Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Love In A Ruined World ❯ Happy Birthday, Trunks! ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: Neither DBZ nor Sailor Moon or any of the characters are owned by me. They're owned by greedy old men without families. Blah.

NOTES: This fanfic takes place after Sailor Moon Super S (in Sailor Moon's world) and after Trunks returns to the future after the Cell Saga (in DBZ's world).

Reviews:

Buu: Actually, Trunks probably really never had the chance to kill Devourer, except when Serris fell from the top of Devourer's head. Trunks probably shouldn't have chased after him... ^_^ But he was mad. And the androids I was talking about were Androids 19 and 20. I know that Trunks says they never show up in his timeline, but how would he know, he was a baby then! I think that Trunks' timeline goes just like the other one did, except they didn't prepare for the androids and Goku ended up dying.

Roll_Iris: Yup, bad for Trunks... hope it gets better for him!

Mi: Thankies! Thanks for reading!

Myst Lady: Sorry I didn't tell ya! I thought you'd find it on your own... I usually check up on the authors that write stories I like pretty often, but... glad you found this one!

Kaiya: Welp, I do try to do that for a few words. Sometimes it's either not necessary or appropriate to do that though, at least I think so... but I'll try to do it more!

Jacques Rico: Trunks didn't have the Senzu Beans when he went out. They were at his house. If he had gone back and gotten them he still wouldn't have gotten back to poor Keri in time to save her.

Ryuko Dragonhalf: Thanks for reading and reviewing! *hugs* Serris and the Devourer are dead now! But now more bad guys (girls, actually) are after Trunks! Will they attack this chapter? Hmmm....

NessacusGirl: Sorry it was so sad! ^_^ So many people died... *sniffs* Glad Trunks avenged them, though! Thanks for reviewing! I love ya!

---

Trunks lay face down on his bed, the bed that Ami had been sleeping on for the past four days. He picked up a single tiny strand of blue hair from the pillow. He sighed.

"Ami, it's not your fault..." Trunks said to himself. "It's people... monsters... whose only desire is to gain power for themselves at the expense of innocent people."

He rolled around so that he was looked up at the ceiling. He sighed again.

"If I had been able to find that monster faster.... sense its ki or something..."

Trunks clenched his fists.


"I should have been able to stop it!" Trunks shouted. "Why couldn't I sense its power? Was it using the same type of energy that Ami uses? Was it using magical energy?"

Trunks pounded the bed in frustration.

"I'm supposed to be the strongest warrior around, but I can't even detect energy other than ki... that monster's attacks seemed a lot stronger as well," Trunks said. "What's the secret? Why is ki so ineffective against magical energy?"

The door creaked open. Ami stepped into the room with a concerned look in her eyes.

"Trunks, I know you're probably still angry.... if you don't want to see me, I understand," Ami said sadly. "If-"

"It's fine," Trunks replied. "Look, Ami, I've got something to tell you."

"Trunks, what is it?" Ami asked. "Say anything you want...."

"It's not your fault, Ami," Trunks said reassuringly. "Not at all."

"Trunks, it is my fault. If I wasn't here, neither that warrior or that huge monster would have ever come here," Ami said. "I'm probably responsible for the deaths of thousands of people... a bunch of towns... your friend's dad..."

"It's true that those monsters came here to get you," Trunks said. "But if they hadn't come here, they would have attacked your city. Your city has millions of people, more people than everyone on this planet ten times over. If that beast had set Tokyo ablaze, millions would have been killed."

"But that would have been my problem," Ami said. "I dragged you and your friends into it..."

Trunks sat up on the bed. He held up the blue hair that he picked up earlier.

"One of yours, I presume?" Trunks asked. "Mine's purple, you see..."

"A couple of them usually fall out when I take a shower," Ami said. "I took one last night."

Trunks stood up, letting the hair fall to the floor.

"I swear, if any of those creatures from that gate attack my world again," Trunks said angrily, "I will personally rip them apart with my bare hands."

"I'm sorry I haven't been much help," Ami said. "If the other Senshi were here, we'd be able to defeat all these monsters.... I miss them so much...."

Ami began sobbing again. Trunks put his hand on her shoulder.

