Sage Frontier Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of two Fakes! ❯ Ildon's Interrogation and Investigation ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own SaGa Frontier. SquareSoft does, and they said they're making a show about Ciato and Ildon. It's called The Odd Couple: Game of the Year Edition.
 
The hour had passed by lazily, and Blue was acutely aware that Rouge wasn't taking the silence well. The dinosaur was out of the picture, and for that, he knew Rouge was eternally grateful to the Mystics. But their grim tones, and Ildon's ominous words beforehand had caused a good deal of worry in Rouge's mind, worry that Blue felt he didn't need. Not when he barely survived in this new world. Yet for some reason, the Mystics weren't even cognizant of this. In fact, they seemed incredibly distracted despite inviting the two over to their camp. It was a weird feeling indeed; normally, Mystics were so focused and level-headed. Something was up to keep them so preoccupied. In particular, Ildon was the most affected. He stared directly into the fire Zozma had started, his pale face glowing orange amidst the flames. His eyes told Blue far more than his silence did. He was off somewhere else, thinking of someone else. It must have been Rastaban.
 
Meanwhile, Zozma seemed equally distracted, but on the opposite scale. Whereas Ildon kept completely silent and still, Zozma seemed to be humming to himself, occasionally singing softly to try and keep his focus. But he was also staring into the fire as well, with the same intensity. Blue was partly worried, and slightly curious to see, if either of the Mystics' eyes would burn out.
 
Finally, Rouge couldn't take the suspense. He may have been part of IRPO, but he wasn't exactly a cop. He hadn't been in the field for a hundred some-odd years like Fuse had been, and he wasn't trained to wait out his opponents or captives like the cop in question had been, either. And he wasn't used to anyone ignoring him, either. He looked at his older brother for a slight second, and then turned to the Mystics across from them. Orlouge and the Time Lord were the best bets to getting some damn answers, but they were respectful when it came to the princes. They didn't even so much as utter a complaint at sitting in the dirt for more than a few seconds. It was almost maddening.
 
“Does someone want to tell me what the hell's going on?” Rouge blurted out rudely, and all of the Mystics stared at him in unison, “Come on, you didn't come here to enjoy my company, did you?” Zozma laughed, but a glare from Ildon shut him up.
 
“What we have to say isn't entirely easy for any of us,” Orlouge began gently, as a patient father speaking to his child would do, “We simply aren't sure how to go about it.”
 
“Talking is a good start,” Rouge said flatly, and received a nudge from Blue. Orlouge sighed, and looked away. Whatever this was about, they didn't want to say. Rouge had a sneaking suspicion that, for some reason, most of it pointed to him. Ildon finally decided to give in to the human, and looked up at Rouge with flashing, red eyes.
 
“We've not seen sign or heard word of Ciato,” the green-haired Mystic told him plainly. Rouge just blinked. Blue may have understood that significance, but Rouge didn't. To him, Ciato was a drama queen and lived to make others worry and question his moves. So it was little surprise to Blue when his brother stared incredulously with an arched brow, expecting more of an answer.
 
When he didn't receive one, Rouge waited and said, “…so? Ciato's disappeared before. It's nothing new.” Ildon snorted coldly, and turned away. Again, it felt almost pointed.
 
“When you consider that space is warped, it's terrifying,” Orlouge interjected, his calm voice cutting through the still air, “We have all returned, and that is good. But where could Ciato be?” Blue hummed, but said nothing. Now he seemed as occupied as the others. Rouge just watched, a soft frown gracing his features. He looked around before speaking again. Ciato wasn't the only one missing.
 
“I don't see Kylin here, either,” he pointed out, but Ildon waved it away.
 
“Kylin is working on restoring the fabrics of space before it's upturned any more,” the Mystic replied without looking at him, “The problem is that, as princes, we all have ties to Orlouge. When he summons us, we return. It's as simple as that. Ciato, however, did not.”
 
“Neither did Rastaban,” Rouge was quick to state, but Ildon's glare silenced him much like it had for Zozma.
 
“Rastaban can't,” Ildon growled, and there was a shakiness to his voice now that had never been heard before, “Rastaban… does not exist now.” Blue gasped, and Rouge's mouth dropped. That wasn't an expected answer, and quite frankly, now they both understood what was driving Ildon so forcefully. The man he loved was no more, and it was their fault to begin with. Which meant that everyone else…
 
“So then, our world…” Rouge began, and Ildon nodded grimly, eyes hardening as he silently confirmed Rouge's fears.
 
