Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Man who Loves Kamiya Kaoru ❯ Kaoru in Trouble ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Kenshin?” Kaoru mumbled. No answer. Her head was spinning and she was afraid to open her eyes. Her entire body hurt and she was having trouble remembering why.
“Kaoru? Are you awake?” a familiar voice whispered next to her. Is that Kenshin, Kaoru wondered. No, wait, that's a female voice. She cracked open an eye. Misao was staring down at her, looking concerned.
“Misao?” Kaoru asked. She tried to sit up but found it more difficult than usual. She looked down, her hands were chained together. “Misao, what's happening, where are we?”
Misao looked at her like she was crazy.
“We were kidnapped by that creep Ryunosuke and his men,” Misao replied.
“Kidnapped!” Kaoru cried. Misao's eyes widened and made a shushing noise.
`Be quiet! If they find out you're awake all my plans for escape will be ruined!” Misao said. Kaoru looked and saw Misao's hands were bound behind her back instead of in front like Kaoru's.
“I put up a fight,” Misao said, seeing where Kaoru's eyes fell.
“Misao what happened? I remember Sano and Yahiko fighting, and then Kenshin. He got wounded and then I…I tried fighting…and-”
“You did a damn good job until that creep cheated,” Misao said angrily. With those words Kaoru suddenly remembered.
“I had Ryunosuke down, after he threatened to cut off my wrap. I-” Kaoru broke off when she noticed her clothes, not the torn dogi, but a beautiful new kimono. “Misao! Who changed my clothes? Don't tell me Ryunos-”
“No, no, one of his female servants did, don't worry,” Misao interrupted. `And anyway, once you had that bastard down his creepy sidekick came up behind you and pressed something under your nose and you blacked out. Shichiro picked you up and started to leave. Himura tried to stop him but he was still too weak and Shichiro just ended up walking right past him. I'm here because that jerk decided to keep me as a companion for you and a prize for his men,” Misao spat bitterly. Kaoru lifted her chained wrists and touched the other girl on the shoulder.
 
“I'm so sorry Misao. This is all my fault. If I had listened to Kenshin and not gone to meet with him we probably wouldn't be here,”
 
“Don't be sorry, Kaoru. This isn't your fault at all. This creep would've come after you anyway. But don't worry, I'm almost out of these chains and then I'll go back to Kuwana and bring Himura back here to save you.” Misao said calmly moving her arms some. Kaoru gasped.
 
“Kenshin! How is Kenshin?! His wounds?”
 
“Relax, Kaoru, I'm sure Himura's fine. He's had worst wounds before. By the time I get back to Kuwana I'm sure they'll be healed and he'll be more than ready to come fight Shichiro again-” Misao started.
 
“No!” Kaoru interrupted suddenly. “I can't let Kenshin rescue me again. I have to be strong and take care of myself.”
 
“What are you talking about? Of course Himura's gonna come rescue you. You can't really want to be Shichiro's wife, do you?” Misao asked.
 
“No, of course not. It's just…Kenshin told me…right before he fought…that basically it's a lot of trouble to always be rescuing me. I don't want to cause him any trouble…I'll escape on my own…you see if I don't,” Kaoru said resolutely. Misao shook her head.
 
“Himura couldn't have meant that but if you want to try escaping for yourself you have 2 days to try it. Then Himura will be here to finish the job,” Misao said as she stood up finally bringing the disassembled chain out from behind her as she did.
 
“Now I suggest you go back to sleep so they don't suspect you know that I escaped. I just hope I can remember my way out of this fortress,” Misao turned and walked over to the only door in the windowless room.
 
“Misao,” Kaoru called softly. Misao turned back towards her.
 
“Please be careful,” Kaoru begged. “I don't want them to hurt you.”
 
Misao grinned. “Don't worry, I'm one of the Oniwabanshu, remember?”
 
