Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Guarded Twin ❯ The Attempt ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lady: *making googly eyes*
Trin: what's wrong with her?
Blair: I don't know but I wish she'd move her eyes elsewhere…
Lady: I'm showing adoration for my number one guy!
Endy: I thought I was!
Trin: he he…usual disclaimers apply, we have no money…excuse me I have to stop the coming Jerry Springer fight…*brings out famous foam mallet*
Endy: I've been around since the very beginning of time! Where do you come from?!
Blair: From Trin's mind! I belong to Trin! *hugs Trin* I'm hers!
Trin: I don't want you! *pushes Blair away*
Lady: I want you! Come here snuggles!
Endy: Lady noooooooo!
 
*****
 
Chapter 3 - The Attempt
 
*****
 
~~~~Earth~~~~
 
The castle of Atlantis was impregnable: three sides were protected by sharp cliffs and that left only the front of the castle which was often heavily fortified. It was also where several coves and dungeons had been made over the years.
 
The wind whipped Malachite's hair as he walked down the weather worn steps, concealed from all enemies besides the royal family. At the end was a natural made cove and once inside the wind stopped howling and warmth enveloped anybody who walked in. Malachite shook his head and held a basket aloft which he carried with him.
 
“Who's hungry?” he asked and three figures rushed at him. The other three Generals raided the basket and each took their prize to their corner like a lion, not willing to share. Malachite sighed and moved deeper into the cave.
 
“That leaves you with a loaf of bread, an apple and a chicken leg. Is that sufficient?” the silver haired general asked into the darkness. A muffled sound that sounded much like a yes answered him and in the gloom Malachite removed the gag from around Commander Gertrain's mouth. The Commander grabbed the remains of the basket and downed the food eagerly. The generals hadn't been starving him but he certainly acted as if they did.
 
“Totally ridiculous…absolutely absurd…” Gertrain mumbled through flying pieces of bread.
 
“Yeah well you might be here a lot longer,” Jadeite called out and wiped his mouth of the juice he'd been drinking. He brushed his black uniform from any crumbs and came to stand next to Malachite.
 
“What I don't understand is…why I'm being kept here against my will.” All the generals fell silent.
 
On the night of the dare, Gertrain had been directing the rest of his men on how to behave and how best to protect the royal family then he headed for his rooms in the barracks. The Generals meanwhile became worried about Endymion and raced to the Commander's rooms also. Outside the window they saw Gertrain look high and low for his armour and start sweating because he needed to be with Damien at that very moment. The generals figured Endymion was half way to wherever the Commander was meant to be and just as Gertrain left his rooms to find the king they jumped him outside his own door.
 
Gertrain was dragged into the dark forests and told to keep a low profile. He took a reluctant holiday at the expense of the generals and returned a year later. Gertrain and the Generals completely forgot about the other as Damien was busy conducting Endymion's portectors in making search parties for the missing prince of a year, who had spent it on the moon. When Damien saw Gertrain, Jadeite was luckily at his side at the time and his eyes widened. Gertrain was asked why he was back on earth suspiciously and Jaedite thinking quickly said:
 
“Your Highness, I forgot to say that Commander Gertrain is back for some supplies for the small crew he has on the moon. He'll be back every few months.” Damien had nodded, his mind preoccupied with other events.
 
So it was like that, hiding Gertrain for almost half a year and allowing him to walk around freely the other half for near to two years.
 
“How long has he been up there now?” Jadeite asked, moving to the mouth of the cove and leaning on its rough edges.
 
“Around three years,” Zoicite shrugged as he finished also. “Long enough anyway. King Damien is on the point of desperation.” Gertrain snorted.
 
“Hell, just steal the boy back from those Lunarians and everything will be solved!”
 
“Are you stupid?” Malachite snapped. “Endymion is in your place at this very moment. If we take him back now, Damien will know he's been fooled and there'll be hell to pay for everyone, including you. No, we will have to wait and find the right moment.” He turned stern blue eyes to the older man. “You'd do well to keep quiet Commander Gertrain. The other Generals and myself will get the prince back.”
 
“You'd better,” Gertrain muttered. “I can't keep going on like this…”
 
~~~~Moon, Grand Hall~~~~
 
“My lords and ladies, I appreciate you coming to this ball in memory of my father. You support has been very welcoming, to myself…and my mother,” Serenity spoke aloud for all to hear. The nobles of the moon smiled or bowed their heads in respect towards the young princess. “But let's not dwell on such things! Let us be thankful Queen Serenity VII is still able to be present with us!” Everyone cheered and proceeded to mingle with others as the band started up.
 
