Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ TIMELESS ❯ Catfight: Racoon vs. Fox ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TIMELESS

Warning: Major OOCness

Alright folks! Brace yourselves because this chapter is really insane. What do you expect, coming from an insane author. Megumi fans, I suggest you skip this chapter. Yup, Megumi's the geisha. I don't think you will like the exchange of words between her and Kaoru. If you do read this, don't say I didn't warn you. Kaoru may be cruel to Kenshin in this chap (*whispers* that's because she's in denial) ::lol:: Hope you like this minna! It's an absolute drag, updating this fic.

***CHAPTER6***

"Who's Tomoe?"

Kenshin gazed into Kaoru's eyes and tried to quiet the pain that those words evoked.

"It's none of your damn business," he said gruffly.

Kaoru was puzzled over Kenshin's odd reaction to her question. She had no idea what was wrong. "Did I say something offending?"

Kenshin felt the familiar pain twist inside him. "Leave it alone, Kaoru," he growled.

"No! I won't be pushed away! I asked you a simple question; all I need is a simple answer. Is that too much to ask?"

Kenshin gripped the door and stared at her. "No," he said at last. "I won't answer your question."

Silence strung tautly between them. At last Kaoru spoke in a barely audible voice. "Alright, goodnight then."

Kaoru yawned in the pearly morning light and stretched languorously as she recalled the events of the night. She opened her eyes and saw that Kenshin was nowhere to be seen. With a puzzled frown, Kaoru sat up, ignoring the cool air blowing through the window.

She remembered asking him about Tomoe-and his reaction had been brusque. Surely, she thought, this is not ordinary behavior.

Still frowning, Kaoru brushed the snarls from her hair before gathering it into a simple ponytail. She set her jaw with grim determination. She wants answers and by god she will get them, even if she have to strangle Kenshin.

Kaoru found him down by the river sitting on a fallen log and gazing into the water. Kenshin's mind was wrestling with problems of such proportion that he didn't even notice Kaoru watching him. His jaw clenched as memory of Tomoe muddled his mind.

A twig snapped. The hair on the nape of his neck lifted and the slight breeze stilled for a heartbeat.

"I haven't invited you to spoil my day. Creeping up on me this way is trespassing."

"I don't creep," Kaoru's flat statement cut into the clean spring air.

"You are trespassing, and you crept up on me," he tossed back at her. Kenshin stared at her coolly and waited for Kaoru to step back. But she didn't move away.

"Well now, Kenshin Himura, I think that's the first time anyone has ever used those words to me. As for the creeping part, anyone could have heard me. Except someone who was deep in thought-like you. As for the trespassing………I have business here."

Kenshin refused to give Kaoru the pleasure of knowing his unease, his sense that he should run and never look back. Kenshin squared his shoulders. He'd never run from anything in his life. "What do you want?"

Kaoru's eyes flickered, her gaze drifting over his face, touching his mouth, his cheeks and settling on his eyes. She didn't trust what lurked behind that dark amber/violet stare, any more than she trusted the unsteady beating of her heart.

"I'm here to talk to you."

"Make it fast," he shot back, color rising in his cheeks, the stance of his body taut, challenging.

Fast. Kaoru lingered momentarily over the thought that a man like Kenshin was not to be experienced quickly. She moved restlessly, her smoky blue eyes locked fearlessly with his.

"What are you afraid of?"

"Nothing. Why should I be afraid?" he demanded.

"Oh, I don't know," she said impatiently. "Perhaps it's because you've been avoiding me and doesn't want me to know who Tomoe is," Kaoru continued, as she tried to keep the testiness out of her voice, but his manner always made her feel like a cat who had been rubbed the wrong way.

She saw him flinch and narrowed her eyes against the blaze of the sun; in reality she knew little about him.

"She was my wife," he said suddenly. "Does that satisfy your curiosity?"

Kaoru felt a jolt of surprise and something else. `Holy molly,' she thought. `Somebody actually married the son of a bitch.' She suddenly sucked in a breath of air. Was? Kaoru thought puzzled. She gave him a sideways look, taking in the lines of strain and fatigue that were etched around his eyes and mouth. He might have been stingy with his words, but Kaoru caught the echo of bitterness in his voice. She saw the muscle tense in his jaw, watched the way his shoulder stiffened.

