Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Wanderer ❯ Side Chapter ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
It was a day, unlike the others. The sky was full, dark foreboding clouds drooped over the land, as if foggy veils. The moon's beautiful rays were hidden, a meager candle in a smoke filled room. The only lights came from the heavens themselves. If a Zeus did exist, he was punishing the earth with his bolts tonight. A small figure was running through the night.

Heavens tears were shed, the angels seemed to weep and grieve for something lost. Drenching the world below, and a specific man whom ran through the streets. He was a small for his age. Long flaming hair damp and tangled now, due to the weather. What was once a magenta top, clutched to his skin, the color of blood upon fabric now, due to the water. His white hakama's made a sloshing noise as he ran along. Even though the weather was dim and dreary, it didn't affect his mood. For you see, this man was finally going home. It had been weeks since he had seen his wife. Though it felt like years. 'Did anything change?, he asked himself. Finally the doors of his wifes dojo came into site. He rushed there, pressing against the gate. A creak became deaf within the night, drowned out by the crashing of the storm. He stopped within the walls, the water still pouring down upon him. But, it didn't matter to him. It was like he had just entered paradise. In his eyes, this was one of the brightest days of the week. A soft whisper escaped his lips, lost as well. "tadaime..I'm home..Kaoru, Kenji" The place hadn't changed at all. Still the same home he had remembered. He made his way within the building. Stumbling through the dark, it dawned on him, exactly how weary he was. After leaving Kyoto, helping some citizens there take care of a murderer that was plaguing them, he had made his way back. All the while not even thinking about his health or rest.

The sound of wood scraping against wood was heard, as the man, Kenshin, slid open the door to his beloveds. Standing underneath the doorway, he paused. Did he have a right to be here? To take this woman that he now looked upon into his arms? He, the man who had left her behind. He could still hear her pleas, and see the tears in her eyes when he left, refusing to allow her to journey with him, though she had promised to not be a nuisance. Soft violet eyes stared down at the figure laying upon the floor. She was shrouded in a warm blanket, a pillow at her head. She was like an angel, her dark raven hair, almost blue, lay about her, seemingly messy... yet at the same time, in his eyes; true beauty. Kneeling, he sat beside her futon, and was content to gaze upon her sleeping figure. For a moment, he wished to capture those soft lips within his own, to wake her. Be the prince charming to wake the sleeping beauty.

His fingertips caressed her cheek, and the thumb moved across the bottom of her lip. He so wished to carry her in his arms, but never again. He wouldn't let himself contaminate her. She didn't deserve the pain he felt. After years of fighting, his body finally succumbed to a disease. It was minor now, but he had the suspicion that years from now, it would be his demise. And he could not allow himself to taint Kaoru in such a way. The beauty stirred. Blue eyes, deep and sorrowful opened. They seemed to stare into his own violet eyes, not truly seeing. As if a lost and confused little bird. His name echoed within his soul, it made him feel alive again, coming from her lips. "Ken...shin.?"

She blinked for a bit, afraid she was dazed and delusional. But no, this man was not a figment of her imagination. Sitting, she did the only thing that her mind allowed her to... She latched herself to him, clinging as if for dear life. Soft tears trailed down her cheeks, and her hair became moist against his shirt, as he had not changed from his drenched clothing yet. She sobbed, it had been so long. She had felt so lost, as if he entire world had come crashing down. Finally, as she stopped, she realised..he was soaked!

"Kenshin, you should get changed, here, take that off" her delicate hands worked to untie his top (And no!!!! she's not trying to do anything but get him out of wet clothing, for all those perverted people out there!!!). However, strong hands stopped her. She stared up into his eyes. A small voice within her told her that something was wrong. He was hiding something beneath that gi. And she was bound and determined to find out. Finally, he complied.

He didn't want to, show her his pain, that is. The mark of the disease was etched onto his skin. He didn't want her to know., but he couldn't hide it from her either. Could not lie to her, and hug her, tell her that everything was alright. It hurt so much. As he removed his top, he braced himself, he could hear her soft gasp. Watching, he stopped her before she touched the mark. He would not let her become contaminated.

Tears welled her eyes. So this was it, he was suffering. "Please Kenshin, let me share your pain. Lift it from your shoulders." The tears once again fell, trailing down her cheeks. She allowed her head to tilt, as his hand cupped her cheek. The nice warm feeling filled her heart. "You wont let me share your burdens along your side. But, I had accepted you as my husband, will you not accept me as your wife? I want to be your sheath Kenshin..just as Tomoe once was. I cannot protect by your side, as it is your wish. Let me share your pain from afar. Please Kenshin"

An internal battle warred within him. He loved this woman, with all of his heart, and her him. Could he really allow her to suffer with him? He did not wish it to be so, but it was her choice. He let go of her hands, and winced slightly as her fingertips caressed his chest. His arms wrapped around her, resting is head upon hers, he left soft kisses upon her temple. And slowly, he moved downward, until they captured one another's lips. Through the night, he let her take his pain, shared it with her, and finally fully accepted her as his wife. However, he did not fully know the consequences and rewards of his actions that night. He had thought the disease would only affect him, Kaoru had not destroyed her body with the ways of war. How wrong he was. He left a few days later, and did not return for a year. When he came back, he found a rather large suprise... They were gone.