Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ What Went Before ❯ The Becoming ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- I own every single RuoKen action figure. (Not just RK, people. I have a vast collection of figures. It's huge. Obsessive, yes.) It's the closest I can come to owning Kenshin, meaning in 1/6 scale. But I don't actually own the 5' 2" version of him. *Snicker* Ken is really short.

Kenshin: *Sigh* Sessha is really tired of the short jokes, Oni-dono.

Sano: But that wasn't a joke. She was just pointing out the truth. *Grin*

Kenshin: *Death glare, a.k.a. Battousai Eyes* Sessha hates you.

*

Author's Notes- Forgive me, for I have sinned. This chapter was actually ready before I left for the fourth of July, but *cringe* I forgot to post it before I left… Yes, hate me if you want. I can take the rebuke. So, that little thing I mentioned about updates, yeah, disregard it because I've had some stupid things come up and I don't want to be making any dumb promises… I'm sorry… *Runs Away*

Here is a little section to help you with the character details, or lack there of… I have kept the characters past a secret, so that's why you're all guessing, and I'm going to keep it that way for a while… *Evil laughter*

Himura Kenshin

Age- 21 --according to his fake ID. Real age unknown

Occupation- Unknown

Nick Names- Ken, Red, Roomy, Mr. Brick (More to come)

History- Unknown. Hints to underground associations.

Kamiya Kaoru

Age- 17

Occupation- Student at UCF --University of Central Florida

Nick Names- Jou-chan (More to come)

History- Father was Japanese, mother was American --both are deceased. Moved to America two years prior to get away from Japan, and events that took place. Brought Sano along for the move, and only visits home once a year. Her family pays for expenses, as well as most of Sano's funds. Her relationship with Sano can be described as very close.

Sagara Sanosuke

Age- 19

Occupation- Part time student at UCF, Gambler, and takes odd jobs.

Nick Names- Sandy-baby (More to come)

History- Quiet, strong family life in early years. Left family to join local movement --almost lost his life in organization's downfall. Kamiya family helped him recover, only to have him get involved with the Yakuza, and similar activities. Around the time Kaoru's life took a turn, he realized he needed to clean up his act, and moved to the States with her. Very over protective of Kaoru.

Megumi, Misao, Kats, and Kammy are only minor characters. Their information is not vital for the story --which may change in the future, though. Less than half of the characters I have chosen to be involved with the plot have been revealed. Some future characters will be a strong presence in the story, others will not. Expect the expected, and not so expected. And yes, that could be considered as `spoiler' information. Sorta.

*

Chapter Contents- This chapters annoying word will be `change', expect it to come up a lot. Swimming pools, a Misao presence, a slight, itty-bitty confrontation, and a phone call. Enjoy!

*

What Went Before

Chapter VI- The Becoming

Change means different.

And different can either be prodigiously good, or destructively bad.

But sometimes if luck is laced in the thread of being, it can remain at a comparable level of security.

This change was a common thing in life, it was a rotating cycle that had lasted for years, and had no resemblance of stopping the course any time soon. It was always a different house, apartment, condo, flat, penthouse, and what ever else they were called. It was a different car, attire, background, name, or mission. One month he would be wearing exorbitant slacks and silk shirts, the next he would be donned in baggy cargo pants and shirts with skate logos across the front, looking too inculpable for his own good. It would be a lush silver Lexus, then it would be a sporty tuxedo Vette, and on it went.

The mockery of it all came with these differences, as if they were laughing at his parody of life.

This time, change had come in the shape of a small, brown box, Asian lines scribbled on the white labels, conspicuous in itself, but cataclysmic all the same. For the past few days the box had remained untouched on top of Kenshin's desk, and there it would remain until he had the nerve to open it. He knew whom it was from, even if it had been sent in a fake name, the person never used their real name to begin with. Kenshin remembered the person muttering something about a long tradition, but never went beyond that explanation of identity. But now, even after breaking ties many lifetimes ago, the person was trying to make contact with him again and he did not know if it was a gift from above or something worse from below.

Either or, it meant change in his erratic life was going to happen soon after he opened that package, and it was not welcomed.

Boring at the idle box, Kenshin fingered his tiny, inverted silver cross, almost as if the action would answers his thoughts --but alas, it would not, never ever, no matter how many times he had tried before. Finally, angered with himself for wasting death glares on the object, he sighed and stalked out of his room, intent on another round of napping on Blue Eye's couch.

