Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Meeting of Minds ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Meeting of Minds
Chapter 14
 
a Sailor Moon Fanfic
by SoftRogue
whiteb100@hotmail.com
 
Disclaimer:
I don't own Sailor Moon...but I wish
I did. You have any idea how much money
Naoko Takeuchi must be making off of it?
 
---Present Time---
 
Reclining on the bed, I smile mischievously as I stretch. Knowing Haruka as well as I do, it should only be a moment or two before my love returns with a bucket full of ice. She was so predictable sometimes that it was child's play to manipulate her into doing what I wanted. It was a simply a matter of subtle suggestions applied with blunt force.
 
'Not that I feel guilty about tricking her,' I think fondly. 'Ruka needs to relax before she says anything she regrets to Hotaru-chan.'
 
Frowning, I think about my daughter. While I'm genuinely happy for Hotaru, I couldn't help but worry about the future. We didn't know how long Chibi-usa would be here in the past before she had to return to Crystal Tokyo; nor did we know when, or if, she would ever be able to come back. Even worse was the fact that only Setsuna knew for sure how long it would be before Crystal Tokyo came to be; although the few hints I've picked up implied it could be several centuries or more before our future princess would be born.
 
'Has Hotaru-chan even thought about that?' I muse with worry. 'Has she even considered the fact that she would be alone for such a long time waiting for Chibi-usa to come back from this trip?'
 
Shaking my head, I pull out of such bleak thoughts and remind myself to speak to Setsuna about it in the morning. Although she won't tell anyone anything specific about the future, she would be able to impress the seriousness of the situation to Hotaru.
 
Hearing the door to our room unlock, I recline back on the bed and do my best to look as desirable as I can. The first thing I notice about Haruka as she walked into the room was how she wouldn't look in my direction. That, combined with the slumped shoulders told me that there was something bothering my lover immensely.
 
And the fact that there was no ice bucket in sight meant that what ever it was, it was important enough to derail my loves one track mind.
 
"Ruka dear? What's wrong?" I ask softly with concern.
 
I watch as she tries to speak several times, only to stop herself, all the while refusing to look at me. After a moment, she sighs deeply and runs a hand through her hair. "It's just...well, you see...I need you to go next door and talk to Ami.'
 
"Ami? What's wrong with Ami?" I asked with confusion.
 
"Sigh...It's best if you find out for yourself." she told me, her voice thick with resignation. "I have to see if I can find Setsuna."
 
Haruka then turned and left the room, still without looking at me, leaving me in a state of confusion. Why do I have to talk to Ami? And what does Setsuna have to do with it? Realizing that there was only one way to find answers to my questions, I slip off the bed and carefully remove my lingerie; after all, it wouldn't do to go prancing around outside in next to nothing. After putting the clothing away, I pull out a modest nightgown and, slipping on a robe, I exit our room.
 
Stepping out into the hall, I tighten the belt of the robe and cross over to Ami's and Setsuna's room. Seeing no one else in the hallway, I quietly knock on the door. After getting no answer, I notice that the door is propped open with an ice bucket.
 
My confusion and curiosity mounting, I carefully open the door. "Ami-chan? Are you in there?" I call softly and I step inside the room and slowly close the door behind me; making sure the bucket is no longer in the way "It's me, Michiru….Ami-chan? Are you all right?...I'm coming in..."
 
After the door is shut, I walk into the room and see the blue-haired girl sitting quietly on one of the beds, her shoulders slumped and her face contorted into a look of sheer agony. Hearing a soft, muffled sob, I quickly move over to the bed and sit next to her. Putting a comforting arm around her shoulders, I'm surprised when she turns and latches onto me like a life preserver as she begins to cry.
 
I don't know for sure how long the two of us sat there while Ami cried her poor little heart out and I tried to comfort her with soothing words and hugs. I knew why Haruka wanted me to talk with Ami; seeing that my lover had difficulty dealing with crying girls; but I was still unsure as to what our housemate had to do with this. Whenever I tried to ask Ami about Setsuna, it only started another bout of tears. All I knew was that Ami was one of the most levelheaded and emotionally stable people I knew and whatever had effected her so badly must have been extremely bad.
 
Eventually, her tears subsided enough for me to excuse myself and I quickly made my way to the bathroom. Finding a pitcher there, I filled it with water and, grabbing a pair of glasses and a box of tissues, I made my way back into the room. Setting them down on the nightstand, I maneuvered Ami up onto the bed by the headboard and filled one of the glasses. I handed the blue-haired girl several tissues and, after a little prompting; she blew her nose and tried to wipe her tear-stained face. Joining her on the bed, I handed her the water; which she gulped down quickly, I put an arm around her shoulders again and began to talk to her.
 
"What's wrong, Ami-chan? What happened? You know you can tell me anything, right?" I prompt softly.
 
