Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Heart of a Manslayer ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
Battousai slide open the door to Koaru's room with a loud crash to see Shimaro with his hands around Koaru's throat. Battousai put his hand over the swords hilt and said, "You will release her now, that you will." Shimaro just looked up at him and said, “Why would the Great Man-slayer want with a worthless bitch like her?" Battousai's eyes narrowed " Shimaro, the only thing that is keeping me from shoving my blade through you is my promise to Koaru and it is wearing thin," Battousai said coldly. Shimaro removed his hand from Koaru's throat and walked around Kenshin and out the door. Koaru coughed and put a hand to her throat. Battousai went over to her and pulled her into his arms.
That's when the tears came and Battousai just held her as she cried. Sano and Yahiko walked into the room and saw Koaru crying and looked at Battousai. “Shimaro," He answered the unasked question. Sano and Yahiko walked out of the room to give them some privacy. Battousai picked her up and sat on the wall opposite of the door with Koaru wrapped tightly in his arms. Her tears had slowed down to just sniffles and buried her face into Kenshin's Hoari. (IS THAT WHAT IT'S CALLED? LET ME KNOW.) Battousai stroked Koaru's hair gently as she lay against his chest. After sometime she pulled back and wiped away her tears with the back of her hand. "I'm sorry," she murmured. Her voice husky from her tears. "Never say that. It's your father who should be sorry, "Battousai answered.
Koaru leaned her head back against his shoulder. Battousai pulled him tighter into his embrace and said “Why is he doing this to you?" Koaru just buried her head into his shoulder and mumbled something into his shoulder. Battousai pulled back and asked, "What was that?" Koaru looked at him and said, “I refuse to pick a suitor." Battousai's eyes widen and he yells “WHAT!" Sano and Yahiko can be heard running down the hall and come crashing through the door. “What happened?" Sano said looking around the room." Nothing. Now get out." Battousai said. Sano and Yahiko looked at each other and slowly left the room. When he was sure that they were gone he looked back at Koaru and said “Now what is it with these suitors?" Koaru looked at him with sad blue eyes and said, “Some suitors come around every week and want me to marry them. My father wants me to pick one of them, but I refuse to marry some one I don't love with my whole heart." Battousai looked down at her and said, “I'll take care of these suitors and your father." "As long as you don't kill or maim anyone I don't mind "Koaru said.
Kenshin put his best crestfallen look and Koaru tries to stifle her laughter and fails. She let out small yawn after she gets control of herself Battousai told her to go to sleep. "Only if you promise me something," Koaru said. “What's that?" Battousai asked. "Promise me you won't kill or maim anyone," Koaru said. Battousai sighed, "I promise on one condition." "What's that?" "That you call me Kenshin," Battousai said. "All right Kenshin it is," Koaru said sleepily and closed her eyes. After making sure that she was asleep Kenshin walked out the door and quietly slide the door shut and walked down the hallway towards the dinning room. He found Sano and Yahiko sitting at the table waiting for him. "I admit you have a lot of self-control. I thought you were going to kill Shimaro after Koaru told you." Sano said after Battousai sat down. "I still might? Why didn't you tell me about the suitors before?" Battousai said coldly. Sano and Yahiko looked at each other and Sano said, “It wasn't for us to say." Battousai just sighed and asked, "All right when are these suitors suppose to arrive?" "Tomorrow," Sano and Yahiko answered at the same time. Battousai sighed "Well, I'd rather have this done sooner then later so I guess that is a good thing." Sano and Yahiko nodded there heads, they didn't care to know Battousai would do if they had to wait for the suitors to show up.
“So tell me a little about these suitors." Sano thought about it for a second, but it was Yahiko who answered." There is Hakuru a martial artist who comes from a very well respected family. Then there is Shiko who is a swordsman wanna be who comes from a merchant family and several others that escape my mind. "With each word Battousai's grip on his sword tightening. He relaxed his grip and took a deep breath and said "Well, We had better scare them away or I'll never get a moment's piece." Sano and Yahiko looked at each other (NOTICE THEY DO THAT ALOT) and Yahiko said “Didn't Koaru make you promise not to kill or maim anyone?" Battousai smirked and said “She said not to kill or maim, she didn't say anything about beating within an inch of their lives." “I hope you know what you're doing," Sano said. Battousai smirked and said, “I always do."