Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Full Moon Wo Sagashite Fan Fiction ❯ Matter of Time ❯ Chapter 4 - Jadeite's Ploy ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four: Jadeite's Ploy

Jadeite paced his dark stone room. Something hadn't seemed right in his last battle. It wasn't just the addition of that other sailor senshi, though she had been a shock, but it had to do with Sailormoon. She seemed weak... sick even. The way she had collapsed after screaming had started his wondering. Did she have some serious condition? He and the other generals had done moderate amounts of study on their prey; know your enemy and all that, humans didn't usually fall over gasping for air after screaming. And all of this gave him an idea.

Of course Beryl wouldn't just let him capture his problem without providing energy for the Dark Kingdom. She was still hell bent on fueling their leader with energy and freeing themselves from their current prison. But in his opinion it was more important to flatten the obstacles in their way instead of working around them. His plan should take care of two birds with one stone... and he wouldn't even have to waste but a single youma. No, he was going to be seeing to this task personally. He was going to kill that little moon brat with his own hands. His crimson lips curved in a smirk and he chuckled in amusement as he imagined wringing her puny neck. He was going to get his revenge.

**

Takuto sat on the end of Usagi's bed with his chin resting in his palm as he studied the sleeping girl. She had been in a lot of pain the previous day because of what the cat was doing to her. His eyes flickered to the beast that was starting to stir and he scowled. He wasn't about to let that demon mongrel hurt the kid this day. He floated over to the sleeping girl and froze. Two twin trails of tears twinkled on her cheeks with the light from the morning sun. "Oi, chibi, wake up," he softly ordered as he reached out a hand and shook her.

With a whimper Usagi's eyes opened and she squinted at the person shaking her. "Takuto?" her whisper barely reached his ears and she sat up startled as she put a hand to her aching throat. She had genuinely thought that the pain she had experienced yesterday could not be rivaled, but she was wrong. What she was feeling now was unbelievable. The only thing she could try to compare it to would be if someone was pouring acid down her throat. Fresh tears trailed down her cheeks and she wiped them away.

"Hmm... what's the commotion about?" Meroko demanded as she stretched her plush arms and popped back into her shinigami form with a yawn. "Is it morning already?" she seemed to notice Usagi's state and she gasped and leaned closer to the girl. "Usagi-chan, daijoubu?" she queried as she tried to see what the problem was. "Takuto, what'd you do to her to make her cry?" she demanded as she whirled on her partner.

Takuto turned red at the accusation and stared at Meroko in shock. "Eh?" he demanded as he shook his head. "I didn't do anything to the chibi! It's her own fault for trying to save the world... As if they actually appreciated it," he snorted at the last words and crossed his arms over his chest in defiance. "Meroko, check out the shinigami handbook again. Are there any changes yet?"

Meroko blinked and quickly pulled out the handy pink book. When had Takuto gotten so commanding? "Here," she found the red word and her eyes widened. "Oh no! Takuto, look! More letters have appeared... it says moon... I can't make out the rest of it yet but those words letters spell moon!" she turned towards the silent Usagi and showed her the book. "See? We can't let you keep hurting yourself."

Takuto felt his rage climb another notch. "Listen chibi, we agreed to help you. I promised you I'd help you fulfill your dream but if you're going to keep pushing yourself towards death over people you don't even know, you're going to die. You're going to die before you find Motoki, and you'll die without resolving anything. What good is a dead heroine to anyone?"

Usagi winced from the lecture as she thought. "There's no guarantee that it's Sailormoon," she softly interjected as she let her gaze fall on her hands that were clenching her sheets in a tight knuckled grip. "I mean... it could even mean Full Moon. And even if it does mean Sailormoon... Takuto, Meroko, you two have to understand. I can't turn my back on people if it means they'll die!" her eyes widened in agony as her voice rose at the end of her speech and with a cough she held her aching throat and rocked herself on her bed. "Please," her whisper was even softer than before. "You've got to understand."

As Takuto snorted, Meroko looked from one to the other and started to pull out her handkerchief again before an idea came to her. "Usagi-chan, will you do something for us?" she requested and paused as she the door knob turn.

