Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ What Was Lost Is Found ❯ Chapter I ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

What Was Lost Is Found

Darkness to light,
Sunlight to shadows,
an era ends,
a new one emerges.
What was lost is found...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



A momentary splash of color amongst the green went unoticed on the deserted road. The slender form hid behind a tree at its side and sank to the grass wearily, resting against the smooth bark. He closed his eyes momentarily, then opened them again. Shining brown flared up for a split second, then dimmed once more. He was here, his scent was on the wind. Nostrils flared and lungs expanded, breathing deeply. That was him alright. Sanosuke. So the rumors were true, then. A small smile played around the corners of well-shaped lips. He had found him.

Hearing the distinct sound of feet on the raod, the man jumped to his feet with cat-like reflexes, landing in a half-crouch, keen eyes scanning the road anxiously. The shadows played over his smooth face, painting it with an ever darker handsomness. Moments later a lean form came into view, striding down the road purposely. Long brown hair whipped back from a slender, high-cheekboned face and a green headband showed. His legs shaking, the shadowed man sank back to the ground slowly, forehead covered with a thin film of sweat. It can't be! Maybe he was mistaken...but no, there was no mistaking that face or that stride. It was he. Katsu. So they were both here, living in the same area. He wondered briefly is they knew about each other, but the though was chased from his mind as once more, thoughts of his present situation crowded in again.

Shaking his head, he leaned against the tree yet again, and plucked a slender leaf from the willowly plant growing at its base. Putting the leaf to his lips, he blew and a high-pitched whistle floated through the heavily perfumed spring air. He always whistled when he was thinking, it calmed his somewhat, helped him think more rationally. First things first. He must find someplace to stay...somewhere large if his plans were to work out. Then, and only then, could he continue the search for Sanosuke. And now Katsu.

Rising and brushing his ebony pants off, he threw down the leaf and stretched. It had been a hard journey and he needed rest.

"I will find them again, though," Souzou Sagara swore mentally. "I will." And the dark form slipped from tree to tree along the side of the road, heading towards the town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Setting down his cup, Souzou finished the last of his tea and rose impatiently. Today was the third day of his search. He had fully recovered from his grueling journry and had completly sorted out all his thoughts. It was time for action. But, his plan was thwarted until his could find Sanosuke or Katsu and this was not proving easy. He checked to make sure his sword was secure in its sheath and breezed out the door.

Wandering the streets of the unfamiliar town, his mind was swamped in memories of his two favorite boys, who had been like sons to him. But, while his mind was in turmoil, his eyes automatically scanned the crowds around him. The years had been good to Souzou. No matter that it had been a decade since his supposed "death". His eyes were still sharp and clear, possesing the ability to see almost as well as an eagle. His face was smooth an refined as it had been in the days of the Sekihoutai, unmarred by any scars or wrinkles. Straight and slender as always, he strode down the rode, eyes searching. But his way was blocked by a tall, lanky man in a white jacket that read "bad" across the back.

"Bad? Souzou wandered.

Then his eyes snapped up as he caught a flash of red against the shockingly blue sky. The ends of a red headband tied around a head of dark brown spikes fluttered in the breeze. Red headband...hair...red headband...Hie eyes widened and he stopped dead in his tracks.

"Sano..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Sanosuke Sagara stopped and paused for a second in the middle of the road. Wandering the town he had been thinking about heading over to the dojo to get something to eat, when he had sensed someone close behind him. Ignoring it, he only paused when he thought he heard his name. Half turning, his chocolate eyes briefly flickered backwards. He saw no one he knew. Shrugging his shoulders, he turned his back and continued on his way to the dojo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The name left his lips unconciously, before he could stop it. Using the cat-like reflexes he had exhibited before, he quickly ducked into a small shop on the side of the road. Seeing Sanosuke pause, then continue on, he breathed a sigh of relief and followed his previous charge to the dojo.

But unbeknownst to Souzou, Sanosuke was now on his guard. Having seen the edge of Souzou's red coat disappear into the shop, suspicions had begun to form in the back of his mind. His hands balled into fists inside of his pockets and his muscles tensed. Warily he continued to the dojo. He was ready.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Souzou stood beneath the tree and gazed up into its green, leafy foilage. His gaze rested on a thick branch high up, and his eyes glinted in the morning sun. Grabbing the lowest branch, he hoisted himself up and climbed lithely to his chosen branch. He settled himself comfortably against the trunk and leaned dark head back against it. His shining chocolate eyes took in all that was happening in the courtyard below.

