out?” His eyes ventured unbidden to her patched, faded kimono. She caught his glance and gave him a hard shove in the shoulder.
 
“If there's anyone who needs new clothes, it's you!” she said, pointing at his threadbare and heavily repaired gi.
 
The blush deepened on his cheeks, and he turned to leave, saving himself from further ridicule by his wife.
 
“Kenshin,” she said to his back. He paused, waiting. When she saw he wouldn't turn, she circled him. His eyes followed her warily.
 
A grin spread on Kaoru's face as she realized he was afraid she was angry with him. She looped her arms around his neck and pulled him so close she could feel his breath ghosting across her cheeks.
 
“I'm not angry with you anymore, baka. Stop walking on eggshells around me, or I really will get angry.” To further her point, she closed the distance between them and kissed him. He readily took up her invitation, easily dominating the kiss she'd begun.
 
When they broke away, panting slightly, he said softly, “I'll keep that in mind.”
 
For a moment, they stood still, but then Kenshin released her and turned to leave. Kaoru withheld the sigh until after he'd slid the shoji shut. Two years of friendship and two and a half months of marriage and that man still did not know her limits. He would have to do a great deal more than hide a letter from her to make her truly angry. With another sigh, Kaoru slipped out of the room to find Misao. A good dose of gossip was just what the doctor ordered.
 
oOoOoOoOo
 
Kenshin found his way to his shishou's house easily. He'd traversed the path far more times than he would have liked. Though he moved silently, his master was already out on the front step with a sake carafe and two small saucers. Kenshin stopped for a moment, staring at the arrangement before shaking his head and smiling slightly. Some things never changed.
 
“I was expecting you about a month ago,” Hiko said as Kenshin sat next to him on the step. The smaller man took the offered sake without question.
 
“I only got your letter three days ago,” he said after a sip.
 
“Really? It seems I'll have to use a different messenger service.”
 
They sat in silence for long moments. Kenshin was the first to speak again.
 
“I have questions.”
 
“Don't we all?”
 
Kenshin looked at his master oddly. The man's usual arrogance seemed lacking. Hiko continued after a pause to pour more sake for himself. “I'll answer what I can. After all, I did screw with your life a little.”
 
Kenshin snorted. That might be the biggest understatement to ever be heard in the Meiji era.
 
“Perhaps it would be better if you just told me the whole story and I ask questions afterward.”
 
Hiko raised a quizzical eyebrow as he glanced sideways at his former pupil. “You've gotten less impulsive.”
 
Kenshin bit down on his retort. He was beyond falling for his master's baits now, well placed though they may be. Hiko resumed speaking when he realized Kenshin was not going to say anything.
 
“I must say, you guessed well in naming him Youkai. It's very fitting. He's a shape shifter, a kitsune to be exact. I came across him injured and caught in a snare. When I freed him, he showed himself for what he really was. We've been friends for several years now.
 
“When I told him of your plight, he said he would be more than willing to help. `Reminded him of old times' he said. I told him to approach you in a seemingly harmless shape, and then left him to his own twisted scheming to get you two together. I'm sure he studied you for a while. That whole reflecting-inner-desires kind of thing he pulled was genius. I can't believe he was so stupid around you, though. I warned him how dangerous you could be when you weren't thinking straight.”
 
Kenshin was hard-pressed to express his disbelief, especially when Hiko had explained the whole ordeal in such a matter-of-fact manner. After several attempts at speech, the redhead's vocal chords finally began working again. “Why did you bother in the first place?”
 
Hiko took a long draft of sake before answering. “It was completely obvious to me that you would never go after that girl without a good push. You were so set on believing you weren't worthy that you forgot the cardinal rule when it comes to women: you're never worthy. Even if you were a saint, Kenshin, you still wouldn't be worthy of that girl. It's the way the world works.
 
“But for some reason or another, she's in love with you, and I wasn't about to let you go and break that girl's heart. Or yours for that matter.”
 
Kenshin was saved from having to answer as a bush across from the house rustled and a new ki registered in his senses. He frowned. The ki felt alien, something he'd never encountered before, yet it was familiar.
 
“Ah, the kitsune has arrived. He wanted to apologize.”
 
Kenshin resisted the urge to grip the hilt of his sakabatou as a slight, red-haired youth stepped out from behind the foliage. The young man was tall and thin, still having the appearance of one who hasn't quite grown into his limbs. He wore a forest green hakama and a yellow gi that was covered with a surprisingly garish pattern. The long red hair was several shades darker than Kenshin's and about twice as unruly. Ears that seemed slightly longer than normal poked from the sides of his head and mischievous green eyes sparkled in the late evening sunlight.
 
