Sage Frontier Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of two Fakes! ❯ Law and Order: Saga Frontier Style ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own SaGa Frontier 1 or 2. SquareSoft does, but they have no idea how I plan to crossover both games, since one takes place in the 1200s. Also, for those who HAVE played, I know there's no actual way for Nicolette and Kelvin to be around the same age, but for story purposes, they just are.
 
As Aubergine flew through the sky, trying to keep up with the speeding plane, he began to worry about the effectiveness of his spell. And, he began to worry that he couldn't catch up to the plane. After all, he could only go so fast, and he already felt Rouge's magic being exhausted, as the boy was just a bit weaker than Blue was. Minutes trailed on, and to Rouge, it felt like hours had passed. He let another moment slip before he appeared as an apparition behind Aubergine, turning his head to face Blue, who also appeared.
 
`Blue, how the hell did you think we'd catch up to a plane?' he asked, raising a curious brow, `I don't think they know we're alive. Please tell me you had another plan if this failed.' Blue gave his twin a flat look, unable to believe how impatient Rouge was. He did have a plan. It simply wasn't completed yet.
 
`Rouge, just relax. Fuse put the nitro on. As soon as it wears out, we can catch up,” Blue replied calmly, `Unless, of course, he uses the other nitro with it. Then we might be screwed.' He laughed a bit as Rouge gave him a hard glare, unable to understand just how that would've comforted him. Rouge simply shook his head.
 
`Dude, you're not funny,' he finally stated bluntly, but that only caused Blue to laugh again before they both returned into Aubergine's mind to regain control before their shared body became unresponsive. As Blue had stated, the nitro of the plane began to recede, and soon, Aubergine closed the distance between themselves and the plane, landing on the roof when he finally reached the vehicle. Roufas heard a loud thud, and looked up at the ceiling.
 
“What the hell was that?” he asked, trying to open one of the windows to look out and see. Unfortunately, Fuse had locked them all, and he had all of the keys with him, so Roufas simply sighed, crossing his arms.
 
“We're not under imperial attack, are we?” Darius added, glancing at Joker. Fuse snorted as he sipped his coffee.
 
“Unless your crazy aunt has connections with the Imperial Air Facilities, it's probably just a Rabbat or something equally as ridiculous,” Fuse replied airily, obviously not seeing the need for concern, “Sometimes we get those monsters flying this high up. I usually give myself fifty points if I hit them.” Darius blinked, wondering just how Fuse managed to be promoted to captain with that attitude. At that moment, the deck door was opened, and both Rouge and Blue ran in, dragging Rita with them. They had defused on the roof.
 
“Sorry, Captain,” Rouge said, “That thud was us. Blue doesn't know how to land properly.” Blue's eyes widened and he glared at his brother, who grinned.
 
“Excuse me!? I can't land!?” he yelled, “You're the one who wanted to catch up to them so badly!” Back and forth, they began to argue as everyone simply watched, save for Rita, who was frozen solid from the Stasis rune. Fuse simply blinked, and when it got to the point where Rouge threatened bodily harm, he had to step in and be the father figure.
 
“Both of you shut it or I'll shove my boots so far up your asses that you'll be spitting out laces!” Fuse yelled, and immediately, both boys stopped their fighting, “Now then, I got a call from the boss again.” Rouge blinked as Blue sat down in a chair, leaning Rita against a wall.
 
“Again? What's wrong now?” he asked.
 
“She couldn't get us into Trinity Court unless we wanted to wait a few months,” Fuse replied, turning back to the sky before they managed to crash, “So she booked us a court hearing on the continent of Hahn Nova.” Blue blinked. He had been taught of that continent when he was a kid, but it was very, very far from anywhere near IRPO's jurisdiction. And, it hadn't yet given up its old ways, so execution was still probable if they were seen as a threat.
 
“Sir… isn't going there a bit too dangerous?” Blue presented, and Fuse glanced at him, “We could be executed if seen as a threat. They're still very much a military nation. It's too risky!”
 