Serenity sighed and sank into her chair beside her mother's throne. Queen Serenity's head was drooping and her hands trembled on the arms of the throne. The young princess felt to cry. Sure there were no attempts on her life since Endymion had arrived but her mother's condition and the strain of having to become queen so soon weighed her down greatly. She signalled for Reianna and Minako, to come over.
 
“Can you two please take my mother back to her chambers? I'm afraid tonight's festivities could take its toll on her,” she whispered.
 
“Certainly princess…would you like to go back to your chambers also? I see that you are tired…” Minako asked carefully but all she got was a groan and a shake of the head.
 
“No Minako I'm fine. Please, just see to my mother.” The two Senshi nodded and helped the dying queen from her place.
 
Serenity surveyed the crowd watching the dancing nobles. They were all so carefree and happy, dancing and drinking to their hearts delight…it was an easy life for some in this world.
 
After an hour of watching prim nobles become deathly drunk and not finding one ounce of amusement in it, Serenity decided to call it a night.
 
“Endymion,” she said quietly. When he first came, she often forgot that he was there because he was so quiet. But she got used to it over the years and knew that the young man would always be a step behind her. He stepped closer to her seat and bent his head in the direction of her voice.
 
“Yes your highness?”
 
“Watching nobles drink themselves silly isn't my idea of a ball. I will be going to my chambers. You are, of course, welcome to stay here.”
 
“My thoughts are the same as yours princess. Allow me to escort you to your rooms,” he whispered back to her and held out a gloved hand for her. She took it and rose from her seat heading for the main staircase at the other end of the hall. Everyone was so drunk that they took no notice of the princess and her guard so there would be no gossip the next day. The Senshi on guard though noticed…
 
They walked through the marble halls in silence coming to the Royal Reception where Endymion was received three years ago. They walked up the same small set of steps and got to Serenity's door. The stars offered the only light through the dark drapes in the Royal Receiving room and Endymion could see the reflection of them in her eyes as she looked up at him.
 
“Thank you my lord - only what do I call you now?” she asked inquiring to their last conversation. They hadn't spoken for the whole of that day and for the whole of this morning. A simple kiss had put many barriers between them.
 
“Just call me Endymion princess,” he replied letting go of her hand. She nodded.
 
“Only if you agree to call me Serenity.”
 
“Alright - Serenity.” She smiled and turned to her door.
 
“Good night Endymion,” she said softly and he bowed his head.
 
“Good night Serenity,” and he backed away to his own room on the other side.
 
*****
 
She tossed her head from side to side, clenching the sheets in between her fists. She made small uncomfortable, maybe even scared, noises but they were unheard by anybody.
 
<…Entrinity…> Serenity often had times where she dreamt about her sister and felt what she was feeling. But just as she thought she could speak to her, something blocked her way, another presence, and it threw her back into consciousness.
 
Serenity bolted upright in bed, sweat running down her face and neck, her heart racing at least a million miles per minute. Looking about the room she came upon the sleeping form of her mother…with a pillow over her face.
 
“Mother!” she yelled and scrambled out of her own bed removing the pillow as soon as she reached the bedside. The older woman was breathing but barely and Serenity thanked the gods that she was. It was then that she felt a breeze and saw that the window was open…which was most definitely shut when she left Endymion to go to her rooms. Serenity felt a chill run down her back and tensed listening for any movement or any breathing other than her mother's or her own…
 
A hand shot out from under the bed and grabbed her ankles pulling her off her feet and making her bang her head hard against the hard wood floor. Serenity screamed from pain and fear as she was slowly being dragged under the bed. She kicked her legs hard but it was no use, the thing had a tight grip on her and continued to drag her towards it.
 
