Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Lina's Quest ❯ Moonshine ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Lina's Quest
 
Chapter title: Moon Shine
 
Author: Malimillions
 
Summary: What do you do with a magic - wielding, dragon slaying, power hungry, egomaniacal menace to society straight out of the dark ages? Why, make her a modern-day super-hero, of course! Luna's at her wit's end!
 
Rating: PG-13 due to violence, skewed perspectives, homophobia… and of course, all of Lina's constant swearing.
 
Pairing (s): none so far
 
Feedback: Is much appreciated. Hate it or love it, I'd love to hear why and what you thought of it!
 
Fandoms used: The anime series involved with this crossover so far; Slayers & Sailor Moon.
 
Characters: Lina Inverse (Slayers) and Luna (Sailor Moon)
 
Betas: If anyone wants to I'd be tickled pink. : D
 
Author's notes:
* * These are for symbolizing characters internal thoughts.
# # This is around my notes here to help the reader with things or give an explanation.
// // These signify the speech of non-humanoid (not counting Luna) and unearthly beings.
 
I'm aware that I'm milking various character's speech mannerisms and accents a bit much, but I find each other characters are more distinctive that way, and thus enjoy the effect on the story. In the original Slayers anime Lina does not drop medieval insults everywhere, but I thought she was much more interesting (and irritating) this way. The plot follows the original Sailor Moon manga story line, with alterations here and there as I see fit. *evil chuckle *. The story can take place any time in the Ranma 1/2 universe. I have not seen beyond the first four volumes of Slayers, so you're all just gunna have to bear with me.
 
Disclaimer: Sailor Moon does not belong to me. Slayers does not belong to me. I make no money off of this.
 
 
 
 
 
Lina sat down heavily, removing her boots, scraping off her socks and removing the excess jam from between her toes before continuing to peel off her clothes and laying on her back on the cheap hotel bed. All in all finding her exhaustion to be well deserved. Stretching out her spine and finishing all the motions with a deep, relaxing sigh, she considered that her entire being was exhausted. She was stiff from places she hadn't thought existed from all the traveling and smuggling she had been pursuing lately. No matter how many heists she pulled, each escapade always ended up with the money she was promised falling through at the last moment and she and the rest of her rag tag gang landing in hot water, not to mention deeply in debt. But when did it end, and would it ever? Not that she minded the profits from her extortions, but sometimes it got a little wearing. She loved the constant thrill that the chase gave her, the suspense, the trilling of her nerves. But…. One would think that such efforts would pay off in spades. If that didn't work, one could, at the very least, expect some financial security for future by the sheer amount of gold and other valuables she pandered when all was said and done. If that didn't work, she would at least gain a reputation she could proudly brag about over a few beers.
But come to think of it, the reputation that came of it was never good, and certainly wasn't the type she envisioned when she was first getting started in the whole bandit business. Such knowledge or “legends” about her existed aplenty and were passed around in the criminal underground in the form of stupid songs about a little, violent girl with a flair for magic. This little girl was also credited for beating the snot outta blah-blah dragon, crushing blah-blah gang and most importantly, who was graced with a blah-blah flat chest. After all the sheer amount of work she had done in this occupation, all the years she had spent studying magical theory, this was all that her blood, sweat and tears amounted to?!
Absolutely nothing. No appreciation for her intelligence, her magical genius, her efforts, nothing. Unless you count rumors about how short, shrimpy and un-buxom you are was a good achievement…. Lina's eyes narrowed in annoyance. Finding such subjects aggravating to her blood pressure levels, she signed and simply decided to drift off to sleep.
The window opened with a creek. First she saw, or didn't see, was the darkness of the room. Switching from crinkling her eyes to stare around to fully open them, her crimson orbs snapped open, adrenalin rushing. She saw a silhouette, lighted by the moon, standing in the dark of the windowsill.
“Wake up.” A strange voice commanded. Forgetting all pretenses of faking sleep, Lina bolted upright.
“Who?” Lina's eyes focused on the figure, the mysterious presence was a black cat with a crescent moon bald spot on its third eye spot seemed to be where the disembodied voice originated from. That cat itself didn't move, but the voice cleared its throat importantly.
“I've been searching for you, Lina. My name is Luna.” the so called `Luna' beast sat down on the foot of her bed, seeming not to care that it was an intruder to her room, and not a guest. “I'm glad I've found you, I was beginning to think that I wouldn't.” Lina put her head in hand in attention, trying to ignore the bizarreness of the situation to focus on the details instead. “You're the famous sorceress Lina Inverse, are you not? You have quite a reputation.”
That was the first time that someone had both mentioned her name and her reputation in the same sentence positively.
“Yeah, well, the reputation isn't that good anyway. Yes, I am Lina Inverse, sorcerer genius.” Lina grinned at the last part. That was the only part of the reputation that she actually liked. For the moment she forgot that she was being casually addressed and wasn't wearing a nametag at the same time.
`Luna' wasted no time in cutting straight to the point.
“Have you considered why you're so gifted at magic?”
“Well, no. Not really.” It didn't really seem to matter what her response was, as `Luna' seemed to have the whole conversation worked out ahead of time, quickly launched into the little pre-arranged ditty, Lina biting her tongue the whole while in reminder to herself that she should take the feline seriously and not laugh.
“As I said, I have been searching for you. I've been searching for a warrior, a special warrior. She has courage, strength, pure heart and beauty, She is good, she fights evil and is protected by the moon.”
“Are you saying that… I am this warrior?” Lina asked hesitantly, a bit more interested now. It was pretty flattering to be addressed like so by a complete stranger, even if her so called `reputation' clearly stated most, if not all, of the many flaws in her character, not to mention her sinful choice of career. Luna cleared her throat once more.
“Lina Inverse, you have the power, the power to do anything. Protected by the moonlight, a virgin maiden” Lina scuffed at this, but Luna took no notice, “-with a beautiful dream, the chosen maiden with the power to save the world many times over. The maiden is you, Lina Inverse.”