“Boy, we don't have much of a choice. Unless you want Rita to escape while we wait for a hearing from Trinity, this is what we have,” Fuse stated sternly, “She already sent word to them. The king there is sending his royal guard to escort us so nothing will happen. Just sit down and don't piss yourself while I drive there!” Blue sighed, but said nothing more. It was useless to try to argue, and so the next hour passed in silence. By that time, any of the cities and borders he'd familiarized himself with were long passed as a large ocean came into view. Fuse thrust on the second nitro to speed through it, not wanting to waste any more time than they already had.
 
“So, has anyone ever actually been to Hahn Nova before?” Red finally asked, when the silence seemed to get on his nerves. No one raised their hands, and Blue wasn't all that surprised to find that only he seemed to know anything about it. Even Rouge had no idea at all about what Hahn Nova was.
 
“I've been taught that magic is still very much in use there,” Blue explained, feeling that he'd better contribute to their preparations at least, “In fact, their uses rival the Magic Kingdom's and Fascinaturu's. I'm almost excited to be going… except that their laws are incredibly strict. I'm not so sure this is a safe idea.” Rouge's lips thinned, hearing the hesitation in Blue's voice. Blue himself simply looked out the window, and then said, “Lion said she came from Hahn Nova before Orlouge recruited her. I should've asked her about it.”
 
“I wouldn't worry so much, bro,” Rouge said encouragingly, “What's the worst that could happen, anyway?” Blue laughed. Every time Rouge said that, something usually slapped him right in the face immediately afterwards, but this time, nothing happened. Just then, Fuse began to descend the plane, and as everyone looked out the window, the large empire of Hahn Nova came into view. The city was beautiful, surrounding a large fortress in its center, and farmland, fields, and meadows surrounded the city. It looked peaceful, and very different from the more modern cities within their own continent. Fuse aimed to land in one of the fields on the outskirts of the city, and as they came closer to the ground, figures of men came into view. Finally, they managed to land, and to scare off many of the troops that had been sent for their safety. Only one man managed to stay, completely undaunted by the aircraft.
 
“Ah, you must be the visitors in need of a court hearing,” the man said, as Fuse came out of the plane, “Welcome to Hahn Nova. I'm commander Nebelstern.” The commander was taller than Fuse, with long, brown hair. He wore silver armor, and on his head was a circlet made of steel. He and Fuse shook hands.
 
“Yup, that's us,” Fuse replied, “Sorry to be intruding like this, but this is a really urgent case. This woman nearly killed my best unit, and almost murdered her own sister in front of us.” Nebelstern sighed, his lips thinning.
 
“Your boss already filled us in on her heinous crimes,” he said kindly, “At any rate, we're happy to help you. Our ruler wishes to see you immediately. He'd like to hear your ordeal before we start court.” Without another word, Nebelstern led Fuse and the others away from the field, with only a few troops still following them. He led them through the city, of which both Emelia and Maria were intrigued to see. Four troops carried Rita, who was still frozen from the Stasis rune.
 
“Wow! This place looks awesome!” Red said, as he looked over at one of the stands selling food to his left, “Fuse, can we do some shopping before we leave? I've never seen this stuff before!” Nebelstern chuckled at the enthusiasm in Red's voice, and Fuse sighed, having no idea how to respond. They had jobs to do, and even though he himself wanted to look at Hahn Nova, he knew better than to shirk like that.
 
“We'll see after we get this court hearing,” Fuse simply replied, as Roufas dragged Red away from the stand. Fuse then turned back to Nebelstern, and said, “How did you get our message so quickly? I heard you don't condone technology very much.” Nebelstern looked at him critically for a moment. Then he smiled slyly.
 
“Normally, we don't, but the Count of Jade insisted that we should try to trust our continental brothers a bit more,” he explained, “So, we had one imported thanks to a young digger. He wasn't too happy to be trading a quell for one, but he did it.” Fuse had no idea what a quell actually was, so he simply nodded his head. They walked on, leaving the busy street, which Nebelstern explained was the main part of the shopping district. They entered the large gardens that represented the square of the vast city, where ladies sat on the benches, watching their children playing. They were promptly ignored as the group walked on, past two large, iron gates and into a large, spacious courtyard. Two fountains adorned the path leading to the large castle, one on each side. Roufas whistled as he looked on.
 
