Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Lina's Quest ❯ Gettin’ Medieval ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Lina's Quest
 
Chapter title: Gettin' Medieval
 
Author: Malimillions
 
Summary: What do you do with a magic - wielding, dragon slaying, power hungry, egomaniacal menace to society straight out of the dark ages? Why, make her a modern-day super-hero, of course! Luna's at her wit's end!
 
Rating: PG-13 due to violence, skewed perspectives, homophobia… and of course, all of Lina's constant swearing.
 
Pairing (s): none so far
 
Feedback: Is much appreciated. Hate it or love it, I'd love to hear why and what you thought of it!
 
Fandoms used: The anime series involved with this crossover so far; Slayers and Sailor Moon
 
Characters: Lina Inverse (Slayers) and Luna (Sailor Moon),
 
Betas: If anyone volunteers I'd be tickled pink. : D
 
Author's notes:
* * These are for symbolizing characters internal thoughts.
# # This is around my notes here to help the reader with things or give an explanation.
// // These signify the speech of non-humanoid (not counting Luna) and unearthly beings.
 
 
Disclaimer: Sailor Moon does not belong to me. Slayers does not belong to me. I make no money off of this.
 
 
 
“Remember, you have to say good - bye.… You might not ever see them again.”
Luna's words echoed in Lina's mind as she carefully packed her large leather bag in a dusty room, her own chambers when she was still an adolescent and her bones were growing like weeds. While it seemed to her that she had left the room a millennia ago, the span of years that had actually passed were barely a few. The place made her uncomfortable. Taking in the frilly white window curtains and flower patterned sheets (handed down heirlooms), it struck her how out of place she seemed, dressed tough leathers, her large red eyes sharp and domineering, her magic expansive and her armor and sword crafted for war. She never felt more out of place in her life than how she felt now in this room where'd she'd grown up in as a sprat not so long ago.
Some might say that she left home too young an age. It was part of who she was. She frowned at the dust that not only accumulated in her room and study, but seemed to have amassed itself around the rest of the family tomb as well.
No one ever bothered to return to the dump unless they were getting something they forgot to bring with them. It had been years since any of the `family' had last seen each other, much less visit the hovel that Lina was stuck sorting through now, nor did there seem to be any in the immediate future. Especially if she was supposed to attend the supposed shin-ding party.
Her family had been more made up of file clerks, harsh school teachers and waitresses then well…mages. It seemed that even in her own family line she was an anomaly. Well, that wasn't entirely true. A few could chant some spells to polish the eating silver but she herself was the first true sorceress of the lot. A wild card mixed with a deck of bland, average, do-gooder losers.
She turned back to the neatly packaged stores of jewels, magic tokens and even a few clothes items, here and there. After all, even if one didn't know where they were going… one always felt better when the looked better… and Lina was quite vain as far as her happiness was concerned. Finally, she hefted it all onto her back and went to gather the most important things for her journey. The door creaking open echoed around the musty room. She coughed and waited for her eyes to get used to the dim light and for the dust to settle kicked up from swinging open the door to trying to ignore the dank mixture of moisture and dust and mold and disuse.
But she smiled at the sight.
Her family not just any large and eccentric family, but it used to be (at least, a long, long time ago) a strong and powerful clan. And this was one of their most prized (and ignored) rooms of all. After all, just looking at the rest of the blobs she was related to, one could tell that there wasn't much reading going on. The ceiling was high and lofty, the rooms floor was sparingly furnished with some chairs, rows upon rows of multiple levels, were filled with books and manuscripts, some intact, some not. The family did not have a habit of being well read—a testament to the fact that they anchored themselves in mealey positions in their measly lives, utterly complacent and secure.
Lina's frown deepened into an even uglier scowl She quickly went to her favorite area and started gently lifting books, carefully dusting them and them placing them onto a sturdy looking tabletop next to her bag. So she had narrowed her search down to a pile of books on the subject of magic that would probably be helpful as well as accumulating an even larger stack of black magic books with tellingly grotesque illustrations. Glancing at some of the pages of these and holding back a wince as her stomach turned, she carefully packed them all into her bag and turned off the torches with a simple clap of her hands, waving doors open and closed with snaps of her fingers, and securely bolted the last of the doors behind her. She was now finally ready.
She reached under her cloak and jerked out a canvas sack and gave it a hard shake.
“Huh? Wazzat?” Luna's voice drifted out of it.
*She sleeps like the dead,* Lina mused, raising an eyebrow. *So much for the potential of it serving watchdog duty.*
“Come on, Luna. I'm all packed and ready and everything.” Lina stated down at the lugubrious feline.
“Ah, good.” Luna nodded absent mindedly as she took out a white piece of chalk and laid out the appropriate diagram on the family's hardwood floors. Spitting out the taste when she was done, she quickly finished quickly and stood in the center.
Lina felt a chill. Apparently not restricted to mere human limitations, the cat had drawn a diagram unlike one she had ever seen before (and that was saying something), lazily drawing straight liens and perfect circles, all without the use of even hands. It was frightening.
“Done, fur ball?”
“The name is Luna.” The feline growled.
“Whatever. Here we go!” there was a flash of hard light, and they were gone. The tomb like room became silent once more, and the dust settling to rest, once again undisturbed, the mold resuming eating away a the floor boards.