And so, the box lies dormant on the empty desk, in the empty room he has yet to sleep in, waiting for its time of change.

*

"Why are you always sleeping?"

An already irritated Ken cracked an eye open, casting a glance at the sable haired teen. There was always a question waiting for him when he woke from his fretful dozing, and he never really cared for the her wake up sessions, it only got more annoying ever time she did it. "Because I'm tired?" He guessed lamely.

"But you're always doing it." She almost pouted. "Every time I see you."

"And so?"

Now that Kaoru was more comfortable with her new roommate, she took the pleasure of using his stomach as a chair, and sat quite comfortably on a groaning Ken. He was being stubborn, and nerving again, so it seemed the logical thing to do at the time. "So, why do you always do it?"

"I assure you there's a reason --there's a reason for everything." Shifting the dead weight off of him, Ken sat up into semi right position with Kaoru rolling to the side. "And why did you wake me up this time?"

Kaoru humbly recovered from being cast off to the side --it was expected after all-- and leaned back against the sofa's arm. "Because we're going swimming."

Looking forward, Ken blinked a couple of times. "No we're not."

"Yes, we are."

"Uh, no."

"Yes."

"No."

"Ugh!" Shooting out a foot, Kaoru playfully kicked the stubborn man on the couch. "Please?"

"Not if you ask like that." Ken grabbed the assaulting foot, before another stab could be rendered. "Anyway, why me --what about Sano?"

"He's going swimming as soon as he gets home." Kaoru jabbed her captured leg a few times into his thigh. "But that won't be until later, and I want to go now."

"So go then."

"But I want someone to go with me," Kaoru whined, executing more kicks. "Besides, you've been rather boring for the past few days --you need to do something other than sleeping."

"I like sleeping." She shot him a mocking glare he could not refuse. Ken sighed, defeated. "Fine, but I don't have a swim suit."

"You can borrow a pair from Sano."

Ken let go of her leg and tugged at his green cargo shorts. "They'd fall right off of me."

Glancing at Ken's small waist, she noticed he did have a point. Both of her roommates were slim, but Ken was just a really small guy, beating Sano in the petite competition. "Maybe one of mine would fit you better."

"You're so kind." He summoned up another death glare, and unlike her early one, it was real. "How about a compromise?"

She blinked; he was willing to bargain? Odd, that. "Like what?"

"I'll go down and watch you swim." He got off the couch, looking over his shoulder, giving her a grin. "And if you're lucky, I might talk to you too."

Kaoru rolled her eyes, and stood. "Deal."

Ken had become a little more open, and friendly around herself and Sano, just a little, but she was happy he was turning out to be a nicer guy. He was still quiet, but he never passed a chance at sarcasm when it was in order. For some reason though, Ken had seem down, from what she could tell anyway. So, getting him moving was the perfect opportunity for her to get him out of the notch he seemed to have dropped into after the arrival of that small brown box.

She could try, anyway…

*

Kaoru had dressed in her bathing suit, pulling one of Sano's huge sized shirts over herself. Ken had just slipped on a pair of sandals, still dressed in his regular clothes, and carried a towel while they walked down to the pool.

He had almost forgotten there was a swimming pool located in their apartment complex, along with other facilities offered. There was a weight room, shuffleboard areas, tennis courts, a spa and other similar items littered around the grounds. It was definitely one of the better apartment complexes located in the Central Florida area, hinting at the fact that his roommates were not just average college kids.

But he already knew that before he had even met them.

Kaoru opened the gate to enter the swimming area, and dipped a little toe in the water when she reached the pools edge. "It's cold."

"Point?" Ken shrugged.

Kaoru took off Sano's shirt, revealing the cute, black two-piece suit covered in red cherry prints. "It's too cold to swim."

Did she not notice the oozing humidity, and glaring sun? Ken brushed back his hair. "But it's hot out."

Kaoru lowered another toe into the water, and wrinkled her nose at the frigid liquid. "Maybe I'll wait until Sano comes, after all"

"No you're not." Ken stalked over to her, flipping off his sandals. "Not after you woke me up for this."

Kaoru instinctively scrunched back. "What are you doing?"

He walked a little closer. "Making you swim."