Ikuko poked her head inside and studied the scene carefully for a moment. "Usagi-chan, did I hear you scream?" her eyes were narrowed and she watched with a frown as Usagi merely shook her head. "You hurt yourself again, didn't you?" she demanded with a sigh. "I hate having to do this to you, but you have to learn, Usagi. We're doing our best to keep your healthy and you keep being careless. That's why you're grounded today. I don't want to see you take a step out of this room except to eat with the family. You have to learn to be more careful or you're going to end up in the hospital and I doubt Wakaouji-sensei has time to take care of a careless child like you."

Usagi wrenched her gaze from her aunt's hurt eyes. She knew the woman only wanted the best for her but… It was true... She was hurting her family by disobeying and trying to be Sailormoon. But she didn't have a choice! She couldn't just turn her back on everyone to keep herself safe... it wouldn't be right. As her aunt left she sighed and looked out the window as her mind replayed the last battle. She was hopeless against Jadeite... she could have died if it hadn't been for the intervention of her friends.

Takuto snapped his fingers in front of the girl's eyes and watched as she was jerked back to reality. "Oi, chibi, we want you to do us a favor." As she narrowed her eyes in defiance at him he felt his teeth grit together. Why wasn't this kid thinking about the big picture? "We don't want you being that Sailormoon anymore."

"At least until your throat gets better," Meroko piped up and ignored the glare Takuto sent her way. As much as she was against Usagi being this heroine, she had kind of realized how important it was when she had been forced to defend the girl. Surely Usagi couldn't be the only fighter, and when they found the others... Usagi could quit.

"Only for today," Usagi agreed. After all she was grounded. There was little chance she'd get the opportunity to stumble onto a youma anyway. "Is that okay, Takuto?" she felt bad for arguing with him but why couldn't he understand it wasn't just about her? She hoped he'd accept this deal...

Takuto wasn't happy with it but he nodded. "Fine..." he noticed the cat twitch and his eyes narrowed. What was the deal with this beast? Why had it picked their charge to torment? There were thousands of healthy girls in Tokyo it could have chosen instead of one slated to die in a year.

Luna stretched at the foot of the bed and twitched her ears in annoyance. Obviously this girl, her charge, she reminded herself with a grimace, wasn't in the best shape to fight the Dark Kingdom... But that gave her no right to shirk her duties and get in trouble! "How," she softly questioned as she turned in a graceful circle and pinned Usagi with her crimson eyes, "do you plan to fight the Dark Kingdom if you're grounded to your room all day, Usagi-chan?"

Usagi blinked at the cat. So... she had heard. "I'm sorry, Luna," she apologized in the loudest voice she could muster, which happened to be a tone barely over a whisper. "But... I need a break for a day... just a day." She had promised the two shinigami, no her friends, that she wasn't going to use her powers today. She was determined to keep that promise no matter what.

"I don't think you have much choice," Luna sniffed in disdain and then looked thoughtful. "Maybe the Dark Kingdom will decide to take a day off as well... I'll check with my source and see if that's the case... but Usagi-chan," her young voice had grown stern again and the almost gentle look in her eyes faded, she had no time to be soft with the girl. "If the Dark Kingdom is out there today you'll have to fight it. There's no one else." At Usagi's slight nod she bowed her head before easily leaping to the windowsill and out of the room. She had to hurry if she was going to make it to her source before the place got crowded.

Meroko scowled and for once didn't need her handkerchief as her cheeks puffed out in anger. "That baka cat!" she snapped as she restrained herself, with great effort, not to make the feline land in a cactus bush that would be all too easy to snap into existence. "Who does she think she is? How dare she order Usagi-chan around like that when she's so hurt!" she growled in fury and whirled on Takuto as if he was the cause of her problems. "We're following her, Takuto. Maybe we can find this source of hers and find someone else to be this Sailormoon."

"...Uh," Takuto agreed with a nod and chanced a glance at Usagi who was glowering at him. "Have a problem with that, chibi?" he demanded as he returned her glare. He wasn't about to let himself be pushed around by such a small kid. "You stay in this room and don't move," he paused for a moment as Meroko hovered out the window before throwing up her hands in annoyance and taking after the fleeing cat. "I mean it, chibi," he ordered before flying after his partner. "Oi, Meroko, wait up!"

