Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Vampire-istic ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, it's been a while. In truth, I was avoiding this chapter; it's rather the turning point of the story. I noticed a decided lack of reviews since Neil and Fro's little charade. Oh well. So, semester exams are over, I'm out of school, and I'm off work. Wow, free time. What's that again? There will be some slight historical changes to the normal RK timeline, but hey, they're vampires, that's change enough to screw some things up. Happy reading..and reviewing.

Disclaimer: I don't own Kenshin or Mogget.

~*~*~*~*~

One Month Later

Freya sat in her office staring out the window. A knock sounded throughout the room, and whoever had decided to interrupt the Captain's peace barged in without further ado.

"Where the hell have you been? I've been expecting a report from you for weeks. I thought you knew the responsibilities you had taken on when you agreed to be head of Recon. Kami! I can't even set up a meeting with you because you're always out of the office!" a voice bellowed. Freya turned in her chair to face her accuser.

"Hajime, really, do you think I enjoy the mounds of paperwork and the headaches without having to deal with you? I've been short two agents for a month because I had to take them to an informant's place to hide out. So I'm doing three people's jobs. My lovely predecessor was kind enough to not fill out reports for six months before he left, and I'm finally caught up. Oh, and your little department can kiss my ass because I am not about to bow down to you and beg for forgiveness."

"If you had just come to the last meeting we had scheduled, none of this would be happening right now. In all honesty, I feel it's almost my duty to report this to the Council. I do have some friends in very high places."

"Oh, so you're going to report me to the Council because I didn't attend a meeting scheduled by you? For your information, we had to reschedule that meeting because you decided not to show up one day. At least I had the decency to call before I just decided not to show up. You didn't even do that! I have been busy with things I wouldn't trust to any of my agents, so if you have a problem with me doing my job as it should be done, then go ahead, and report me to the Council. I too have friends in high places," Freya responded, her temper flaring at Hajime Saitou's accusations.

"Really Takimoto, I thought you had more sense than this. You defend yourself with a bunch of lies when any agent within the UPA knows what you had to do to get this department. How could you debase yourself so much?" Saitou challenged mockingly. It was a common rumor that Freya had had to sleep with some of the Council members to earn her slot as a department head and Captain. Department heads had never been women, until Freya came along.

"Do you think so highly of yourself that you can't believe a woman got the position you had been waiting for? Really, I thought you had more humility than that. Maybe that's what the Council is trying to teach you, humility. Kami knows that you could use it. I earned this position with every drop of sweat and every pint of blood given to it. Would you be so willing to do that?" Freya responded.

Shouting could be heard coming from the main office of the Reconnaissance department as apparently some intruder attempting to make his way through. Saitou and Freya ran for the door to see what could be done. A man with blood red hair and amber eyes came towards them, intent on something. From the way his hand was gripping his katana hilt, one might think he was going to slay someone.

"Takimoto," Kenshin growled, his anger ill concealed.

"Himura," Freya responded quietly.

"We need to talk," the blood haired man breathed.

"Hajime, I think we can finish this argument at a later time, I've got a more important visitor now," Freya said, her tone betraying her immense dislike of both of the men in the room.

"Hai, we will talk later," Saitou replied, his tone deflated and his natural curiosity piqued by the vampire sitting in the office. He left the room without a final biting remark, something rather uncharacteristic of the man.

"So Himura, I think I know what you're here for, so let's not beat around the bush," Freya began after settling into her leather chair.

"Are you so sure you know me well enough to know what I want?" Kenshin said, his anger rising along with his ki.

"With the way you looked at Kamiya Kaoru, I think I could wager a guess. Besides, I'm rather surprised you hadn't come to see me before now on the other matter."

"There's another matter?" asked Battousai in disbelief.

"You were rather angered when I told you we were related."

"Aa."

"Anyway, you most likely want to know where Kamiya is, and I cannot and will not divulge that information to you. She is somewhere safe, and that is all you need to know."

"The only place she is safe is with me," Kenshin responded quickly, his tone dangerous.