“Wow… not even the Charm Lord has this kind of décor in his kingdom,” he commented in awe, “And trust me, I've been there.” Blue nodded, having seen Orlouge's castle for himself. It paled miserably compared to this. He'd have to come back to this place eventually, but for now, he simply followed Nebelstern, who continued upwards toward the front of the castle, where two guards stopped him.
 
“Ah, commander! You're back!” one of the guards exclaimed, “Lord Gustave's been waiting for you. Are these the visitors?” He gestured to the group behind Nebelstern. The commander nodded.
 
“Yes, that's right,” he replied calmly, “Is Lord Gustave ready?”
 
“He is, but not all of the royal court appeared yet,” the guard replied nervously, “We still need to wait for the Count of Jade, the King of Finney, and the Marquis of Cantal. If you ask me, they're taking their time just to piss Lord Gustave off. We gave them more than enough notice to take a boat and get here on time.” Rouge snorted at the expression that now crossed Nebelstern's face, which was a mix of shock and fury. He drew his spear.
 
“Hold that tongue or I'll pierce it off for our Lord,” he scolded furiously, “Do not say such things of our lordship's court! Do you know how long until they do arrive?” The two guards looked at each other, but neither appeared to have any clue at all. They both shrugged.
 
“It could take an hour, or a week depending on how much they want to push their luck,” the other guard replied, earning himself a sharp growl from their commander, “But I'm sure they're on their way!” Nebelstern simply shook his head. He had displayed enough displeasure at them, and resumed showing his guests the interior of the castle. It was amazing to everyone! The stone that the castle was made of was cut in perfect slants and arranged in ways none of them imagined possible. Its coloring resembled gold, but to a richer degree. Banners and tapestries adorned all of the walls, and the railings on the stairways were made of highly polished oak. It was clear that even Blue had never seen such a place, despite being raised in a castle himself.
 
“This must've cost a fortune!” Emelia exclaimed, her eyes wide, “Honestly, Hahn Nova is beautiful! Is it possible for me to live here?” Nebelstern chuckled, and nodded as he smiled warmly.
 
“Of course it is. Likewise, many of us are beginning to wonder what your own continent is like,” Nebelstern replied, “If you all would like, I could talk to Lord Gustave about issuing you a citizen ID so you could travel here safely.” Though that appealed to everyone, only Red took up the deal. There was too much on their minds right now to harbor any dreams of moving to such a wondrous place. Nebelstern led them up the stairs and down a long hallway, finally leading into a large, circular chamber that resembled a very prestigious cathedral. A throne stood on a pedestal in the center of this expansive room, and on that throne sat a very handsome, well-built man adorned in shining, steel armor. His skin was slightly tanned from the sun, and his hair was long and blond, nearly reaching to the floor. He looked bored, but as he saw Nebelstern enter, he smiled. Next to this man stood another, smaller man who looked more of a servant than anyone particularly important. He, too, seemed to jump with energy upon the commander's arrival.
 
“Ah, Nebelstern! I see you've brought our guests to safety,” the first man said, standing up and walking off of the pedestal, “I'm to guess that all went well?” Nebelstern nodded, and knelt to the ground.
 
“Of course, Lord Gustave,” he said, and then stood up again, “I've been informed that no one else has shown yet.” The man, Gustave, sighed and nodded, his mouth slanting in a skeptical frown.
 
“Not yet,” he replied worriedly, “Kelvin, I can understand. He is currently working on setting his army to get to Weissland. But neither my brother nor my sister have that sort of project. I'm beginning to worry. It shouldn't take long for them to get here, even if it's by boat.” Red remembered what the guards outside had said about spiting Gustave.
 
“I think the guards suspect your brother and sister of pushing your buttons a bit, dude,” Red stated plainly. Nebelstern turned to look at him incredulously, and Gustave actually laughed at the statement. It wasn't in scorn or mock, but in amusement. His smile didn't even fade.
 
“I can see Philippe doing that,” he laughed, shaking his head, “Marie might help him with that if she thought it humorous enough. I shall give them until tomorrow morning to get here. If they don't make it, I'm afraid I'll simply start court without them. Flynn, go and get us some drinks. I'm sure our visitors are tired. They barely finished their mission before having to fly out all this way.” The second man, who was still near the throne, nodded and ran off. To where, no one knew, but Blue knew he'd be back shortly. Gustave walked back to his throne and sat down.
 