And so the young heroine, the girl who wished so badly to be a great singer... was left alone for the first time in these past few hectic days and realized just how boring it was. At first she tried to hum but let out a squawk of pain and gasped for air as she held her throat. Humming wasn't an option so singing was completely out of the question...

Her tear rimmed blue eyes scanned her room for something, anything to take her mind off of her sudden loneliness. She'd even take one of Luna's lectures right now instead of being left home alone and in pain. Finally she noticed the radio next to her bed and smiled. Her slim hand reached out and with a twist of her fingers the radio blared throughout the room and left her momentarily deaf. With a start and wide eyes as she realized what her aunt would think, she quickly turned the knob until the sound was barely audible. Her ears strained for any footsteps near her door as she instinctively hovered over her radio. She couldn't let her aunt take such a precious thing, but thankfully it looked like Ikuko hadn't noticed anything. Smiling, Usagi relaxed against her pillow and allowed herself to be caught up in the music.

**

Considering that the shinigami were invisible to her, Luna never knew she was being tailed. So she didn't have any precautions about trotting into the arcade and meowing at Mamoru, the arcade guy, as a soft blush stole over her dark cheeks. As Takuto shuddered in horror, Meroko watched as the young man patted the cat on the head and offered to get her a saucer of milk which prompted another meow from the cat. As soon as the young man left the room the blush faded and she leaped gracefully onto one of the arcade machine seats and tapped the buttons with her paw.

"That cat knows how to play videogames?" Takuto questioned with disbelief. His eyes widened as the screen wavered and changed. Maybe the stupid animal had a 'source' after all... He hovered closer along with Meroko so they could hear what she was whispering to the machine.

"Have you found the princess?" the machine's voice was male and soft.

"No," Luna replied with a shake of the head and a scowl. Things would have been a lot easier if she could find her princess. Perhaps the woman could heal Usagi... "I don't think Usagi-chan can handle this much longer, have you found any other senshi?"

Both shinigami were shocked and glanced at each other. "You mean she actually cares?" Takuto shook his head in denial. "I don't buy it... she's pushing her too hard to care about her. That brat is going to end up dead if that stupid cat doesn't stop forcing her to fight..." though his tone was harsh his voice had gentled at the mention of the brat. It wasn't her fault entirely she was such a pest... and it was kind of nice that she was fighting so hard to help others...

"There's no sign of any of the others here..." the voice faded off as if in thought. "Is Sailormoon in that much danger? She can't hold on until we find the others?" the voice was worried but was also cold. If something happened to the warrior... there would be one less senshi to battle the forces of evil.

Luna could hear Mamoru approach and let her head drop as she closed her eyes. "She is, but she will endure it. I'll make her endure it," she whispered before placing her paw on another button and wiping out the screen as her milk bearer approached.

**

"Hello, minna!" a cheerful woman's voice filled the room and made Usagi's lips twitch in a smile. The woman sounded happy... even if she did regret the loss of the music the stranger had interrupted. "Sorry to interrupt your regular listening schedule but just wanted to announce to you all that I've done the impossible! I've got the hottest new star's manager from Rage Pro here for an interview! Join us tonight and we'll talk about the young woman who caught everyone's attention from her nationally viewed audition; Full Moon!"

Usagi jerked to attention and nearly fell off her temporary bed perch. "Ooshige-san?" she mumbled in shock as she stared at the radio. Why was her manager giving an interview? She flicked the dial with a twist of her wrist and turned the radio up just a little louder, but by the time she got over her shock, something else was starting to play.

"I can't believe it!" a young woman's squeal nearly deafened Usagi and she quickly turned the volume down another notch. "It's a miracle! Do you hear me speaking? I couldn't do that before... I was a mute and this doctor cured me! I can talk... I CAN YELL!" a giggle escaped the speaker while Usagi blinked at her radio and wondered if it had become possessed.

"I can walk again... Ever since I was a child my bones were too weak to support me but thanks to him, I can walk... I can even run. He's a miracle worker; no matter your ailment he can heal you too."