"And how are you going to make me?"

"Throw you in."

Kaoru bolted.

Ken darted after her as she ran across the concrete, making her way around a patio chair, giving into chase. She stopped suddenly, and braced her hands on the inferior chair, thinking the object could keep him away. Instead, he lunged at her, only grabbing empty air when she ducked away from him, and stumbling a few steps from being off center. Straightening again, Ken turned, and smirked. She was a pretty quick little girl.

"Stop!" Kaoru yelled, but was still giggling as she inched back wards. "There's no running allowed in the pool area."

"So?" Ken took more steps, getting ready to thrust forward. "You ran first."

She started taking bigger steps backwards. "That's besides the--"

Ken grinned happily as a splashing sound bounced of the apartment's walls. Kaoru had walked herself back into the pool, and was now sputtering and flaring as she emerged from the water, quite clearly not as amused as the punk with long ponytail.

"You jerk!" Kaoru sputtered some more.

"Jerk?" Ken leaned over by the pool's edge, raising a simper eyebrow. "You fell in by yourself, Kaoru-dono."

"You're a dork then!" Kaoru splashed some water at the offending man, and smiled, feeling very satisfied.

Why that little…

Now dripping wet, Ken shook the water from his bangs, and glared at the little nymph in the blue water. "Was that necessary?"

"Yes." She shivered, but was still holding a grand smile. "I got you back."

Ken managed a small scowl, and turned on his heel, still shaking drops of liquid off of his person. For insurance purposes, Ken took the girl's towel and placed it on the diving board, where he laid face down, dangling his hands into the water.

Kaoru splashed over to the irritated man, flicking more water onto him in the process. "What are you doing?"

"What it looks like I'm doing." Kaoru made a gesture to splash more unnecessary water onto him, so he held his hands up in warning. "Hey! You'll get your towel wet if you do that to me again."

Kaoru pouted, and swam closer. Reaching a hand above the water, she tugged on his red bangs. Ken frowned, deeply disapproving. "Why are you always so mean?"

Catching her wrist, he reached out forward for the other, effectively hanging her from his hold and distracting her from the hair pulling game. "I'm not always mean."

"Could have fooled me." Kaoru snorted, trying to wretch herself free from his grip, but instead the man lifted her up and down a few times as if using her likes weights. She blinked, and suddenly forgot she was a hostage. "Hey, you're pretty strong."

Ken shrugged, dunking her a few more times. "You're not heavy."

"You probably could have beaten up those guys from the tattoo parlor the other night." Her response was another small shrug from him, followed by more repeat dipping. Kaoru giggled, and beamed up at the man. "You should try and see if you could lift Sano when Misao-chan brings him over."

And that is when Kaoru plunged back into the water, Ken instantly dropping her from the mention of that name.

Quickly, Kaoru gushed out of the water from the sudden drop; sputtering and coughing from the water that seeped up her nose and mouth. "Why in the heck did you do that?!"

"Sorry." Folding his hands underneath his chin, Ken looked down and offered her a tiny apologetic look, claiming innocence. "But that girl scares me."

"Wha?"

"The happy girl."

Kaoru blinked a few times, and then smiled, laughing softly like enlightened bells. "Misao-chan is a bit scary, isn't she?"

Kenshin smiled. He always did love the solace sound of bells. "Just a little…"

Maybe there was a reason to be not so nettle that day by the water.

*

Florida is known as two things: `The Sunshine State', and `The Lightning Capitol of the World'. There is only about a good month in the year that could be considered `winter' --climate wise, anyway. The rest of the year is eighty degrees and up as the hours rose in the day. This, of course, is what made perfect beach weather, and this is good, considering the fact that most of Florida is surrounded by water. With summer, came the afternoon thunderstorms, lightning very much included. It is almost a daily occurrence in the warmer months, and sometimes it did not always rain in the afternoon, night and morning were fair game, also.

And Ken decided he hated those things about Florida, especially central Florida because that is where it seemed to be hit hardest by those resentful facts.

Still lying on the diving board, Ken could feel the sun burn aching away at his skin. From his position, he could also see heat lighting in the distance, and he learned this usually meant a storm was on its way. Sano had arrived shortly after they went down to the pool, and it was now creeping up in the later hours of the night.