“Gone. Everything we know and love is gone,” the green-haired Mystic said emptily, “Our world, Hahn Nova, Nesce, Domino, Ivalice, Spira, it's all gone. Only a few worlds exist now.” Rouge had nothing more to say, and Blue wondered just what could be said, with their fates stated so plainly. It was no wonder they couldn't use magic anymore. It simply did not exist.
 
But, as Blue thought more about it, what happened made sense. When the terminal had crashed, literally, it was as if life just ended. To have multiple worlds corrode and then vanish entirely wasn't a surprise. In fact, it happened even without the complete upheaval of the space-time continuum. The only exception was that multiple worlds didn't vanish in a short period of time. This was, and always would be, a special exception. Blue just let out a sigh. He didn't want to think this was caused because of them, but somehow, he knew they had set into place each and every piece needed to begin the events that caused the end of their world. They were nothing but catalysts.
 
“I don't want to think that we've done this, but is there a way to right this?” he asked after a few agonizingly long moments. The Time Lord looked down at him gently, as if he sympathized with Blue's guilt. He shook his head.
 
“We can only trust that Kylin can fix this,” the old Mystic told him, “As to you, take heart in knowing that you didn't cause this.” But Rouge knew who had, and it was the very person who was missing. That was why he could only blame himself. He alone saw the madness in Ciato's eyes, and he alone remembered what had transpired. Blue certainly didn't recall it, after all.
 
“Then… what did?” Rouge quietly asked, and the Time Lord stopped, thinking about it. He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Because he couldn't remember. He couldn't remember! For once, he was frozen. Time was his tool, and he was accustomed to knowing every event and figure within time. Remembering thousands upon thousands of years was part of the job. So why could he not remember this particular incident? He frowned.
 
“…” He could say nothing. Rouge waited another moment, and then looked away, toward the others, his question written on his face. Ildon screwed his features up as he tried to recall it as well, but it was clear the Mystic was drawing a blank. Orlouge fared no better. And Zozma was too stupid to understand that Rouge didn't want to see that.
 
“You know, I can't remember, either,” the red-head stated with a shrug, “Huh. I wonder if we got conked on the head too hard.” Ildon just snorted, but it felt dry and mocking amidst the silence from the others. Rouge's eyes watered as he looked at the ground. Now he was certain that only he knew what had truly happened. Sure, Blue had nearly caught on a while ago, but that barely counted. For all Blue knew, Rouge was simply worried about Ciato. And that wasn't a lie.
 
As the others began to discuss the new fact, at least new to them, that they couldn't remember anything concerning the destruction of space, Rouge came to the realization that he had a choice now. And it was one that would affect himself, his friends, and everything else. He had the perfect opportunity, and a solid memory as well. He could tell them all the truth, remind them how Ciato had shattered the celestial terminal and began the chain of destruction. Or he could stay silent and let them think he knew nothing. He wasn't sure which was best. If he told them the truth, Ciato would most likely be killed, and Blue would definitely wonder why he hadn't spoken of it earlier. But if he didn't… Ciato would be safe, and could live a somewhat peaceful life. For some reason, that was important to Rouge.
 
The decision was going to be a painful one no matter what Rouge decided. He knew that instantly; someone was going to get hurt, and it didn't matter what he chose. His mind knew that if he didn't say, they could be facing this forever and more if Ciato still had some piece of the terminal with him. There was no way to know if the eruptions had eased the insanity within him. But his heart wanted to give Ciato some time to escape and recover. It wasn't truly the Mystic's fault. The knowledge that the world was left to their shoulders was just too much, and Rouge couldn't blame him for what he did. Ciato was just one man, after all, and all men had their downfalls.
 
Blue must have sensed Rouge's thoughts, or at the very least that he was having them. He looked at his younger brother and put a hand on the man's shoulder. It was comforting, but somehow, Rouge gave a shudder. If Blue found out, he wouldn't sit with it.
 
“Little brother, are you all right?” Blue asked calmly, and Rouge looked at him, “You've been distracted. What's wrong?” Rouge shook a bit. He looked away. Was there a way to nudge Blue without letting the others know? Blue might show some mercy. But Ildon would not, and neither would Orlouge or the Time Lord. Even Fuse and Zozma would show contempt for the white-haired Mystic.
 