Ami sniffles a few times and wipes her nose with the balled up tissues she clutched in one hand before she begins to speak hesitantly. "I...I don't know…I was here when Set...Setsuna-san came back after what happened and I...I saw she was stressed and I offered to...to give her a back-rub and...and she was starting to re-relax when she...she muttered something and suddenly got all tense and she pu-pushed me off of her and she...and she ran out and I...and I..."
 
"Shush. It's Ok, Ami-chan…It's alright." I softly say and I take the glass from her and place it back onto the nightstand. Pulling her into a hug; I run a hand through her soft hair; mystified as why Ami was so bothered by how Setsuna reacted. "What was it she said, dear? Do you remember?"
 
"I...I don't know..." she sobbed quietly.”Something like...pi...or, or maybe pie. I just...I just don't..."
 
---Silver Millennium---
 
"Ummm….."
 
"Ahhhh!"
 
"Ohhh...Kei..."
 
I knew it wasn't a good idea to let Kei trick me into going on a little stroll in the Imperial Gardens before the ball began. We've been close friends for over a decade and a half and have been working together for over nine years, but it was only in the past few years that the two of us had begun to realize that what we felt for each other was something more that simple friendship. I remembered how Lady Lumiere, my teacher and predecessor, had mentioned several times that the Senshi of Neptune and Uranus were very close because they were often off by themselves for long periods of time. I didn't think too much of it then, since she and Lady Kirko were sisters, however I had since had plenty of time to consider her words.
 
So, when Kei suggested going for a walk before we got ready, I agreed. Of course, I should have protested when she pulled the two of us off of the path and into some bushes.
 
Not that I was complaining too much, after all; Kei did have talented fingers.
 
I was dimly aware of the sound of voices around us, however I was more concern with what Kei's fingers were doing; that was until they suddenly stopped. Looking up into my lovers' face, I noticed that she was looking out through the bushes around us and out onto the path. Rolling over I peered through the branches and, to my surprise, I saw Pai being kissed by...what was her name? Oh yea, Rion.
 
Kei and I rarely had the time or opportunity to visit the Lunar Palace, so it wasn't surprising that I didn't recognize the Jovian Senshi out of her uniform. However, ever since that day seven years ago when the two of us rescued her from those Youma, I've had a bit of a soft spot for the young Senshi of Ice. In fact, I've always made it a point to seek her out whenever I was in the inner system and talk with her...something Kei teases me relentlessly about.
 
At first, I think that the two girls decided to have a little 'quality time' together like Kei and I were, but when I noticed that Pai was pushing the taller girl away from her, I felt my blood run cold. Surprisingly, Kei placated me with a shake of her head and a firm grip on my shoulder, thus prevented me from moving out from our spot to protect Pai from the obviously unwanted advance.
 
A moment passed and Pai was able to push the taller girl away from her. "Rion...please, don't." I hear the blue-haired girl say gently.
 
"But, Pai..." Rion pleaded, "I...I love you. I've been in love with you for so long now..."
 
Pai smile sadly before she spoke in a pensive tone. "I love you too, Rion. But...but I'm not 'in' love with you. I'm sorry..."
 
"But...but why?" the brunette asked in a hurtful tone.
 
Pai turned her head slightly and softly said, "There...there's someone who I..."
 
"I see." Rion angrily interrupted her before the taller girl seemed to collapse inward.
 
The Jovian stood there dejectedly for a moment before she turned and began to walk way. "Rion...?" Pai started to say, worry evident in her voice.
 
"Not now, Pai. Just...not now." Rion said, not turning around. "Give...give me some time, alright?" she finished before walking away slowly.
 
From where we lay, Kei turned to look at me, raising her eyebrows questioningly. In return I shrug, doing my best to express my lack of knowledge. While Pai and I were friends, she was also a very private person; in fact, most of the time we spent together, she would spend talking about her Sensei, Lady Iria.
 
By that time, both Rion and Pai were out of sight and I was about to stand when a loud crack sounded from a tree a few feet away from where we were. A tangle of bodies landed at the base of the tree along with a broken branch.
 
"Get off of me!" A somewhat familiar voice yells from the pile.
 
"Ouches..." I recognized the princess voice as I saw her crawl from the pile and pull herself to her feet.
 
The third girl, who I realized, was Shuura; after all, I could never forget how she was first introduced to the court; jumped to her feet and grinned ecstatically. "See? See? I told you! But you didn't believe me!"
 
"Poor Rion." Princess Serenity said sadly.
 
"She'll be ok." the third girl, who I remembered was the Senshi of Mars; Myung, said as she placed a comforting arm on the princesses shoulder. "Rion is strong. She'll bounce back in no time."
 
"Myung? Shouldn't we do something to help her?" the princess asked.
 