Kenshin frowned at the boy. He looked normal enough, but something seemed off about him. Perhaps it was the sharp angles of his cheekbones, the odd size of his ears, or the strange slant of his eyes, but the boy seemed otherworldly. The air seemed different around him, as though his own aura was reaching out and bending it. Hiko had said he was a shape shifter.
 
“Hello, Kenshin,” he said in a light tenor voice that reflected what seemed to be perpetual amusement.
 
Kenshin only remembered his manners when Hiko elbowed him in the stomach. The short man stood and bowed warily as he said, “Hello.”
 
“I am sorry I had to rough you up so much,” he said as he exhibited razor sharp claws at the ends of his fingers, “but you're so damn stubborn. I couldn't think of anything else to do to get you where I needed you to be. I hope you'll forgive me.”
 
Kenshin, unsure of what to say, remained silent. The kitsune continued after a moment.
 
“But it all worked out in the end, ne? You ended up with Kaoru, and I got to amuse myself by aiding in matchmaking again. I haven't been able to do that since Sengoku Jidai.”
 
Kenshin's eyes widened, but that was the only expression of his surprise. After a moment, he said, “All is forgiven. After all, as you said, it did work out for the best.”
 
The kitsune smiled. “Then I'll be going.” He moved to leave, but turned back at the last moment. His arm moved and glass flashed in the air. Kenshin caught the bottle without even realizing what it was. The kitsune was grinning mischievously now. “You might want that, too. It will only work if there's already affection between the individuals in question. You could have a blast using it on that Sanosuke of yours. Just remember to only use one or two drops at a time. Too much can really drive a guy crazy. Trust first-hand experience.”
 
The kitsune disappeared back into the brush, this time moving more noiselessly. Kenshin stared after him for a moment before looking at the bottle in hand. A blush crept up his neck as he saw the character stamped in the glass was “lust.” Something about the bottle tickled at his memory, but he couldn't put his finger on it.
 
Hiko cleared his throat loudly, reminding Kenshin that he was not alone. Slowly, the redhead turned towards his former master.
 
“That was all you came for right?”
 
Slowly, Kenshin nodded.
 
“Good. Get lost.” Without another word, Hiko turned imperiously and stalked into his house. Kenshin stood staring dumbly at the door. It took him several long moments before he could form a coherent thought. The first thought happened to be, There's another ki in Hiko's house. A female ki. That thought quickly took Kenshin places he didn't want to go. Demons and potions and Hiko with a lover? What was the world coming to? No wonder his shishou had been to straight and to-the-point.
 
Carefully, as thought one wrong move would make his grasp on reality slip entirely, Kenshin turned and started back down the path. He pinched his arms several times as he walked, praying desperately that he was asleep. Every time, sharp pain informed him that he was already in the waking world. Unfortunately, that meant he had really just experienced everything back at Hiko's cabin. Kenshin shook his head harshly. I'm going to need more sake, he thought as he trudged towards the distant outline of Kyoto.
 
oOoOoOoOo
 
Several hours later, Kenshin returned to the Aoiya. He'd given himself time to sober up and had also purchased new clothing for both himself and Kaoru. Aoshi was waiting for him at the entrance. Kenshin paused and looked the former okashira up and down, evaluating just how much he should divulge of his visit with Hiko.
 
After a moment, Aoshi said, “Did you find what you were looking for?”
 
“You could say that.”
 
Piercing blue eyes searched Kenshin's face. Aoshi's natural curiosity had been poked from slumber and was begging for answers. It was obvious that the rurouni planned on giving none. After a long pause, Aoshi said, “Go find some mint leaves in the kitchen. Kaoru will kill you if you walk in with sake on your breath.”
 
Kenshin managed to hold off a blush and nodded. He felt Aoshi's eyes on him, even after he'd turned into the kitchen. When he'd found the mint, he chewed it for several long moments as he tried to gather scattered thoughts. He might be able to hide things from Aoshi, but he certainly wouldn't…couldn't hide them from Kaoru. How did one go about explaining that there had been a matchmaking demon lurking about? Taking a deep breath, Kenshin went to his room.
 
He was saved from explaining, however, because Kaoru was not there. He found a note pinned to the small writing table explaining that Kaoru and Misao had gone off on there own, most likely to wreak havoc.
 
Kenshin let out a breath he hadn't known he'd been holding. Carefully setting the clothes aside, he tried to center himself, tried to find some semblance of normalcy. It might not be possible without Kaoru to help comfort him. In defeat, he slumped against the wall and leaned back, staring up at the ceiling. It was going to be a long day.
 
oOoOoOoOo
 
Kaoru returned with Misao just before sunset. Aoshi informed her that Kenshin had returned a few hours ago and retired to their room. She thanked him and went to find her husband.
 
