Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ What Was Lost Is Found ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

What Was Lost Is Found

Chapter 3

Darkness to light,
Sunlight to shadows,
an era ends,
a new one emerges.
What was lost is found...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking slowly, as if he had not a care in the world, he turned his head upwards and watched the shimmering blue sky. His feet slowed on the road and he stopped momentarily to watch a pair of birds chase each other across the cloud-strewn expanse above. The Kamiya Dojo rose up before him and he quickly brought his attention back down to Earth. He must talk to Sano today and find out where Katsu was. Then they could finally begin their plans to rebuild the Sekihoutai.

Strolling into the courtyard he was greeted by a loud exclamation from Sano. "Where the hell were you?! Why did you just leave like that?!" The lanky form of the younger man rose quickly from the steps.

"I was out running some errands, but I'm back now. You don't have to sound so angry!" Souzou replied calmly.

Sano immediately got quiet and an almost meek look stole across his face. "I-I'm sorry. It's just that…well when I woke up and you were gone I just got so scared…that you…you…that you had left me again." He bowed his head and the end of his red bandana fluttered slightly in the breeze.

Souzou's eyes took on a soft look and he put a finger under Sano's chin and raised it up to meet his gaze. "I will NEVER leave you again. Do you hear me? I promise I will stay with you and Katsu always. From now on. Understand?" His gaze was unwavering and his tone was serious as he stared at Sano. Dropping his finger, he broke the gaze.

Sano shook himself slightly and turned once more towards his former master. "So, what are we doing today?"

Souzou answered briskly, his little pep talk over. "Well, I was hoping you could show me where Katsu lives and that we could then convince him to join with us and help make our dream a reality." He stretched, still cat-like, and waited.

Sano smirked and said, "What are we waiting for then?! Let's go find Katsu!" And he dashed over to the entrance of the dojo, half turning back to glance at Souzou, waiting impatiently. Souzou laughed and ran over also, his pace just as swift and as sure as it had been 10 years ago. The two men went off at a quick pace down the road, jogging in and out of shadows, scented breezes tickling their noses and leaves and flower petals dusting their shoulders for split seconds before they were swept away again. The sun shone brightly above them and seemed to mirror their sky-high spirits as they ran towards their hopeful future.

White jacket flapping out behind him Sano breathed in as deeply as he could and flared his nostrils to catch even more of the sickly sweet flowers' scents. This was his favorite time of the year, when everything was new and green and fresh. The heartbeat of the earth pulsed all around him and was evident in every little speck of life he saw. It was a wonder to his eyes every time he saw it, even though he had been seeing it for 19 years. He saw it anew every time, for the earth was always changing, always moving, always teeming with life.

He cheeks glowed pink with exertion and his headband flew out behind him, snapping gently like the proud flag of the Calvary. Souzou grinned to himself when he saw that, for even in the 10 years they had been separated, Sano had still clung to that same red headband. He had always worn it, and under no circumstances was it ever removed from his head. The worst crime someone could to do Sanosuke would be to remove that band from around his spiky head. Souzou knew from experience how attached Sano was to the headband and how far he was willing to go to keep it on. The former Sekihoutai leader rubbed his arm ruefully as he remembered just how hard Sanosuke's punch had been, even at 9 years of age it had left a dull throbbing ache and a nice purple bruise to go with it.

They were now entering the outskirts of the city, and Souzou's hand pulled back from his arm and took its original place at his side. Slowing slightly so he was about half a step behind Sano he watched with interest as the teen wove his way in and out of all the people with ease and surefootedness, knowing exactly where he was going and never faltering once. Even with his lanky frame and long arms and legs, he never jostled anyone more so then a normal sized person would and he never trod on their feet of carts. Souzou found it hard to mimic this action, he himself having to toss hurried apologies over his shoulder as he dashed to keep up with his pupil, running into even more as he apologized to the others. Shaking his head and sending his dark bangs flying, he smiled apologetically at those he bumped or trod and continued on.

Sano turned sharply down a side street, this one smaller and less crowded, and Souzou followed, once again right on his heels. This time he found it easier to avoid the people and their speed increased. Sano turned a few more times, his feet flying and slowed slightly to jog down a quiet road lined with small houses. A dog barked somewhere along the road and a gaggle of children ran across the street in front of them, playing some loud, noisy game and hitting each other with cattails. Souzou smiled as he dodged around them. He loved children. Sano, glancing back, saw that look and remembered it well. He had often seen that look, painting his idol's face and lighting up his eyes, whenever he looked at him and Katsu.

Finally slowing to a walk, he ambled up to the door of a house that looked just like every other one lining the unpaved road. But the moment Souzou drew near, he sensed something about it; somehow he knew that this was where they would find the other remaining member of the Sekihoutai. Even if he hadn't known in advance that this was where Katsu resided, he would have known the moment he came within five feet of the house. There was just something about it, some aura issuing forth from it that screamed of his other lost pupil.

Sano flicked his bangs out of his chocolate brown eyes and glanced over at Souzou, grinning his trademark grin proudly. Souzou smiled back anxiously, wanting only at that moment to see Katsu again. His life was slowly coming back together, slowly being rebuilt from the shattered dream it had become ten years ago. His body trembled slightly and he tried his best to calm his pounding heart. The moment Katsu showed up, it would solidify his hopes of rebuilding the Sekihoutai. Until then, they were nothing more then a shimmering mirage. For even though he knew Katsu was alive and well, his mind was still wary and would only believe what it saw for itself. He had learned wariness over the past years and it had served him well until now. Now when he really needed trust, it deserted him, he would have to learn all over again. But he was ready to start as long as he had his two former pupils by his side.

So relaxing and standing still, he stared at the door as if his gaze could somehow pierce through and see the man inside. Sano knocked excitedly and then stepped back, tapping his foot impatiently. When they got no answer he growled low and knocked again, this time louder and harsher. "Where is he?" he grumbled under his breath.

"What? What is it? I'm coming!" came an annoyed voice from somewhere within the depths of the house. Souzou knew that this was it, the moment when all his dreams would be made solid, the moment when his future and that of the two young men would be secured. He smiled a small smile in spite of himself and continued to watch the door for the first sign that it was being opened.

A soft swishing sound and the annoyed voice both accompanied the opening of the door. "I said, what do you…" The young man standing before Sano and Souzou trailed off, his blue green eyes widening. Souzou stepped forward half a step and said quietly, "Hello Katsu."

Katsu took a step back and opened his mouth as if to say something, but no words came out. Sano laughed at his friend's obvious speech impairment and stepped inside his house. Souzou followed right behind.

"Master Sagara?" Katsu finally managed to breathe out. "You can't…I mean…you were, well aren't now but…how can you…are you really…" he stuttered. Souzou's grin widened. "You're dead!" the long-haired man finally managed to exclaim. "You're dead!"