“So, what happens if Rita's found guilty?” Joker asked, “Who decides what her fate is?” Gustave gave that inquire a moment's thought. He could only guess that one; he had never dealt with a matter on another continent.
 
“I believe I do, since you've brought her to my jurisdiction,” Gustave replied, “Though I will take your personal opinions of what should be done into consideration… ah! Flynn, where are the drinks?” Flynn had come back without anything, but behind him stood three figures. One was of a shorter man with fair hair and elegant, blue clothes. The second was of a taller man with dark, brown hair, and red robes. The third was of a young woman wearing a veil to hide her blonde hair, wearing a robe of white. Flynn approached the throne.
 
“Sorry, sir Gus,” he said, “When I went to the kitchens, I saw that Lord Kelvin, Lord Philippe, and Lady Marie were waiting to be let in. I felt they should be announced.” Gustave smiled when he saw the three figures, and once again left the throne.
 
“Yes! Of course! Brother, and sister, I welcome you back to my court once more!” he said to the red robed man and the white robed woman. To the third man, he said, “Kelvin, I'm glad to see that you've made it.” Kelvin nodded as Marie hugged Gustave. Philippe seemed completely uninterested in whatever was actually going on.
 
“Yes. Sorry about the delay,” Kelvin replied, “Your brother doesn't know how to steer a boat, apparently.” Marie and Gustave simply laughed, but Philippe became indignant and irritated.
 
“Oh, shut up! At least I tried to make myself useful, unlike you both!” Philippe snapped, and then calmed himself as he spoke to his brother, “Do you mind filling us in? We didn't come here to make fun of my driving skills.” Gustave laughed. He had expected something like this to occur. Shaking his head, he pointed to Fuse, Blue, and everyone else who had come along on the mission. Philippe gave them all a skeptical look.
 
“We have visitors from the continent on the borders of Fascinaturu, Shrike, and Manhattan,” Gustave explained, “They require our help, as their judicial system is too backed up to get a proper court hearing in a short amount of time.” Philippe looked at him blankly, and then at Fuse.
 
“Why couldn't they wait?” he asked plainly.
 
“The woman we're charging has committed murder, assault, grand larceny, forgery, and put minors in danger,” Fuse explained, “We have to charge her now before she has a chance to get a defense that could negate all these charges.” Marie had covered her mouth at the list of offenses, and Kelvin had paled considerably upon the explanation as well. Even Philippe seemed shocked, finally realizing the direness of the situation. He turned to Gustave.
 
“We'd better start court immediately then,” he suggested. Gustave nodded, walked back to his throne, and sat once more. This time, he directed his speech to Nebelstern, who was talking with Blue about the case and its many details.
 
“Nebelstern, please go and inform the rest of the court that we're beginning immediately,” Gustave said. Nebelstern nodded, and left the room. Half an hour later, the large chamber was now full of people, either watching or lending a hand in the trial. Only one person was on Rita's side, and to Kelvin's horror, it was Nicolette. His eye twitched as he saw her. Even Gustave seemed very disturbed by her presence.
 
“Don't tell me you're acting as a defense attorney,” Kelvin said plainly as Nicolette passed him. She smiled smugly.
 
“But of course. Someone needs to act as one for this to be a proper court,” she replied, “Besides, it's like fighting you, who are acting as the DA, so that's even better for me. I can't wait to kick your sorry behind right back to Jade.” Kelvin's eye twitched again.
 
“I hate you,” he said, and Nicolette simply smiled, walking over to a second table just a bit to the right of Kelvin's, where Rita now sat. The two women shook hands, and for some reason, that made Kelvin even angrier. Feeling that he had better step in, Gustave rose.
 
“All rise for the honorable Lord Gustave,” Nebelstern said, and when all had risen, he said, “Be seated.” Again, everyone sat. Flynn handed Gustave a slip of paper that Fuse had written with every specific charge, and Gustave nearly reeled at the list. It was long, compared to the past courts he held. He cleared his throat and turned to Rita.
 
