Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Parting of the Ways ❯ The Visitor ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Parting of the Ways by: Sakura
A/N *yawn* I'm so sleepy... I don't think I can write right now.
Disclaimer- I do not own Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X or any of their characters. Though, owning Saitoh and Kenshin and Sano... *drools*
EDIT 12/17/08: Wow...I was such a weird kid. Haha.- - -
Chapter Two: The VisitorA young brunette walked over to the table timidly. After taking the orders of the people sitting around the table, the girl started for the kitchen.
"Hey, Tsubame," Kaoru called after the girl. "Could you tell Sanosuke to hurry up with our drinks?" The girl nodded and ran down the hall.
Kenshin and Tomoe had decided to head out to the Akabeko with their new friends. On the way over, they had picked up the dark-skinned student who Kenshin had first seen at the Kamiya dojo. Kenshin later learned that his name was Yahiko, and he accompanied them to the restaurant, not once taking his beady eyes off the former manslayer.
Once they had reached the Akabeko, Yahiko had completely forgotten about Kenshin, and eagerly rushed off to help the young waitress called Tsubame. Soon, a tall, fair-skinned man with spikey brown hair came to the table sitting beside Tomoe, and began sliding drinks around the table. This left Tomoe feeling a bit uncomfortable and she scooted away from the newcomer and closer to her husband.
"Isn't this great food, Kenshin?" Kaoru asked from across the table. She was munching on her own dish, which had various foods atop it.
Kenshin nodded knowingly. He turned to his wife who continued to look uncomfortable around the tall man sitting next to her.
"Would you like to switch?" Kenshin asked her, inaudible to the others sitting around them. Greatly obliged, Tomoe moved herself over to sit next to the green-kimonoed child, Ayame.
"So, just who is this guy? You're new boyfriend, Kaoru?" the tall man said in between bites.
"This Himura Kenshin and his wife, Tomoe. They sell medicine all the way in Otsu," Megumi answered for Kaoru was still chewing. "They've run out of supplies, so they're going to buy some more from Dr. Genzai."
Kenshin nodded, agreeing to Megumi's story.
"Ah, well, nice to meet you then," the tall man said, holding out his hand for a shake. Kenshin reached out his hand in the same manner. When the tall man reached out to shake hands with Tomoe, she looked at his hand for a moment before taking it briefly in hers. She smiled at him.- - -"Do you have any books?"
Kaoru looked puzzled. "Excuse me? Books?"
"They're comfortable to sleep against," Kenshin said, smiling tiredly.
Kaoru had invited Kenshin and Tomoe to spend the night at the Kamiya Dojo. Since neither, Kenshin nor his wife had even considered a place to sleep, they welcomed Kaoru's offer gratefully.
That tall man (whose name was later revealed to be Sagara Sanosuke) also stayed the night at the dojo. Much to Tomoe's like, Sanosuke was in a room down the hall. No one was quite sure about her awkwardness towards him, but nobody bothered to ask her.
Kenshin finished stacking a pile of book that Kaoru had brought and pushed them up against the wall opposite the sliding shoji door. He sighed contentedly as he leaned against them for they felt great against his back. Before he closed his eyes, he looked over at Tomoe who had been asleep long before Kenshin finished with his book staking. He was glad Kaoru had offered them a room, because as exhausted as the both of them where, they probably would have settled for a dry corner in an alleyway after leaving the Akebeko.
The last thought he had before succumbing to his exhaustion was that he would need to thank Kaoru some more for all the hospitality she showed them.
As he lie dreaming, Kenshin was suddenly awoken by a noise outside. He jumped up, grabbed his sword, and ran out into the garden. There didn't seem to be anyone out there... just the well which was surrounded by moonlight.
Kenshin stepped off the engawa and walked up to the well, peering at his reflection in the water. He traced the vertical scar on his left cheek with his finger, remembering that he had gotten it from when had slain Tomoe's fiancé all those years ago (1).
Then, for a split second, Kenshin's reflection could not be seen in the well water. He looked up, and saw a dark figure jumping through the air. The whole figure's body was silhouetted by the light of the moon. It lunged towards Kenshin, and drew what appeared to be a short sword from a sheath hidden beneath his sleeve.
Kenshin gasped as the intruder's sword made contact with his flesh. He staggered back, searching for breath. Never before had he been taken by such surprise. He would have to ignore the pain in his chest if he was to protect the others that were sleeping soundlessly in the dojo. - - -A/N Taani: I did good, didn't I? Helping you with that chapter, I mean.
Sakura: Shut up, you stupid muse! I did it all! Me! Not you! Me, I tell ya!
(1) - Since this is an AU fic, and Tomoe never died, Kenshin hasn't got the cross-shaped scar. Only half of it.
EDIT 12/17/08: I had a make-believe muse! That's hilarious! And maybe just a tad bit disturbing.... Does that count as having an imaginary friend? :)