Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ What Went Before ❯ Start Here ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- Sorry to disappoint no one, but I don't own RuoKen . . .

Welcome, everyone, to What Went Before's Prologue, it will be short, it will be an AU fic, and it will not make sense. Read on!

*

What Went Before

Prologue

When most people think of America, they think of one thing. Freedom. Who would not want to live in a country with out such an appealing gesture? Life, liberty, and justice rang freely on military ads, sucking in gullible viewers. Uncle Sam let people choose which job, what education, what kind of legal drug they could consume during the day. A person could stroll down the avenue with an inverted cross, protesting the said religion. A woman could wear a dress three inches too short --or for that fact, a man could do the same. Bystanders on the street could just look the other way when something did not allure to their standards, walking away from worry. Anybody could get away with anything as long as they were not caught. This, was America's freedom.

What went before in someone's lives was not a necessary fact to be known. It appealed to many. Many not from the country originally, or from some that did. An inspection of the past was not needed for a ticket to a new home. Just a legal case of citizenship, that was all, which the country made terribly easy in some cases to attain. Then again, it was all too trivial to just slide in unnoticed with out acquiring anything legally. Everything was too easy in such a country, too simple. Just don't reveal too much, and safety in the clause will come.

When people first step of a plane, and arrive in a new country, these ideas swarm through their heads. For some, it was something they were brought up with, drilled into their mind from birth, and they would keep walking forward to meet their loved ones on the other side of security. The only thought left was to go home, rest, and not think. Period. For the others, it was a new idea, a new place, new things, new laws, new everything. But it was new, and they now belonged to it. After they got past the gate, they did not have a place to go to, they could not think of 'nothing', they had to think of everything. How to start, how to live again.

Of course, people kept this to themselves; they did not want other people around them wondering what the worried look on their face was for, why they were scarred. They did not want anyone to think about them at all. They just wanted to blend in, and be done with it --forget about the past, forget about everything. That's the reason they moved from it in the first place.

So, the women with the short threads would plaster a fake smile on her face. She did not have to let anyone know that she was borrowing the insufficient attire, didn't have to let anyone know that she did not normally dress that way. The reason being how her first skirt, of a more respectable length, ripped on the door before she left that day. How her less than well-mannered cousin dug out the sleaziest dress she could find for her to wear as a cruel joke. No one had to know anything.

The man beside her, wearing the unorthodox cross, would just return her fake smile with his own. She had no right to ask why he wore such an odd thing. Why his counter smile to her glance was also untrue, why it was feign. So, the unplanned lock of the eyes was just left at that, and they would be on their way.

She would tighten her ponytail, pull the dress down, and leave like nothing in the world bothered her. He would give her a second glimpse when she retreated, thinking he saw another one of the country's beauties, and be on his own gestures soon enough.

But wouldn't it be ironic if their first glance was not their last, and later that day they met again?

Questions would arise, but then again,

What went before was not necessary to be known.

*

To Be Continued…

*

Author's Notes- To tell you the truth, I've always hated AU fics, I use to hate fan fiction all together. But as you can see that has all changed. The first couple of AU fics I read were horrible, I mean awful (not that I'm saying I can write worth a crap), so that's why I loathed them. Then I read a few in the past month that changed my mind, and I couldn't get enough of them. So, I have been itching to write my own, and here is the start. Very short and sweet, well, not sugar sweet but you get the gist. I understand nothing is clear, and you don't know what's going on, but that's why prologues are lame and short. So, in the next chapter everything will be introduced and hopefully tied into the prologue. Well, some of it, anyway.

I hope you continue on, even after you hated these first few paragraphs, but I promise I'll introduce a story to you soon. Thanks, and let me know what you think!