"Maybe, but she does not know you. I have no idea the relationship between the two of you, but from the look in her eyes I have reason to believe that she has never met you. Reincarnation was not that uncommon centuries ago, while it is hardly ever seen now. Maybe you two meant something to each other back then."

Kenshin stood to his feet in a rush of temper, "You dare insinuate that you know anything? You say we are related, I have seen no proof. You say Kaoru is in a safe place, yet you refuse to tell me where? What do you know, you poor excuse for a law enforcement officer?"

"I know that Kaoru is terrified of you, and if the relationship is what I think it is or was, then I don't think you could be trusted around her until you have a better handle on your emotions," Freya answered calmly, although she was having a hard time curbing the urge to beat the man until he came to his senses.

"You doubt my control? Have I not exercised control in not torturing you for the information?"

"I am a reconnaissance agent, I have been trained in ways to withstand torture even until death. You are the one that doubts, Battousai."

"You have not seen my methods of torture," Kenshin answered smoothly, his amber eyes alight with what could be considered ill concealed anticipation of the moment when the Captain would scream out all the information she knew.

"I am more than I appear to be, as you are. Do not think that I am stupid enough to believe that you would torture the only link to your beloved," with that said, Freya stood from her chair and left the room in a swirl of dark ki and flying strands of hair.

"I will find her, and I will repay you for this. This I promise," Battousai said, as he took a dagger from his belt and slammed it into Takimoto's desk. "I promise."

~*~*~*~*~

"Misao! Misao! Get your ass out here now!" Kaoru yelled from the kitchen of Hiko's mountaintop home. The Master of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu stood beside her apparently trying to conceal his considerable mirth. On the table before the duo, there was a medley of prepared food, each smelling and looking more offending than the last.

"You rang O great one?" Misao said jokingly as she looked around the room in shock. After having slid the shoji open, the horrific stench greeted her nostrils, causing her to hack.

"Hiko-san says that my cooking is horrible and allowing me to even touch a pair of chopsticks insults the culinary arts. Taste this food and tell him he's wrong!" Kaoru yelled pleadingly, her tone not allowing Misao any hopes of getting away from torture that could be far worse than a calculus final. Hiko merely stood by and grinned at Misao's plight, eager to see how the genki girl would deal with an angry Kaoru.

"Really Kaoru, I'm not really that hungry. In fact, I don't think I need anything to eat at all!" Misao replied, her tone pathetic in her attempt to shy away from the foul food the table held ready for her to taste not only once, but twice.

"Just a little bite, it won't hurt anything!"

"It might scar my taste buds for life," Misao muttered under her breath.

"What did you say?" Kaoru asked, her hands searching for something to bonk Misao on the head.

"Nothing!"

"Just a little bit, it wouldn't hurt a fly!"

"Oh fine," Misao responded, her tone defeated. She glanced at Hiko and warned him that if he didn't offer her CPR after the little taste something very painful would happen to him. Misao picked up a set of chopsticks and started for the nearest platter of what appeared to be severely mistreated beef stew. If I die, I'm going to kill Kaoru. She raised a small piece of meat to her lips and proceeded to attempt to eat the piece of imitation leather...I mean beef. At that moment, the phone rang, saving Misao from having to lie about the deliciousness of the stew.

"Moshi moshi," Kaoru said, having reached the phone first.

"Ah, Kaoru, how's it goin'?" Freya asked.

"Just great, I just finished cooking dinner for everyone," Kaoru replied happily. Freya winced at that news, Kaoru was notorious for her lack of culinary skills.

"Could I speak to Hiko-san please?"

"Aa," Kaoru said, handing the phone over to Hiko before pestering Misao about her stew.

"We have a problem," Freya began.

"We always have problems," Hiko replied, eyeing the two women arguing.

"More than usual. Your baka-deshi came to see me. We need to figure out a better plan before he comes to see you and discovers Kaoru and Misao. That's not a situation I'm looking forward to."

"I know of a place to hide them, but it would be more dangerous than letting them stay here."

"At this point, I don't know what to suggest. They should be here working, but that's not a great idea with the Battousai pining after one of them."