"For fuck sake, Misao!" Oh yeah, the Misao problem had arrived earlier with Sano, too. "Let go of me!"

Ken flipped to his stomach, and slightly grinned when Misao latched herself to Sano. Evidently, it was her poor attempt of trying to drown him because of some crude comment he made moments earlier. His new discovery of early was prominent as a clutching Misao climbed up Sano, the newly revealed tattoo on his back displayed clearly. It was an enormous kanji character inked across his shoulders in black, along with smaller details. Aku could be seen lucidly across the way, an inquisitive choice, Ken thought.

"No!" Misao wrung her arms around his shoulders, trying to push him down, and possibly attempt murder. "Not until you say you're sorry!"

"Like that's gonna happen." Kaoru idly stood in the water as Sano reached around for Misao, effectively throwing her into the deep end of the water like she was a pool float, or something similar in insignificant weight. "Hmm, I think I threw her farther than last time," Sano mused.

Ken stifled a chuckle, and turned onto his back again. The last couple of hours had consisted of watching them swim, and occasionally joining in the conversations between water wars. It was either the poolside interaction, or a date with the cable box, but Ken decided human alternation was good every once in a while.

That was until the dual chains attached to his pants were tugged upon. He just about groaned.

"Why aren't you swimming?" Misao smiled, oblivious to the dark look she was receiving. "Afraid your hair dye will turn funny colours because of the chemicals?"

One word came to Ken's mind. Annoying, absolutely annoying. "I don't dye my hair."

"Are you sure?" Misao's brows knotted like that was one of the most unbelievable things she had ever heard. But Ken just nodded, detaching her unwanted hands from his metal chains. "Whatever. I don't believe you."

Ken shrugged, plopping down to the side of the diving board, and sticking his feat into the cool water as he sat. "Think what you like."

"Actually, I will." Misao swam to the side, and peered up at the red haired guy. "So, have you had fun flirting with Kaoru all day?"

"I don't flirt." Kneeling back on his palms, Ken glared at the girl. It was true, he had tried to avoid the female species like the plague after certain occurrences in his past life, but sometimes, he just had no choice. Like his current living situation, or job. It was far from `flirting', as she had so nicely put it.

But…

Ken cocked his head to the side. Maybe he had been a little too friendly Blue Eyes that day. But did he not deserve a little fun every once in a while? Kaoru sure seemed to be trying hard to make that possible, and it was definitely better than sitting around waiting for important phone calls.

The girl below him sniggered, returning him back to the current unsatisfactory situation. "So, you just hit on innocent under age girls, or perhaps, you're just teasing?"

Oh, where was a rescue when a guy needed one? The devious child always seemed to find a way to ask the wrong questions. But since no one was playing hero, Ken decided to go along with her way of thinking, the type that aggravates people.

"Maybe."

Misao rose an eyebrow. Usually, people just sputtered or yelled when she asked such abstract questions, but the guy was possibly admitting the truth, and not trying to avoid the fact. Well, that was totally unexpected. "Seriously?"

Ken grinned. "What do you think?"

Wrong, he was so trying to avoid the truth. "I think you're doing a good job of not admitting you're new crush on Kaoru."

Obnoxious child. She was very far from the truth.

Ken tried for another glare, but I did not work. What was it with these Florida women being frighteningly unaffected by his patented scary looks?

"Ken!"

Yes, Kaoru voice really did sound like bells. They were the bells of freedom, chiming away for his escape from the annoying little girl.

Kaoru was calling for him on the other side of the pool, waving for him to come over. Ken shot up immediately, and left the other girl with no answer, heading towards his dubious savior. Sweet, sweet salvation.

She smiled when he approached, looking like a girl who swam all day in the pool, sopping wet, and burnt to a crisp. They were only in the sun for an hour before night fell, but that's all one needs to acquire the unwanted red look when the sun tan lotion was forgotten. "Will you come upstairs with me?"

Ken glanced at Misao who was attacking Sano, and shook his head, accepting. "Sure, but what about them?"

"Sano is going to stay down here for a bit." Kaoru reached for her towel to dry off, wrapping it around herself. "He says he wants to drown Misao-chan before he comes back up."

Flashing a quick smirk, Ken slipped on his sandals. "Maybe I should stay, and help."

*

"She lives with that Med. student?"

