Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Meeting of Minds ❯ Chapter 04 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Meeting of Minds
Chapter 4
 
a Sailor Moon Fanfic
by SoftRogue
whiteb100@hotmail.com
 
Disclaimer:
Sometimes you drink the milk...
Sometimes the milk drinks you.
 
---Present Time---
 
"Pink Sugar Heart Attack!"
 
From the shadows of a nearby rooftop, I watch as my future princess is locked in mortal combat a Youma. In the week since she returned to the past, I've been observing her sneak out every night as if searching for something. As I watch, I cannot help but feel a sense of pride as her attack destroys the foul creature.
 
"Boo Ya! Who's the man? Who's the man? I'm the man! It's my birthday! It's my birthday!"
 
'Oh...kay...' I think to myself as Sailor Chibi-Moon performs a very non-traditional victory celebration.
 
While I wasn't sure as to the why she had come back, I do know that she wasn't here because of any emergence or threat to the future. Eventually, Chibi-Moon finishes her celebration and, leaping to the rooftops, she began to head back towards the Tsukino residence.
 
I quickly slip out of the time stream and reappear several buildings ahead of her. Seeing her stop and look down onto the street below with a sense of accomplishment, I walk forward silently and watch her for a moment.
 
'She looks so much like her mother...and her grandmother.' I think.
 
"It's one a.m.; does your mother know where you are?" I ask softly.
 
"Puu!" the pink-haired girl exclaimed excitedly, before turning around and giving me a tight hug. "I'm sooooo glad to see you!"
 
"And I'm glad to see you as well, Small Lady." I respond, lightly returning the embrace. "Although, perhaps you aren't so small anymore."
 
"Oh, Puu..." she blushed, releasing the hug and stepping back.
 
"So...why did you return to this time? I hadn't expected to see you for a while. Did your mother send you here to complete your training as Sailor Moon?" I ask delicately.
 
Sometimes my dealings with Small Lady have been difficulty. The me that she knows is my future self. While I can use the Gates of Time to see the possible future, there are things that are purposely hidden from my sight. One of the things I do know for sure is, in the future, I will be asked to see to the education of the princess as I was once asked to help Pai.
 
However, I know myself well enough to know that I would have given Small Lady the impression that I know more now about the future than I truly do.
 
"Well...sort of..." she hedged.
 
I can't help but to sigh lightly. "I see. So your mother doesn't know you're here, does she."
 
"It's not her fault. She's so busy with being pregnant and all, I thought it would be a good idea to get out of her hair."
 
I blink. I was completely surprised to hear that Neo-Queen Serenity was going to have another child. I mentally shake my head as I listen to what else Small Lady is telling me.
 
"I mean, I know that I'm not in the way, or anything. I just thought that it would be a good idea if they didn't have to worry about me, you know? So...you're not going to send me back...are you?" She asks me softly.
 
I don't even have to think about the answer. If I had allowed her to come here in the first place, then there was no reason for me to send her back.
 
"No, Small Lady. In fact, I'm glad you're here. Hotaru-chan could use a good friend like you; especially now that the two of you are closer in age than you were before."
 
"Oh..." she blushed slightly, her eyes downcast.
 
I resist the urge to raise an eyebrow. 'Damn me for showing that Nemoy person one of my best expressions...now I can't use it because everyone thinks I'm copying him!' I can't help but to wonder about her reaction at my mentioning of my daughter, but I simply shrug it off as the enforced loneliness someone in Small Lady's position must endure.
 
Smiling slightly, I say, "You had best be going home now. I'm sure Usagi would worry if she knew you were out here late at night."
 
"Ah, who cares what Odango Atama thinks?" she says in mock disgust.
 
Giving me another hug, Chibi-Moon turns and takes off across the rooftops. I watch her quickly disappear, heading back home. Waiting a few moments, I finally clear my throat.
 
"Well?"
 
Behind me, a figure detaches itself from the shadows of the rooftop. Turning around, I can easly make out the billowing cape and top hat it wears. Tuxedo Kamen walks towards me with a slightly bewildered look on his face.
 
After a moment of silence, he finally manages to say what's on his mind. "Wow...another kid. I never imagined..."
 
"So, you're aware that your daughter has returned to this time?" I ask the obvious question, wanting to avoid any possible questions about the future.
 
He shakes his head and says, "Oh...yea. Usako brought her over the other day. Believe me, it was quite a surprise." he said before muttering, "At least she seems to have gotten over her Electra Complex." Meeting my eyes again, he continued. "The night I found out she was back; I went to check up on her. Imagine my surprise when I saw her out patrolling."
 
I nod in understanding. I myself was surprised to find her going out each night looking for trouble. It had been a long time since there had been any great evil that threatened the future, but there were many Youma that still existed that occasionally surfaced to cause problems.
 