Without realizing it, Usagi jotted down the address provided and stared at it as she touched her throat. Was it truly possible? Could this unforeseen doctor cure her cancer? She tiptoed to her door and poked her head out to make sure her aunt wasn't anywhere near. She didn't want the woman checking on her and finding her gone... She'd get into even more trouble for that. Remembering the famous moves of devious teenagers on the television, she propped up her billows beneath her blanket and attempted to make it look like she had went back to sleep. Satisfied with the ruse she slipped through her window and slowly lowered herself out of it with her palms clutched the sill.

Usagi hadn't actually tried anything like this before so it was no wonder her arms gave out at the sudden weight and she tumbled down into a hedge with a soft cry. Picking bits of twigs and leaves out of her hair she straightened and dug out the now crumpled address. It might be a long shot but... Maybe she wouldn't need those shinigamis' help after all.

**


Takuto and Meroko frowned at the little cat as she took her time in lapping up the milk the arcade guy brought her. "We shouldn't leave that kid alone too long," Takuto observed as he crossed his arms over his chest and resisted the urge to snort. "Who knows what trouble she's gotten herself into by now."

Meroko who would have agreed a second ago suddenly scowled. "Usagi-chan can take care of herself," she snapped as her eyes narrowed on her partner. "Takuto... you're not in... love, with that human girl, are you?" she demanded with equal amounts of hurt and jealousy. "She is just a kid you know," she tacked on to make him realize how futile it would be for him to get closer to their charge.

Blue eyes darkened in fury as Takuto whirled on Meroko. "Why would I be interested in a skinny little brat like that?" he demanded almost feeling as if he could breathe fire with each word. "We don't have time for this," he growled as he noticed the cat finally leap off the stool. "She's going to get away while we argue... and I'm not in love with her," he snapped once more in hopes that she finally understood before turning sharply and floating after the running Luna.

Meroko opened her mouth about to argue but shut it with a firm click as her teeth snapped together. Maybe Takuto wasn't in love with Usagi... but if that wasn't why he was acting so strange... could it be because of his past? Instantly worry instead of jealous appeared in her eyes and she reached for her handy handkerchief. What would she be able to do if he started remembering? She didn't want him to turn into a ghost... "Takuto, wait for me!" she called as she flew after him.

Both shinigami came to a sudden stop as they realized that Luna had stopped. The cat tilted her head and slowly sniffed at the ground. While she wasn't as good with scents as a dog would be, she instantly realized Usagi had been through here. But just to make sure... nimbly she leaped up onto the window sill and peered inside. It was as she expected... no Usagi.

**

Usagi felt another shudder of pain rack her throat and she swayed in place in the middle of the sidewalk as she waited for the attack to abate. What was she going to do if her throat never got better? She wanted to help Luna and save the world but... she really was going to die at this rate. She didn't want to die without finding her Motoki-kun again.

She blinked and looked around confused. Now where had she ended up? She wasn't used to being outside much so it was all too easy for her to get lost... Thankfully this time Wakaouji-sensei wasn't around. The last thing she needed was another lecture from him about taking better care of herself. With a sigh she pulled out her paper again and stared hard at the letters as if they would grow mouths and start to talk to her. "I've got to find it..."

"Lost?" Mamoru's shift had ended ten minutes ago and on walking home he had noticed a slip of a girl. Frankly she kind of reminded him of that older odango atama, the resemblance was almost canny. "Hey," he called as he saw her sway and reach out to the building beside her for support. "Are you okay?" he was at her side at an instant and searching her over for any obvious wounds.

Usagi stared at Mamoru confused for a moment. Last time she had seen the guy he had teased her so why was be being so... nice? As another spasm of pain washed over her, she remembered, she was in her younger form now. He didn't know that she and Full Moon was the same person. With effort she opened her mouth to speak and squeaked in pain.

"I...need...to...get...here," Usagi managed to gasp and pushed the directions in his hand. The pain was starting to fade again and she hoped it would stay gone for awhile this time. "Thank you..." though her voice was as soft as ever, Mamoru just happened to be leaning down and able to catch the few words.

Mamoru let the younger girl lean on him as he looked at the hurried writing. It looked a bit like chicken scratch to him... She didn't seem very good at writing simple characters, so though he could read where the place was, he had no idea what it was. Normally he would have made fun of such horrible penmanship but he couldn't bring himself to make fun of this girl. "Come on, I'll help you find it," he offered with a smile. "Are you okay to walk or do you need to be carried?"