"Yeah, that's why Misao-chan is here. She gave Sano a ride because he was visiting Megumi."

Understanding why he was tormented with the Misao being's presence, Ken nodded as they rounded the corner, and headed up the steps to their apartments. "Are they related?"

"I'm not sure, Sano is closer to Megumi than I am. So, ask him." Kaoru shook her head, and giggled. "But I sure hope they're not related."

Ken nodded, once again. The end of the world was a very legitimate vision if those two ended up being related. They knew how to play the word game like pros --among their other uncanny abilities-- and that could easily help in their world domination when it came time.

Ken had a secret fear of women folk dictatorships. "I second that."

When they reached the top of the steps, Kaoru was about to retort with a witty, backstabbing friend comment, but hands sliding around her waist, stopping the words. It was a bit exhilarating at first, knowing Ken was the one doing the holding, but then he clutched her tight, making sure she would not move.

Kenshin spared her a glance, and reached a finger to his lips, gesturing silence. Kaoru seemed to understand Kenshin's message, and his eyes flicked back over to the boy's side apartment door. Before he saw it, he had felt it, but the door was cracked opened slightly, barley visible to the untrained.

But Kenshin was more then just trained, and he knew something was terribly off.

"What the hell…"

Sano's voice rose quietly behind them, sounding a little irate --Misao in speechless tow behind him. The situation they were in, Kenshin holding onto Kaoru, was probably not the best to be in when around an overly protective Sano. But Kenshin repeated the silencing action, and shifted Kaoru out of his arms into a fast approaching Sano, successfully confusing the taller boy.

"Stay here till I say so."

The teens exchange a few confused looks as Kenshin slowly walked to the door, briefly digging in his pocket on the right side. He with drew the item he was looking for, opening it with a quick snap of the wrist, and then he was inside the door.

"What the fuck is going on, Kaoru?" Sanosuke turned the girl in his arms to get an answer, but she only shook her head, confused as much as the other two. He scoffed at the strange event. "I'll give him two minutes."

Inside the dark apartment, Kenshin felt like punching a hole through the wall because of the situation they had put him in. How was he going to casually explain this to his roommates? It was not going to be a happy call next time he talked to his employers. It never was, but this was ridiculous. Kenshin shook his head bitterly, and slowly closed the door, silently creeping across the carpet.

He really hated his job sometimes, more than he usually did, anyway.

"What are you doing?" The sharp metal placed steadily at his throat made the man drop the object in his hands, freezing in further actions. Kenshin eyed the dropped item, and recognized it as the cursed box he had not opened yet.

So, they were checking up on him.

The man said nothing, and he pressed the blade closer. "Are you mute?"

The man abruptly shook his head, and pointed at the table, trying to blurt out a response. "D-delivering."

Delivering. Yeah, right. Kenshin snorted, and released the startled man --now identified as a colleague-- seeing the envelope on the table. "Did they send you?"

Relaxing when he saw the red head put the knife away, the man nodded, knowing better than to lie, he been told who he was dealing with.

"Wonderful." He racked a hand through his hair, and sighed. "Yeah, well, you better go out through the balcony. There's a man outside who'd kill you if you got close to the girl."

Kenshin was just guessing, of course, but he was pretty sure he knew what Sano would do if some suspicious guy dressed in black walked out the door after he had just startled them. He would probably hit the man cold before he had a chance to explain, thinking he was a robber or some creep.

Fully understanding, the other man nodded, and disappeared out the sliding glass window. Kenshin watched until he was gone, and shook his head again, completely irritated.

Bastards.

Giving the dropped box a slight kick, Kenshin stalked to his room, and kneeled in front of his small locker he had purchased to keep a few belongings safe. He unhooked a key from one of his chains, and opened the lock, pulling open the metal door. Hearing the door opening to the apartment, he quickly pulled out the intended item, and slid it between his waist and cargo shorts, pulling the shirt back into place.

Sano flicked on the light, and entered his room, expecting simple answers. "What the hell happened, Ken?"

"Nothing." Closing the locker's door, he got up and shrugged mildly. "It was a mistake."

"Mistake?" Sano rose an eyebrow, and then slowly smirked, leaning against his roommate's door. "Just don't scare the shit out of us next time. But what made you get all jumpy, anyway?"

"Like I said," Ken shrugged again, "It was a dumb mistake."