"Agreed, my baka-deshi could and would go to extreme measures for her. I knew them before, and trust me, he was extremely protective of her. In his own rurouni way of course."

"Hai. So, they stay with you for now?"

"Aa. Misao wishes to speak with you, I believe," Hiko replied before handing the phone off to Misao.

"Why are we stuck here wearing traditional clothes? I swear, I trip over my kimono way too many times to be accidental. If we're going to be up here, can't we at least wear real clothes?"

"What you have is considered real clothing, but I suppose I could swing by your apartment and pick up some stuff for you. I'll be heading up there in a few days to check up on you two."

"Good, make it fast, Captain," Misao responded before hanging up.

"Yeah," Freya said absentmindedly to the phone before putting it back into the receiver.

~*~*~*~*~

Three days later

Freya pulled her car to a stop just outside of Kyoto. She vacated the car and pulled a very large, very full duffel bag from the trunk with no apparent effort. The long climb up the hill took less time than the average human took to down a shot of tequila. She paused before sliding the shoji door open silently, stalking into the dimly lit kitchen.

"So Freya, you have arrived," a voice said, coming from the direction of a dark corner.

"Hai, so I have arrived. Where are the other two?"

"Asleep," came the disgusted reply. "How can humans stand to sleep so much?"

"They do not relish the night as we do. Any problems?"

"No more than usual. That Kamiya girl can't cook."

"What did you expect Hiko-san?"

"She has no culinary skills whatsoever. Most girls can at least bake decent cookies!"

"Aa, maybe that is true. I will leave their clothes and be on my way then," Freya said, turning to leave.

"Do not think you escape that easily," a new voice said. Freya turned to see that the voice belonged to Himura Kenshin in full Battousai fury. "I will deal with your betrayal later Hiko-san."

"Good to see you again, baka deshi," Hiko said, choosing to ignore Kenshin's insult. "What is your business here?"

"I came to see if you would assist me in finding Kaoru, but it appears you have already chosen for yourself. What did she offer you? Perhaps a warm body in your bed?"

"Do not deface your own relative thus, it does not suit the Kenshin I know," Hiko spat.

"So you also knew of my apparent relation to her?"

"Hai, she came to me many many years ago in search of her only living relative. I did not know where you were and could not direct her anyway. She stayed with me for a time before leaving to find work in other countries."

"So, she did warm your bed, how ironic, I find a living relative only to discover that in truth, they are dead."

Freya interrupted seething, "I am actually an undead, like yourself. And you think wrongly when you assume that I would stoop so low as to 'warm' a man's bed."

"What did you think my reaction would be to a relative that I have no memory of?"

"You could at least give your sister the benefit of the doubt," Hiko cut in.

"Sister?" Kenshin cried incredulously.

"Thanks Hiko, next time I need your help I'll just shoot myself in the foot instead. It would be less painful," Freya responded, her voice filled with chagrin.

"No problem, you were takin to long to tell the man your connection."

"I have no sister," Kenshin cut in, his voice dangerous and his hand tightening on his katana hilt. Hiko's eyes widened, a battle in his kitchen wasn't something he was exactly hoping for.

"Ah, but you do. You are three years older than me, I believe. Time's a bit fuzzy now, but I think that's right. Mother and Father had hidden me away in a cabinet and were putting you in another hiding place when the slavers came. You were 8 at the time. Father fought too much and was killed because of it. Mother sacrificed her life to save you from a life of slavery. She too was killed, they discovered you but did not find me. I left the house many days later, with only the dog to aid me in my search of you. The dog is still with me to this day, became an undead when he tried to fight off a feeding vampire that was coming after me when I was about 7."

"Then why don't I have any memory of you?"

"Do you have any memory of our parents?" Freya questioned almost kindly, the look in her eyes said something totally different.

"Well," Kenshin paused, "no, I don't."

