Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ What Went Before ❯ Back To Black ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer-

Kenshin: *nudges Sano* Go ahead, tell them.

Sano: *cough* I lost a bet, so uh, we were sold to Sony, so . . .

Kenshin: *rolls eyes* So Neko Oni-dono doesn't own us.

Neko Oni: Drat!

*

Yo! Welcome to Chapter three. The majority of the story is going to be rated PG-13, but sometimes it might be a little more on the `R' side. So if that happens I will warn you. Read on!

Warning- Not much unless you're afraid of college students with booze. *Shrug* It's a common thing in this country.

*

What Went Before

Chapter III- Back To Black

Running from a past life had been a constant game. Maybe not running, but definitely trying to leave it behind. Through the years taking many different identities, after a while forgetting them all, there were too many to count. Residency never lasted more than six months, a couple weeks to the least. Along the way learning different trades, skills, languages, anything to blend into society and leave no doubts behind. Home seemed to be running out of places to hide, getting smaller by the years. America, the States as someone called it, was big and inviting. The perfect place to start anew, no questions asked after a student visa was attained.

Kenshin, or as he had been going by `Ken' for the past year, had everything planned out. Ken was not really a new identity, it was just a nickname passed around he grew on. When he told people that name they just assumed him to have European blood in him, who was he to protest. Months of language classes solved the problem about his accent. Surface people could not tell otherwise, he was just playing a game.

Living with college students would be easy, and when he saw the name Sanosuke under the listings, it was the perfect chance. Felt like he would be a little closer to home, that being around some native blood. Maybe they were born there, maybe they were not. It was just comforting. Sano seemed trust worthy when they first met, he introduced himself as a guy who was going to tell him things out right, and was not going to take any crap. Those were his exact words if he remembered correctly. Despite the little incident of the power being turned off for a couple of days, the tall brown haired guy and him were probably going to get along all right. For how ever long that may be.

His neighbor that lived next door with the adjoined room seemed like a hand full. He was so tired the night before he did not feel like waiting for her to calm down and explain himself to her. She found out eventually, a little nosey but she was not a brat like he thought she was going to be. Her feisty attitude he could handle.

It surprised him when the people at home got in contact with him-- but then again, that was their job to know where he was at all times. This time it was quick, America's security was unguarded, but it was a big country. It would take time to be found by someone who was not supposed to. He could take it easy for a couple of months.

"This is Himura."

"Everything going properly?"

"Hai."

"You know how to get a hold of me."

"Hai."

With a click of a button both parties hung up the phone, Kenshin turned to his puzzled new roommates. He knew they were going to have some questions for him after learning his real name. It was definitely not an American one. Bringing his skateboard with him, Kenshin clipped across the room and sat at the bar next to Kaoru.

Sanosuke force-fed the rest of the burger into his mouth before he decided to talk around it. "So, you're not a `Ken', you're a `Kenshin'?

Kenshin snorted, that was an odd way to put it. "Yes."

Kaoru turned in her seat to look at Kenshin; he was not going to elaborate unless they asked more questions it seemed. "And you're from Japan, a native?"

"Yes."

Kaoru felt like she was dentist trying to pull teeth. "Oh. You don't look like it."

Kenshin could not help but smirk, it was an all too familiar statement he had heard many times before. Who was he to argue about heritage when he did not know the answer himself. "That's what people tell me."

Reverting back to the twenty-question game --while Sano listened-- she decided to try again. "How old are you, if you don't mind me asking."

Fingering the bandage on his cheek, he had to remember what was on his manufactured I.D. before he carefully answered her question. "Twenty-one."

Sanosuke stirred. "Great! We got a legal. You're coming with me later."

Kenshin just shot Sano a quizzical look before Kaoru decided to ask the question for him. "Where is he going with you?"

"To the beverage store `course. I almost got caught last time with my fake card."

She groaned at Sano. That was all he needed to do, get caught trying to buy alcohol and get kicked out of the country. He was only nineteen. "But what if he doesn't want to help you commit a crime?"

Sano wrapped his arm around Kenshin's neck and shuck him a few times. "He won't mind. Right roomy?"