Folding his arms over his chest, Sano cooked his head to the side, quizzical like. "Right…"

Kenshin's cell phone rang, and he fished it out of his pocket grudgingly, fully aware of who was calling. On the screen, the initial `S' flashed across with an unlisted number in blue, confirming his guess of the caller. Walking out of the room, Kenshin glanced heedlessly at Sano before leaving, and taking the call. "You might want to go get the girls."

Sano had gotten his simple answers, but it did not mean he understood or cared for them. His roommate never elaborated on the details in life, and he was not the type to interrogate on flimsy notions, but this was just outlandish.

Whatever. Sano rubbed his prickly chin for a fleeting moment, and left to retrieve the girls.

*

"Can't you people `deliver' things like how you're suppose to?"

"We might have to now. Are `delivery' boy was scared shitless when he called in, he thought you were going to slit `em."

"It's not my fault you hired such bad help. What if one of my roommates walked in instead of me?"

"He wouldn't have gotten caught, you're just better than these American employees."

Kenshin snorted, angered by the recent event of the evening, and the lax responsibility. "And since when did delivering things require a need to spy on me, also?"

"That's part of the predicate." The person on the other line sighed into the receiver. "It's nothing personal, you know that."

"Please, it was more than that," He scoffed, leaning against the railing of the balcony.

"You're just lucky it was me that called this time." There was a deep, amused chuckle. "You're really pissed about this, aren't you?"

"Hai." Sighing softly, Kenshin massaged his temple, trying to repress the vexation coil. "I just thought I'd get a break this time before things started up again."

"We're not the ones who are starting it, otherwise you would have a break. After this, I'll talk to `em, and get you a big vacation --how's Hawaii sound, kid?"

"This place might as well be Hawaii, its just lacking volcanoes," Kenshin scowled. "And I'm not that much younger than you, Uncle."

The man on the other line chortled at his nickname, much to the other's nerve. "You forgot the sexy Hula dancers."

"That, and their grass skirts," He continued to try and rub away the oncoming tension, only proving it to be a futile attempt. "Anyway, why did you call?"

"Yes, that." His tone took on a more dry, serious nature. "In the envelope is information you need to read. Nothing major is happening right now, but the reports will help when the time comes . . . possibly."

How reassuring. "So, we're not sure when it's going to happen, then?"

"Right." He affirmed. "Or if it's going to happen."

"Dammit." Kenshin grounded his palm into his forehead harder, wanting desperately to spar with anyone to let out the frustrations. Not being able to do that was a major downside to moving to the States. "Is there anything else I need to know?"

"Luckily, no."

Luckily, he says. "Fine."

"I'll call you when I have new info, kid."

"Hai."

Kenshin clicked the phone shut, and slipped it into his back pocket, feeling like he had not gotten any points grounded, only to feed his malcontent.

Although, he was somewhat glad it had been him who had called, he was the only person Kenshin could talk to in such a manner, letting his slight emotions fly, maybe because they had known one another for many years since they worked together. The man was probably the closest he had to a friend, but it still aggravated Kenshin every time he insisted on calling him a `kid', along with the other names he had acquired over the years from associates. He figured it stemmed from the fact that he was a child when they first met, so he achieved the nickname `Uncle' in return, and rebuke.

Sighing as the stars licitly twinkled above, he fingered the cool metal now pressed against his stomach, a flagrant contrast to the heavy, flush air. It stood for the hated change, among other ominous paradigms. Change in his plans of resting for a passing bout, something he hardly ever got. Change in his nix life again, something not wanted, ever.

But his life scantly belonged to him anymore, and any change that would make a difference, tainted or clear, was always out of his marrow grasp.

*

"Ken?"

He closed the sliding door behind him, and entered the apartment, cringing inwardly when he recognized the voice of the squeakier girl; Kaoru's voice was a little more soothing to his ears, to say the least. "Hn?"

Misao slumped on the sheet-covered couch, and drew her brows together, getting a closer view of the red head. "I didn't know you were Japanese."

"Huh?" Ken blinked out of his brooding. "Oh, I am."

Misao gave him the up and down a few times, and decided it was impossible for a man with his looks to come from an Asian country. Ireland was more likely. But she did have an opened box in her hands addressed to one Himura Kenshin, and it definitely was not Sano's, so Ken could equal Kenshin, right? "How so?"

