Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Full Moon Wo Sagashite Fan Fiction ❯ Matter of Time ❯ Chapter 2 - Deception? The fortune house is a youma's mansion! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

An outing on the town should have been a spectacular event for Usagi Tsukino. If anything, she'd always lived a sheltered life, and it wasn't every day that she got to go shopping. With such a strict aunt, she'd never been able to have fun like a normal girl, and it was finally going to be her chance.

Actually, what should have happened and what actually did were two entirely different things. Instead of having a great time, she'd found the boy she loved most... and then promptly lost him again... Usagi found herself barred from her only love, by a furious Takuto

**

Chapter 2 - Deception? The fortune house is a youma's mansion!

"Out of the way, Takuto, I have to catch Motoki-kun!" She tried to push by the older boy but was pushed back gently. "Onegai!" She gasped and her hands instinctively went to her throat, but she shook her head in frustration. She wasn't about to let her throat keep her away from him. Not after two years of wanting to talk to him. "MOTOKI-KUN!"

Takuto watched as pure agony flashed in the crystal blue depth's in front of him. Why was she so dedicated to the memory of that guy? Instead he shook his head as he prevented her from giving chase, "That's not him."

Slowly, ever so slowly, Usagi stopped struggling against Takuto's grip. "Not him?" Instantly tears started to appear in her eyes and she began to shake her head. "That was him… He said he heard me singing, he came to find me…" She had the look of a lost child searching for reassurance as she glanced up at Takuto. "It had to be…"

Takuto could almost feel something inside him breaking. He knew his words would shatter the fragile hope she was clinging onto. He was going to be the one that caused more tears to fall from her eyes; he hated himself as he answered her soft plea, "It was Meroko… Every shinigami has the power to disguise their selves."

"Meroko-san?" Usagi slowly loosened her tight knuckled grip on the folds of Takuto's jacket and took a step backwards. She felt the tears welling in her eyes and blinked them away as she forced a smile, "Of course… I should have known. How would Motoki-kun know that I've become a singer already?"

Each tear that trailed from her cheeks, felt like a lance to Takuto's heart. How could Meroko do something so cruel? At the thought of Meroko's cruelty he was reminded of his own. "Hey…" He watched as those tear-rimmed eyes focused on him and a smile was forced to her lips. Why wouldn't she just let it out? "I didn't mean what I said earlier… about him dumping you."

Usagi nodded, she didn't trust herself to speak. How could the pink-haired shinigami do that? But… she had to admit, despite how much it hurt now, she hadn't been that happy in a long time. It had almost been like she was right there with Motoki-kun again. "Don't worry… I'll find him. You'll help me, won't you, Shinigami-san?"

He gave a short jerky nod. How could this girl forgive so easily? If someone had just deceived him, and another person had said something so cruel, he wouldn't have just forgiven them. "Yeah… But don't call me shinigami-san anymore… My name's Takuto." He snapped his fingers and one of the whistles she was admiring earlier appeared in his hands. "Here, take this… if you ever need me and I'm not around just blow on it. I'll hear it no matter where I am."

Usagi slipped the necklace over her head and nodded. "Arigato, Shi… Arigato, Takuto." The smile that came to her lips wasn't a forced one; in fact it came easily and lit up her face. "I wonder where that weird student went..." She glanced around for the boy with the glasses but was unable to spot him. "I swear he was right here…"

"Usagi-chan?" Wakaouji's eyes widened as he spotted the girl out alone as he did some shopping. "Usagi-chan…" His tone was one of disappointment and simmering anger. He had given strict orders for her to stay in bed. "Why aren't you in bed?"