"I had heard of a man fighting in the Revolution with pure red hair and short stature. I was foolish enough to try to track him down, as soon as I had heard of him. The man had fighting skills that were unmatchable, I was able to track him to his shishou (A/N: most likely not spelled right, but at this point, I don't care). I bugged Hiko for many months before he even acknowledged that he had a student. To me, that was a victory greater than anything. During those months, we formed some sort of a friendship, I left for Tokyo and began working to earn money. At the time I believed that Hiko here would send my only brother after me and there would be a tearful reunion. As you can see, I've had to wait for more than a lifetime for that, and there have been no tears involved," Freya paused for a moment before continuing.

"I left Japan for several years and traveled about, earned a few college degrees, that sort of thing. I returned to Kyoto and was on my way to visit Hiko to see if he had any new information. That's when I was attacked and changed into one of the undead. Hiko here taught me how to function and survive in the Underworld. Eventually, I began working for various intelligence agencies, which is what I still do to this day."

"All very touching, I'm sure, but I have no proof that we are related other than this sob story you have just related to me. The only one that could possibly verify the facts would be Hiko, but after his very recent betrayal of not disclosing the whereabouts of my Kaoru, I would trust nothing of what he said."

"Megumi could perform a DNA test," Hiko said calmly, completely at odds with the furious rage growing inside of him.

"Hai, she could."

"Then we shall see Megumi-dono as soon as I take Kaoru and Misao back to Tokyo with me," Kenshin stated, heading towards the door that lead to the sleep quarters in the house.

"Baka deshi, when you are under my roof, you go by my rules. Kaoru and Misao will return to their home with Freya when she deems the time right," Hiko stated in a very matter-of-fact tone.

Freya spoke, "You have forgotten that Enishi is at work, and I have much to do concerning him. You too are out to settle a score; however, Kaoru and Misao must stay out of the middle of this, lest Enishi decide that taking out the two of them looks very appetizing. Again."

Kenshin had nothing to say to this and stalked from the room.

"That went well," Hiko said almost comically.

~*~*~*~*~

One month later

"They still have not returned to Tokyo," Aoshi stated, his heart in turmoil. Kidnapping Misao would not look very good for himself, besides, Hiko would have security around his house doubled.

"Iie, they have not. I am beginning to think that having another talk with my supposed sister is in order," replied Kenshin coolly."

"I will talk to her this time, you wouldn't want to be perceived as too much of a nuisance."

~*~*~*~*~

Freya walked through her department to reach her office but paused before opening the door to enter. She shook off the feeling of ambush and headed inside, only to find Shinomori Aoshi holding a kodachi against her throat.

"Scream and I will kill you," Aoshi said coldly, all emotion devoid from his face and voice.

"You consider me the type to scream? I'm almost offended. I assume you're here to ask about Makimachi. She will be returning shortly, after my last few agents have reported in to me," Freya stated calmly. One would have thought this discussion was being held over a cup of coffee, if they relied on the tone of voice between the two.

"How soon is that?" Aoshi queried, his heart racing.

"Less than a week, I will inform you when they have returned."

"Good, be sure you do." The kodachi was suddenly withdrawn from her throat as the vampire stalked from the room.

Freya calmly went to sit at her desk and made a quick call.

"Seta? Good, it's tonight."

~*~*~*~*~

Seta Soujiro sat calmly in his office, mulling over the phone conversation of sorts that he had just had with Takimoto Freya. Tonight is the night that all things shall come to a head.

Soujiro's smile was the same as usual, but there was a look in his eye that said far more than one of his smiles could ever say. The Tenkan was ready for the feel of blade slicing through flesh and bone.

"Take messages and allow no visitors," he said to his secretary, disappearing into his office to sharpen his blade one last time. Tonight.

~*~*~*~*~

Freya sat in her office, calmly staring at the array of weapons laying on her desk. Both katanas, two kodachi, kunai, two semi-automatic police issue Berettas, yup, that's everything. Anyone carrying that varied armory was in for a tough night. Or maybe they just liked to be prepared for anything. She stood and began to calmly place the weapons into their various hiding places and hostlers. Walking from her office, she grabbed her black leather trench coat and flipped it on, her pace never slowing. Soujiro, who was also prepared to fight, with only one weapon at his disposal, met her in the hall. His katana. The two exchanged glances before silently heading down the numerous flights of stairs. Tonight was the night when all things would be settled.