“On the charges of murder in the first degree, four counts of assault, three counts of negligence, ten counts of grand larceny, ten counts of forgery, and ten counts of reckless endangerment, how do you plead?” he asked calmly. Rita and Nicolette exchanged an incoherent whisper, and Rita spoke up.
 
“Not guilty, your Lordship,” she said, smiling. Red jumped up out of his seat.
 
OBJECTION!” he yelled, causing Kelvin to glare at him as Nicolette let out an amused laugh. Roufas sighed and dragged Red back into his seat as Gustave raised an amused brow at the outburst.
 
“Red, don't be an idiot!” Roufas hissed sharply, “You can't just shout `objection!' That's Kelvin's job, and court hasn't even started yet!”
 
“But she did all of that! She's lying!” Red argued, “Can't we object to that!?” Roufas's eyes narrowed as Fuse snorted, and he shook his head.
 
“No. Now shut up and let Kelvin do his job,” Roufas said. Kelvin sighed, and as he was called to bring a witness first, he brought Joker to the stand. Joker walked up nervously, and as he got into the seat near the throne, Kelvin whispered, “It's all right. Just tell us all the truth and you'll do fine.” Joker nodded.
 
“Steven, how old were you when the alleged abuse started?” Kelvin asked, pacing around the court.
 
“When it started with me, I was ten years old,” Joker replied, “I was seven when she started hurting Darius.” Kelvin hummed and nodded, thinking his next question carefully. If he had any hopes of bringing Rita down, he had to play strategically.
 
“What sort of abuse did you go through?” he asked.
 
“At first, she used to hit me when I didn't do or say what she wanted,” Joker replied, “Sometimes she'd slap me across the face… something she'd throw a book at me. It depended on what I did wrong.”
 
“And did she ever starve you?” Kelvin asked, “Did she ever do anything other than physically harm you or your brother?” That's when Kelvin saw what he needed. Joker's eyes watered. He nodded.
 
“Y-yeah… she sometimes locked us in our rooms and left us there for days,” Joker replied, as the tears fell, “She'd call me names and tell me how useless I was, like my mother. She… she almost killed me when I first went to prison.”
 
“And can you recount what happened to Darius?” Kelvin asked. Joker trembled as he looked at his brother, who nodded.
 
“I think he needs to answer that,” Joker said, trying to keep his voice from breaking. Kelvin looked at Gustave, who nodded, and then he turned to Darius, who raised a worried brow. He nodded.
 
“Will Darius please rise?” Kelvin asked, and when he did so, walking up to stand next to Joker, Kelvin continued, “What abuse were you put through from this woman?”
 
“Starvation, malnutrition, exposure, rape,” Darius listed bitterly, “You name it, she put me through it. I lost my virginity when I was 15 because of her, and she nearly broke my arm when I told her about it. I wanted to kill myself after that, but I couldn't leave my brother with that monster.” The jury looked aghast when they heard this, and many of them murmured to each other. Kelvin held up a tiny bag.
 
“We'd like to produce exhibit A,” he said, “This is Darius and Joker's lab results, which indeed prove that they've suffered beatings and rape before. I'd like you to read it.” With this, he handed the bag to the jury, who read off the results. It was clear that they had already decided their opinion of Rita.
 
“Dear god!” Wil Knights exclaimed, “That woman should be executed for these results!”
 
“Order in my courtroom or you'll be dismissed!” Gustave commanded sternly, and then turned to Nicolette, “Have you any questions for these witnesses?” Nicolette nodded, and stood. To Rita, she whispered, “You had better have a decent explanation when I call you, because you're dead now.”
 
“Yes, sir,” she replied, and walked over to where Kelvin stood, “Steven, Darius, I do not distrust your judgment, but did Rita ever display any method of kindness to you?”
 
“No,” Darius said plainly, as Joker shook his head in agreement. Nicolette blinked.
 
“Let me rephrase that: Did she actually care for you?” Nicolette asked, “Did she feed you, clothe you, and give you room and board?” Darius's eye twitched. That question was a trap, but he had to answer. He nodded stiffly.
 
“Yes, she did,” he growled.
 
“And you think to repay her with this horrible, false allegation?” Nicolette asked, raising an eyebrow, “You think to repay her by making your dear aunt stand trial? By making her suffer this humiliation? All by your hands!?”
 