Kaoru smiled. “I remember.” Misao nodded and slipped through the unlocked door. Kaoru lay back down and sighed. What would Kenshin when Misao told him the news? Kaoru knew he'd want to rescue her because that's the kind of man Kenshin was. But she didn't want him to always think she was a damsel in distress as romantic as it was. She promised him she'd protect him this time and stopping him from going up against Ryunosuke again would definitely be saving him pain.
What should my first move be? How can I escape? Kaoru thought. Suddenly she sat up. She didn't have to escape right away, but she could help Misao out. If she caused a scene loud enough to allow Misao to slip through the mansion freely that would be enough for now. Once Misao was safe she could plot her own escape before Kenshin showed up.
Striding over to the door she proceeded through it and started screaming and wailing drawing many guards to come running.
 
Perfect, she thought.
 
******
 
“Kenshin, you're not going anywhere,” Sanosuke shouted, pushing the almost recovered ex-Hitokiri back down on the futon. Yahiko stood guard in front of the door on Sano's orders.
Kenshin narrowed his eyes at his friend. “This one must go and rescue Kaoru-dono and Misao,” he said firmly. Sano smacked himself across the head.
 
“Of course you do, we all want to, but we have to wait for you to completely finish healing. Your being half-dead doesn't help the little miss, so you're gonna have to wait another day or two. If Shichiro really loves the little miss she won't be in too much trouble, besides-” Sano started holding Kenshin down.
 
“Kaoru can hold her own, you saw it yourself, Kenshin!” Yahiko finished. Kenshin looked away from them as Sanosuke started saying something else. He thought about Kaoru's fight. She had done amazingly. Much better than he ever would've guessed judging from her practicing; but he was also ashamed that he couldn't protect her himself, that she had to do it for him. He vowed to correct that as soon as possible. But step 1:
 
“-and we still have to find out where Shichiro's lair is,” Sanosuke was saying.
 
“What is I say I know where it is,” said a voice from behind Yahiko.
 
“Misao!” They yelled. Kenshin sat up again, but this time Sanosuke didn't push him back down, he too was staring at Misao. The poor girl looked a little ragged like she'd been running all night.
 
“I've been running since I escaped yesterday, can somebody please order some food?” Misao begged. Yahiko immediately ran out of the room. Sanosuke picked the shaking girl up and set her down on a nearby futon.
 
“What happened? Where's Kaoru-dono?” Kenshin asked, trying to remain calm.
 
“I left her so I could escape and come back here to bring you to her, Himura. She said she wanted to try escaping on her own, though, so she wouldn't cause you anymore trouble,” Misao breathed. Kenshin looked confused.
 
“What do you mean?” he asked as Yahiko came tumbling into the room with dinner. Misao had her mouth stuffed full of food before she answered.
 
“Kaoru said you told her it was a lot of trouble for you to keep saving her so she thinks she's too much of a burden to you, Himura.”
 
“No, I-” Kenshin started.
 
“That's partly why she worked so hard to fight Shichiro's men in my opinion,” Misao continued. Kenshin looked out the window, lost in thought. He felt awful. He had just been angry when he said that to Kaoru, he didn't really mean them. Rescuing wasn't a pain to him at all. He just hated getting her into those situations in the first place. He looked back to the group. They were all looking back at him, expectantly.
“Oro?” he said. Yahiko kicked him in the head.
 
“What d'ya mean `oro?' Are we gonna save Kaoru or what?” the small boy yelled.
 
“Yes, Yahiko. This one's wounds should be healed by tomorrow, let's leave after breakfast,” Kenshin said. Sanosuke grinned and turned to Misao.
 
“You sure ya remember the way, squirt?” Sanosuke asked her. Misao saluted.
 
“Of course I do. And tomorrow would be an excellent time to leave, I don't know how much trouble Kaoru's in now after that stunt she pulled,” Misao sighed. Kenshin's head whipped towards her, eyes narrowed. Sanosuke and Yahiko saw this and surrounded the girl.
 
“What are you talking about Misao?” Yahiko asked.
 
“And why didn't you say it sooner, or not say it at all, look at Kenshin! He's all worked up now, he assumed the little miss was reasonably safe in that man's hands,” Sanosuke muttered.
 