With a gleam in her eye Shuura said, "Well, me and Myung could offer to be her sex-slaves. I'm sure that that would cheer her up!"
 
"What?!?" I heard Myung yell as I quickly placed a hand over Kei's mouth as she began to choke.
 
"Well, that would take her mind off of Pai. Right?" the blonde grinned wickedly, as the princess giggled.
 
With a snort, the dark haired Senshi of Mars fixed the blonde with a hard gaze. "Alright Miss 'Goddess of Love', you were right; I'll give you that. So tell us, who's this 'secret love' that Pai's interested in?"
 
The young Senshi of Venus puffed her chest up with confidence and raised a finger as if to make an important point. "That's a secret!" she announced; nearly causing the raven-haired woman to fall over, "Now come on, we gotta get changed for the Ball! I really want to get a good look at Prince Eatumup!"
 
"That's Prince Endymion, not 'Eatumup'." Myung corrected irritably.
 
"Then you obviously haven't seen any vids of him." Shuura admonished before grinning; "I definitely want to eat-um-up!"
 
As the three girls left, the two blondes giggling while Myung muttered under her breath, I found myself curious as to whom Pai was interested in. I figured that since we would be on the Moon for several days, I would seek out my friend and subtlety question her. Out of the corner of my eye I notice a flash of emerald green hair and I'm about to stand when Kei grabbed me by the arm and pulled me back to the ground.
 
"Now," she growled seductively, sending a shiver down my spine, "where were we…"
 
---Present Time---
 
The sudden rush of memories overwhelm me for a moment as I realize that Setsuna wasn't saying 'Pie' but 'Pai', as in Ami's earlier incarnation. Holding the crying girl in my arms, I try to sift through the thoughts in my head. I know that both Haruka and I have both had flashbacks to our previous lives, but never had the others been involved in our recollections. Little pieces suddenly click together as I remembered a little bit more about our lives in the Silver Millennium, like the other's names and how similar our personalities are now to how they were then. But there was something I knew I was missing…something important.
 
Before I could try to follow that thought further, Ami let out a low moan and cried out as fresh tears began to flow.
 
"Why! What's wrong with me?! W-w-why doesn't Setsuna-san like me? Am I not good enough or...or smart enough or...or att-attractive enough for h-h-her?"
 
'Ami has a crush on Setsuna?!' I think to myself, stunned. I knew she was interested in someone, but Setsuna? That wasn't something I would have guessed in a million years.
 
Pushing my surprise to the side, I decide to concentrate on the here and now. Cradling the stricken Ami to me, I rocked softly as I stroked her hair and back and try to sooth her wounded emotions. Eventually, she calms down again and I reach over and grab a handful of tissues. Gently turning her face until our eyes meet, I wipe the tears from her face and begin talking.
 
"Now Ami-chan, listen to me. You are a very beautiful, smart, caring, and thoughtful young woman. There is absolutely nothing 'wrong' with you; understand?"
 
"but...setsuna..." Ami said in a small voice.
 
"Listen, Ami-chan. I know for fact there are people who find you very attractive." I state firmly.
 
"Who…who would like someone like me?" she asked with a sniffle.
 
"What about Makoto?"
 
Confusion evident in her eyes, Ami asks, "What...what about Mako-chan? She's just a friend."
 
I frown for a moment before an idea comes to me. With a small smile, I lean forward and kiss Ami on the lips. I hold the kiss long enough for her to know I'm serious before I break off and look back into her eyes.
 
"Mi-Michiru-san?" she asked, stunned.
 
"As I said, Ami-chan. There are people who find you very attractive." I say softly.
 
"But-but, what about Haruka-san?"
 
Smiling softly, I explain. "I love Haruka dearly. But just because I love her, doesn't mean I can't find myself attracted to someone else. She knows what I think of you, Ami-chan, and she doesn't mind. And I know she is attracted to others, but I also know that I am the one that she loves." My smile turns to a sly grin, "Of course, I'm still trying to get Haruka to understand the whole 'look, but don't touch' thing."
 
As Ami giggles softly, I take a moment to pour both of us a glass of water. I hand Ami her glass before taking a sip of mine. I watch as she takes the glass in both hands and peers deep into the water. After a moment, I finally break the silence.
 
"So…do you want to talk about it?" I ask gently. "Perhaps I might be able to help."
 
A few more moments pass in silence before Ami nods. Taking a drink of water, she begins to talk. "Well, the first time I saw her was when we were fighting the Black Moon Family. When I saw her, there...there was just something about her..."
 
------
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Notes...
 
Well, after a long hiatus, I finally gotten back to this. In truth, this
has been one of the hardest chapters for me to work on. But don't
worry, now that I have this one done, I can finally get on with the
rest of the story.
 
Now...just to get motivated on my other stories...
 
As Always any C&C would be appreciated at whiteb100@hotmail.com
 
06/03/05