"Wakaouji-sensei!" Luckily, Usagi didn't have one of her relapses as she gasped. She wasn't expecting him to appear! "I wanted some fresh air, and decided to go shopping… I heard from one of my classmates the other day that there was a sale going on…"

Wakaouji shook his head with a sigh. "Usagi-chan, it's not safe for you to be wandering around when you're in such a condition. You could have fainted or gotten a cold or even a fever. I told you to stay in bed for your own good. At this rate I really will have to drag you into the hospital to keep an eye on you…"

Usagi colored in shame and stared at the ground as Wakaouji led her to his car. "Gomen ne… But I really am feeling better now, Wakaouji-sensei…" She glanced at him and smiled. "So you don't need to tell Obaa-san about this…" Her words trailed off as she noticed a certain black cat. "Luna? What's Luna doing in your car?"

He chuckled as he opened the door for her. "It was the strangest thing… I came to check on you and she bolted out of your backyard. She even had a rope of some sort on that she gnawed through; she searched all throughout the house for you. I've never seen an animal so worried for its owner." He picked up the black cat and placed her in Usagi's arms. "I won't tell on you this time, Usagi-chan… But don't let it happen again. I'm only going to cover for you for so long; if you continue disregarding my rules and put your health in danger I'm going to have to come clean."

Usagi winced at the thought and glanced away. "Hai…" What was she going to do if Wakaouji-sensei ever discovered her secrets? There was no way he'd let her be… what was it that Luna was calling her before? Oh yeah, the 'champion of justice', but if she was forbidden from the role what would she do for all those that could be hurt and killed by those monsters? Unconsciously her fists clenched so hard they were starting to shake with her inner torment. If risking her life would save others… She would do it. She didn't see any other choice… She couldn't let others die…

"Usagi-chan?" Wakaouji glanced over at his suddenly solemn passenger and grabbed one of her small hands with his much larger one, "Usagi-chan, what's wrong?" He pulled the car to a stop and studied the shaking blonde. "Are you in pain?"

Usagi glanced at the worried doctor and shook her head slowly. No, she wouldn't burden him with this. She'd figure out a way to protect everyone from those monsters, and to fulfill her dream. She wouldn't even begin to think of what she'd do if she was forced to choose one or the other. She was going to make this work, "I'm fine… I was just feeling bad about disobeying you… Gomen nasai, Wakaouji-sensei."

A soft chuckle and the car started up again. He knew she was hiding something, he could tell when she did such a thing, but for now he was going to let it go. She was safe and sound, and that was the most important thing.

**

Takuto knew Usagi was in good hands with the doctor and let her go by herself. He had another matter to take care of… An important one, he easily found her on the roof of a nearby building curled up into a ball and biting her handkerchief. "I can't believe you…"

It was easy to see that Takuto wasn't pleased with Meroko's antics and the female shinigami winced at his fierce glare. But didn't she deserve this? That girl had been willing to say no to her beloved to continue to fight to achieve her dream. "I… I thought she would agree to give singing up and it would make our job easier when the time came." Meroko latched onto the quickly worded idea and straightened in confidence. "You know how hard it would be to look after her if she continues being a singer, right? Besides, that word in the book is probably something related with singing."

Takuto practically tore the book from the blabbering shinigami's hands and held the book up to the sun. "M?" He frowned as he studied the letter. "It's getting clearer, Meroko…"

Meroko's dark pink eyes narrowed as she snatched the book back. "M? Maybe it's for youma… We have to stop her from fighting those Takuto; she's going to get killed if she keeps it up."

"Now you care about her?" He knew the words were harsh but he was still too upset with her to just let it go. "I know you didn't change into that guy just to distract her, Meroko. Just admit what you did was cruel and apologize to her."

Meroko puffed up and got to her feet. "I'm not apologizing, besides I didn't do anything worse than what you did! Why are you so worried about her Takuto? Are you really in love with that… that… human?" She could barely utter the words in her mix of fury and sense of loss. What if he admitted that he did care for her? It'd tear her heart into shreds…

Takuto stared at his partner blankly for a moment before taking a step backwards. "In love with her? What are you talking about…? It's not like that at all!" He noticed her taking a closer look at him and scowled in irritation. "Why would I be interested in a runt like her?"