Misao held up two hands. “Sorry, sorry, it slipped my mind. When I was sneaking through the mansion I kept having trouble getting past the guards. Suddenly I heard a loud noise from the room Kaoru and I were being kept in and all the guards rushed over there. I was able to sneak through the rest of the way unseen but I heard servants pass talking about the diversion Kaoru had been trying to cause to let me escape. Apparently Shichiro figured it out and was amused, but a little angry that he'd have to find another prize for his men. I heard that Kaoru's punishment was to be chained to the wall in her room,” Misao finished finally. Kenshin looked even angrier. Sanosuke hurriedly spoke up.
“Ok, we can't be any help to the little miss right now. Let's get a good night's sleep, so we can leave first thing tomorrow,” Sanosuke waited until everyone was settled on their futons before finally climbing on his. But despite his insistence that they get a good night's sleep, it was awhile before any of them fell asleep.
 
 
The next morning Kenshin, completely healed, was straightening up the room while the other three were downstairs securing a carriage for faster travel when he came across Kaoru's things.
Her kimono and favorite blue ribbon were folded neatly in a pile where she'd left them that morning. Making sure no one was around him; Kenshin leaned down and picked up her ribbon. He held it for a moment and then furtively tucked it inside his robe.
 
“For good luck I assume?” Sanosuke sniggered from the door. Yahiko and Misao stifled giggles as Kenshin turned beet red.
 
“This one is merely going to return Kaoru-dono's favorite ribbon to her,” Kenshin squeaked. The others laughed and laughed. They were still laughing minutes later after boarding the carriage that would take them to Shichiro's city.
Finally Kenshin asked if they would like to help him come up with a plan just to shut them up. They four of them spent the rest of the day long trip conversing.
When they arrived in the city Misao led them to a huge mansion.
“Is this it? Sanosuke, we could've found this place on our own,” Yahiko said. Misao shot him a look.
 
“This is Shichiro's main home. His secret fortress is over here.” She led them through the woods towards a mountain. A small hut sat at the base of the mountain.
 
“That's the entrance. I know it doesn't look like much but inside it is beautiful and expensive looking,” Misao said. “Kaoru should be in her room three stories up.” Misao pointed to where she thought the room might be.
 
But she was wrong. About Kaoru being in the room at that moment.
 
******
 
Kaoru was mad at herself. She obviously hadn't put on a convincing enough show because Ryunosuke had known what she was up to immediately. Luckily, Misao had escaped, but now Kaoru, chained with her arms above her head to the wall, had no opportunities to escape.
She really worried what would happen if Ryunosuke and Kenshin were to fight again. Ryunosuke was almost unscathed from their previous fight, but Kenshin had received some brutal blows.
Kaoru strained against her chains some more. Ryunosuke had kept her like this for a few days since Misao's escape. He came a few times a days to check on her and inform her of the progress he was making preparing for their wedding no matter how many times Kaoru informed him she would never marry him. Ryunosuke would merely laugh and pat her cheek.
Kaoru looked up at shackles around her wrists. If only she had a pick, but with her arms up in the air like that her kimono's sleeves fell down and she couldn't reach the pins Misao had slipped in her sleeves before she left.
Kaoru huffed and pulled hard on the chains again, just as the door opened.
 
“It useless Kamiya-san,” murmured Ryunosuke's sidekick, Tokome. Kaoru scowled at him.
“If you're not here to release me, please leave,” Kaoru told him, turning away from him as far as she could. Tokome smiled and withdrew a key from his sleeve.
 
“I'm here to take you to the main room on Ryunosuke-sama's orders, the preparations are almost complete,” he said and unlocked Kaoru's shackles. Kaoru rubbed her wrists and looked up at Tokome.
 
“Why are you doing this? Why do you help him hurt people and take women at his leisure?” she asked. Tokome grabbed her arm and steered her towards the door.
 
“Because I want to, Ryunosuke is very powerful, thus making me powerful too,” he explained matter-of-factly. Kaoru tried to reason with him as they walked through the fortress but he wouldn't have it. Finally they reached a set of double doors which Tokome pushed her through.
Ryunosuke awaited her on a raised platform against the far wall of the rather large room. Behind him sat three chairs; one large, grand-looking one and two smaller chairs, one on either side.
“This, my love, will be yours after tomorrow,” Ryunosuke informed her, patting the smaller chair to the left of the great throne. Tokome pushed Kaoru towards the center of the room and then left her to take his place besides Ryunosuke. Kaoru glance behind her and noticed that no guards stood duty by the doors. They were all on Ryunosuke's side of the room. Running away would be difficult as she was in an elaborate kimono, but Kaoru began inching her way backwards anyway. Ryunosuke sighed.
 
