Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Bubblegum Crash Fan Fiction ❯ Senshi Sabers ❯ Chapter 10

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part Ten
 
"I still think this is a really bad idea," Makoto Kino said, the brown haired woman sitting beside Ami in the sports car. Ahead of them Infinity Tower rose far above the sprawling city, a gleaming structure of glass and metal.
 
Ami shrugged slightly, keeping her eyes firmly on the road. Only yesterday she had been invited by Hotaru Tomoe to visit here, sparking a lively debate among the Senshi Sabers. In all honestly she had bee pleasantly surprised at the concern the women showed towards her.
 
'Especially Rei,' Ami had to admit. She looked over at Makoto and smiled slightly, "It's not like I could really refuse the invitation, you know."
 
"I know," Makoto conceded. She smiled grimly, "That's why we decided that I'd come along as a kind of bodyguard."
 
"You mean you three decided," Ami corrected with amusement, "I don't seem to recall being given much choice in the matter."
 
"You think we're going to let you go into the lion's den itself all alone?" Makoto questioned. The car began to follow the curving ramp that went up the outside of the tower as she continued, "We can't afford to loose you, Ami."
 
"The Senshi Sabers could continue," Ami said, glad that the car's scramblers were working, "the data is backed up in Mercury and with a third party."
 
"I mean," Makoto gave her a scolding look as they coasted to a stop on a parking level near the top of the tower, "Minako and I would miss you as a friend."
 
They got out of the car, pausing a moment before walking towards the entrance. "And Rei?" Ami found herself asking.
 
"She'd miss you for the annoyance value," Makoto said impishly.
 
Ami just had to chuckle at that comment.
 
Waiting for them there by the entrance was a red headed woman, dressed in a stiff business suit. Kaori Knight had a coolly professional smile and a searching gaze as she offered her hand and said, "Miss Mizuno, it's good to see you."
 
"Thank you," Ami shook the woman's hand, noting that she had seen an announcement in the papers that this woman had just been promoted to executive director. 'So what is such a high ranking company officer doing greeting me?'
 
"And you are?" Kaori looked to Makoto a bit more coldly.
 
"Makoto Kino," she sounded more amused than anything else by Kaori's tone, standing much taller than her, "I'm an friend of Miss Mizuno's."
 
"She was a bit worried, but I like having a friend," Ami put a subtle emphasis on the last word, "around who's so concerned about me."
 
Kaori blushed faintly, misinterpreting the relationship exactly as Ami intended. "Of course," she lead them inside as she continued, "I'll take you to where Miss Tomoe is waiting."
 
"So what's Tomoe like?" Makoto asked as they walked down the hall.
 
"She shared a great deal in common with her father, the former Chairman," Kaori answered firmly, "I'm sure she will lead Infinity well."
 
'A very diplomatic answer,' Ami noted mentally.
 
The halls of the tower around them were oddly comfortable, decorated with fine art and paintings, but still it was all cold steel and glass. The plush carpet barely made a sound as they walked, a faint scent of oil and machinery in the air beneath the perfume.
 
They reached a set of doors and Kaori raised her hand to knock when a voice came over the speakers. "Welcome Miss Mizuno, Miss Kino," the woman said, "come in."
 
The doors opened automatically, revealing a modestly sized office. To one side a couch, table and chair were waiting, while on the other a desk was set nearby the window, a young woman sitting there. Hotaru Tomoe got up and went around the desk to greet them, her shoulder length black hair being gently blow by the breeze. The black dress the slim woman wore was business wear but still looked good on her, even with her pale color.
 
"Miss Mizuno, I've been looking forward to meeting you," Hotaru took Ami's hand and shook it gently, her smile warm.
 
Ami smiled back coolly, "Charmed."
 
"Miss Kino," Hotaru turned, "I understand that the Megatokyo martial arts community lost a great competitor when you retired."
 
Makoto didn't let much of her surprise show at being recognized as she commented, "I still run my school, so it's not so much of a problem."
 
"It still annoys me to see our Bio-Boomers being misused in that way," Hotaru said to her conversationally, "and I hope to find out who did it so that they can be punished."
 
After a moment Kaori smiled slightly and asked, "Miss Tomoe, would you like me to remain here for the discussions?"
 
"Please," Hotaru gave Kaori a smile, "at least some of what we'll be talking about will involve your duties, too." She gestured the women over to the couch and chairs, "Please take a seat, I've ordered tea to be sent up to us."
 
Ami and Makoto sat down together on the couch, Hotaru and Kaori taking the individual seats. Almost on cue a Bio-boomer arrived with the pot of tea, the young woman pouring them cups, setting out snacks and then leaving silently.
 
"I suppose you're wondering why I asked you here," Hotaru said, taking a delicate bite of her cookie then washing it down with tea.
 
"I was," Ami cautiously agreed, "my family hasn't been associated with Infinity since my mother stopped working here."
 
Hotaru put her cup down on the table as she quietly said, "After my father's death I came into possession of his private files, information that has never come into the public eye."
 
Ami drank some tea, feeling a flash of excitement. "And?" she asked calmly.
 
"Your mother was killed I an car accident shortly after she began to take steps to protect her rights over the Bio-boomer designs," Hotaru sighed softly, "information in my father's files indicate that she was murdered."
 
"Miss Tomoe, I still think that discussing this is a bad idea," Kaori cautioned her employer.
 
Hotaru tossed Kaori a gentle smile, "We have to stop the rot somewhere, Kaori. I choose to do it here and now."
 
"What do you intend to do with this information?" Makoto asked intently, a bit surprised by Ami's shocked silence.
 
"Release it to the press," Hotaru said promptly, "along with the AD Police, in hopes that they can re-open the case."
 
Kaori was looking with concern at the still silent Ami. "Are you all right, Miss Mizuno?" she asked her quietly.
 
"Sorry," Ami shook herself a little. Playing the relative innocent she said, "I always wondered if something unsavory had happened, but I was never sure."
 
"Of course," Hotaru answered. "I know that this is a lot to take in," she said softly, "so I intend to give you time to digest it, but I do have a proposition for you."
 
"Yes?" Ami did her best not to sound too wary.
 
"Looking through some of your mother's files I got the sense that she had a vision for Bio-boomers and their peaceful association with humanity," Hotaru said gravely, "one I'd like to bring about with your help. I'd like to offer you a position with the company, rank and title to be determined, to help us accomplish that dream."
 
Ami drank a bit of tea, setting it down with a soft clink. "I'll need time to consider it," she said, "but I thank you for the offer."
 
A Bio-boomer arrived as Hotaru smiled. "Take as much time as you need," she said as she handed Ami a car with her private phone lines on it, "though I hope you accept." She gestured to the Bio-boomer, "This one will escort you to your car."
 
Kaori waited a few moments before softly saying, "She wasn't quite what I was expecting."
 
Hotaru smiled slightly as she gazed out the window, watching the car driving away. "She was exactly as I expected," she answered, "Ami Mizuno is clearly the woman behind the Senshi Sabers."
 
"So what do we do about it now?" Kaori asked.
 
"Do our best to bring her and her associates in," Hotaru answered, "we'll need all of their help when Mistress Nine finally awakens."
 
To be continued....