He was a little off taken by the sudden contact of Sanosuke. The man had a strong grip and he made a mental note for later not to get in a fistfight with him. But it seemed they believed the lie he sprouted about his age. "Sure."

"See Jou-chan, now go pretty yourself up for tonight." Sanosuke smiled in triumph while Kaoru glared at him for the last comment. "Your gonna find a new boyfriend tonight."

The glare turned into a promise of death. "What ever. Your friends are slimy. I'll go get ready."

Kaoru got out of the seat and made way to her room while she shot Sano another hated look. Kenshin questioning would have to continue later.

Getting a new boyfriend was probably not a bad idea on Sano's part. She never brought Jason over to the apartment when Sanosuke was home. They just did not get along. She would never admit it to any of them, but she liked Sano better. Her relationship with him was more important out of the two. They never were in love, it was more of a way to distract themselves from school studies, Jason and her had no future together.

The only problem with finding a new guy tonight was the lack of good men among the people she knew. Most of Sano's friends she got along with, some were even considered her friends. It was just most of them were not material for a date, or they were just down right dogs. Unless someone new came along tonight there was no hope. But who needed a guy anyway, single life worked for her in the past.

Then she remembered she was not officially single and would have to make a call to him tomorrow, after she woke up from the hangover she knew she was going to get tonight. Kaoru liked to party when she could, and it was vacation after all. Being friends with Sano just encouraged such actions.

*

Sanosuke liked Kenshin from the start, and him being the legal age helped more. He thought it a little odd that he was older, guessing him before to be more around Kaoru's age, seventeen. The guy did have a little girly side to him. Not in mannerisms at all, but definitely in the face, he was a pretty boy. Which probably made him look younger. Nonetheless, besides him being on the quiet side, he was going to be okay to have around.

"What part you from?"

"Kyoto."

"Jou-chan and I went there a few times for the Sakura tree charades, the Geisha were nice."

"Never did that."

As they made small talk Kenshin impassively stared out the window as the palm trees flew by. They were driving back from the liquor store after stoking up. The trunk was full of Beer, Mike's Hard Lemonade for Kaoru and the `hard stuff' --as Sanosuke put it-- for the brave ones. Kenshin idly wondered who the brave ones were. It took him a good five shots of anything before he felt it. Then he remembered they were just college kids learning how to drink. He was a little surprised though, that Kaoru already had a favorite beverage, she was really young. Sanosuke told Kenshin she had a hard life and left it at that.

"Yeah, well some of the guys coming over tonight can be real jerks. So if they are, just tell them to shut the hell up."

"I will."

Sano smirked. He also learned Kenshin was not the type to take heat. He was a little guy and Sano wondered if he could back up his promises. Maybe time would tell he guessed.

*

Kaoru busied herself with getting ready for the night. It was just friends so she opted for something casual, what she had on before was already good enough, but playing dress up was fun sometimes too. The dress she picked out was a tube top, black with little red cherries printed on it. Cherries and stars were her favorite things. It came down mid thigh, simple enough to wear to the mall, but better for night occasions. She brushed her hair out, leaving it down. Applied dark makeup to her eyes but not to done up so she looked gaudy. An approval look in the mirror and she decided she was ready.

The feeling of impending doom settled over Kaoru when she walked out into the rest of the apartment and the door was knocked upon more than necessary. Her stomach twisted, and she almost wondered if she should have dived for Sanosuke's apart when she saw the doorknob twist. It was the people above sending her a warning that she was going to suffer this evening if she did not think fast.

Instead of the `run, hide, call the army' scenario she resorted for `face the facts', and caught the door, opening it slowly.

"Misao-chan, would you please return my house key to me before you leave this time." It was made to sound like a growl. In the doorway stood a giddy girl with green eyes and a long brown braid to her waist. Trouble on two feet entered.

"Ahh, lighten up Kaoru. Welcome back." Misao did not give her a second to scatter as she jumped up and crushed the dear life giving air out of Kaoru. "I know you missed me."

"Missing you is one of the things that I did not. Anyway make yourself at home. Like usual. Sano will be back any minute." After revitalizing her lungs Kaoru walked over to her pantry and dug out anything she could fine as snack materials for the evening. Fritos, animal crackers and Orange pop coming right up.