Usagi felt herself flush. Besides Motoki and Takuto she hadn't really been around other guys that much because of her illness. "I can walk," she managed to reply without gasping in agony. "Did I wander too far from it?" she hoped that her getting lost hadn't forced her to miss this chance. What would she do if they couldn't take any more people for the day? It wasn't like she could come down at anytime and visit the strange clinic.

**

"So where did she go?" Meroko demanded as the two scanned the room. The cat had left to follow the 'trail' but both shinigami doubted she'd actually be able to find the little blonde. Besides, both knew she wasn't exactly the most directionally competent person they knew. "She didn't even leave a note... baka Usagi-chan," she complained with a pout. "She didn't listen to you at all, Takuto."

Takuto didn't answer as he studied every object in sight. Why had she left when he had specifically told her to stay still? That little brat was really starting to push it... He paused in his complains as he heard the radio. He tilted his head and turned the volume up slightly and listened closely as he heard the same advertisement repeat itself over and over... The little blonde wasn't that dense... was she?

**

"Here we are," Mamoru announced as he gestured to the building that was starting to form quite a line around it. "Do you want me to come in with you?" the girl rapidly shook her head and managed to belt him with one of her pigtails. He winced and let go of her for a second. "If you're sure... Well it was nice meeting you, take care of yourself," he cautioned as he strolled out of sight.

As soon as he was in a handy dark alley he frowned in worry. Something wasn't right about that place. For as big as that line was there should have been some people leaving... He didn't even see one and the line, despite being so long, had been constantly moving... He would bet his life that there was a youma somewhere in that place. Slowly he reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a flawless rose, it was time for Tuxedo Kamen to make an appearance.

**

Usagi was amazed at how fast the line seemed to move. It didn't feel like she had to wait at all. One second she was at the back of the line that, and the next she was smiling the pretty young receptionist. "What are you here for, darling?" the blue-haired woman smiled kindly as Usagi tried to speak and finally just placed a hand on her throat. "Ah, throat issues, hmm?" she tilted her head to a room in the back, "The doctor takes care of those himself."

As Usagi followed the woman's directions she noticed that other people after her were all sent to another room farther away. Was it true that only those with throat issues were sent to this room? Puzzled she opened the door and stepped inside the pitch black room. "Hello?" even her weak voice echoed as if the place wasn't a simple room and she shivered.

"A throat problem?" the voice seemed to purr at her ear and though Usagi tried to turn to it she still couldn't see anything. "Don't worry, we fix those. Just be... patient and you'll feel this special room kick in." the voice was still at her ear and Usagi yawned as she started to crumple to the ground. "Tired? You can lie down if you wish..."

Usagi nodded mindlessly and started to lie on the floor when her hand brushed something cool. Startled her eyes opened and though it was pitch dark her eyes had grown accustomed enough that she could see an outline...no many outlines scattered on the cold floor. "What...is this?" Usagi whispered in horror as she tried to struggle to her feet but realized she was too weak.

"Just a test..." Light seemed to envelop the figure and Jadeite was revealed. "Your energy will be drained to the point of death unless you admit that you are Sailormoon," he doubted this weak little girl had been the one to cause him trouble, but he had given the same speech to the countless girls who were near death in this very room. "If you admit it... I'll let you live. The Dark Kingdom could always use fresh blood in our ranks. This is your one and only chance to join; if you refuse... you'll die here."

**

Takuto floated by a confused Tuxedo Kamen who was blindly searching for some window or skylight to enter from. He was surprised when he realized there was no such thing. The building only had one door and no windows at all. Concern filled him and motioning to Meroko the two raced through the front door and towards the room where the mass of people were going.

Meroko froze in place as she stared at the room full of sleeping figures. Her head jerked to the door as a line of new people came in and they didn't even have a chance to scream as the reddish hued room glowed and they toppled to the floor. A sickly sweet breeze filled the air and the bodies were unceremoniously pushed towards the edges of the insanely large room. "Takuto... I don't think this is a real room... I don't think we're on Earth anymore."

Takuto's fist clenched as he realized these people weren't merely sleeping. They were unconscious... maybe even dead. Quickly he scanned the mass for Usagi and realized it could take an eternity to find her. As he started to make his way to one of the walls he heard a shrill whistle and froze. "Chibi!" with Meroko in tow the two fled from the room and towards where the whistle had sounded.