Meroko brightened at once and latched onto his arm. "Especially when you have someone like me, ne? Ne?" She rubbed against his arm and smiled. Of course, why would Takuto be interested in a silly human girl? There was no reason for him to be, he was still hers.

Takuto sighed. There was no way of winning with her. She wouldn't listen to a thing he said. "Aren't you going to apologize to Usagi?" He was relieved when she let go of his arm and he could feel the distinct sensation of his hand gradually regaining feeling. It was a good thing he was dead or she could have cut off his circulation with such a stunt. "Before you start about what I've said to her… I've already apologized when she tried to chase after you and kept yelling the name of that guy of hers why she struggled to get past me."

"You protected me?" Meroko smiled at this development and was ready to latch onto his arm again when she realized Takuto had already taken off. "Hey! Takuto, wait for me!" She demanded as she flew after him, the pink book in hand all but forgotten as another letter slowly began to take place.

**

Home again, and all alone. Wakaouji had only stayed long enough to make sure she went to bed before he informed her that she'd be returning to school tomorrow. Oh joy of joys. What was she going to do if Luna needed her? Speaking of the cat…

"Honestly, Usagi-chan, I'm ashamed of you. You know you're sick and yet you still went out who knows where. You could have been hurt or injured, then what would we do about the Moon Princess and the Dark Kingdom? Be more serious."

Usagi sighed. A lecture, just what she needed. Why was everyone so concerned anyway? Hadn't the shinigami told her she would die in a year? So nothing should happen to her right? She'd be okay… She pulled out the image of Motoki and curled up on her bed as she stared at it. Her fingers lightly brushed the worn face and she felt tears trailing down her cheeks. She had really thought she had found him at long last. She wanted to see him so badly… "Motoki-kun…"

Luna paused in her tirade to realize her charge's attention had drifted. "Usagi-chan, what are you looking at?" She lightly hopped onto the bed and padded to the girl's stomach to catch a glance at the photo. "Boys? Is that all you have on your mind? First you run off, now you're ignoring me and staring at pictures of boys. Will you please pay more attention?"

Usagi reluctantly gave her attention to the feline and gently lay the photo down. She'd find him, and she'd find him before her time was up. She'd do everything she could to make her wish come true. "Luna… Are you sure no one else can do this?" She let her fingers graze her aching throat as she stared out of the window into the inky darkness. "I don't think I can for very long…"

Luna scowled, "Will you stop being such a slacker? I've already told you you're the only one that can do this, so stop trying to duck out of it. I know you have a problem with your throat but you're going to have to bare it. Sailor Moon is desperately needed and without her people will die; their blood will be on your hands."

Usagi winced at the words and glanced away only to come face to face with a sorrowful Meroko. She started to speak when she realized Luna's lecture had come to a stop and the cat was being booted out of the room by an annoyed Takuto. A faint smile flickered to her lips and she bowed slightly to Meroko. "Arigato… You disguised yourself as Motoki-kun to make me feel better, ne?"

Tears quickly appeared in Meroko's expressive eyes and she hugged a startled Usagi as she cried. "Gomen nasai, Usagi!" She wasn't sure when it happened, but as she cried on the girl she could feel the distinct sensation of having a warm hand rubbing her back. She'd do her best to never hurt this girl again. "I'm really sorry…I swear I'll never do it again, gomen nasai!"

"It's okay…" Usagi smiled and pulled back as she held out her hand. "And call me Usagi-chan… We're friends, ne?" The girl was absolutely puzzled as the shinigami broke into more sobs and hugged her tightly around the middle. Why was she so upset? It wasn't like she had did anything wrong, she had done it for Usagi's sake after all so why was the shinigami expecting anger? But at least… at least now she had a friend, it had been so long since she had one, not since Motoki-kun. No one wanted to be friends with someone who was in such poor condition that she could easily pass away one night, that had been the reason her aunt had moved her here, a new chance to start fresh. Maybe this was a sign that she was meant to stay…

**

Usagi awoke to the realization that for once her throat didn't feel like it was on fire. For the last few days it had been painful. She'd have to be more careful if she was going to last to be this 'Sailor Moon' character. She noticed something warm in her arms and glanced down to see a plush bunny happily sleeping besides an equally cute plush cat. "Kawaii," she whispered as she tucked the blanket securely around the two before sneaking off to get dressed and ready for school. How would they accept her after running out on a punishment?