I WAS RAPED BECAUSE OF HER!” Darius yelled, standing up out of his seat. Though fury had taken over, tears fell from his eyes again, and silence befell the rest of the court as he said, “You really think I'm lying!? Call Cabellero up, it's his scumbag gang that did it! They'll tell you everything! They're rotting in prison, I'm sure they'll give you a testament to her actions!” Nicolette sighed, her lips thinning as she tried to figure out how to get Darius to calm down. But it was too late; she had trapped Rita. No amount of Rita's cunning would escape with everything her nephews had stated.
 
“Before this is over… I need to know: have you any physical proof of that?” Nicolette asked. Darius was ready to blow his top at her, but then he seemed to see that her mouth was moving, though she didn't make a sound. Upon reading her lips, he heard her say, `this will get her arrested if you do.' He understood, even though Nicolette was defending her, she knew Rita was guilty. He nodded and took off his shirt, turning around to display his back. A large, snaking scar covered it, and the skin around the scar looked green with infection.
 
This is what I get for reporting a rape,” Darius replied, showing his back, “Those results… prove that I was, but Rita did this.” Once again, the jury gasped at the sight of Darius's injury, and Joker winced when he saw it. Nebelstern, who was usually undaunted with injury, bit his lip and held back a retch. Only Rita seemed unaffected by it, and Gustave looked at her curiously.
 
“Darius… is there… any way that you could have mistaken how you received that?” Nicolette asked gently, “It has been ten years, according to the result sheets. Is there any way that it was a mere accident?” Darius shook his head and glared at Rita.
 
“There's no way this was an accident,” he said gravely, “She did this to me.” He pointed directly at her, and finally, Rita screamed as that finger was pointed right in her direction. She stood up, despite Nicolette's request that she sit down.
 
“Oh please! You honestly think I'd believe a kid over a group of wealthy clients!?” she spat, “You little snake! You vermin! I should've done worse to you, but you just wouldn't shut that damn mouth of yours! You kept crying, begging me to leave you alone! I had to toughen a snot like you up!”
 
“Rita, stop it! You're making this worse!” Nicolette yelled, and even Kelvin tried to help her calm her client down. But there was no stopping it. They tried to restrain her, but she pushed Nicolette away and slammed Kelvin in the face with her fists.
 
“Let go of me, you money-pinching leeches!” she yelled angrily, “I know you… I know all of you! You think I'm cruel!? The world is cruel; I'm just teaching my family that life isn't a bowl of cherries!”
 
“You nearly beat us to death!” Darius yelled, laying a hand on Joker to keep him still, as he was starting to shake with terror, “The only reason I didn't cop you was because of my brother! I couldn't risk you killing him for this!”
 
ORDER IN THIS COURT IMMEDIATELY!” Gustave finally yelled, his voice thundering above the rest as he stood up. Immediately, everyone silenced themselves, even Kelvin, who was whimpering as he tried to fix his now-broken nose. Gustave sighed and said, “Rita, you're going to be held in contempt of court if you do not settle that tongue.”
 
“Oh, come on! You already know she did this!” Red exclaimed, and Gustave turned to him as Fuse slapped his forehead and shook his head, unable to believe Red was stupid enough to speak out like that.
 
“Silence, or you will be held in contempt as well,” Gustave said, and glanced over to the jury, who were murmuring and whispering. Wil Knights glared at Rita, but then went to talking to his fellow jurors. Gustave then turned to Nicolette and asked, “Have you any more questions?”
 
“Sir, I'm afraid that nothing my client could say will erase what she has already yelled,” Nicolette replied, shaken by the commotion Rita had started, “At best, we could move with a psyche defense, but…”
 
“I am NOT crazy!” Rita screamed. Nicolette's lips thinned and Gustave nodded. Nicolette had given up; there was nothing she could actually do now, but she dismissed Joker and Darius, and called Rita to the stand. This was a losing case for her, and with Kelvin out of commission thanks to Rita, no amount of defense would get her off of that charge, even if Nicolette suggested an emotional break.
 
“Rita, can you explain to us just why you gave your nephews such harsh, oft-seen uncaring treatment?” Nicolette asked, “Can you tell us why you chose to be harsh rather than mother them when their own mother was found dead?”
 
