Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ Being a Princess Doesn't Mean You are Helpless ❯ Breaking the Ice ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Being a Princess Doesn't Mean You Are Helpless III

Disclaimer: Sailor Moon and Utena do not belong to me and I make no money from this work of fanfiction at all.

Juri called out the exercises that the newest members of the fencing club moved to as she observed them with a critical air. They were decked out in masks, jackets and pasterns to soften the blows. All wore gloves and held foils, and tried to stay in an en guarde position.

The captain of the fencing team would go around, correcting a stance, a grip, the angle of an arm. It was a good thing that she could do all this automatically, because part of her mind was still in shock about the three people that had come into her Salle this afternoon.

She had expected Usagi, who had set up the whole event. She had expected Wakaba, who was the one they were trying to help- but the last person she had expected was Tenjou Utena.

The beautiful panther nearly became a landed fish. True, she had seen Wakaba's displays of affection, but she thought it was just a facet of the girl's character. Honestly... then again, she realized that you could never tell about people. There might have been a chance that a lot of the girls there might like other girls. Maybe it was the same with the kendo club, and a lot of the boys like to go to ogle the disappeared Saionji. She had no idea...

Maybe there was even a chance she could get together with Shiori.

Hah hah hah... and that would be a miracle.

Juri smiled as she showed her students the basic parries in four and six. Utena seemed to have that knack for learning anything physical, but both Wakaba and Usagi had a little more trouble. She watched them try the grips again, then paired them against each other, and try the basic lunge.

"Aim for your target- not their sword. You go for the goal, not what is blocking it. Be aware of where your opponent's blade is- but don't try to hit IT."

This lecture was delivered after Usagi and Wakaba, giggling like fools, had been slapping at each other like children.

"Those aren't windshield wipers," Juri chided, and both girls became serious again. Juri was paired up against Utena- and she had an odd problem with the pink haired one. Apparently, her experience with the Duels had gotten her to start making mistakes with a sword, mistakes that had never been corrected- and the Champion wasn't inclined to listen to Captain.

They slowly, then with greater speed, went through the first two attacks and parries. The expression on Utena's face was of being rather bored. She wasn't rolling her wrist correctly for the six parry. Well then... The Champion needed to learn that this was fencing- not Dueling.

With a touch of extra speed, she landed a direct, and easy touch on Utena's chest. The other girl paused. Blinked.

Then she started to take things seriously.

Miki came over to watch, and Juri motioned for him to take stock of how things were going. She had the other people rotate, having them practice with other partners. Her heart went out to Wakaba, as she was now standing across from Utena. Her earnest brown eyes were intense with concentration, putting her entire heart into it. It made Juri feel... odd. Like she was watching herself from when she was desperately in love with Shiori. Her lips compressed into a line, as she easily blocked Usagi's awkward thrust. She lunged at the blond, who parried, barely.

Juri looked at Usagi and sighed. "Have more confidence, Usa-chan. You are acting like the foil will bite you. Hold still." Usagi blinked behind her mask. She almost fell out of en guarde, but had been told to stay that way, so she did- then saw Juri lunge at her. All she felt was a light tap on her chest. Juri retreated, and lunged again, hitting her someplace else, and again, it was a light tap.

The Captain stood and removed her mask. "People can get overly enthusiastic, and the blow can be harder than that- but you won't get hurt, not while you are wearing your mask and jacket. You can get bruises, I've bloodied my knuckles when I forgot to wear a glove, but you won't get more hurt than that. Not with good training- which is what I plan to do!" Juri proclaimed, tapping her chest.

"Now... how about a little match?" she said in a teasing voice. Usagi and Wakaba blanched, while Utena looked eager.

"You two," she pointed to Usagi and Wakaba. "Against each other. Use just what you've learned today. Miki and I will score you, while Utena is going to learn how to referee a match. All right?"

They nodded to each other.

~*~*~*~*~

Usagi wanted to whine about how sore her wrist was... She had worked it harder than she was used to, holding up that foil. It hadn't seemed that heavy! Juri was some kind of slave driver!

Yet, she could see a sparkle of confidence in Wakaba's eyes. She had enjoyed the lesson, and the time spent with her Utena-sama.

"What's wrong, Usagi?" Juri asked. It had become a nightly ritual, unspoken and unacknowledged between the two of them, to meet at the pool where they had originally plotted. Juri had her dinner with her, nibbling on tempura and looking through a math book. She'd been waiting for Usagi when she had shown up, rubbing her fencing hand vigorously.

"My arm huuuurrrrrrtts," the blond girl complained, plopping herself down next to Juri. Her friend raised an elegant eyebrow, not commenting for several moments.

"So, you think it will work?" Usagi finally said, enjoying the peaceful quiet.