"Did Sano ever find a roommate?" Misao was already into the animal crackers before Kaoru could even pour them into a presentable bowl.

"Yep."

She popped a few edible animals into her mouth. "Boy or Girl?"

Kaoru giggled at her previous mistake of identifying his sex. Twice. "Guy."

"What's he like?"

The temptation to say a few nice things came up. Not in the sugar, spice and everything nice sense though. "Different."

"Hmm . . . eye candy?" Misao was already jealous of her having a beautiful neighbor, but two would mean more frequent visits.

Kaoru thought for a moment, maybe `different' was not such a bad description after all. His looks fit it perfectly. "Maybe, you'll see."

*

Meanwhile, as Sano walked up the stairs to the apartment his stomach also gave a twist when he saw a familiar red Civic. A warning for his new friend was in order.

"Ken, when I open the door there will be a scary little girl inside. But telling her to shut the hell up won't work. So just smile, nod and try to hide, `kay?"

Kenshin gave Sano a weird look. That person must be something if he willing gave details before they met. Sure enough when Sano opened the door they were both plummeted with hugs and kisses. After half an hour of being around her, Kenshin figured out a plan to defeat the Misao problem. It was exactly like Sano said: Smile, nod, and try to hide. Both of them faltered when it came to the smiling bit but the rest worked smoothly.

Around ten and there after, college students started filling Kaoru's small apartment. Sano's was still with out electricity so she had no choice. Twenty or more screaming kids were there by midnight. Sano promised just some buds but word got around like usual. Luckily most were people they knew so the apartment was left in one piece and nothing got out of hand. By ten fifteen, Sano was on his first buzz. Kaoru worked on her Mike's Hard Lemonades. Misao snaked around the apartment looking for potential dates. Kenshin sat in the corner people watching. Music pumping, drinks slamming. College life never changed.

"Kaoorrruuuu!"

She almost coughed up her drink when her name was called. She had found her again. The friends chatting with her decided it was a good time to scoot it. Leaving her alone. "Misao, your only sixteen. Go home and be a normal high school student."

Misao snorted, like that was ever going to happen. Kaoru might have a wild streak in her, but Misao lived to get in trouble, and hanging out with Sano was a prefect setup. "Please, you should know better."

Kaoru nodded. "Hn."

"Your only a year older than myself, don't mother me." Kaoru glanced at Sano for help but he spotted the short girl and mingled farther in the crowd grabbing a beer. Misao pointed a finger at her and continued. "You need a guardian, look at you two, always throwing parties."

Kaoru scowled, her advice was not appreciated. "Are new roommate is old enough to be our guardian, so there. I've got it covered."

Misao spotted Kenshin on the sofa. "You said that guy came from home? That red hair is not natural."

"Yeah, well, I never got to the question about the authenticity of his hair colour."

She fingered the strap of her tank top. "You've managed to place yourself next to another beautiful guy."

Kaoru rolled her eyes. "Sano's a child hood friend--"

"Just keep telling yourself that." Misao interrupted with an amused smirk on her face.

"--And Ken is a temporary neighbor during school." Kaoru continued, deciding to ignore the last comment. "Anyway, why do you always call guys beautiful? They're not girls."

"Please Kaoru," She tore her eyes off of Kenshin and returned them to Kaoru. "It's because the men around you are. I've only seen a few I would consider in that league. And that my friend, is your child hood sweet heart, temporary neighbor and a man back at home."

"Are you referring to that guy you always talk about?" Always talking about him was an understatement when Misao was concerned. Kaoru wondered when a reference to him was going to come up that evening. It was not complete with out it.

"Yep! I swear your going to have to meet him some day." The music track in the background shuffled and started with a new pop punk song that reminded Kaoru of the bubbly girl in front of her. Misao held up two small glasses. "Anyway I challenge you to a war of shots. Let's see who can handle more."

"Ken is calling me."

"Huh?"