Ken blinked again, she had been quiet for a moment, allowing him time to dig in the fridge for some cold water, but now she being bubbly again. "'How so' what?"

"How so are you Japanese?"

"How usual people come by it." Ken took a sip of his water, wondering why his roommates had disappeared, leaving him alone with the bubble gum girl. "Being born there."

Misao wrinkled her nose. "Why do you never give a straight answer?"

"Why do you ask a lot of annoying questions?" Ken wanted to chuck the water bottle at the girl, but he knew better than that, knowing she just a curious little girl and he was a man spent on patients at that moment.

Still…

Misao thumped her forehead on the coach. The man was the most difficult one she had ever met; not even the quiet guy at home she liked was this exasperating. She slid back down into a sitting position, and dug through his box, pulling out the mysterious item that was wrapped tight, and securely inside. "Why would someone send you this?"

"What is that?" Kaoru eyed the odd thing, Sano following behind into the room; both changed out of their bathing suites, and into casual wear. "Is that what was in that box that came the other day?"

Why me? Ken rubbed his palms over his eyes --the horrid headache was coming back, hard. "It appears so."

Kaoru frowned; Ken was still grounding his hands into his face, looking utterly frustrated, and weary. Misao obviously did something dumb again. "Did you open the box with out him knowing?"

Guiltless, Misao shrugged. "I thought it was Sano's."

"Well that's good to know." Flicking the girl on the nose lightly, Sano took the item out of her hands, dodging a well-placed kick to a favoring part of his body. "Why don't you just go home."

Misao's bubbles seemed to pop, and she huffed, leaving the room while muttering something about raiding the girl's side fridge. Kaoru sighed, and grabbed the thing from Sano, who was looking as if he was going to drop it at any possible nanosecond, fumbling with it as he was. "Sano, you're so cordial."

"I'm just messing with her, she knows that." He threw a few packaging peanuts at Kaoru, unsuccessfully hitting his destined target because of their flimsy weight unable to carry them far, and making a lovely mess. He kind of pouted. "Anyway, what is that --a vase?"

"Umm…" Turning the ceramic thing in her hands a few times, Kaoru decided she could not identify the foreign object. But it was some type of pottery experiment, from what she could make out, anyway. "I have no clue."

Ken peaked around his fingers, and sighed, sitting on one of the bar stools. Of course that person would send him something as abstract as that, some kind of puzzle in itself. He was marginally hoping that what was ever in the box would give some sort of premonition on the state of the contact trying to be made, being if it was of a friendly or dreaded nature.

But no, he was a fool to think that he would ever get a simple, or a kind answer from that person. How caustic.

A light caress of someone drawing a fingertip across his cheek caught Kenshin from his flight of thought. He looked up at Kaoru, and blinked. "Hn?"

"I was asking if you knew what exactly this was?" Kaoru placed the UFO on the tabletop, and took a set next to Ken, slightly concerned at how the man was in a sudden gloomy mood. This was probably the first time she had seen in anything outside of an indifferent reality. He was always exceedingly quiet, but this was something in tune with divergent.

Ken picked it up, and flipped it on its underside, the initial scrolled in the clay confirming the identity of the artist. It still, however, did not give any clue as to what exactly it was. "Maybe a vase like Sano said."

Sano cuffed his hands on Kaoru's shoulders, and peered over her head at the uglier than sin object. It was about as big as a vase, it had an opening at the top, kind of round with an odd colouring to it, but it was far from a pretty flower holder. "Well, it's an awfully crappy vase, then."

Ken allowed the corner of his mouth to barely curve upwards, and he nodded. "Agreed."

The initial carved in the bottom was a simple `S', indicating towards their first name. Not their real first name, but no one knew that except the owner, and perhaps lost relatives. It was not the same person he spoke with early who carried the same initial, they were two totally different people, and the other would never do something so disconcerting.

Kenshin sighed, and laid his head a top his folded arms on the table. Sano was playing with the now identified ugly vase, deciding whether if it belonged in the rubbish or not. Kaoru fiddled with his hair, a recreation she had picked up over the past week. Women always seemed to be entranced with the foreign red locks, why he would never now.