Though the leaves of the tree provided a shield from eyes below, Sanosuke was uneasy. He had felt a presense all the way here and once he had entered the dojo, it hadn't gone away. Now, he felt as if someone were watching him with unseen eyes. Yet, it wasn't a threatening presense. It was just uncomfortable, bot knowing who it was, but yet...there was something almost...familiar about it. Like a wraith from a half-forgotten dream, it teased him, lingering and poking. As his frustration mounted, it began to show through. Brows knitted together, he sat on the steps of the dojo and stared at nothing, eyes intense and focused.

"Sanosuke? Sanosuke?!"

He looked up, startled. "Hmm?"

"What's the matter? You look really stressed," Kaoru's voice brought him back down to earth.

"I...I felt...something. Like someone followed me here...like...there're watching me...right now."

Kenshin looked up from where he had been crouched down by the cooking fire and his eyes narrowed. "Someone followed you?" He stood up and his hand rested lightly on the hilt of his reverse-blade sword.

"I don't know, Kenshin," Sano replied, amused at the reaction in his friend. "I just felt a presense. But, it was almost...familiar."

Kenshin raised one eyebrow and cocked his head.

Yahiko chose this moment to remind everyone that he was still there. "I think Sanosuke's just crazy. Anyone with his brain has to be." He smirked. Next thing he knew, he was on the ground, pinned by a very irritated Sano.

"You little punk!" he said, before hitting his smartly on the head and letting him go.

"Ouch! What was that for?! You big oaf!"

Giving Yahiko an exasperated look, Sano turned his attention back to Kenshin who was still standing there, hand on sword hilt, listening. "Kenshin, I'm sure it was nothing."

"No," Kenshin replied. "I sense it, too. Someone is watching us.

From his perch high up in the tree, Souzou grinned smugly to himself.

His eyes narrowing even further, Kenshin stared all around the courtyard. A few minutes later, he relaxed and sat back down, but still kept his guard up. The others, made uneasy by the fact that they were being watched, tried not to look to perturbed and went back to whatever it was they had been doing.

Souzou smiled another small smile and his eyes left Sanosuke for a fraction of a moment to rest on Kenshin. So this was the legendary manslayer, reduced to nothing but a cook and housekeeper. Shaking his head a little Souzou focused his attention back on Sanosuke.

Sitting on the steps, with Yahiko and the girls playing a game at his feet, he grinned down at them with a brotherly air. He ruffled Yahiko's hair and pinched the little girls' cheeks. The smile played around Souzou's lips once more as he saw how happy Sanosuke seemed. Then his smile turned bitter and sad, remembering all the years of happiness he had lost, when his death had been announced and the Sekihoutai scattered and killed. Now he, Sano, and Katsu were all that remained. But, now that he had found Sano, finding Katsu would be all the easier.

Sano squirmed as he felt a shiver run up his spine. It felt as if someone were dragging a finger up his back, carressing it with a long fingernail. Finally, being able to bear it no longer, he jumped up and screamed, "I don't care who you are, or what you want! Come out now! I'm sick of being watched!"

Souzou grinned his trademark half-grin and stood up upon the branch. Sanosuke had always had a bit of a temper, and more often then not, it got the better of him. Now, things were about to get interesting.

Below, Sanosuke stood in the coutyard, one fist clenched before him, while the others stared. Kenshin's hand went back to his sword hilt, the food forgotten. A small smile danced at the corners of Souzou's mouth. Sano looked like he had improved much since their time together with the Sekihoutai. His tall, muscular frame was tensed, ready to sping, and his eyes were intense and alert. He had obviously learned much in ten years and it had served him well.

But now was not the time for idle observation and reflection. Leaping gracefully from the top branch of the tree, Souzou flipped into the air and landed cat-like in front of Sanosuke and his friends, coat swirling out behind him. His eyes shone and his mouth twitched upwards slightly.

Sanosuke's face went white. "M-m-master Sagara," he stuttered. "But...but you're...dead."