She was about to ask him whether his wife was dead or have left him but suddenly decided against it. She didn't enjoy seeing the sudden flash of hurt in his eyes, and she wasn't proud of herself for being the cause.

Her sense of humor suddenly kicked in, as she felt the need to break the tense moment. "So, did your wife had a sense of humor?"

"Why?" Kenshin asked with a puzzled frown.

"She married you, didn't she?"

"So?"

"Well, it takes a good sense of humor to play beauty to your beast." She felt the corners of her mouth quiver as she tried to swallow the small bubble of hysteria that was rising inside her.

Kenshin's brow slammed together and those deep-set eyes regarded her without a speck of amusement.

Kaoru could almost feel him vibrating with disapproval. She had expected him to sling another barb at her; she hadn't expected him to retreat behind those wide violet eyes and that stubborn chin of his. The need to apologize rose up inside her, but the words all jammed at the back of her throat and she couldn't seem to force them past her tongue. Apologizing wasn't something she did well or often.

Kenshin suddenly got up and suggested they make a trip into town to buy some supplies. Kaoru readily agreed, thinking that it would be nice to walk and see shops.

Ten minutes later, as they walked to town, Kenshin was still in a pensive mood. Kaoru following behind him suddenly lost her footing and with a squawk of dismay, she fell backward. She yelped as she hit the ground, and then yelped again out of pure rage. As she stared straight up into the sun, she realized she had sprawled into an ungainly position.

A pair of sandals appeared in her peripheral vision. As her eyes slid up along hakama-clad thighs and over a broad chest to a pair of violet eyes glinting with amusement, she mustered her dignity. Bringing her ankles together, she propped herself up on her elbows. "I meant to do that. I need to get a tan and it's a great day for sunbathing."

His chuckle had an old, rusty sound, as if it hadn't been used in a long time. With as much dignity as possible, she pushed herself the rest of the way into a sitting position. "I bet you can't do that. It takes years of practice."

He gave a bark of laughter. "Are you hurt?" he asked between guffaws.

"I'll let you know as soon as the pain stops."

Kenshin extended his hand. She took it and found his hand warm and firm. When she had gained her feet, Kenshin asked her again, grinning. "Honestly, what are you doing lying down there?"

"Meditating on the value of friendship," she muttered. She glared indignantly at Kenshin who was bent double by a paroxysm of laughter. "I'm glad I'm entertaining you," Kaoru said stiffly.

"Are you sure you're not hurt?" In spite of having difficulty controlling his mirth, Kenshin looked anxiously at her.

"Only my pride," she admitted with a grimace.

Kenshin laughed again, genuine humor easing the lines of stress from his face.

As they walked into town, Kaoru watched in fascination as every sort of cart and wagon congested the lane, while people thronged the spaces between the stalls that had been set up for business.

"Meet me there in half an hour," Kaoru said to Kenshin pointing at a small inn she didn't noticed was a whorehouse.

Kenshin was about to protest, but Kaoru was immediately swallowed by the crowd. He then went to the inn and ordered some sake.

For the next half an hour, Kaoru strolled toward booths selling bright ribbons, food and clothing. After she was done shopping, she immediately went to the building where she was supposed to meet Kenshin. Upon arriving, she was surprised and furious to see a whore draped scandalously over him.

`Why that miserable womanizing Casanova!' Kaoru thought fuming. `I was only gone for 30 minutes and there he is flirting with a whore. I thought he's somewhat different, but I guess I was wrong. Men, they're all the same. I've always been a tomboy at heart. Now, I'm gonna be myself, and the heck with romance.'

Determined to teach him some lessons, she approached the pair. "Thank you so much for keeping my fiancé company while I was gone."

The woman seemed a bit taken aback by Kaoru's friendly attitude. "It was-a pleasure."

Kaoru lowered her voice to a low whisper. "Not everyone has been so nice to him since he's gotten out of the asylum."

Kenshin choked out the mouthful of sake he'd been about to swallow.

Kaoru leaned down to thump him on the back while she beamed at the whore's shocked face. "I don't care what they say. I've never for one moment believed he killed that whore. Oh well, maybe it's just a momentarily lapse of insanity."

This started Kenshin choking all over again. "I-excuse me, I remember my boss wants to see me."