“I'm just wondering… with Ciato missing, what if he's been swallowed by space?” Rouge asked, and looked over at the others, “Or what if he's been possessed? If space was ripped apart, anything could come out of the voids, couldn't it?” Everyone stared, trying to digest the mage's words. That could have explained where Ciato went.
 
“You think he's dead? Or possibly even involved?” Ildon questioned incredulously, watching Rouge carefully. Rouge bit his lip, trying to appear innocent enough to convince Ildon. The man was perceptive even beyond the Mystics' normal abilities.
 
“I don't know what I think, but I do know no one's seen him,” Rouge said plainly, worriedly adding, “And I know that if he hasn't joined you, something bad may have happened.” Ildon and Zozma exchanged glances, knowing that what was said may have been the case. Ciato was the darkest of the princes, the one most prone to dealing with death. Death was not a foe to take lightly, and it may have returned to claim him. The mere thought scared even Ildon, who was hardened by the darkness.
 
“Then he's no better off than Rastaban,” Ildon whispered, looking away. Zozma patted him on the shoulder, knowing how painful the loss was. Ildon and Rastaban had been lovers for centuries now. Then again, Ildon and Ciato were lovers, too. The loss of Ciato could've been just as painful.
 
“I know it hurts, buddy. We'll get them back,” the red-head said comfortingly, but Ildon couldn't feel the warmth. In truth, he felt Ciato got what he deserved, but he knew Rastaban wouldn't feel the same. Rastaban would do everything in his power to save the Mystic, wherever the bastard might be hiding. So, for his sake, Ildon knew he'd have to learn the truth.
 
“What if we can't?” Ildon asked, looking up at Zozma, “What if the human's right, and Ciato was swallowed whole?”
 
“Then Kylin could find him,” the Time Lord told them both, and they stared, “If your friend is lost within space, then only Kylin could find him.” Ildon wanted to believe that, but if Ciato was trapped, then it was only logical to reason that he was lost forever. No one had ever survived a vortex in space; Ciato was no exception. No matter how powerful a prince he happened to be.
 
Rouge's words, however, had a worse impact on Ildon than the vain Mystic wanted to admit. Zozma had been willing to let the situation go as soon as the Time Lord said Kylin could find him. But Ildon couldn't be so naïve, and it was more than just a vortex. The fact that he couldn't even remember it terrified him. He had been right there when it happened. And Rouge's other suggestion, with Ciato being possessed… that one was far more likely to happen. And that was the one that truly worried Ildon. The former would simply mean Ciato was dead. And while death was rare within the Mystic kingdom, it would eventually be mourned and forgotten. But if the hypothetical vortex had spawned a shadow… the darkness within Ciato would attract it like the strongest magnet.
 
There was more to it than that. Ildon shook his head, and looked at Rouge as he talked to Zozma and Blue. Something wasn't right. How on earth could a human come up with that thought? And how could they, the Mystics, not have thought of such things? Ciato was one of them, after all. Was it simply because no one cared what happened to the white-haired son of a submariner? Ildon wasn't quite sure, but he knew an inconsistency when he smelled it. He frowned as he watched the small conversation. So far, it consisted of Zozma trying to think of ways to get into space and save his buddy; the main problem was that they had no rocket, and the shard was gone. And no one was ready to try building a rocket, yet. Blue was valiantly trying to argue these crucial points. Unfortunately, logic never went far with Zozma.
 
Ildon understood quickly that if he wanted to know more, he'd have to find a way to talk with Rouge privately. That meant getting Blue and Zozma out of the way, first. The latter was easy; throw a potato chip, and he'd fetch it forever. But Blue was far more difficult. Blue was Rouge's own brother, and he knew when and where his little brother was in danger. If he thought for a second that Ildon would harm him, Blue would never let the two be alone. Ildon had to think carefully about how to approach this. Then it hit him. He didn't need to think at all. They had something they needed to find right there. All he had to do was convince Blue that he was a decent partner for Rouge…
 
Ildon waited until darkness finally fell. With the shard released, time had once again begun to march forward, and though the sun was slow to set, it finally met its due course. There was no better time. By then, Zozma had managed to find some form of food for them, and with what little knowledge Blue had about camping, they were able to start a fire and cook their meal. Now, Zozma was fast asleep, and both Orlouge and the Time Lord were discussing what they should try to do next, concerning the shard and where to head. Ildon found Blue alone, putting the fire out as Rouge went to dispose of the carcass.
 