**

Obviously not very well... Usagi had been queried on her health from the teacher when she had stepped through the door. But as soon as she had assured them all was well… It was like a volcano had erupted. Her teacher raved at her in front of the entire class for ditching school and dodging her duties as a student.

Usagi was horrified as she heard students snickering. Her eyes were glued to the floor as the woman went on. Actually… she kind of reminded Usagi of Luna. As she thought of the similarities she accidentally giggled.

Could she have made a worse mistake? Luck was with Usagi for once as another student crept up behind the teacher and flipped her skirt up to show off her childish panties. As the teacher squawked in shock and shame and rushed out the door Usagi turned to thank her rescuer when she realized who he was. "Ah, it's you… I'm sorry I don't remember your…name…" Usagi's words came to a shaky halt as the odd boy walked towards her and backed her up against the window. What was he doing?

"Usagi-chan, you can call me whatever you want…" He leaned close until her back was scraping the windowsill. "So where do you want to go for our hot date?"

Usagi turned a startlingly shade of red and tried to backpedal away but found herself stuck. "Anno….Umi….Umino-san, yes, that's your name, isn't it?" She questioned as she forced a laugh and glanced around for an escape. What was with this kid? It was almost as if he was possessed. "I'm sorry but I don't date."

"Really? That's too bad…" Umino turned to leave and waited until Usagi breathed a sigh of relief before whirling and grabbing her arms and holding them immobile above her head. "So you're just going to have to apologize with a kiss."

"K…K…Kiss?" Usagi squeaked and tried to break his iron grip on her. Who would have believed someone like him was so strong? "I… I can't… I've nev…" Her words trailed off as he and his lips came closer. She shrieked and closed her eyes as she struggled even more. She couldn't let her first kiss be from someone like this!

In an act of desperation the girl pushed the boy as hard as she could with her legs, and in that split moment he let go to protect his self, she slid away from him and to what she perceived to be a safe distance away. "What's wrong with you?" She snapped her usual sunny demeanor shattered by his insane and cruel actions. "I don't even know you!"

Umino smirked and his earlier pain was forgotten. "Don't worry, Usagi-chan, you're going to get to know me, you're going to get to know me very well…" He started to advance on her again but by this time the blonde had gained her senses and was attempting to fend him off with a potted plant. His lips curved into a superior smirk and he laughed. "That's all you have?" He grinned and with one hand slapped the plant out of her hands and through the window, breaking it.

Usagi gasped in pain as shards of glass flew throw the air, and a stray one grazed her arm leaving a scarlet trail in its wake. Another piece of glass was deflected from striking her face and a startled Usagi glanced up to see a less than pleased duo of Takuto and Meroko glaring fiercely at Umino. "Takuto… Meroko…" She felt herself shudder as Umino's attention was once again upon her.

"Who are you calling for, Usagi-chan?" Umino smirked and brushed fallen fragments of glass off of his uniform. "Everyone left, there's only you and me…" For a second he clutched his chest where a dull red glow was lighting up his shirt and fell to one knee. What was going on? "Usagi-san?"

She stopped her shivering long enough to force herself to take a closer look at her attacker. He didn't look the same as he did before… In fact he looked as scared as she was. "Umino-san? Are… are you okay?" her question was never answered as their voices were drowned out by the sounds of students outside the second floor window. "What's going on?" Usagi turned away from Umino and walked over to a window.