She opened the shoji of their room quietly. Kenshin was leaning against one wall. Kaoru moved closer with silent steps as she closed the door behind her. As she'd suspected, he was asleep. Smiling, she turned to look around the room. A bundle of cloth was on the writing table. Upon closer inspection, she found that there were new sets of clothing for both herself and Kenshin.
 
Carefully, she held the kimono he had chosen for her up to the light. It was a deep burgundy, lined for winter. In delicate patterns, cranes danced around the hem. A few lotus blossoms crawled up one side of the cloth. Her fingers traced the beautiful patterns lovingly. The heavy silk obi was of a deep gold that would match the burgundy very well.
 
“Do you like it?”
 
Kenshin's voice startled her and she jumped slightly. Turning, Kaoru saw that he had opened his eyes and was watching her from under his bangs.
 
“It's beautiful Kenshin.”
 
He smiled slightly. She folded the cloth and set it aside. “How did coaxing Hiko go?” she asked after a moment. Kenshin frowned and she went to him.
 
“I suppose it depends on your point of view,” he said hesitantly.
 
She touched his shoulder, worried at the tone in his voice.
 
“He told me everything he knew about Youkai. It was…disturbing.”
 
She knelt beside him and leaned into his shoulder. He put his arm around her without thinking.
 
“Disturbing how?”
 
“You wouldn't believe me.”
 
Kaoru's face grew stubborn. “Try me,” she said, jabbing him slightly with one arm.
 
Kenshin took a deep breath and told her everything. He never stopped speaking, afraid that if he did, he would have to bang his head to the wall just to make sure he was really awake.
 
When he was finished, Kaoru sat staring at him just as slack-jawed as he'd been when Hiko told him the unlikely story. Kenshin could not look her in the face, fearful that he would be slapped. The last thing he expected was for Kaoru to laugh.
 
She started with a bubbling giggle that turned into a chuckle which slowly became full-blown laughter. Kenshin stared at her, stunned and uncomprehending. By the time she'd gotten herself under control, there were tears streaming down her cheeks.
 
“I fail to see what is so funny,” Kenshin said, sounding rather put off.
 
She chuckled again, but reined in her mirth. “In a conversation once, Megumi told me that it would take superhuman forces to get you to court me. If find it amusing that she was right.”
 
Kenshin still didn't find it amusing. Kaoru smiled at his disgruntled look and put her arms around him.
 
“What's got you so sour?”
 
“He could have hurt you. He could have been something with evil intent, and I would have never realized until it was too late.”
 
Kaoru frowned slightly. It would be nice if just once, Kenshin wouldn't allow himself a guilt trip. She loosened her hold slightly so she could look up into his face.
 
“Kenshin, he didn't hurt me. And now you know what kind of ki a demon has, so you'll be able to sense it. Don't dwell on things you can't change.”
 
Kenshin looked at his wife with disapproval. “But…”
 
Kaoru released a sigh of exasperation and cut off his argument with a kiss. He stayed unmoving for a moment before responding. Just as he might have deepened the kiss, she pulled away. Hugging him again, she placed her lips near his ear.
 
“Kenshin,” she whispered huskily, reveling in the way he shuddered almost imperceptibly beneath her, “just this once, just for me…”
 
Kenshin was hanging on her words, more than willing to do whatever she asked.
 
“…shut up and live with it. And kiss me.”
 
So just that once, Kenshin shut up and kissed her.
 
oOoOoOoOo
 
Two days later, they left Kyoto on a train. In Tokyo, they found it had already snowed. The white covered landscape was quiet, peaceful, and beautiful. However, they found their house was not. Kenshin sensed a familiar ki before they'd even unlocked the gate. He gritted his teeth and turned to Kaoru.
 
“Guess who's back?”
 
She frowned, slightly mystified by the question. She never got a chance to answer though. The gate was thrown open and a voice shouted, “'Bout time you guys got back! I'm starving!”
 
Kaoru stared wide-eyed for a moment at Sanosuke Sagara, still dressed in the same white outfit as always, but with a russet brown cloak draped roguishly over his shoulders. Then she regained her composure.
 
“What the hell are you doing in my house?”
 
Sano had the intelligence to look slightly penitent as she began to rant at him. For several long minutes, they stood in the cold as Kaoru vented about everything from stupidly running off to freeloading to idiot men who thought they always had the right of it. When her face had turned a fine shade of maroon and she had stopped her tirade to gasp for breath, Kenshin gently touched her back trying to urge her out of the cold. He still hadn't told her that her ki had changed yet. She was stressed enough without worrying about a baby.
 