“How're you feeling?” Blue asked calmly, seeing Ildon out of the corner of his eye. Ildon stopped for a moment, slighted by the question. Normally, Mystics didn't bother with this sort of talk unless they wanted something. Or unless they were Rastaban. Quickly, the green-haired man shoved the thought away before it brought tears to his eyes.
 
“I am… better,” Ildon said slowly, and then looked away, toward where the shard had flown off, “But I'm concerned. Orlouge wants to find that shard.”
 
“As do we all,” Blue replied simply, dumping a heap of dirt onto the last few embers, and stomping it soundly, “But it fell over the cliffs. There's no doubt it landed somewhere out of reach, don't you think?” Ildon hummed. He hadn't seen much of the terrain, but he didn't think the mountain was particularly steep. Unless it landed in a gorge, the shard had to be somewhere. It was just a matter of where.
 
“That's why I intend to search,” Ildon told him, and Blue looked up, “And I would like to take Rouge with me.” As he expected, this caused a great deal of worry in Blue. It wasn't that he distrusted Ildon, but Blue understood that Rouge was far more fragile than himself. If Ildon pushed him the wrong way… Blue shook his head, crossing his arms.
 
“Not without me,” the blonde stated firmly, unyieldingly. Ildon frowned. He knew Blue would be the over-protective big brother. He also knew there wouldn't be much to convince Blue to let Rouge go. He had to try something.
 
“He knows something,” Ildon said darkly, and Blue's brows creased in agitation, “Listen to me. It is obvious Ciato's disappearance weighs on him. He wants answers, and perhaps if I take him, he'll get them.” Blue softened a bit. That was true enough, and he had seen it within his brother as well. But he couldn't bring himself to question; he knew Rouge wouldn't lie unless it was urgent. This clearly was worse than it seemed.
 
“So you see it as well,” Blue whispered, and coughed, “Very well. If you think it could help Rouge…”
 
“I'm not sure what can, but we need to know the truth,” Ildon cut in, and for once, his emotion showed in his voice, “Rastaban is dead, but Ciato may still live. He… they deserve to know the truth, and so do we all.” Blue couldn't disagree. He nodded.
 
“I understand. I'll be here if you need me,” he told the Mystic, and then looked down, “Just… do not push him too hard. Whatever he knows, or whatever he thinks… Rouge won't tell us if he feels threatened.” Ildon could only smirk. Ciato was the same way, only he was much worse about it. He sighed, and then patted Blue on the back. For once, working with humans wasn't so bad.
 
“I'll do my best to help him and to find that shard,” Ildon promised, and he was sincere, “And… thank you. I was sure you'd stop me.” Blue snorted, and his eyes softened a bit. In truth, he almost had. But there was more than one person who felt loss in this, and it wasn't just Ildon or Rouge. It was himself, Fuse, and many others who lost those they loved dearly.
 
“We've all lost those close to us,” Blue began, “You've lost Rastaban, Rouge has lost Ciato - and I do believe somewhere he does love him - Fuse has lost Silence, and I've lost Princess Lion. It would be selfish if I didn't let you do this.” Ildon nodded, but his eyes went distant. What Blue said confirmed what he felt; Rouge had to be hiding something if he truly cared about Ciato. But how bad it was, only Rouge would know. For the time being, Blue's cooperation was more than enough.
 
After saying farewell to Blue, locating Rouge was an easy task. He was close to a small brook further down the east side of the mountain, where the cliffs were not so steep. In truth, it was much like a large hill - grassy, with only softer declines and a few jutting rocks to block their passage. The land was relatively dry as well; the desert only a few miles away carried much heat that spread far and wide in this world. The chance of falling directly to their deaths was slim to none. That was all the better, in Ildon's calculating mind.
 
When he finally located the young mage, he explained that Blue wanted them both to find the shard. At first, Rouge seemed thoroughly confused by the request, but he didn't take long to trust in his brother's judgment. Ildon hated exploiting that one weakness within the twins, but this was far more important. He had to know what Ciato's role in this whole catastrophe was, and if Rouge knew of it, he'd go to any level to find out. Even if that meant tricking them both. Besides, it wasn't exactly a lie. Someone had to eventually find the shard. No one would mind if it happened to be both a Mystic and a human.
 
