Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Lina's Quest ❯ The Great Power ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Lina's Quest
 
Chapter title: The Great Power
 
Author: Malimillions
 
Summary: What do you do with a magic - wielding, dragon slaying, power hungry, egomaniacal menace to society straight out of the dark ages? Why, make her a modern-day super-hero, of course! Luna's at her wit's end!
 
Rating: PG-13 due to violence, skewed perspectives, homophobia… and of course, all of Lina's constant swearing.
 
Pairing (s): none so far
 
Feedback: Is much appreciated. Hate it or love it, I'd love to hear why and what you thought of it!
 
Fandoms used: The anime series involved with this crossover so far; Slayers & Sailor Moon.
 
Characters: Lina Inverse (Slayers) and Luna (Sailor Moon)
 
Betas: If anyone volunteers I'd be tickled pink. : D
 
Author's notes:
* * These are for symbolizing characters internal thoughts.
# # This is around my notes here to help the reader with things or give an explanation.
// // These signify the speech of non-humanoid (not counting Luna) and unearthly beings.
 
Disclaimer: Sailor Moon does not belong to me. Slayers does not belong to me. I make no money off of this.
 
 
Luna finished dramatically with a sad sigh. “As you can guess, I am not from this world I came fro a different world, an alternate version of it, you could say. There are no magical creatures as dragons and trolls and goblins… they are only viewed as legends or mere `fairytales'. Humans have advanced dramatically in their technology to make up for the lack of magic in their world, which they also do not believe exists. “ The feline ignored the fact that Lina was shaking her head and looking at her like she was even more crazy than before. “They have made machines that fly, carriages that go faster than any horse could even imagine, have gone into outer space, but still have no connection with other planes of existence outside of their prayers. “ A breath. “ They are very different, but are also very alike.”
“But why are you telling me all this?”
“I want you to save this world.”
“You want me to save this world?” Lina repeated, making sure she heard it correctly. It was not everyday that a cat with a disembodied, commandeering voice told you to hop to a dimension you had never previously heard of. Which for Lina, after all of her intensive studying, training and marauding, was unheard of if she had no previous knowledge of it.
“Yes, Lina. Great evil is manifesting itself, and sadly none of the people there are aware of it, nor aware of its awesome power… yet. The evil wishes to turn the entire planet into a dark world, filled with misery and hate, eventually completely controlling everything, starting with that world. Please, save it.”
A pause.
For all of Lina's investment in the world she currently resided in, it did not take long for her business sense to jump into action and quickly asses the perks of traveling to a yet unmilked, totally vulnerable plane that was just ripe for the pillaging.
“Okay! Hold on a minute; I have to go fetch Amelia, Zelgodis and Gourry.” Lina threw on her clothes in an excited rush and headed towards the door.
“No, Lina. Not them.” The young woman in question halted in her tracks. “Just you.” She slowly turned around.
“Why just me?”
“Only you have the power, the real and absolute power, a power that you haven't even touched yet.” Lina versed, sounded very pre-rehearsed. “A great power that will magnify the effects of the magic that you already possess.” The feline finished quickly, seeming pleased with the way her words sold the sale.
“Magnify the power I already possess?” Lina sighed in wonder to herself. This cat definitely knew how to keep her keen with interest! She already had vast amounts of power and had even defeated the local resident great dark lord. But could she really be…. even stronger? The red-eyed sorceress found it all to be a rather addictive train of thought.
“Yes… This power you will receive is very rare, since no one has possessed, much less wielded it, for the past ten thousand years. A great power that will eventually protect the entire planet. Please accept this power, Lina Inverse, and its responsibilities. Please, you must.” Luna bent her head down into a bow, her yellow moon mark and eyes no longer visible. “Save my world.” Linas own thoughts of grandeur came down to the halt as she looked down at the mournful beast.
“What do I have to do?” Lina ground out after a great while. Ignoring the tone, Luna looked up quickly, gratefulness splashing down her furry face, eyes filled with reinvigorated hope.
“You must accept this role, this great responsibility. You also must also immediately leave this world and come to my own and… “ Luna trailed off.
“And?”
“Never return here.”
For a moment Lina could only gape. This was her home, and literally the only world she had ever known…. How could she possibly leave it?
“Never return here? But this is my home! Are you out of your mind? How could I even conceive of such a thing?!” Luna looked incredibly chastised at Lina's outburst. “Sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you.” Lina finally relented after a few minutes of taking deep breaths and forcing herself to calm down. Worse come to worst, she considered, the next time the feline teed her off she could always just give it a good kick. Verbal chew-outs she saved for such losers as Gourry and Amelia.
“I deserved it. With such a request, I don't blame you for reacting that way. But please, I beg of you… “ Luna's head bent all the way down till it touched the bedspread. “Please, save this earth.” Lina couldn't bear to watch someone bow to her without her earning it, and look so sad at the same time. Sure, she liked fame and glory fine, but she didn't like forced servitude, much less someone bowing to her when she had done nothing to earn their respect. Lina sighed, the decision seeming already made for her.
“All right… I accept.” Luna looked up; tears of joy streaming down her face. “And now that I did, will you please stop bawling? You're making my sheets salty.” Luna quickly straightened up and put on a serious expression. Lina ignored this, however, and looked out the window instead, gazing at the stars. “Will I be as strong as you say?”
“Yes. Your heart of good and strength of spirit will prevail.” Unseen, Lina frowned. This did not answer the real intent of her question. “I will give you powers that you can master, along with armor. These powers and armor will increase the strength of the magic you already possess and magnify its power. Also, after we go back to my world, we must settle there and take up permanent residence. Then we will find the other warriors who will fight along with you.”
“We're going to be recruiting other magicians? Why? I'm a plenty good enough sorceress already.”
“Yes, we will be recruiting sorcerers, but we're also going to be looking for not only other strong magicians, but fierce warriors and channelers that will represent other planets.”
“Like how you said I would represent the moon, and such?”
“You're very clever, Lina.” Lina smiled at Lunas compliment. It was a good thing that the balding rug was observant. Maybe it would be useful for something other than interior decoration when this whole thing was over and all was said and done.
“When shall we leave to go to your world?”
“As soon as possible. But remember you have to say good-bye to everyone.” Lina sighed. Lina hated drama, particularly the type associated with the going away kind.
What a friggen' pain in the neck!