Kaoru rounded on him so quickly that he fell backward into the snow. “And you! You just sit there quietly and let him take advantage of our hospitality! MEN!” Kaoru stomped indoor without waiting for Kenshin to rise or attempt to apologize.
 
The short, redhead watched her for a moment before turning to Sano.
 
“Mongolia, eh?” he said almost casually.
 
“Yeah. It was too hot though.”
 
Kenshin nodded sagely and glanced back towards the house. Then he took a step closer to Sano. Suddenly, he seemed much more menacing.
 
“You had better be glad that I am a patient man and that you are a good friend, or I'd punch you so hard you'd wake up back in Mongolia. Don't mess with my wife.”
 
Sano stepped warily back from the golden eyes and held up his hands placatingly.
 
“I won't do anything to aggravate her. Promise.”
 
Kenshin pinned him under the glare for a moment longer before turning and walking into the house. Sano watched after him a moment before following. He could not see the evil smile that played on the redheads lips, nor the way he was carefully fingering a small glass bottle.
 
oOoOoOoOo
 
Japanese glossary:
 
shisou: master
 
baka-deshi: idiot pupil (baka by itself is just idiot)
 
youkai: demon
 
Sengoku Jidai: Warring States Era, 1500s
 
kitsune: fox, or fox demon (they also Megumi kitsune)
 
ne: used kind of like we use right at the end of a sentence to make it a question. Example: They'll be fine, ne? They'll be fine, right?
 
A/N: Well, that's the end. And I don't want to hear one complaint out of any of you. I never intended for this to be a long story. In fact, I had originally planned for it to be a one-shot, but it just kind of grew…and grew. You all, however, may yell at me for this being late. I always hate it when authors say they were too busy to post, so of course that's what I'm telling you all. In all seriousness though, I had a play to act in for the past week and marching competitions on the weekend and I've been sick. Between school and all the rest, I hope you can excuse the lateness. Once again, thanks for all the support from my wonderful seven reviewers, and I hopefully will have that one-shot I promised up by next week. On a last note, I know this doesn't follow up with Sakura Blossoms, but I wanted to get Sano in there. Complain if you don't like it. And on a final last note (I promise this time) I'll give a special shout out in the one-shot to the first person who guesses what character I borrowed to act as Youkai. I think I made it pretty easy to guess, but who knows?
 
Reviewer Responses:
 
are-en1: I know Part III really sounded like I'd ended it. In fact, for a long time I didn't plan on putting up this chapter. But then, I wanted to tell you all what/who Youkai was, just as you said. I hope you like the ending to this one as much as the last one. Thanks so much for reviewing.
 
Jool(): Mou! I was afraid of this. You all thought the last chapter was the ending. Maybe I'll just strip this one down if no one likes it and let the story end at Part III. But I really wanted to explain who Youkai was. Many thanks for your review.
 
Myks: Thank you so much. Glad you like how I write, since my style is always what I'm most worried about. Why should one worry about something silly like a plot line? No, I'm kidding. Sort of.
 
gabyhyatt: Thanks for your review.
 
Stella-neko: Yes, as you can see, this was the last chapter. However, I'll see what I can do about posting a lemon elsewhere. And no grammar mistakes? jumps up and down in sheer joy My life is complete! As always, thanks for reviewing.
 
lolo popoki: In retrospect, I realized Part III was really WAFF-ly, but since people seemed to have liked it, I'm glad I made it that way. I'm also glad you like the Hiko conspiracy. I don't think I honestly did him justice in this chapter, but I hope he's at least partially up to your standards. As for Youkai, hopefully all has been explained. Many thanks for your kind words.
 
Triste1: Thank you so much for the longest review I have received to date. I love it when other people care about grammar. It makes me so happy. It also makes me a dork. Oh well. I don't think this chapter is up to my grammatical standards, but it was edited whilst under the influence of pneumonia and insomnia, so I'll probably go back and edit again when I'm healthy. I guess Youkai is a bit of a stray, isn't he? That hadn't honestly occurred to me, but I suppose that's just the way I picture Hiko at heart. As it says in “Oni” (which I also read avidly), he's just a big softy. And to the rest of your review I say: Woo hoo! At least I've made an impact on one person with what I considered to be one of the most important parts of the chapter. As for a lemon, we'll have to see. I recently got struck with Halloween plot bunnies, and they're threatening to make my head explode if I don't let them out.