"I promised you I'd get you home, Ami," Trunks said. "I've been thinking of ways to get you through those gates that wouldn't get you hurt, but I haven't figured anything out yet."

"You'll think of something," Ami said. "I know it. You and your mother are both very smart."

"Thanks," Trunks said, taking his hand off of Ami's shoulder. "I probably won't be ready to go back to town for a couple of days... I still feel really bad about what happened there...."

"Trunks, Ami, supper!" yelled Bulma's voice from downstairs.

"Welp, I'm pretty hungry," Trunks said. "You feel like eating, don't you?"

"I guess so..." Ami replied.

---

Meanwhile, in Crysthea's throne room, Rosemary, Angelica, and Chamomile were having a spirited discussion with the queen.

"Serris is dead! He's history!" Rosemary chanted.

"It's our turn! Our turn! Our turn!" Angelica said, dancing happily.

"We'll beat the crap out of Sailor Mercury and her little boyfriend!" Chamomile said. "We promise!"

"Excellent," Crysthea said. "That fool Serris lost one of my best monsters."

"We won't need any monsters!" Rosemary said happily. "We're unstoppable!"

"We need a few days to plan, though! We've got a lot of fun stuff we wanna try out on Sailor Mercury and her meddling pal!" Angelica said.


"You'll give us a few days, right?" Chamomile asked.

"Alright, but when you do go after Sailor Mercury, I want results," Crysthea said. "Failure will not be tolerated!"

"We won't fail!" Chamomile said, slightly offended.

"We'll kill Sailor Mercury and make her boyfriend our boytoy!" Rosemary said.

"Fun fun fun fun fun!" Angelica added. "You can count on us!"

The three girls disappeared in a bright and colorful flash of light.

"They're the strongest soldiers in my army," Crysthea said. "But I do hope they know what they're doing."

---

That night, at the Briefs' home...

"It's been a long day..." Trunks said tiredly, lying down on the couch and pulling a blanket over himself. Just as Trunks was about to fall asleep, Ami, dressed in Bulma's blue nightgown, walked up to him.

"Trunks, I just wanted to apologize again..." Ami said.

"Ami, I already said it's not your fault," Trunks replied. "I want to sleep..."


Trunks turned around, away from Ami. Ami moaned sadly. Trunks turned back around to face Ami.


"Ami, wait a minute.... I have a question for you," Trunks said. "I couldn't sense the Devourer because it was using magical energy..."

"I see," Ami said. "You can sense ki energy really well, but not magical energy."

"Right," Trunks said. "The kind your enemies use. Anyway, I was wondering if maybe you could work with mom so that she could find out how magical energy works. That way, I could fight the monsters that come out of that gate better."

"I'd be glad to help, Trunks," Ami replied.

"Thank you," Trunks said. He leaned back against his pillow and fell asleep.

"He's really worn out," Ami said softly. "Poor guy..."

---

Three days later...

"That was a wonderful breakfast, mom," Trunks said. "I've decided to go back to the town today and help them rebuild... I probably should have gone back earlier, but...."

"You were feeling guilty," Ami said. "Trunks..."

"Alright, Trunks," Bulma said. "Ami, come into the kitchen. I want to talk to you personally."

"Alright," Ami said.

"I'll wait up," Trunks replied.

"No, just go on," Bulma said. "I'm sure Ami can catch up."

"I'm leaving, then," Trunks said. "Bye!"

Trunks left the house and slowly walked toward the nearby town. Ami stepped into the kitchen and sat down at the table, across from Bulma.

"Remember what day it is?" Bulma asked.

"No," Ami replied.

"You probably wouldn't," Bulma said. "Anyway, it's Trunks' birthday today."

"Oh, right!" Ami said excitedly. "You're giving him that training pod today, aren't you?"

"Yes," Bulma said. "I want you to keep Trunks in town for a few hours so I can get his party ready, okay? It won't be too much, of course..."

"I'll do the best I can, Mrs. Briefs!" Ami said. "Wow, and I haven't even bought him a present..."


"The training pod will be his only present," Bulma said. "He's eighteen now. And besides, there aren't many things around anymore that would make a good present..."

"I'll try to get him something," Ami said. "I guess I have to go catch up with him now, though!"

Ami ran out of the house and dashed toward the town.