The whistle fell from Usagi's lips and her head fell onto her hands. That was all the strength she had. Maybe it was better if she just closed her eyes and gave in... What was the point of fighting? At least she wouldn't be in such pain if she died... but something wasn't letting her go. As soon as she closed her eyes she had a vision of her sweet Motoki encouraging her to stand up. But she couldn't stand up... it didn't matter how hard she tried, if she was going to survive this there was only one possible way. "I'm," she managed to whisper somehow knowing her tormentor would hear her voice.

"Usagi-chan!" Meroko was once again in the faux Sailor Senshi garb and growled like an animal protecting its young. What were the strange words Usagi always said? "I don't know who you are but for trying to hurt my friend, I won't forgive you!" she posed and glared fiercely at the lounging Jadeite who was smirking.

**

"Baka!" Takuto growled as he dragged the girl out of the strange room and away from her enemy. The receptionist seemed to be gone for the moment and from the screams that escaped the red room... he was pretty sure he knew where she was. With a snap of his fingers, Full Moon had taken Usagi's place and with his help he managed to get her to her feet. "Run!" Takuto ordered as dragged her along by one hand.

Usagi did as commanded but almost tripped as she spotted a familiar tuxedo dashing into the building past her. "That's..." she was interrupted from a sharp tug on her hand and she winced. "Hey, cut it out!" she wrenched her hand free and shook it to try to dissipate the pain. "I have to go back! You saw what was happening to everyone..."

"Usagi-chan!" Luna had arrived on the scene and skid to a stop in front of the older girl. Had she really seen what she had thought she had saw? Memory of Usagi assuring her that the shinigami were there to help her came back and she felt her lips lift in a growl. These shinigami must be from the Dark Kingdom. Usagi was going to have to fight these monsters off in order to fulfill her duties! "Henshin, now!"

Usagi nodded and started to reach for her broach when a hand grabbed hers. With a blink she followed the extremity to a scowling Takuto. "Takuto... let go, I need to do this, don't you understand?" she wrestled her hand from his grip and thrust her broach into the air. "Moon Prism Power MAKE UP!" her scream echoed loud and clear throughout the block.

Too loud and clear... slowly she let her eyes roll downwards and she stared in horror at her sixteen year old body. "Why?" she demanded as she turned to Takuto who had sweat beading on his forehead. Apparently he had been the one that had interfered with her transformation. But she had thought the powers of Sailormoon outdid those of a shinigami... Confused she grabbed onto his jacket as she stared up at him. "Please! I have to save those people... they're dying!"

"No," Takuto didn't look at her as he stared over her still shorter head. "You swore not to transform today, remember, chibi?" he prodded as he saw Meroko back in her shinigami form float out of the building. "There's nothing you can do for these people today. If you try to fight you're going to end up in the hospital then they won't have any hope at all. You're going to have to wait until your throat heals."

"Meroko!" Usagi turned from Takuto as her eyes narrowed in hate and she grabbed the other shinigami. "Meroko, I have to stop Jadeite! Please... help me!" but the pink-haired shinigami was also shaking her head. "Why?" Usagi demanded as she felt tears fill her eyes. "WHY?"

"We can't risk it, Usagi-chan... I don't think those people are dead," she quickly added and noticed sparks of fury vanish from Usagi's eyes. "I used some of my power... I won't be able to hold it for long but just wait until tomorrow at least. We can't let you die before your time, it's our job." Her usual happy eyes were dimmed and she nodded to Takuto. She had used a lot of energy in helping those strangers.... but she wasn't about to let the girl throw her life away yet. Her time wasn't up yet. She opened up the shinigami handbook and stared at the red words that still hadn't vanished. "We have no choice, Usagi."

And though Usagi wanted to argue and yell in rage... she realized it was hopeless. With tears streaking down her cheeks she picked up the furious Luna who yelled at her the whole way, and started her walk home. Maybe she'd be able to slip back inside unnoticed in this body and return to normal once in her room. She had plans to go to bed early and wake up before the shinigami so she could save all those people.

She wasn't about to let any of those people die. Even if it cost her own life.