"He just called me. Maybe later." Kaoru knew how to play the Misao game too. She jumped up from her seat and made a beeline to the unsuspecting Kenshin. He, was her hiding place. When she walked close enough to get a good look at him, he was sitting there unreadable as ever. It made her crazy wondering if the man ever showed any emotion, did anything but look blank. At least he was not Misao.

"Bored?" Kenshin looked up at a hopeful Kaoru who was taking a seat next to him on the sofa.

"Maybe."

Back to mister one word himself. "Why?" And it was catching on.

A shrug. Kaoru rolled her eyes, he was making civil conversation difficult. Again. She eyed what he was drinking and raised an eyebrow. In front of him stood a three fourth full bottle of Jack Daniels and an empty shot glass.

Kaoru pointed to the bottle. "Your favorite?"

Another shrug. "Just a simple kind of guy I guess."

"Do you mind?"

Kenshin turned his head to see what she was implying. He got the point when she held up an empty bottle of her own stuff. Instead of being the gentleman like he was meant to be, he poured some of his own drink and handed it to her. "Here."

"Simple kind of guy, huh?" She took the drink from his hand and gave it a funny look. "Too simple enough to try and talk to me?"

Kenshin inwardly sighed. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know." She flicked her tongue out to taste the offered liquid substance. Not really knowing the meaning of the question herself. "You just seem kind of like a brick, not willing to do much of anything. Like carry on a conversation with me."

"Maybe I'm just boring." Fed up with Kaoru just sniffing around the drink he placed two fingers on the end of her glass and tipped it when she went for another taste. Causing almost all of it to land in her mouth. "This is me, so get use to it"

Kaoru wiped her mouth of excess drizzle, giggling at her roommates unexpected action. Yeah, maybe she was a little buzzed. "No its not, I just think your hiding."

Kaoru handed the little glass back to Kenshin. While he was occupied refilling the shot, Kaoru reached her hand to his thigh and gave it a quick pinch. Leaning back, Kenshin slid his eyes over to her mass in the dark. "What was that for?"

She lifted the offered glass back to her lips, "Just trying to get a reaction out of you, Mr. Brick."

Kenshin repeated the process of tilting the drink into her mouth again. He could play too.

*

Fifteen minutes later and the bottle half-full, Kaoru was dizzy and not remembering things. She administrated numerous pinches to Kenshin, trying to get a response. Every time he just sat there and took it, giving her a few odd looks. The world shut down ten minutes after that.

"Ken?" Kaoru vaguely remembered she was sitting next to him, but managed to catch sight of his necklace. "Why do you wear that cross?"

"It was a gift." He discreetly tucked it back inside his shirt when she leaned in for a better look. It looked like he succeeded in getting a minor drunk as he eyed her wobbling. "Let's get you something normal to drink."

Kaoru took his offered hand and she was led over to the bar while he rummaged through the fridge for some bottled water. Maybe he gave her more than he was intending to do but she seemed to be holding it pretty well. Then he reminded himself she had probably downed a few Lemonades before she got to him, so he wondered when she was going to collapse.

As if someone was reading his mind Kaoru fell onto his side when he turned around. A punk college kid thought it was funny to push Kaoru as she was teetering back and forth. It must have been one of the jerks Sano warned him about earlier. Kenshin steadied Kaoru, giving the blue haired kid an evil glare as he proceeded to lead her over to the sofa again.

When he finally managed to set her down, Kaoru was not ready to let her hold on him go yet, but Kenshin being a patient man, did not protest. He did not know the girl well enough to try and tear her grip off, just to have her scream bloody murder.

"Ken?"

He turned his head as she called his name. Whiskey shot in hand. "Hmm?"

"Is it okay if I call you Ken, or should I be calling you Himura-san?"

That was an odd question, she had been calling him by his first name the whole night. Then again, she had been asking lots of weird things in the last half-hour. "Ken is fine."

"Okay, but you have to call me Kaoru-sama."

Well, she was a weird one, was she not? "I might as well call you Kaoru-dono will I'm at it."

"Okay." The world was fuzzy, warm and everything was okay with her. She was bouncing up in down in her seat with the loud music as Kenshin tried to settle the spilling shot. She reached her free hand to his thigh again, this time twisting. "How about that time?"

Kenshin lifted the bottle, "Nope."