---

Trunks walked down the streets of the village, into the center of town. Many of the buildings had been damaged or destroyed by the Devourer's attack, but Trunks noticed that, almost immediately, the people worked hard to rebuild their homes. They were on the roofs of the houses with hammers and nails, working together to repair each other's dwellings. Trunks noticed one house immediately. A middle-aged looking woman wearing a brown bandanna was sitting on the roof of the house, nailing boards onto the roof in places that had been damaged by the fires. He waved to her.

"Hey, Trunks," the woman shouted. "How are you doing today?"

"Better, I guess," Trunks said. "Look, Mrs. Kotashi, I'm really sorry about your husband. If I had destroyed that monster sooner, he'd still be-"

"It's alright," the woman said. "You did your best. And if you hadn't destroyed that thing when you did, the whole town woulda been wrecked. If you wanna see Chris, he's inside."

"How's he doing?" Trunks asked in a concerned tone.

"He's coping as best as he can," the woman said. "He really loved his father."

"I'm really sorry," Trunks said again. He walked into the house to see Chris sitting in a chair. He appeared to be working on a gadget of some sort.

"Who is it?" Chris asked in a monotone voice.

"It's Trunks," Trunks said.

"Go away," Chris said resentfully. "You could have saved my dad, but you didn't. And then you left without even staying to help us rebuild."

"I understand," Trunks said. "But-"


"You don't understand!" Chris shouted, hopping out of the chair and turning to face Trunks. "You don't know what it's like to have one of your parents die after you actually knew him for sixteen years. You never even knew your dad."

For a split second, Trunks' expression changed to one of pure rage. But before Chris noticed, Trunks calmed down. He clenched his fist.

"Now you know what it's like to lose a father," Trunks said through clenched teeth.

This statement enraged Chris. He dashed at Trunks and pounded him in the chest with his fists repeatedly until Trunks grabbed both of Chris' wrists, stopping his angry assault. Chris turned his head away from Trunks and began sobbing. Trunks released Chris' wrists and stepped back.

"I'm sorry," Trunks said apologetically. "I really shouldn't have said that."

"Just go," Chris sobbed. "Get the hell out of here..."

Trunks slowly backed out of the house. He walked out the door and continued to walk away without a word.

"Is he alright?" Chris' mom asked.


"I don't want to talk about it," Trunks replied, continuing to walk down the street.

"While you were inside, your blue-haired friend came by here," Chris' mom said. "She's headed for the church, I think."

"Why didn't you stop her and tell her where I was?" Trunks asked.

"I didn't realize it was her until she was way past me," Chris' mom said. "I think you can catch her, though."

"Alright," Trunks said. "Look, tell Chris I'm really sorry..."

"It'll be alright," Chris' mom said. "I still haven't gotten over it fully yet... I probably never will.... but Chris has really been taking it hard. I'm sure he'll want to talk to you soon."

"I sure hope so," Trunks said. "Now to find Ami."

---


Ami walked down a narrow dirt road that led out of the village.

"Why am I coming this way?" Ami said to herself. "I guess I didn't realize I had left the town..."

Ami began to turn around, but before she did, she saw a small, stone building a short distance away. She began walking toward it.

"It looks like a church," Ami said, stopping in front of the stone building. "Hmmm..."

"Ami?"

Ami turned around to see Trunks, floating in the air in front of her.

"What're you doing way out here?" Trunks asked.

"I got lost," Ami said. "You have a church in this town?"

"It was built a couple of years ago," Trunks said. "The people of this planet used to worship a creature who was known as the guardian of the Earth, but a few years back, he was publicly tortured and killed by the androids. That's when the people began to worship a new, unseen, omnipotent and supposedly immortal deity."

"I see," Ami said, looking very interested.

"My mom once told me that the guardians of the universe were beings called Kais, but I really don't believe in any deities," Trunks said.

"Why not?" Ami asked.

"If there really was a kindly and powerful being, out there, or up there, or wherever, it would have killed everyone and not left a few hundred thousand of us here to suffer," Trunks said angrily.

"You've got a point," Ami replied. "But maybe there's a reason that there are people still alive on this planet."

"There is a reason," Trunks said. "Me."

Trunks chuckled to himself.

"We should probably be heading back home now," Trunks said.