"Run along," Kaoru said cheerfully. "And may Buddha be with you."

Kenshin finally had his choking fit under control. His expression even looked more ominous than usual and looked like he was going to strangle her.

"You're mad, aren't you?" she pouted. "It's just a joke, okay? You don't have to be grouchy about it."

"Shut up, before I spank you in public," Kenshin hissed and paid for his sake.

As they were about to exit the building, a middle-aged man suddenly took hold of Kaoru's wrist. "Want to join me, sweetheart?" he asked, leering.

Kaoru smiled brightly at the man and chirped, "If I told you that I have a piece of dirt in my eye, would you move?"

Seeing Kenshin's amber eyes and the way he flicked his sword made the man scamper.

"Mou! He's old enough to be my father, the pervert!" Kaoru fumed.

"You always held a fondness for perverts."

"I'm fond of you."

They strolled down the road and Kaoru immediately pulled Kenshin to one side as something caught her eye.

"Kenshin, look!" Kaoru picked up a bright blue ribbon. "Isn't this cute? We girls like cute things."

"Really? You're a girl? I didn't notice," Kenshin said mockingly.

"Oh, that's okay. I always knew you were slow. Were you retarded as a kid?"

Kenshin gave her an "I'm-going-to-get-you-later-for-that-remark" look.

"Oh, by the way, I have something for you." Kaoru gave him a brightly wrapped package.

"What is it?" Kenshin asked, eyeing the package suspiciously.

"Open it," Kaoru urged.

Kenshin opened the package to reveal a lavender gi that uncannily matches his eyes. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" Kenshin protested.

"Nothing………if you don't mind looking like a penniless vagrant."

"I am a penniless vagrant."

"Oh, for goodness sake!" Kaoru snapped. "Just take the damn thing, will you. Don't add ungraciousness to your other sterling qualities," she said impatiently when he looked away.

He looked back at her and his sudden grin moved her heart a fraction to the left. "Well, then, I'm not a man to disappoint a lovely and generous lady."

Kaoru turned away to hide her smile, for she was pleased that he had taken it from her, even if he must be rude in his enjoyment.

They met Kenshin's old acquaintance and invited them that evening to a teahouse.

That evening, sounds of laughter and talking could be heard. A geisha named Megumi pour sake to each guest while her `little sister' Sayo stayed to one side of her like a shadow.

Megumi wore a long exquisitely embroidered kimono. She gave each guest except Kaoru a brilliant smile through her beautifully applied white powered makeup. Her upper lip was unpainted which made the lower lip look fuller. Her hair was adorned with tortoiseshell and an unusual cluster of pearls at the end of a long pin.

Her guest ate and drank as she chatted with them, occasionally making snide remarks at Kaoru. It was done subtly that none of the guests, except Kaoru, knew the real meaning behind them. Kaoru was seething but she managed to keep her face calm.

`This woman obviously doesn't know who she's dealing with. When I'm through with her, she wouldn't know what hit her,' Kaoru thought smugly.

"What do you think of Miss Megumi?" Kenshin whispered.

"She looks like someone who fell on a sack of flour, face first," Kaoru whispered back.

"Ken-san, would you like another cup of sake?" Megumi offered. "It'll taste so much better because I'm the one pouring it. O-hohohohoho!"

"Oh my gosh! She must be the long-lost daughter of Santa Clause," Kaoru quipped.

"Who's Santa Clause?" Kenshin asked.

"Oh, a fatso in a red suit who likes to burglarize every house and leaves evidences in the morning."

"Huh?" Kenshin was perplexed.

"You know what? It's way past your bedtime. Little girls like you should be home and sleeping by now. You're far too young to mingle with adults," Megumi remarked slyly to Kaoru.

"You're absolutely right," Kaoru said seriously. "What can I say, I'm a stubborn girl."

"Well, try to remember next time, raccoon girl," Megumi said haughtily.

"That's a beautiful kimono Miss Megumi, except for the vile things that color does for your complexion," Kaoru shot back, putting on an innocent face.

"I don't know what you mean," Megumi retorted with a toss of her head.

"Why, if I could dress as devastatingly devastating as you, I'd die! I'd simply D-I-E-DIE!"

"Hmph! You don't want to admit that I have good taste," Megumi said, smirking.