"Wakaba seemed to enjoy herself a lot," Juri said, chewing thoughtfully. "Utena just enjoys sports... so, yeah, it might work. Why? You didn't enjoy yourself?"

Usagi leaned back, propping her feet on the edge of the pool and gazed at the stars above her.

"It wasn't like anything I had tried before. I'm not really that good at athletics... I've always been a klutz. I get scared easily..."

Juri looked at her. "That's your problem right there. No self confidence. Come on, something like fencing is just what you need. I promise, we'll be gentle... for a little while," she grinning toothily.

Usagi smiled faintly. Juri was finally relaxing around her, not acting like the predator she was rumored to be. Finally! Then she rolled onto her side, and noticed a flash from Juri's hand. She stared for a moment.

"Why do you and Utena have the same kind of ring? Is it a class or school ring?" Usagi asked, tilting her head to the side in curiosity. Juri tried to keep her expression of peaceful content from changing, but it was hard- she didn't want to remember the Duels around Usagi. She seemed to be apart, untouched by them. Like she was from another world… How could she answer? Truthfully? Usagi wouldn't believe it, because she barely could.

There was a rustle in the bushes, and Juri was spared any awkward explanations, as Utena and Anthy appeared from around the bend.

"Hey, Usagi!" the Princely girl said, waving wildy. "Thanks for suggesting fencing! That was fun! Do you mind if we start coming to your club on a regular basis?" This last was directed to Juri.

She shook her head. She always enjoyed having new students.

"You guys worked really hard to do that," Utena said, "I have a new appreciation for what it takes to fence well! Although I would still like to keep up basketball and other sports, too. Think Anthy could try to join?"

Usagi tried to hide her wince. She was spared from protesting though- Anthy did it for her.

"I couldn't, Utena-sama," the purple haired girl murmured. "I am not meant to hold a sword, and I am not good at athletics…"

Both Juri and Usagi let out sighs of relief.

"It was fun doing things with you and Wakaba," Utena continued on, rather oblivious. "I didn't know she could be so aggressive!" She didn't notice the amused grins Juri and Usagi exchanged.

"Yeah, she really had fun this afternoon," Usagi commented.

"I wonder where she is?"

~*~*~*~*~

"Taidama!" Wakaba caroled happily as she bounced into her dorm room. She'd had her own room since Utena had moved out, and the silence could be oppressive… Though she wasn't really alone now, was she?

"Okaeri nasai," answered a male voice, from the back. Wakaba scampered in, and plopped the loaded plate she had gotten from the cafeteria down in front of… Saionji.

Ever since the Vice President had been expelled for hurting Touga, Saionji had been living with Wakaba. He'd had no where else to go. His family were all dead, he had only distant relatives who wouldn't have taken him in anyways. The only reason he could afford to go to Ohtori was because of a scholarship, and his inheritance. He couldn't directly GET to that inheritance until he reached his majority… He was allowed a small allowance. Enough to pay for clothes if he was careful with his money. However, he couldn't get into another school without more.

Wakaba had found him, in a bad state, sort of hovering around the school walls. Being the compassionate soul that she was, she had invited him to stay with her. He'd accepted- and hadn't rued the bargain. He just wished he could find a way to repay her. Saionji had kept her room clean, studied the books left in her room, but he itched for more to do…

"How was your day?"

Saionji noticed that Wakaba looked- radiant. She glowed and smiled at him with such pure happiness that he wished he had something to do with it.

"I started the fencing club with Utena-sama and Usagi-chan!" she belted out, twirling around. "It was fun! I'd never tried that kind of thing before, I thought it was only for guys but I LIKED it and being with Utena-sama and Juri-sempai was so cool and Usagi is always fun and-"

"You started fencing?" he asked, smiling suddenly. Fencing was something he knew about! He'd studied it enough to have a passing knowledge…

"Uh huh!"

"Would you," he paused and looked nervous. "Would you like it if I taught you some kendo?"

Wakaba's eyes lit up.

"Would I ever!" she exclaimed, and bounced over to give him a hug. "That sounds so cool! I could really get Utena to notice me then!"

There was a sudden stillness in the room. Saionji blinked and gaped, the impact of Wakaba's words sinking in after the surprise of her actions. Wakaba... liked... Utena?

"I don't understand?" he asked suddenly, pulling her from around his waist to stare into her bright brown eyes.

Wakaba suddenly turned a violent purple. She stuttered, and Saionji almost shuddered.

"Must I loose everyone?" he whispered, not realizing he had said it out loud.

"What?" Wakaba answered, puzzled. "I've loved Utena... for a long time. You aren't losing me! You're still my friend!"

"Friend..." Saionji looked confused. It had been a long time since someone had called him friend... It felt good. Very good. Memories of sparring with Touga flitted through his mind, of good times. It had been a long time since he had a friend...

"So," he said, clearing his throat. "Do you want to learn some kendo?"

To be continued!