For the first few minutes, the hike was silent as Ildon picked his way down the hill, toward the semi-bottom floor. He had to be careful now. He knew approximately where the shard had fallen, and if he wanted his ploy to be convincing, he had to make it look as if he was actually trying to search for it. The good news was, Rouge was far more naïve than his older brother. He'd believe pretty much anything so long as it made sense, and it was difficult for things to not make sense to the boy. Deciding that shadows were the best way to go in case something went wrong, Ildon snuck around outcroppings of the bigger rocks, while Rouge kept to the high ground and used their vantage points to scout the ground for anything that would glitter in the moonlight.
 
The truth of it was, there wasn't much to see. For now, they were in a flat grassland that stretched for a few miles before spanning off toward the forest in the east-southeast, or toward the desert directly south. The mountains cut off the view of the north, but Rouge knew the crystal couldn't have fallen there. He, along with Ildon and Blue, had seen where it had been tossed off the edge; it was no more than a few miles from where they were, but the direction they should take was questionable. Even with a moderately-sized search party, it could take days to uncover anything of importance. Which begged the question of why Blue would send only the two of them out.
 
“Are you sure we'll be able to find it?” Rouge finally asked, when Ildon came out from under a dark niche and looked up at him, “I'm not seeing much of anything, save for grass and the trees in the distance.”
 
“We've got to try,” Ildon reminded him, but inside, he knew his luck wasn't that good. Rouge may have been naïve, but he had obviously seen some flaws in Ildon's plans. One of them was that this place was just too damn big for two people. Quickly, he added, “I thought it'd be best that we go while we still have strength. Most of the others are asleep.” He had looked away, and did not see that Rouge was eyeing him suspiciously.
 
You thought?” he repeated, and at his tone, Ildon's eyes widened, “You said this was Blue's idea.” So much for being convincing. Ildon now knew why Mystics hated tricking humans. Unless they were particularly charming, they just weren't good at it. Or perhaps that was a problem Ildon shared alone. He cursed himself a thousand times for it.
 
“It was. But I was the one who suggested not sending out a big party,” Ildon lied, “We don't exactly know what happened to the shard, and if it summons another tyrannosaurus after us, a bigger party only invites trouble.” For a moment, Ildon wasn't sure if Rouge believed him. If he hadn't, he didn't show it, for he simply shrugged and jumped off the rock, landing next to the flustered Mystic. Then he looked near the forest. Not even a day ago, he and the Time Lord had been terrorized by the resident trees while searching for the shard in question. In the dark, it looked even more intimidating, and even from there, the mists coiling on the forest floor were visible.
 
“I hope the thing didn't land in there,” he said pointedly, and at Ildon's quizzical glance, he said, “There's treants living in the woods. Blue barely killed them before the rest of our magical reserves ran dry.”
 
“So humans are affected by that lack as well? I was worried that magic might disappear,” Ildon told him worriedly, and his brow knitted together, “Let's hope luck's on our side and we find the shard, or we may come back to four dead Mystics, myself included.” Rouge could only look ahead. Ildon had not mentioned Ciato, and Ciato was also in danger, if magic was disappearing. Once again, he knew there was a reason the white-haired man was left out.
 
They walked only a few yards from the rocks before Rouge took up another site at a ledge which held a drop of only twenty feet below. Here, he felt he might have more luck; there were a few places the shard could have been hidden, and in the shadow, the moonlight would reveal a tiny sliver of glass. Ildon clearly agreed, for he slipped into the shadows instantly when he saw Rouge take up the spot on the tip of the tallest rock. Here, he noticed the ground was slick with dew. At first, he was going to chalk it up to the frost that may have collected in the shadow, but then he realized that it was too warm for even that. Something else had caused it, but this world was too dry for rain. If it had rained, the upper ledges would have been far more treacherous.
 
Ildon eyed the forest Rouge had warned him of. He didn't miss the coils of green mist, and while it was far away, the breeze could easily carry that mist over this way. There was little to obstruct the path; rocks were all there were, and any updraft would defy that meager defense. It was possible the mist could reach here. And if that were true, so could any horrible effects from the mist. He couldn't be certain, but Ildon understood that mist was a dangerous conduit for disease of the soul. Grey mists often accompanied the undead, and a black mist indicated evil of the worst kind. A green mist could kill, or at least infect, anything with whatever it carried. That could explain the treants very easily.
 
He told this to Rouge, and the young man's reaction was to escape before Ildon was proved right. But in the darkness, Rouge couldn't remember where they had come, and Ildon wasn't ready to give up the search. It had barely been an hour, and Blue might wonder what went wrong if they came back with absolutely nothing, either physically or informational. Ildon was also quick to remind him that the forest was miles off. Treants, while powerful, were very slow and could only actually attack with their branches or with uprooting their feet. They were safe, until morning. And that was only if Blue didn't start looking for them. Rouge was reluctant, but he gave in to the Mystic's reasoning.
 