"You know what Ken?"

He poured more Jack into his glass, replacing what spilled. "Nope."

"I think I know how to get a jump out of you?"

Kenshin raised an eyebrow wondering what in the world the cute vibrating teenager change in strategies was going to be. "How so?"

She thought about it, and after the alcohol entered her brain and took over, her solution was pretty easy, considering it worked on most men. "I'll show you."

Kenshin was slightly taken off guard when Kaoru pushed his hand away, as he was about to down the looking-better-by-the-minute drink. Babysitting teenagers were not his idea of fun, on top of that, getting pinched every two minutes. Her fingers went for his face, pulling him down to her level. He gave her a questioning look as she started to aim for the general region of his mouth with her own.

He reminded himself to never get a young girl plastered again. Why did drunken women always seem to think physical contact was better than cake? At least it was she and not their friend. What was her name, oh yeah, Misao.

Kaoru was all but in his lap before she started giggling. Music and dark images blended together. "See, I knew you had some emotion in you."

He thought any `jump' attack had been successfully avoid of any emotion, coming from him anyway. He reached forward with Kaoru weighing on top, seizing the opportunity for a drink finally. It was the best one the whole night, downing it in one tilt.

"That was a pretty lame try." Now just to get her off with out her throwing an alcohol induced tantrum. Drunk people can be scary, and she definitely had too much.

Kaoru pressed up closer to Kenshin, encircling her arms around him and then, as if it was a dream, her world faded away.

Kenshin sighed. "Wonderful."

*

Kaoru's mind was dreaming again that night about warm sensations surrounding her, leaning toward them. Hands sliding to her back, fingers drawing imaginary lines. Falling forward, holding onto the touch, not wanting to let go. Feather light whispers on her lips, feathers tickling the side of her face. Pressing harder but taking it ever so slowly, a rough brush of material smoothing up her thigh. Everything dimming out slowly, music lowering. The hot feeling in her system going away, leaving her tingling. Warm puffs on her neck turning cold, the pressure enveloping her going flat.

Everything went back to black.

A goal that night had been carried out. But for the life of her she could not remember what it had been.

Her head was aching when she tried to think, keeping her eyes closed because it would be too painful to open them. Feeling finally seeped back into her nerves, just making her head hurt more. She was awake whether she liked it or not.

Her eyes did snap open when she felt something pressed against her back that was warm. In a loose hold, there was an arm slung around her waist. Breathing other than hers could be heard, every once in a while a murmur came from their sleep. She was in her room, on top of her bed, but it was still dark. No loud punk music was in the background, it was early morning hours, close to daybreak; the party must have been long over.

She liked to flirt, but not go rushing into things, even if they were just lying down with her. So who was in the bed with her? She did not remember allowing someone to sleep with her willingly. Actually, she did not remember much from the night.

When her eyes scanned they met up with blue ones. Or were they a different colour? She was seeing the wrong colours, and decided her mind was still clouded. Blinking a couple of times did nothing to clear her eyesight; they still stayed on the odd side.

"He stayed with you all night."

Kenshin sat across from her in a chair at the desk. He spoke in a low whisper, making her almost miss that he had even spoken. It seemed like he never spoke to loudly, just enough for the listener to pick up.

That thought aside, who was in her bed? Kaoru swallowed hard for fear of consequences, only to be relieved when she picked up familiar brown spiked hair. The one behind her was Sanosuke, probably out cold for a while.

"After you passed out, he was afraid of the guys eyeing you all night getting their hands on you."

Sano always tried to protect her. It was a comforting thought. She did notice the unnerving stares from some of his gross friends but honestly thought nothing of it. She returned her eyes to the chair, away from Sano.

"Oh. Why are you here then?"

"Hiding."

That was an unexpected statement. "Umm . . . why?"

"A few of the guys drank to much and were starting to think I was a girl. Some are still passed out inside." A faint smile crossed his lips as if it was an all to familiar scenario. Repressing her giggles, Kaoru decided on not say anything because she had just done the same the night before. In the dark-- with that long hair --it was an innocent mistake.