Figuring that there was nothing left to talk about, I turn around and begin to walk off. Before I slip out of the time stream, however, Tuxedo Kamen clears his throat to get my attention.
 
"Ahem I was wondering. If you don't mind, I would like to talk to you about something. I cough sort of would like to ask you a favor."
 
I look at him for a moment before nodding my consent. The two of us make our way to ground level and, a few minutes later; one Mamoru Chibi and one Setsuna Meiou enter one of the all night coffee shops that have recently begun to appear around the Tokyo area.
 
"Thank the Kami's for Anti-Trust laws." I mutter as we sit down at an out of the way table.
 
"What was that?" Mamoru asks me, sitting down across from me.
 
"Some time ago, I...influenced the creation of certain laws in the United States." I explained absently, taking a sip of my coffee. "Had I not, in a few years time, two businesses would have merged into a company called 'StarSoft'. Had that happened, that company would have had enough leverage to take over several countries. It would have only been a matter of time until 'StarSoft' would have had achieved world domination."
 
Mamoru looked at me with disbelief. "You are kidding, right?"
 
I give him a mild look for a while before I relent. "Yes, of course I am."
 
'After all,' I think to myself, hiding a smile. 'the company would have been called 'MicroBucks'.'
 
The two of us spend some time making small talk. What the others don't know is that Mamoru and I have a friendship of sorts. For quite some time, he has been coming to me to talk about his concerns about the present and future. Of all of those who have been reborn, he is the only one who currently takes his future responsibilities seriously. That isn't to say that the others weren't serious, it was just that he was the only one whose concerns were focused on the future, not just the present.
 
I was the one who Mamoru came to in order to discuss his plans to leave for America. His reasons were sound and I agreed with him, even to the point of suggestion that he leave without telling Usagi. It wasn't MY fault that Galaxia masked her presence from my abilities with Chaos when she killed Mamoru.
 
Finally, Mamoru and I finish making small talk and he comes to the reason he wanted to talk to me.
 
"I'm still concerned about Usagi." he tells me, his uneasiness evident in his voice. "I mean, she is about to graduate high school, but most of the time she acts like she is still back in junior high."
 
I nod in understanding. Usagi's child-like attitude has been a concern of mine as well for some time. It's obvious she has the potential to be a great queen, but so far the only times that promise had shown through were during a crises.
 
"I've tried talking to her about how I feel," he continued, "and she says she'll try harder. And I've also tried to give her plenty of space to grow, but we know how that turned out." Mamoru sighed.
 
"Have you tried talking to the others about how you feel?" I asked.
 
Grimacing, Mamoru said, "I've tried, but...well, talking to Mina-chan about anything serious is almost as bad as talking to Usako. Mako-chan and Luna are both very loyal to Usako and would take anything I say negative about her personally. As for Ami, well I know she would understand, but she's too out of touch with reality to know how to get through to Usako."
 
I stifle a sudden and violent urge to reach over, grab Mamoru's head, and slam it into the table repeatedly.
 
"And Rei...well, the two of them are worse than trying to mix oil and water. I mean, believe me, I know that Rei cares about Usako, but...you know."
 
I take a drink of my coffee to hide my smile. 'Believe me, I know.' I think to myself.
 
---Silver Millennium---
 
"Iria! Iria! Yo, Iria, wait up!"
 
I stop and look behind me, young Pai coming to a halt at my side. My ten-year-old prodigy and I were returning to her quarters after spending the day in the Royal Library. Ever since that day several years ago, I have been committed to making sure that I didn't miss out on our time together. Of course, that time was becoming even more precious since young Pai had recently begun her formal training to become the next Senshi of Mercury.
 
"Thanks for waiting." Nae, the Senshi of Mars, said as she caught up with us. She then leaned against one of the walls and removed one of her shoes. "I swear; if I ever find the moron who thought it was a great idea to give our uniforms high heals, I'll fire a Flame Sniper right down his throat."
 
I raise an eyebrow at her while young Pai waits patiently by my side. "Was there something you needed, Nae?"
 
"Nah, I'm just heading your way. Hey, kiddo." Nae said, giving young Pai a grin. "So, have you met Myung yet?"
 
"No, Lady Nae, I haven't had the opportunity yet." young Pai replied softly.
 
"Myung?" I ask, giving young Pai a look of curiosity.
 
"The next Senshi of Mars, Sensei." young Pai answered, "She arrived from Phobos-Deimos Castle the other day."
 
Nae replaced her shoe and the three of us began walking down the hall towards the Royal Suites. "She's was the forth in line for the Martian throne before she was Awakened, so at least that'll make the nobles happy. Not that I care. I just hope she's not all prissy and high-and-mighty, ya know?"
 