"We can't go home yet," Ami thought. "Bulma said to keep Trunks out here for a few hours. It's only been thirty minutes..."

"Why can't we stay and help the townspeople rebuild?" Ami asked. "Isn't that what you said you'd do?"

"I guess that when Chris and I argued, I kinda forgot," Trunks said. "I probably should help... it's my fault the town got damaged so much. Alright, let's do it."

Trunks and Ami walked back toward the town. Ami looked back and glanced one last time at the church, then, re-entered the town with Trunks.

---

Later that day...

"We're home!" Ami said, walking into the Briefs' home with Trunks.

"Something smells really good," Trunks said. "Really sweet..."

Trunks walked into the kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" Bulma shouted. A small cake with several candles in it was sitting in the middle of the kitchen table.

"Wow, mom... thank you!" Trunks said, walking up to his mother and giving her a hug. "I kinda forgot it was my birthday!"

"I knew!" Ami said happily, stepping into the room. "Happy birthday, Trunks!"

"We got the flour, eggs, milk, and sugar for the cake from Mr. McGarrity," Bulma said. "You blocked one of the blasts that was about to hit his house!"

"I didn't really watch which houses I was saving," Trunks said. "I saw Mr. McGarrity in town today, I was wondering why he didn't want to talk to me. I thought he was angry..."

"He didn't want to spill the beans about the cake, I guess!" Ami said.

"I guess we should start eating now," Bulma said, taking out a knife.

"Wait!" Ami said. "We have to sing the Happy Birthday song, don't we? And Trunks has to blow out the candles!"

"We haven't done that since I was a little boy," Trunks said sadly. "It really didn't seem right, with the killer androids running around and all..."

"C'mon, Trunks!" Bulma said. "Let's sing!"

"Okay," Trunks said.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you," Ami and Bulma sang. "Happy birthday dear Trunksie! Happy birthday to you!"

"Trunksie?" Trunks chuckled.

"It was the only thing that would fit into the song," Ami said, giggling. "Now make a wish and blow out the candles!"

"I wish that Ami will get back home safely so that she can be with her friends and family," Trunks wished, blowing out all ten candles that were on the cake.

"You did it!" Bulma said happily. "You blew out all the candles! So, what did you wish for?"

"If he tells us, it won't come true!" Ami said.

"Oh, I forgot!" Bulma said. "Don't tell, Trunks!"

Bulma picked up the knife and cut the cake into six slices. She gave two to herself, two to Trunks, and two to Ami.

"Thank you, Mrs. Briefs," Ami said, picking up a slice of cake and taking a bite out of it. "This is delicious!"

"Thanks, you guys!" Trunks said happily. He quickly ate the two slices of cake. "Mmmm!"

After Trunks, Ami, and Bulma had finished their cake, Bulma stood up and pushed her chair back under the table.

"Trunks, I have a present for you," Bulma said. "It's downstairs in the basement!"

"Really?" Trunks asked. "A present?"

Trunks, Ami, and Bulma walked up to the basement door. Bulma opened the door and walked downstairs, followed by Ami.

"Stay up here, Trunks," Ami said. "And no peeking!"


Ami and Bulma walked down into the dark basement, while Trunks stood on the top step.

"Can I come down now?" Trunks asked in a slightly impatient tone.

"Alright, come on down!" Bulma shouted from below. Trunks walked down the steps until he reached the bottom.

"I can't see," Trunks said. He flicked the light switch that was on the wall behind him. What he saw caused him to gasp in excitement.

"Like it?" Bulma asked. Bulma and Ami were standing in front of a large, blue pod that was about eight feet high and twenty feet in circumference.

"It's a training capsule!" Ami said. "Your mom's been working on it for years!"

Trunks walked up to the capsule and looked over it.

"A training capsule?" Trunks asked. "Like the one my father used to have?"

"Yes, only much better!" Bulma said excitedly. "It can handle forces of up to 1500x Earth's gravity, it can contain even the most powerful blasts, and its internal space flux simulator can simulate any environment and make it seem like the capsule is fifty times bigger than it really is! Also, while training inside, time passes twice as slowly! An hour in there is only thirty minutes in the outside world!"

"Astonishing..." Trunks said.