"Kenshin, isn't her kimono looked like the one that whore we met this afternoon was wearing? Although that woman certainly carried it with flair. But don't you worry, Miss Megumi. I'm sure with practice you can be able to pull it off," Kaoru countered, smiling brightly.

Megumi looked at her furiously. "You're bitter just because I'm more beautiful than you are."

Kaoru shook her head. "One of these days, you're going to kill me with kindness."

"What can I say, I've got such a soft heart," Megumi said with another haughty toss of her head.

The younger female smirked. "Yes, it matches your head."

Kenshin was definitely amused by the conversation. Both women are witty and have sharp tongue. He sipped his sake contentedly and waited for more of the catfight.

The geisha looked at Kaoru with contempt. "You know, Ken-san needs an experienced woman, not a sorry excuse for a lady. So for heaven's sake keep away from him and give him space to breathe." Megumi looked at her opponent scornfully. "Well, someone had to tell you," she said spitefully. "I'm surprised you haven't taken the hint before now. If you must know, everyone thinks you're chasing him."

Kaoru smiled brightly at her. "Don't worry, I'll keep that in mind."

Megumi's eyes narrowed. She was furious that her words had not had the desired effect on this young woman. "You, my girl, are most certainly not Ken-san's type."

"Who on earth would want to be?" Kaoru shot back with convincing disdain.

"What kind of a fool do you think I am?" the older woman asked angrily.

"How many kinds do I get to choose from?" Kaoru looked at Megumi intently. "You know, you remind me of something."

"What do I remind you of?"

"A toothache I once had."

Megumi was livid but before she could say anything, Kaoru continued. "The trouble with you is that you're too obvious. You're just too desperate that's all. Not that I can blame you, looking like a kabuki and all." She gave her the sort of look one gives a spoiled child that doesn't know any better. She added spitefully. "Honey, I've got news for you. If you think you're Helen of Troy, then you're quite mistaken. You keep calling me little girl. But that's all right since I'm only 17. Yet you should be ashamed of yourself picking on little girls like me. If you're mature as you claimed to be, then you should act your age-senile!"

Sputtering was only the geisha's reaction.

Though Kaoru still wasn't finished with her. "You go after men younger than yourself. What are you, Kenshin's sugar mommy?"

Megumi was choking with rage. But she couldn't think of a witty comeback because some of Kaoru's statements were true. She then turned her attention to Kenshin and flirted shamelessly with him.

One of the men beside Kaoru looked at Megumi adoringly and sighed. "I could listen to her voice forever. Doesn't her sweet voice remind you of a song?"

"Yeah………the theme song from `Jaws'," Kaoru replied gripping her cup hard, wishing it were Megumi's neck.

The poor man doesn't have any idea what `Jaws' is and simply shrugged.

"Megumi and I have been getting to know each other." Kenshin turned to her and smiled. There is a glint of challenge in his eyes.

"I'm trying to talk Ken-san into hanging around for a while," Megumi said. "Why don't we ditch the little girl, Ken-san and have a little quality time together."

Kaoru reached over and patted Megumi's hand. "You, sweet, sweet thing. He's been so self-conscious around women since his medical problem was diagnosed. But I keep telling him-with the wonders of herbal medicine, those pesky little sexually transmitted diseases are hardly a problem for anyone anymore."

Megumi's smile faltered. She stared at Kaoru, then at Kenshin, and her whitened face seemed to take on a fairly gray hue. She then immediately turned to her other guest and ignored Kenshin.

Kaoru met his gaze dead on as if saying, `don't mess with me. You don't want me for an enemy.'

Megumi and another geisha performed a dance together. Most of the men sat picking their teeth through it. It's like they don't know the difference between dancing and sleepwalking.

"So, what do you think of Miss Megumi's dancing?" Kenshin asked.

"I'm afraid I couldn't watch it," Kaoru replied.

"You couldn't? Why not?"

"When I yawn that much, it brings on tears and everything turns blurry."

"Meaning?" asked Kenshin arching his eyebrow.

Kaoru sighed deeply. "It's dullsville, dad."

"W-what?" Kenshin asked frowning.

"Er………what I mean is that I'm bored to tears."

Kaoru feigned headache, so she and Kenshin excused themselves to go home. Once they're outside, Kenshin teased Kaoru about being jealous of Megumi capturing all his attention. He added the final blow. "I couldn't help it, if I'm a great lover."