~*~*~*~*~

Kenshin met Aoshi at their usual place. Tonight the city of Tokyo would once again be patrolled by their nocturnal guardians.

"I have a feeling tonight will be a busy night," Kenshin stated calmly, staring out at Tokyo's skyline.

"Hai," Aoshi replied, turning to step from the heights of the tall apartment building. Kenshin followed them, neither making a sound as they landed from the several story fall.

"Let's go," Kenshin said, before taking off in a random direction. Neither vampire knew what type of trouble would find them that night, and neither one expected it.

~*~*~*~*~

"Sano, where are Kenshin and Aoshi tonight?" Megumi asked of her husband.

"If they stick to the schedule, they should be up in the east side of the city. Why?" came his amicable answer.

"Just wondering. You know, neither one has been around much in the past couple of months."

"Yeah, I think it's 'cause of Jou-chan and Misao. You know what they do to them," Sano answered with a grin.

"You're right. They'll be fine, let's just hope those two will be."

~*~*~*~*~

Freya and Soujiro stood outside a seemingly abandoned warehouse.

"Ready?" Freya asked of the Tenkan standing next to her.

"Hai," was his reply.

"Let's go," came her reply as she practically flew down the short distance to the warehouse. Soujiro followed her, his classic speed still in place and boosted by his vampyric powers. They halted at a tall window that appeared to overlook the entire floor of the warehouse. Freya searched for handholds before scampering up. Soujiro stood watch as the she-vampire made sure that all of the guards were still in the places that her undercover agents had told her they would be.

"Checkmate," Freya said, a grin gracing her grim features.

"Let's hope Yukishiro Enishi enjoys prison," Soujiro said.

"Or death," Freya responded, her jump allowing her to join Soujiro on the asphalt parking lot. They made a brief circuit of the building, searching for any possible escape routes or extra guards. Nothing of worth catching their eye, the duo began to work on a nearby door. The door opened noiseless, thanks to a little bit of grease applied to the hinges. A pile of dilapidated crates met their eyes.

"It should be around here somewhere," Soujiro whispered softly.

They began to search the concrete floor for a small box, something that could be easily concealed. Freya found it in the middle of the warehouse and walked briskly towards it. She opened it, revealing a slip of paper and a computer chip. The next sound to greet her ears was one of Soujiro's battle cry. They had company.

~*~*~*~*~

"There has been no activity tonight Battousai," Aoshi said, his eyes roving over their surroundings. They had somehow ended in the warehouse district of Tokyo.

Kenshin's eyes glimmered an unholy amber, "Yes, I know. I feel it though, I feel it."

Aoshi said nothing, knowing that when Kenshin was like this, it was better not to offer suggestions.

"We will spend some time here," Kenshin said, his tone assured and determined.

~*~*~*~*~

"How many of these things are there?" Freya shouted to Soujiro over the din of battle.

"Quite a few it appears," came his reply. They were demolishing Enishi's crew of minions by any means necessary. In other words, it appeared to be a mindless slaughter. Bodies were strewn everywhere and the two officers of the Underworld Protective Agency were literally covered in blood, some their own, most the cast off from the bodies lying dead at their feet. Blood ran thick down their weapons, swords struggled to gleam under the thick coat of various werewolves', vampires', and human's lifeblood.

"How many more?" Soujiro yelled to the she-vampire, who appeared to be a little too busy to answer.

"Too many," she shouted, before taking a wound in her shoulder. She screamed a battle cry and went berserk, killing all in her path with well placed, if not overly painful, slashes. She looked around her and noticed that there were no other opponents left. "Well done, Seta," she said, wiping the blood from her twin katanas.

"I think we have some more company," came the Tenken's hesitant response.

"Oh shit."

~*~*~*~*~

Kenshin stood up abruptly and headed in the direction of a nearby warehouse. Aoshi followed him wordlessly. None dared question the Battousai when he was certain of something.