Kenshin smiled because they were lucky, if they had tried for anything they would have been missing a few teeth. So keeping his hands to himself he camped out with his roommates. He corrected his features and continued. "Anyway, I don't have a bed yet."

"Oh. Is that why the idiot put you in my room?" He shrugged. All he knew a shopping trip was in order for a mattress set.

"Want some aspirin?" Kaoru nodded her head slowly to save it from the least amount of pain.

Kaoru ran down through a mental checklist as Kenshin started for the door: She drank too much and passed out. Sano watched her back like usual, crashing on her bed. Himura stayed in her room again because he did not have a bed, also because people thought he was female. Everything had been a dream last night. She had not gotten brave and acted to boldly.

Doubt still resided, though. Maybe, just maybe he would know.

"Himura-san?"

He stopped shy of the door and turned around to address her. "Yes?"

"I didn't do anything too stupid last night did I?"

Kenshin smirked. "Stupid? Don't know what you're talking about Kaoru-dono."

"Okay . . ."

Fear flew out the window, replaced with relief. It was a good feeling. Nothing happened, and last night was fun from what she could remember. Sano protected her from evil and her new roommate was even nice enough to get something for her killer headache.

`Wait a minute, Kaoru-dono?'

Kaoru blinked. That was a pet name she heard in her dream.

Maybe the dream was reality after all, or maybe it was just a nightmare.

*

To be continued . . .

*

Next Chapter- So, Dream or reality? More about Kenshin's charades, and um, cool rides!

Author's Notes- Kaoru's based slightly off me, like my favorite things, dress style, and such. It makes characters details easier to write. So not all teenagers at seventeen get plastered like her, but I did (Oops). And I know a lot of other girls like her (*music in background* Girls just wanna have fu-un, oh . . .). So it's realistic and that's how I'd like to keep this story for the most part. No nifty vampires or dog demons in this fic, sorry.

Kenshin is just a very patient man in this story. Not all smiley polite, but it will take a while for him to get mad enough to rip hair out. That's all. And Sano Just likes fun. Misao is annoying (For this story, I don't mean to offend any weasel fans). So, in brief, don't expect the characters to be like they were in the anime or manga. Just a little warning so no one tears my head off for doing horrible things to the characters in future chapters. But it's so fun! *Cracks knuckles* I'm just getting started people!

Okay, Now that I've offended half of my readers, I beg of you to read the next chapter. *Grovel* It's already written --will be out soon!

Thank you for reading. Drop me a review, good or bad. I can take it.

*

Review People-

*Jumps up and down* Yeah! I got a lot more reviews than expected for the last chapter, thank you!

Amorith Lilac- Hmm, what a different name you have, kinda cool. Anyway, glad your interested, thanx for the review!

Queen of Shadows- Oh, what the heck. *Gives you a whole cookie* You read and reviewed another chapter, so that's high up on the list for me. Yeah, Sano is a baka, but he's just so darn funny to write about. Thanx!

MysticPrincessMoonlight- *Waves Hi* Here's another chappie for ya'. Thank you for your thoughts.

Incoherence- Yeah, when I see red heads I think punk skater, or you know, Kenshin. So that's what I envision him being, some sort of punk looking kid in bagging clothes. Or all suited up (wait for future chapters for that dress) Thanx for R&R!

Fitz- Hope the bed thing gets straightened out in this chapter for you. I wrote Chap 3-5 at the same time, so they just kind of blended together. Thank you for the Review! *Snicker* Kenshin at a psychiatrist's office. That's the truth, ain't it?

Kenshin: *grumble grumble* Nobody understands me . . .

Garasu- I wrote a few paragraphs in response to your great review but for some dumb reason the email just gets sent back undelivered. That's what I get for using Hotmail. I'm not living at home right now, so I don't have access to a real email address. I'll try again. But if you never get it, I'd like to thank you, and it was really appreciated. Thanx!

Flame amber- Well, I had already loaded up to chapter eight on FF.net by the time I got around to loading the chapters onto MM.org. So, as far as the swordsman thing, well, maybe there will be a couple of hints in these next chapters. But other than that, I'm not gonna tell you anything. It'd ruin the fun. ^^ Glad you like it, though. Thank you for the review again!

*

Thanx!