"It can also generate holographic opponents, including simulations of your past foes," Bulma said. "Frieza, the androids, even the Devourer and Serris from a few days ago."

"Can it generate multiple copies of them at once?" Trunks asked. "I'd like to try my hand against a hundred of those Devourers."

"Yes, it can handle several hundred copies of each foe," Bulma said.

"Isn't it nice?" Ami asked.

"It's wonderful," Trunks said. He walked up to Bulma and hugged her, then kissed her on the cheek. "Thanks, mom."

Trunks walked up to Ami and hugged her.


"And thank you for coming to my birthday party," Trunks said.

"You're welcome, Trunks..." Ami said. "Are you going to try out your new present tonight?"

"No, not until tomorrow," Trunks said. "I'm feeling pretty tired, actually."

"Can I watch you train tomorrow?" Ami asked.

"I'd like to watch as well," Bulma said. "I had Ami test last night it by fighting Serris."

"I almost won, really!" Ami said. "The pod works fine. It's very realistic!"

"Well, thank you both," Trunks said. "Goodnight, all!"

---

Upstairs, in Trunks' room, Ami was just getting settled for bed when Trunks walked in.

"Hey, Ami," Trunks said. "I need to ask you a question."


"Yes, Trunks?" Ami replied.

"Have you and Bulma found any secrets to your magical energy yet?" Trunks asked.

"She did a few experiments on me where I transformed and she tried to channel some of my energy into a glass jar, but it didn't work," Ami said. "Bulma said that you need magical energy to channel magical energy."


"Has she done anything else?" Trunks asked.

"She used that scouter to take all kinds of measurements of my magical power level, but we couldn't really find anything yet," Ami said. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," Trunks said. "A week ago, I promised I'd get you home in two weeks. It's already been a week, so I have seven days left. Tomorrow, I have six days."

"Trunks, it doesn't matter when you get me home," Ami said kindly.

"No, Ami, I promised I'd get you home, and that's what I'm going to do," Trunks said.

"You're really determined, aren't you?" Ami asked.

"I've come up with a plan of my own to get you home," Trunks said. "When the next gate appears, we'll both go through it together."

"What?" Ami shouted. "But Trunks..."

"If we do show up in the enemy's hideout, I can destroy the enemy forces. Then, we can capture the sorceress that's making the gates and force her to make a gate that sends me back here," Trunks said.

"But what if she tricks you into making a gate that takes you somewhere else?" Ami asked.

"I'll make her go in first," Trunks said.

"I guess it sounds like a good plan..." Ami said. "But most of them use magical energy. You yourself said that you couldn't battle magical beings as well as-"

"It might be hard, but I think I can do it," Trunks said. "I have to keep you from being hurt."

"I see..." Ami said.

"The problem is, none of the enemy forces have shown up in three days," Trunks said. "That's good, I guess... but we need one more of them to come so that we can use the gate."

"Maybe they gave up," Ami said.

"They're probably just regrouping," Trunks said. "Well, anyway... good night, Ami. And thank you for everything that you've done for me... I promise to get you home in seven days."


Trunks turned around and walked out of the room, closing the door.

"Thank you, Trunks..." Ami said quietly. "Thank you ever so much..."

---

Meanwhile, Crysthea was standing next to her crystal-filled table again. More than four-fifths of the crystals had been shattered.

"Argh!" Crysthea shouted in frustration. "Those Senshi have destroyed almost all of my forces! Every monster I send gets destroyed..."

Suddenly, a large billow of smoke appeared near the other side of the table. Rosemary, Angelica, and Chamomile appeared.

"We're done!" Rosemary shouted.

"All done planning! Tomorrow we attack!" Chamomile said gleefully.

"It's a foolproof plan," Angelica said.

"Excellent!" Crysthea said. "After you kill Sailor Mercury, come back here. Don't worry about killing the boy. I'll need you three to help kill the other Senshi."

"We won't kill the boy," Rosemary said. "Unless we have to!"

"He's probably too cute to kill! All the strong ones are hunks!" Angelica said.

"Whatever you do, don't come back until Mercury is dead," Crysthea said. "DEAD!"

"Dead! Dead! Whoohoo!" the three evil girls cheered.

---

That's all for this exciting chapter! Remember to read and review if ya want! Hee hee! ^_^