They walked into what appeared to be World War III. Bodies of vampires, werewolves and humans alike lay strewn about, fallen in battle it appeared. The two seasoned swordsmen scanned the warehouse for the people dealing death. When they saw a head of black and red, they wordlessly fell into battle, killing and maiming to their best advantage.

Unfortunately, the Battousai was feeling a bit...frustrated. He was in full Battousai rage, killing effectively and cleanly, hardly allowing the next in line to step up to battle before slaying them. When there were not any more people to kill, he paused and flicked his katana clean of any blood. He turned to face Soujiro and Freya, who were examining their wounds, or what was left of the unhealed ones.

"What was this for," Battousai questioned, his tone allowing no room for anything other than an honest answer.

"Something to ensure Yukishiro Enishi rots in prison," was Freya's calm response. Quailing under Battousai's formidable amber gaze was not an option, that would appear weak.

Battousai quickly grabbed the Captain by her throat and pressed her against the wall, "So Kaoru will be returning soon." He did not ask it of the Captain, merely informed her that that was her only hope of survival.

"As soon as I have all of the paperwork completed and a warrant out for Enishi. Oh, and I'll have to find time to drive to Kyoto to bring them back," Freya did not like being bullied into something, and she would make sure that she had her say in the matter as well.

"How long," Aoshi asked calmly, as Battousai released her. Freya did not give them the satisfaction of seeing her massage her now sore neck.

"Three days, at most three days. If need be, I can shuffle some of this paperwork to Soujiro, he knows it like the back of his hand. Damn him," Freya said, the last part almost kind.

"Three days, or we will hunt you down," Kenshin said, turning to stride from the room. Koishii, soon we will see each other again.

~*~*~*~*~

Three days later

Kaoru glanced out the window into the courtyard below. Misao stood there, kunai bristling in her hands, ready to unleash them at the moving targets. Hiko flicked a switch and Misao let loose, missing only three targets. Hiko had insisted on sharpening their weapons skills.

"Ha! Look at that!" Misao exclaimed, her immense joy at her improvement clearly evident. "Freya!" she shouted, as she saw her commanding officer striding towards them. Freya's face held an expression of welcome. Two men were walking behind her, straying towards the shadows.

Kaoru, who had run down the stairs to greet her friend, ran by them, hardly noting their existence. Kenshin's heart twisted in agony, would she ever notice him, or would he have to give her up? Aoshi watched as Misao talked animatedly to her superior. Hiko had made his way silently towards them and spoke.

"She has kept her word," was all that was said before the Thirteenth Master of the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu went into his house, sliding the shoji shut with unnecessary force.

"Maybe she has, but I still do not trust her," Kenshin said to the silent Aoshi. Both men pined for the girls before them, ached to show them their undying love. Sadly, that day would have to wait until a more appropriate time. After they had been introduced perhaps.

~*~*~*~*~

Freya found Hiko sitting in an armchair overlooking the courtyard. He looked below and noted the interaction between his baka deshi and the others.

"So this is where you've decided to hide out," Freya said teasingly. Hiko turned to look at her before swiftly returning his gaze to the window.

"I disagree with your decision. You know what could happen," Hiko said coldly.

Freya shifted on her feet before launching into her explanation. "Aa, I also put if off as long as I possibly could, two months in fact. At some point, a girl's gotta keep her word."

"That may be so, but your decision to take them could result in their deaths."

"You old softie, Enishi doesn't have the balls to try to kill them again. With Himura and Shinomori, not to mention the entire Oniwabanshu, what idiot would dare try something like that? True, Enishi is insane, so he could try it. You've been training those two, they could fend for themselves until one of us got their to help them out. It's not too good for their self-esteem, but at least they would be alive."

"You think telling Himura you are related and protecting those two girls will change anything? Enishi knows what you are trying to do, and if he's anything like he used to be, he's thought ahead. Would you try to take on a vampire that was ten moves ahead?"

"Normally, no. This time it's different."