Or that had been her intention. Midway through her walk she had been grabbed from behind and violently shoved to the floor by her classmate. "Usagi-san!" Umino's voice pounded in her ears and as she lifted her head she noticed a shower of glass as the rest of the windows were broken by all sizes of rocks and stones. "Are you okay?" he winced as he held his head and carefully stepped away from the girl. "I think… I think you should get out of here, and hurry. Something's going on…I'm not myself, Usagi-san." He bowed to her as he kept his eyes averted and raced off as fast as he could before the mysterious power took him over again.

"Oi, chibi, you okay?" Takuto knelt down beside her and checked her over as Meroko built a temporary barrier around them. "Did any more of that glass hit you or did that kid hurt you?" Takuto was still trying to decide what he felt about the boy. One moment he had tried to force himself on Usagi and the next he was saving her and getting cut up in the process. The shinigami had noticed the shards of glass that had scattered over the boy's exposed back when he had dived for the girl. What was going on? It couldn't be the work of a shinigami…

"Usagi-chan, henshin yo!" Luna commanded as she raced into the room and to her charge. "You have to put a stop to this! Yours is not the only school affected. Schools are all over the area are being taken over by students with red glowing pockets! It's time for Sailor Moon!"

She glanced down for a second and only a second. In that time she allowed herself a brief respite from the horrors that had been forced on her. She knew what she had to do and even if it brought unbearable pain…. She'd do it. "Hai," she responded as she reached for her brooch. "Moon Prism Power…. Make UP!" the scream tore from her throat and she closed her eyes during the transformation to stop the well of tears caused by the pain. But she was the only one that could do this. She wouldn't let everyone down.

"Baka!" Takuto was in her way in an instant as Meroko took his usual role of getting rid of the cat; this time in the form of a potted plant falling over and a spider racing out to bite Luna's tender tail. "You can't go out with your throat like that… or I'll make you," he threatened as he snapped his fingers.

They stared at each other, he shocked and she solemn as she offered a wane smile before dashing out of one of the windows. Why hadn't it worked? Was this other transformation the stupid cat gave her so strong that it couldn't be broken by his blood? But… what was more powerful than a shinigami? The cat wasn't an angel, that was for sure, but what else could explain it?

Meroko sighed and shook her head. "We have to hurry after her Takuto, that cat is going to make us lose our jobs!" she quickly pulled out the pink book and stared hard at the word. Now a 'O' was next to the 'M.' She snapped it shut with a scowl. "I still think the word is youma… what are we going to do, Takuto?" she whined her eyes starting to go teary. "If you fail at this mission then…" she was cut off as Takuto turned away from her and floated out of the building. "Baka Takuto…" Meroko clenched her fist in anger but rushed after her partner. She would just have to work harder to make sure this mission succeeded

**

Sailormoon was wobbly on her feet as she arrived at her destination. Thinking really wasn't her strong suit but .she remembered the last time she had ran into Umino and he had called her 'Usagi-chan' was when she had been in the city and he had been coming out of a fortuneteller's house. A rather elaborate one if memory served her correct… Normally those kinds of details wouldn't have been noticed by her, but she had thought she had found her Motoki-kun after all. It seemed her hunch was right because there was a crowd entering the place all with glowing red cards in their possession.

It was easy to blend in with the crowd and sneak through their midst. Not one of them seemed aware she was even there so she really didn't have a problem getting in. But only when she got inside did she realize just how big of a problem it was. Umino was here and along with him was at least half of every school within a mile radius. It scared her.

A woman was talking to the group with a smile on her lips. Her dark hair spilled over her shoulders and dazzled the eyes. Her outfit was a simple shawl like garment that reminded one of a breezy fairy. But her eyes… her eyes were glowing red and so were the cards in everyone's hands!

"Umino-san…" Sailormoon winced as she saw him cackling. It seemed he had lost his battle with his self and was now fully under this woman's control. "Hold it right there," she demanded as she wade her way through the people and into a clear spot. "I'm the pretty suited warrior for love and justice, Sailormoon… and in the name of the moon I'll punish you for turning these good kids bad!" her voice rose a little at the end and she winced faintly at the sensation.