“That bitch murdered our mother!” Darius yelled angrily, and Gustave gave him one last warning as Nebelstern restrained him. Rita snorted with amusement before she chose to answer Nicolette. She smiled. It was a smile so sickening, that Blue half-wished he and Rouge stayed in their fused form.
 
“Why, I was simply testing a new theory in parenting,” Rita stated calmly, as though nothing had happened in the court, “See, I have a theory that babying your children will make them soft. That, by being tough yet strict, you can show them a better future where they'll know the consequences of their actions. I was… preparing them.” Joker gritted his teeth, and Blue knew it was getting hard for him to remain quiet as well. Nicolette hesitated, and Kelvin noticed she was twitching. She turned to Kelvin.
 
“Your witness,” she said, “I have… no further questions.” Kelvin nodded, and stepped up, despite his nose being crooked and bashed in. He had every intention of winning now, and he hoped Nicolette wouldn't form a solid defense while he questioned her.
 
“Did you ever want kids, Rita?” he asked coldly, pacing around the chamber again, “Tell me, did it ever cross you that you would be a good mother?”
 
“Well, I had no choice once Darius and Steven were at my doorstep,” Rita replied, “But what does that have to do with anything?”
 
“If you hated kids, why not send your nephews off to an orphanage?” he asked, raising an eyebrow, “You had more than enough money. Isn't it true that, in your statement with the agency, you said `If I must oblige with taking these little cretins, then I'll do as I see fit?” Rita blinked, and when Gustave looked at Kelvin critically, he said, “Exhibit B, your Lordship. The document attesting to Rita's adoption of her nephews.” He gave the document in question to the jury.
 
“Well, I… I… I was doing my best, and…” Rita stammered, and Kelvin knew he was getting her on thin ice.
 
“And did you see fit to send your 15-year-old nephew to an abandoned warehouse where you knew dangerous men lived!?” Kelvin asked, “Did you see fit to starve these kids when they botched a job because of their age, or when they couldn't do what you asked!? Did you honestly see fit to punish them for no reason!?”
 
“Objection!” Nicolette called, “He's badgering, your Lordship!”
 
“Overruled,” Gustave replied, “Rita, answer the questions.” Rita blinked, unable to form a good lie, or defense, whichever she decided to head. Gustave warned her once more about being held in contempt.
 
“I thought I was doing what was right,” she finally said quietly. Kelvin's eyes narrowed and he came so close that his broken nose was just inches from hers.
 
“And did you think it was right to whip your nephew to near death for telling you he was raped?” he asked dangerously, “When he needed you most, you thought it best to beat him as though what happened was his fault? When he needed love, and attention, and medication, what did you do?” Rita remained silent, and Gustave finally told her he would arrest her if she didn't speak, and that execution was well on the mark. She forced her mouth to open.
 
“I beat his pathetic ass into the ground,” she murmured. Kelvin didn't back away. They remained inches from one another.
 
“Then I hope you rot in hell for it,” he said, and looked at Gustave, “No questions.”
 
“Nicolette, have you any more questions for this witness?” Gustave asked. Nicolette shook her head as she stood up again.
 
“No, your Lordship. I've asked all I can,” she replied. Gustave nodded, and as he saw the jury write something down, he called Nebelstern. After a brief word, Nebelstern approached the jury, took the slip Wil handed him, and gave it to Gustave. He glanced at it, frowned, and looked at the jury again.
 
“Has the Jury reached a verdict?” he asked. Wil Knights stood up and nodded, and so Gustave asked, “In all due charges and assaults made and reported, how do you find?” Wil cleared his throat, and with nods from the rest of his fellows, he sighed.
 
“We of this courtroom find Rita Andorf guilty on all charges.”
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
Holy howling hullabaloo, Rita's been charged with all accounts she's been reported on! And, it's pretty much unanimous, too, as even Nicolette seemed to refuse to defend her after a while. But what will be brought out of the witch with her acts finally brought to justice? Can Nebelstern successfully arrest and restrain her where even Fuse failed to do so? What awaits her now that the trial is over? With Gustave leading the court, instead of the Trinity headmaster, can he successfully deal justice to such a severe criminal? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!