Hiko snorted, "And that's your entire reasoning behind it? That it's different this time?"

"I've already dealt a blow to Enishi, I don't see what your problem is," Freya said angrily.

"Oh have you now," Hiko said tauntingly. The look on his face didn't match the face of the man Freya was used to dealing with.

"You, Hiko-san, will just have to trust me in this. Have a wonderful decade," Freya said, practically throwing the words over her shoulder as she stormed from the room. It had not been a good day for the Captain.

~*~*~*~*~

"So your name is Himura Kenshin," Kaoru said, her mind reeling. The name sounded so familiar, but where had she heard it?

"Hai, and you are Kamiya Kaoru," Kenshin replied, his normal amber eyes had returned to their violet beauty. It was not wise to scare the woman you loved because of your eye color.

"Hai," Kaoru said, ducking her head like a little schoolgirl as a blush crept across her cheeks.

"So, is the reunion over? I've got some stuff to finish up back at the office. You know, the office, that place in Tokyo where people go to work and do that sort of thing," Freya said, her ill humor quite evident in her tone.

"We know what an office is, Captain," Misao retorted, turning to grab the large duffel containing the her and Kaoru's clothing. Aoshi beat her to it, turning to give a slight quirk of the mouth. For Aoshi, it could have been considered a full-blown smile.

"Really? Well good, you'll be seeing quite a lot of it now," Freya said, turning to walk to her car. She popped the trunk and motioned for Aoshi to stow the bag in the back. It had been a long, silent car ride from Tokyo, Freya had no desire to repeat the experience.

The gathering climbed into the car, Freya hardly waited for everyone to get buckled before peeling out of her parking spot. It would be a long drive back to Tokyo with her driving.

~*~*~*~*~

"So, have you examined the contents of the disk we sto- borrowed from Enishi?" Freya asked of Soujiro, her honey smooth voice trying to coerce him into telling her all the supposedly juicy details. The case in which the piece of paper and the disk had been kept was on the desktop, Freya picked up the piece of paper and read it eagerly. The letter resembled something like this:

The contents of the disk include: base locations, troop movements, agenda, personnel listings, and various other odds and ends. This disk should be kept safe at all costs, even that of your own life. The loss of this disk means the loss of all that our agenda pertains to, the downfall of the Battousai and the Underworld Protective Agency included. The Council will also be conveniently disposed of. Loss of this disk means loss of all the privileges award to you. For example, life itself.

EY

Freya stared in shock. "Does the disc have half of what it says it has?"

"That and more. Enishi was very stupid creating this disk. Very convenient for us," came Soujiro's response as he peered at the monitor in front of him. "It appears that Enishi plans to do away with the Council. We both know that is a very bad idea. The Council has one of the most powerful vampires on it, not to mention some high-ranking humans. Worthless humans, in my opinion, but high ranking nonetheless."

"Yes, and that one vampire has a strong dislike of me at the moment," Freya said musingly.

"You know who it is?"

"Of course I do, I'm in Recon after all. Besides, it's common rumor around the underground underworld...that doesn't make any sense. Rephrase it. The lowlifes in the underworld know who it is, almost for certain. I've gotten some pretty reliable intell from those idiots, so I'd believe 'em." Freya said confidently.

"Whatever Takimoto," Soujiro said in disgust, turning to look at the monitor once again.

~*~*~*~*~

Enishi spoke to a man standing in the shadows, "They have the false disk?"

"Yes," the man spoke, turning to leave after this, knowing his master would want to be alone to gloat.

"Good, this shall be easier than I thought," Enishi said, his blue eyes glittering dangerously.

~*~*~*~*~

Well, I've figured out my problem. I have beautiful scenes in my head that I don't have the words to describe. Well, that and I don't want to sound like a sap or obsessive compulsive. My apologies for this chapter. School, work, and Nutcracker (bleh) conspired to give me very little time to do anything else, which includes writing a chapter. With luck, the next chapter won't take as long. Happy Holidays (a few days late) and good-bye. Oh, any questions can be emailed or left in the form of a review. Adieu.