"Great lover, my foot! You've got about as much romance in your soul as a clam. Watch the lips, Kenshin. You have all the passion of a prune. You've been about as romantic as my math quiz."

Kenshin glared at her, then asked her what was wrong when Kaoru came to a sudden halt, eyes wide open.

"Good heavens! Someone is strangling a cat!"

"What are you talking about? That's Miss Megumi singing."

Kaoru waited for Kenshin to fall asleep, then slipped away from the cabin to bathe. The thought of the clean, sparkling river that ran behind the cabin had her smiling. She quickly shucked off her clothes. Then, picking up her soap, she waded into the water.

After the heat and excitement of the day, the cool water feel heavenly against Kaoru's naked flesh. Sitting in the shallows, she began to rub the soap across the bottoms of her feet, smiling at the simple pleasure. Lifting first one leg, and then the other, she soaped them. She kicked them in the water, watching the suds float away. The young woman ran the soap across the flat planes of her stomach, then across her breasts and upward over her throat. Rubbing her hands together until they were soapy, she washed her face, and finally splashed water upward until the soap was rinsed away.

With a little laugh she got to her feet and began wading into the water. Her rounded bottom swayed slowly as she took careful, tentative steps. The gentle waves surged against her with every move she made. Gradually the water reached her waist, then her shoulder. Lathering her hair, she ducked under the waves and rubbed her scalp until all the soap had disappeared. Kaoru came up sputtering, and afterward began to swim in slow, lazy circles. Every so often she would dip below the water, then come up for air. Each time a deep, a throaty chuckle would break from her lips.

Suddenly, strong arms grabbed her and a scream of pure terror escaped her lips.

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Gomen for not updating immediately! Thank you all sooo much! I'm working on my very first one-shot fic. It's angsty, a far cry from my other fics. I'll give you a hint. It's a Kaoru-Kenshin-Tomoe fic. It's also limey ::blushing:: My very first lime. I can't believe it! Please watch out for it!

JML - My undying thanks for all your help. ::hugs & kisses::

Chibi-angel - Thanks a lot! Now, it's your turn to make me happy. Update your fics!

LSR-7 - Oro! Yup, I know that Japanese don't have middle names. Don't take everything so seriously. ::lol:: It's just Kenshin's sarcastic comment to Kaoru. You're absolutely right about that dilated thing. ::sigh:: Sometimes, my descriptions are kinda weird, but I already edited it. I didn't know about that kuruma thing though. Japanese just isn't my cup of tea. That's the reason I refrain from using too many Japanese words. ::sigh:: I get so confuse. ::lol:: I get confuse on almost everything.

Kamimura Kaoru - Happy ending? Maybe, maybe not. Well see. ::evil grin::

Drea13rk - I just realized that blue jeans was right. So I edited the curses. Thanks!

Bunny - Just one question. How come you never write any Sailormoon fics? Thanks for reading!

Nemo -- *sigh* I sort of given up understanding the intricacies of the English language. Putting your ideas into writing is fun, editing and trying to figure out if your grammar's correct is waaayyy too boring and frustrating at the same time. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Told ya, I'm having a lot of difficulty with the tenses and the subject-verb agreement. ::sob:: poor me!

Tsuki-sama - Thanks for reading my fics!

MP - Four thumbs up! Was your feet included? ::lol:: Thanks for reading!

Mutsumi, Crystal, Vesca, DiaBLo, Iris Strife, lieveit1, oLd NaVy, omochi, kawaii sakura-chan -- Thanks so much!

Chiki - Update your fic! ::lol::

Akemi -- ::lol:: Yup, I know that Japanese don't have middle names. Don't take everything so seriously. Thanks a lot!

Saby-chan - Sorry, if Tae's not the geisha. Hope you still like this chap. Thanks for reading!

Moon goddess - You're making me blush. Putting my story on your fave list.

Seashell - Actually, we also have Teriyaki burgers. Thanks for reading!

Mae - Thanks a lot!

Dreamaker13 - Tomoe & Kenshin, having son or daughter?! I don't think so. If your talking about the manga and the anime, no, they don't have children.

Anonymous - You didn't sign your name. Anyway, thanks for reading!