Conversation meddled into a low drown as he thought, permitting the girl to continue in her quaint gestures. He allowed himself to relax sparsely, somewhat enjoying her playing with his hair, and the small, personal attention he was receiving. It was something he did not come by often, closing in on never. But there were reasons for that.

Reasons why he had received that box in the mail, reasons why he was there with them in the first place, reason why he now felt the need to be cautious and the reasoning went on.

It was because of these reasons there was a change that brought the difference, good or bad, in life.

And his roommates had no idea they were going to be the differential center of this change.

*

To be continued…

*

Next Chapter- New major character appearance, this person is usually a normal character in the cast, and is one of my favorites. Also, there will be a tad on Kaoru and Sano's running. Much Fun.

Author's Notes- So, did I succeed in confusing you about what the heck is going on, and kept you wondering about whom the box was from and who he was talking to on the phone? Yes, you say? Good. It was meant to be like that, but there was some huge hints in this one, people.

Oh, and everyone can let out the breath they are holding. No, this is not going to be a `Kaoru filling in the gap for Tomoe' fic just because he only has half of his scar. There are reasons for him only having half, trust me.

If you have or have not noticed, I have changed the genre to angst. Umm, yeah, it does not seem like that yet, but its going to be getting rough in a few chapters and you might feel like killing me because of the torture I'm going to put your beloved characters through. Other than that, I'm not going to say anything because it will ruin the fun. Please be patient with me, this fic is going to have lots of chapters.

So, thank you for reading this far and please drop me a review or email even if it's a flame. I love them, too.

*

Review Peoples- Thank you! I'm so delighted, I got the most reviews for the last chapter, and they were all very good ones, too. You people rock!

Espi- *Gasp* Don't hurt me, please! *Cowers under rock* Anyway, like I said before, Kaoru won't be filling in for Tomoe. And Tomoe might just make an appearance, not confirming, though. Just keeping you on your toes. *Cackles* Thanx for the, uh, threat… I mean, review.

Kerwininuyasha- *Nods* Yep, I take it as a huge compliment for you reviewing. My reviews are picking up slightly, so I'm very happy with that. Good luck in the chapters, and thanx for the kind words, and I do hope to hear from you in the future. Let me know how I'm doing, `kay? ^_^

Kakarlena Tsugoi- Thank you. *Grin*

Illustrious Sorrow- Yeah, they'll have an `relationship', but about the Tomoe thing, can't say… It'd ruin the story if I'd say if she were going to be in it or not. But there will be romance, but don't expect a whole bunch of WAFF real soon, maybe later. Thank you for reviewing, glad you like it!

moonblossom- Thanx, here's an update. ^^

MysticPrincessMoonlight- Please, ramble all you like, I like to know what parts people like and not. Yeah, Sano is OOC when it comes toward Kaoru, but there is a reason for that. Ken only had known her for a few days at the time, and he knew Sano was pretty over protective of her so he let him take over. Don't worry, he'll get to beat some people up and protect Kaoru ^_^ Thanx again!

M.P. Neidhardt- Ah, thanks, that means a lot. AU usually means Alternate Universe, generally anyway. Hey, my last names ends in `-hardt' too. Do people try to pronounce the `D' in your name? It drives me up the wall when people do that to me. Anyway, thank you again!

Kouri- Sup, my person! Yep, Kenshin is being as mysterious as I can stretch it in this one ^_^ Can't really tell you when the past is going to come out, but expect it to not be soon. I like leaving people wondering and wanting to pull their hair out. *Grin* I'm thrilled you liked it, and thank you for reading and reviewing. See you when I review your neato story next time. ^^

Pen D. Fox- Wow, you sound like me staying up and reading till early morning hours. I did that with `My Life' and `Broken Pieces'. Those stories are addictive, I tell `ya! But it's an honor that you did that for me, I appreciate it and your kind words. Thank you!

missaw- `kay. Thanx, here's your update!

Hana- I just got home today and read your email, so I was unsure if I should have emailed you back or not. But since I'm updating it today, I figured I'd put it here. Thank you for your very kind words. I'm charmed that you like how I only put in hints of the past. I was unsure if that was going to aggravate the readers or not. I'd like to keep it a puzzle for as long as possible, but not forever. Don't worry ^_^ Your review encourages me to continue and I hope to hear from you in the future. Thank you again!

Garasu- Your emails are always the support I need, so I thank you again.

*

Thanx!