They moved westward after that, parallel to the mountain and away from the forest's edge. The moon was higher now, and the light from it was brighter. The shadows were thinned as a result, and Ildon was dismayed at the thought of staying within that light. It'd make it easier for anything hostile to spot them. But the light put Rouge at ease, and so the Mystic offered no complaint. Comfort often led to communication, and that was his prime goal, after all.
 
“So,” Ildon began conversationally, when they stopped at one spot that held a soft glow, “Why're you so worried about Ciato all of the sudden? Are you afraid he's involved?” It was a valid question, but not the best time to ask. Rouge froze for a second; Ildon barely caught it.
 
“…not really,” Rouge lied slowly, passing it off as just regular hesitancy, “I mean, anything could have happened. I'm just worried because he's been with us for a while.” Ildon wasn't convinced. He didn't know Rouge well, but he knew him enough to know Ciato was a pain in his ass.
 
“You sound like you had some ideas before,” Ildon said, remembering Blue's words and trying to figure out which questions were best asked, “Maybe they could help us sort this out. We're all worried about him.” Rouge was aware that Ildon was looking for something. It was rare enough for the man to show anything other than contempt for Ciato. Sympathy was too out-of-character, even if Ciato was… had been his lover before.
 
“Not really. I'm just trying to find some way to help,” Rouge said, glancing at the older Mystic, “I mean, the possession thing? Come on, could that actually happen?” He chuckled a bit to throw Ildon off guard, but Ildon was smarter than that. They both knew possession was a common problem, especially in the darker worlds where shadows ruled. Ildon looked away, his lips thin. This was starting to turn into a bad idea, nothing more than a game of cat and mouse. And he disliked both animals in question.
 
“It's something,” Ildon grumbled, watching Rouge carefully, “Do you think it could have happened to him? You think that is what happened?” Rouge bit his lip. He knew it was, that it was a darker part, the darkest part of Ciato that did this. Ildon had him.
 
“I'd hate to think he's out there, possessed by some demon,” Rouge finally whispered, and it was the absolute truth, “He might never survive.”
 
“Except that you know he has,” Ildon said suddenly, gravely, and Rouge started, “Rouge, I know you know something. Stop stuttering and tell me the truth. You know what's happened, don't you?” Rouge's skin looked as white as a banshee's, and he was shivering now. Perhaps that was a bit harsh, but Ildon didn't have hours to spend bantering with a human. He wanted answers.
 
“…maybe I do, but I won't risk anyone killing Ciato. What happened wasn't entirely his fault,” Rouge said firmly, and looked away, “The mind is a fragile thing. Anything could cause it to snap.” Ildon digested that carefully, and nodded. At least this was a start. Anything more would be a plus, he figured.
 
“Ciato's mind snapped?” Ildon asked, and when Rouge didn't answer, he said, “I won't kill him. I just need to know what happened.” Whether that was enough or not was irrelevant. Rouge obviously felt someone else needed to know about this, because he obliged.
 
“I think it did. I'm not sure what went through his head,” Rouge began quietly, looking down, “But I saw him. He pushed the Time Lord out of the way, and decimated that terminal they were using. I don't know how, or why he did it, but he's the one who caused this.” Rouge couldn't even bring himself to look at Ildon. If he knew the Mystic right, he had a feeling Ildon wasn't going to forgive Ciato at all. And for a while, Ildon was completely silent.
 
“So he killed everyone we know?” Ildon asked quietly, and Rouge's silence was enough of an answer, “And you're trying to protect him.” Rouge flinched. Put that way, it was more an accusation than anything else. But it was the truth, and Rouge couldn't deny it at all. He wanted Ciato to be safe, because he understood the horrors a mind could go through. He was out of it for three months when Blue managed to revive him. Hell only knew what Ciato would end up like.
 
“What did you want me to do? Kill him?” Rouge asked, just as accusingly as Ildon had been. But Ildon was tougher, and didn't back down. His frown only worsened.
 