I nod politely, knowingly exactly what she was talking about. Historically, nearly 95% of the Senshi have been a member of one royal family or another. Out of those, nearly all of them have actually been a member of their patron planets aristocracy. Periodically, however, there have been cases; such as young Pai and Nae; where a Senshi is Awakened who is a commoner. In the past, there have been cases where a new Senshi who was a layman caused the royalty of their patron planet to be...dissatisfied. Such as Nae.
 
Growing up in the Venusian slums, Nae was nearly 14 years old when she was Awakened as the next Senshi of Mars. Having grown up in such a difficult and dangerous environment, she had a rough and ready demeanor. She had little patience for most people to begin with and an inclination towards rather extreme actions with dealing with such people. Add it to the fact that the nobility would often express their displeasure towards her because of her 'plebeian nature'; there was an obvious potential for an explosive situation. Had it not been for Noodle Brains' kind heart and patience, there would have been many more people that Nae would have angered than she had.
 
I gave silent thanks that young Pai hadn't had to deal with such alienation.
 
"So kiddo, how has Airi been treating you?" Nae asked, making small talk.
 
I watched as, with eyes downcast, young Pai answered in a quiet voice. "Lady Airi is...interesting to work with."
 
"Ha! That's an understatement if I've ever heard one!" Nae chuckled. "She's the biggest airhead I've ever met. Now, don't get me wrong, she's a genius and all and she's good at her job as a Senshi, but Airi gets side tracked at the smallest things. But don't worry; you're in good hands with her training you." Nae then muttered under her breath "...just don't show her any shiny things..."
 
After walking for a few more minutes, we heard an angry yell from down the hall. Nae and I exchanged a look and the two of us sprinted down the hall with young Pai trailing behind. Following the noise, we heard we arrived at one of the currently unoccupied rooms in the Royal Suites. Acting on instinct, I put a hand on Nae's shoulder before the Senshi of Mars could open the door.
 
Said door opened suddenly and, to our surprise, a disheveled Princess of the Moon Kingdom rushed out of the room. She turned back to the room and, mustering as much authority a seven year old could, said, "I am your Princess! I command you to mumph!"
 
Whatever the younger Serenity would have commanded was interrupted by a large pillow flying through the door and smacking her square in the face. A moment later, a girl of about eight years of age with long, black hair and violet eyes exited the room. Violet eyes that held a somewhat crazed look as she glared at the blond princess.
 
"I don't care who you are! Don't...You...EVER...touch my vids again!"
 
"But...but...Myung!" the princess whined
 
"DIE!"
 
Myung launched herself at the princess who, with a squawk of surprise, ran down the hall. "Myung! You're so mean!"
 
"GAH!!!"
 
I watched the two girls run down the hall with a small smile. Fond memories of Noodle Brain and I at that age came to me. Looking over at Nae, I suppressed a grin at the shocked expression on her face.
 
"So...unless I'm mistaken, I believe that was your successor who was chasing the Princess."
 
"...wha..." Nae muttered.
 
"And, if I remember correctly, that hall does lead to one the largest fountains in the Lunar Palace."
 
A look of shocked understanding crossed the Senshi of Mar's face a moment before she raced after the two younger girls. I turn to look at young Pai, only to see a stunned expression on her face.
 
Chuckling softly, I said, "Well child, it looks like things are going to be interesting for you around here."
 
---Present Time---
 
"And Haruka and Michiru...well, I can't help but think that they don't like me."
Mamoru said with a shrug.
 
I take another sip of my coffee and give Mamoru a look of mild interest. Where the idea that those two did not like him came from, I had no idea. Although, though be told, the two of them did tend to come of a bit standoffish towards...well, just about everyone.
 
"I see. And what does this have to do with a favor?" I ask.
 
"Well, I was wondering if you could talk to her." he said. "I mean, I know that there are things that you can and can't do; being who you are and all; but I know that Usako respects you a great deal. If you would...help her to realize her true potential..." Mamoru trailed off, a hopeful look in his eyes.
 
I look at him for a long moment, my face expressionless. On one hand, he does have a valid point; it was time for Usagi to finally 'grow up', as it were. What he was asking for wouldn't violate any of my oaths and wouldn't interfere with my duties. And besides, it might just provide the distraction I've been looking for to keep my mind away from thoughts of Pai.
 
Draining my coffee, I stand and throw some money on the table to cover the check. "I'm not making any promises, but I'll see what I can do."
 
------
To Be Continued...
 
 
Author's Notes...
Well, another chapter out of the way. Finally.
Honestly however, I feel that this chapter could
have come out...better. If anyone out there has
any suggestions, let me know.
 
Any C&C would be appreciated at whiteb100@hotmail.com
 
06/03/05