The woman laughed and pulled out a deck of cards that she passed from one hand to the other. "Sailormoon?" she questioned with a faint smile. That smile was still on her lips as she tossed the deck at the unprepared girl.

Sailormoon fell to the ground as the razor sharp cards embedded their selves in the wall around where she had stood. It was so scary… "Takuto… Meroko…. I'm scared," she whimpered as she got to her feet and tried to put on a brave front. "Is that all you've got?" she demanded as she grabbed for her tiara.

Again the woman merely laughed. The people around her started to get glowing yellow eyes and she cackled as her skin turned green and her luxurious hair turned into two ugly pair of malformed hands. The group turned on her like some sort of demented marching band and slowly cornered the heroine. "Now, Sailormoon, you die," the youma foretold with a mocking smile.

A red rose zipped through the scene and the students froze and stared blankly ahead. "What?" Sailormoon glanced around cautiously as she fought the shivers that had surfaced when the students had started to grab at her. She could still feel the grips of their many hands on her flesh. Another moment and she could have gotten hurt. "Whose there?" she looked around until she spotted a stranger leaning against the wall in a tuxedo.

He smirked and looked straight at her. "No matter how hopeless the situation, be strong," he encouraged before simply turning and leaving. He didn't notice the blank look of Sailormoon, or the annoyed one of two furious shinigami. "Farewell till we meet again," he called over his shoulder as he gave a dismal wave to the shuddering girl and walked out of her sight.

Meroko watched stunned as Takuto tried to use his powers against the woman and utterly fail. "Why… why won't it work?" she demanded. She even tried using her own powers but nothing was stopping the woman that had her eyes set on the still shocked girl. "Usagi-chan look out!" Meroko warned as the hands made a grab.

Meroko's warning saved her a lot of pain as she watched the hands crash into the place she had been moments before and utterly demolish the area. "What am I going to do?" she whispered as she took a step backwards and her back met the wall. Maybe that tiara trick of Luna's would work… She hated the idea of how much pain it would probably bring but she was desperate. She only wanted this fight over so she could go home and cry her eyes out. "Moon Tiara…. ACTION!" she screamed as loud as she could as she threw her tiara with as much force as she could muster.

The tiara hit and with a resounding shriek the youma turned to dust before her eyes. She collapsed to the ground losing her transformation and hugged her knees as tightly as she could as she held her aching throat. It hurt so badly, she was in agony on top of everything else. Why did she have to be the chosen one for this? She was barely normal before any of this had started and now it was just getting worse and worse. "I… I just don't want to do this anymore," she whispered more to her self than anyone else present. "Please, Luna… find someone else… anyone else."

Luna had been shaking her head since the first line. "There is no one else, you are the only one that can be 'Sailormoon'… don't you realize that you just saved everyone's life that is here? Look, see that? They're starting to wake up now."

Usagi got to her feet with some assistance from the silently fuming shinigami and weakly made her way out. As soon as they had left the building and were away from others eyes Takuto snapped his fingers and her transformed persona blinked as she looked around shocked. "It doesn't hurt anymore…" she smiled brightly at the thought and stretched in her new body. It was wonderful not feeling like you were dying any longer. "Arigato," she whispered to Takuto as the doors to the psychic house opened and the crowd of confused students started to stumble out.

**

Usagi was thankful the next day was school was out as she really didn't feel like going. Unlike the first time her throat had ached so much she hadn't told her aunt about it this time. She didn't want to have to spend more time in a hospital than she needed to. It was amazing just how much better she felt being in a different body than she felt in her own. The pain was as sharp as ever and yet it wasn't as depressing to her as before because she knew that her two friends would switch her to the other body if she couldn't handle it any longer. They were true friends. 'Motoki-kun… what would you think of them?' she wondered as she stared and daydreamed at the old moon calendar. 'Motoki-kun… I'm going to do my best as both this Sailormoon to keep everyone around me safe…. And to sing for you…. So hurry up and find me, ne? I'm waiting, always waiting for you.'