“I wanted you to tell us the truth so we didn't face this,” Ildon said sternly, almost in a scold, “Ciato is out there, half out of his mind, and there's not a damn we can do. We can't even find the shard we need now…”
 
“And that is not my fault!” Rouge yelled violently, and Ildon stopped, “You're going to blame me for all of this? That's rich, for a Mystic.” The last part, Rouge spoke softly. But it hit Ildon as if he'd been screaming it. Ildon's eyes widened, and for a moment, Rouge thought he saw tears springing in them. Obviously, he cared more about Ciato than he wanted to admit. And for a reason Rouge couldn't grasp, that angered him a bit. Ildon was always bickering with Ciato, and he was the one who said Ciato would get what he deserved. Why was he so upset about it now?
 
“…you have no idea what we've even been through,” Ildon said quietly, and turned away, “If you care about him so much, you'd have asked if he even cared about you.” He walked down the sloping hill, leaving Rouge to stand there in silence. The mage knew that was meant to hurt him, but he understood that the words had no basis. Ciato protected him on multiple occasions, and was even somewhat kind to him when he wanted to be. That was more than he could say for the green-haired Mystic. Though, he also had to admit, Ildon had known the man for centuries. Rouge knew him for less than three months.
 
Rouge didn't bring it up again. He followed Ildon down the hill, closer toward the edge of the wood, but he didn't say anything. He knew it'd be suicidal. Outwardly, Ildon seemed to have gotten over it quickly, but Mystics were like that: smoke and mirrors. No one could ever truly know what they were thinking. But if Rouge had to guess, he was willing to bet Ildon wouldn't mind running him with a sword. That thought sent shivers up his spine, as they continued down. Eventually, Ildon slowed; they were coming particularly close to the wood. But whether it was out of worry or simply out of whim, Rouge couldn't say.
 
Ildon stayed for several moments, however, and sniffed the air. Something didn't feel right to him, as if some shift in the current was off. Rouge watched him, tilting his head. Mystics had a good sense of smell, but when Rouge tried, he couldn't smell anything. And by the look on his face, neither had Ildon. But the Mystic didn't move. Instead, he knelt down, drawing an intricate rune on the floor. It sparked for a moment, and then it just died. Ildon's frown worsened.
 
“What's going on?” Rouge whispered, but his voice cut through the air regardless. Ildon glanced over, as if considering whether to even answer him. Then, he smiled weakly, pointing to the rune. It seemed to be burned into the dirt.
 
“I can feel the magic coming off of the shard,” the Mystic replied, and then added, “But I can't tell where it's coming from.”
 
“A rune could change that?” Rouge inquired curiously, and when Ildon stared, he said, “I've studied runes from Devon, and none of them consist of tracking spells. Any others are in languages I can't read.” At this, Ildon gave a smirk. That was because most runes were based off of the old language, older than Mystics, older than any other race alive. Only a select few were chosen to learn it. And only a few more managed to steal the scripts translating those runes. Ildon was of the latter. And Rouge understood it quickly.
 
“Then you probably can't get me arrested,” the green-haired man said darkly, and then turned back to the rune, “Anyway, the rune I've used should have pinpointed the location, but it appears that the power of the spell is drained before it can be achieved.” Rouge nodded. That made sense. Normal means of magic were impossible; if there was something absorbing magic, then anything that took even a fraction of a second to cast would be swallowed as well. Ildon was prepared for this. He took something out of his pocket. It glinted slightly in the moonlight.
 
“Now what?” Rouge asked him, and eyed the object. It was a crystal, a tiny, little shard that was attached to a fine, silver chain. Though it looked frail, Rouge knew the tool well. He had been forced to use it when he was seventeen, some four years ago. And he had never wanted to see it again, now or ever as he asked, “A pendulum?”
 
“Crystals are sentient, and they can conduct the spectral energies quite well. That's why necromancers and shamans use them so often,” Ildon explained as he focused the crystal's tip directly over the center of the rune, “The shard of time carries only spectral energy, because time isn't physical. My pendulum should be able to pick it up.”
 
“But I thought pendulums could only answer questions about the indefinite future,” Rouge stated, his brow arched in confusion, “When I was forced to use one, my teachers told us the pendulum was used to bring answers from the spectral planes, and that they moved only in accordance to a yes-or-no answer.” At this, Ildon laughed. To a normal human, that was the only reason to consult the other planes. But for Mystics, such tools were far more valuable. He simply shook his head. If only Rouge had been trained by Rastaban, he might have a clue as to the power they held.
 