“Endymion! You said I'd be safe with you! Help me now!” she screamed hoping against all hope that the Terran wasn't dead. She was half way under the bed already and she was sure she heard a wicked laugh and she shouted louder.
 
Strong arms wrapped around her stomach and a hard body came up behind her as she was pulled in the opposite direction of the bed. Serenity felt bare flesh against her back instead of metal. She gripped her rescuer's forearms rather than trying to hold herself up on the floorboards.
 
“Took you long enough Endymion,” she snapped, her voice holding a tint of fear. Endymion pulled Serenity's body for all he was worth.
 
“Just be grateful it…isn't the true commander…here Serenity. He wouldn't…stand a chance,” Endymion replied through pulls.
 
The being hissed and released Serenity making her topple on Endymion. He got up quickly, moving Serenity behind him and unsheathed the sword that he hastily strapped to his back. A black mist filtered from under the bed and stood opposite to them, seemingly shaping into the form of a man.
 
“Show yourself. How dare you attempt to assassinate the Royal Moon Family! Only a coward would do such deeds,” Endymion called. His eyes held challenge and anger and waited for the being to make his move. It chuckled and drifted to the open window.
 
“This place isn't safe for her highness. What better way to ensure her safety than to kill her?” the voice was male and sounded muffled. “This place isn't safe for you either Endymion. As long as you guard that snotty wench your life will be forfeit also.” Before Endymion could blink the mist whipped through the window and into the night. He raced to the window but couldn't see anything in the night sky and cursed under his breath quietly.
“Well it seems to have gone,” Endymion said turning to Serenity, but that's when he noticed her curled up form on her bed. He rushed to her side trying to get her to look at him. It was only know he realised he didn't have his helmet and yet he didn't care if he didn't have it. “Serenity, are you hurt? Do you need something? Serenity? Serenity, don't do this. Answer me please!” his tone brought her teary eyed head up.
 
“Now do you see what my life is subject to? The way I'm haunted by beings who wish me dead?” Serenity whispered biting her lip and closing her eyes against tears. In a move he'd regret later, he pulled her huddled form to him, on his lap and rocked her gently, resting his chin on her head.
 
“Forgive me,” he said softly. “I almost failed you.”
 
“You saved me from certain death. How did you fail?”
 
“I should have been here sooner…if I was later-“
 
“Please Endymion no more. I do not wish to dwell on such things.” She looked up at him from where her head was placed on his shoulder and touched his cheek. Damn it to be so ironic that she wanted to see the man she felt so strongly for but for lack of light she couldn't see him. She could make out the outline of his face, where the hollow of his eyes were and his nose from the starlight but nothing else. “You saved me. That counts for something Endymion and I'm so grateful.” She lifted her head up and kissed him in the exact place where his lips were. It took a second to process the action and Endymion kissed her back, not wanting another repeat of yesterday's events. Her hands crept around his neck and Endymion supported her back. Three years of being around the Lunarian princess and he finally did what he wanted to do for a while.
 
Just as suddenly as the kiss started Endymion finished it and lifted his head up to survey the area.
 
“What's wrong? Why did you stop?” Serenity asked, feeling a bit dazed. She felt his fingers dig into her sides and back firmly, feeling him tense and she awoke from her haziness.
 
“There are multiple reasons princess,” was his curt reply, while still scanning the room. There was a smell in there that didn't seem right…
 
“Which would be?”
 
“I am a Terran and you are a Lunarian. It is forbidden for our races to mix. I am your bodyguard and you my charge. It is not right that we become involved in this kind of relationship. My job is to protect you and keep you away from any dangerous plots, not to love you.” He knew he was lying about the latter part but he needed to concentrate and not think how good it would be to be with her. Serenity fell quiet removing her hands from his neck.
 
“Alright Terran,” she bit out icily. “Any other reasons?”
 
“Yes princess,” he replied just as coldly. “I stopped because there is a fire starting in this very room."
 
*****