“Chain her feet,” he ordered. Two guards ran over and attached shackles to Kaoru's ankles. Damn, she thought. So much for that.
 
“I'll never marry you,” she told him resolutely. He laughed and jumped down the few steps off his throne platform. He strode over to her. Kaoru stumbled back a few steps, her ankles still bound by the chains. “You cheated! If I'd really lost I would've come with you like I promised. But I didn't lose, you cheated!” Kaoru cried as Ryunosuke came with in reach of her.
 
“I never promised I'd use only swords to defeat you, Kaoru-sama,” he smirked. He raised a hand and snapped his fingers. “Out, guard the doors,” he ordered his men, Tokome included. Once they'd gone, with furtive grins on their faces, at what their boss would be doing alone with her, Ryunosuke picked Kaoru up (she gave a little shriek which he ignored) and deposited her in the small chair next to his throne. She looked up at him and then out over the grand hall.
 
“My love, this is what you'll have when you marry me. And you will marry me tomorrow. I've never met a woman I've wanted more than you Kaoru-sama,” Ryunosuke breathed into her ear. She shivered. He was very handsome, but so…evil. And besides she loved Kenshin.
 
“I won't marry you, I don't love you. I love-” Kaoru started. Ryunosuke's eyes turned cold.
 
“Battosai?” he growled. Kaoru nodded, blushing. She looked away wishing that Kenshin loved her back. Ryunosuke saw the look on her face and jump to his feet; He slipped an arm around Kaoru and hauled her up to him, pressing her chest against his.
 
“You,” he said angrily. “Are mine, I won't let Battosai have you for himself. I can give more than he ever could.” Kaoru looked up into Ryunosuke's eyes, less than two inches away and gulped.
 
“It's not what he can give me, I love him for him, I don't need stuff to make me love him,” she told the fired up Ryunosuke bravely. At her words he growled again and held her tight with one arm and used the other arm to loosen her kimono. Kaoru grabbed at it with her free arms.
 
“No…stop this Ryunosuke…you can't do this!” Kaoru screamed. Ryunosuke looked into her eyes.
 
“Why can't I?” he asked huskily as her kimono slipped off her shoulders revealing the tops of her breasts. Kaoru gasped. Ryunosuke liked her reaction and pressed his mouth to her neck and kissed his way down.
 
“NO! STOP!” Kaoru screamed.
 
******
 
Kenshin, Sanosuke, Yahiko, and Misao were just inside the fortress' doors when they heard the screams.
 
“KAORU-DONO!” Kenshin roared, unfortunately calling attention to them. Guards came running at them. Sanosuke, Yahiko, and Misao prepared to fight but Kenshin took the guards out in a fit of passion and ran towards the sound of screams.
Guards surrounded the double doors where Kenshin knew Kaoru must be. He knocked them out too. Sanosuke, Yahiko, and Misao followed him ad he burst in through the doors. Kenshin skidded to a halt; a horrible sight met his eyes.
Kaoru was in the arms of Ryunosuke, but it was clear that she didn't want to be. Her kimono had been tugged off her shoulders and Ryunosuke was kissing the bared pieces of flesh beneath her neck. Kaoru was pushing him with all her might and screaming as loudly as she could. Behind him the others had skidded to a halt too with looks of shock on their faces. Sanosuke covered Yahiko's eyes with a hand, and for once the little boy didn't fight.
 
“K-Kaoru-dono!” Kenshin shouted. Her screaming stopped as she turned her head towards the door. Ryunosuke looked up too, clearly angry at this interruption.
 
“Ken-Kenshin? KENSHIN!” Kaoru cried joyfully. Ryunosuke noticed the joy in her face and pushed her away with disgust as he turned to tell off Kenshin.
Unfortunately he pushed harder than he meant to. With her feet bound, Kaoru tripped and tipped over; clutching her kimono to make sure it didn't slip anymore as she fell headfirst off the platform towards the hard, unforgiving ground.