“That's because your teachers were a bunch of ignorant, blithering morons who couldn't tell a crystal ball from a beholder's eye,” Ildon told him flatly, and then looked down at his pendulum with an affection that he rarely showed for anything, save for Rastaban, “When you think of it, this is a yes-or-no question. Will we find the shard? Yes. Will we find it in this spot? No. Will this pendulum help us find it? Yes. You see?” In truth, Rouge didn't. But it was easier to agree than to ask anything further. He'd learn firsthand how it worked soon enough.
 
And indeed, what Ildon said was true. The pendulum helped them locate the shard. At first, the tiny crystal didn't move when Ildon asked for the location. Rouge had thought that perhaps it wouldn't work, but then Ildon rephrased his question; he didn't ask `where was the crystal,' rather he asked, `can you help us find it.' And that was when the pendulum worked, because that was a question that could only be answered with a yes or a no. The pendulum shot out of Ildon's hands, going northwestward at an alarming speed. Ildon watched it, eerily worried that perhaps it would dive straight into the living wood. But at the last second, it took a sharp turn, heading almost directly west, vanishing around the round corner of the hill.
 
Not wanting to lose it, Ildon and Rouge ran after it. The field before them erupted in a soft, orange light, as if the dawn were just breaking beyond the mountains around them. But a quick look in the sky told them it was only a trick of some sort; the stars twinkled, though dim, and Rouge saw that darkness enveloped the horizon; dawn was many hours away. The orange light was emitted by a small object embedded on the ground. And the pendulum stopped, dropping to the dirt right next to it. Ildon and Rouge came to a halt, the former squinting his eyes in the extreme burst of illumination. It hurt his sensitive eyes to behold such a powerful glow.
 
Not wishing that pain on Ildon, Rouge bent down and scraped the object in question out of the dirt, wiping it clean. It took no time to see that it was the shard they were looking for. Its surface was still smooth, but despite the bright light, it was cold to the touch. Rouge stood there, looking at it for a long moment. He had never felt it before, but he had assumed such powerful artifacts would have been warm from the energy they gave off. Now he was worried that they were too late.
 
“It's cold,” he said to Ildon, turning and holding out the tiny shard, “Are they supposed to be that way?” Ildon took the crystal in his hand, turning it in the moonlight. The orange glow had been extinguished the moment it was recovered, and while some of its power was gone, it still had many, many reserves left. Yet, it was deathly cold.
 
“I'm not sure, but we can always ask the Time Lord,” Ildon replied, but something in his voice said he wasn't convinced of that. Rouge caught it.
 
“You're worried, too,” he concluded, and at that, the Mystic nodded, putting the shard in his pocket. Even beneath two layers of cloth, the chilly crystal penetrated all the way toward his skin. Ildon visibly shivered.
 
“I've never been near a relic like this,” Ildon admitted after a long pause, “So I can't be sure of what will happen or how it works. The important thing is that we have it. Now we can try and figure out how it will work.” Rouge's brows arched as he considered the tone. He had also assumed that someone would know how to activate the shard's powers; the Mystics seemed to know the most about magic, after all.
 
“Neither Orlouge nor the Time Lord know?” he asked. Ildon looked at him. He didn't need to even answer.
 
“We have what we need,” was all the Mystic said, before turning toward the incline, stepping up as easily as if he were going up a stairway, “Come. Your brother might be getting worried, and I am growing tired.” Rouge said nothing. He knew Blue was concerned about him, but right then, he had too many questions running through his mind concerning the shard. One of them was if they could even use it. If the Time Lord didn't know how to, how were they expected to unlock it?
 
As he followed Ildon back toward the cliff faces, past the rolling meadow they had come from, Rouge couldn't help but look back. As glad as he was that they had found the shard, something about that light nagged at him. It was as if it were a warning, not a calling. The best thing to do would be to give it to the Time Lord. And for some reason, even thinking that made Rouge nervous.
 
Through a thought he didn't know he had, a bond that he didn't know existed, Rouge understood that the crystal should not be used.
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
After regrouping, Rouge finally tells the team that something may be up with Ciato, and that he knows something about it. But perception is not the team's best strength, and only Ildon and Blue catch onto Rouge's subtle hints. With Blue's permission, Ildon has managed to get some information concerning Ciato's disappearance, and now with the shard of time in hand, he and Rouge can return and consult the Time Lord about its use. But something isn't right, and Rouge can feel it. Something doesn't want the crystal to be used. What is trying to contact Rouge, and why doesn't it want them to return to their time? Is it Kylin, telling them he isn't finished with the repairs on the terminal? Or is it something else, something far more sinister? Find out next chapter, and click that Review button!