Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A wavering of the heart ❯ ch. 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 10

The pair walked down the path towards the exit of the park still side by side and hand in hand; having silently agreed that for at least tonight they would just be happy spending time together like they did before the incident.

To most people they must have seemed like any other young couple in love, but they could feel the slight tension between them, due to the fact that Usagi didn't trust him quite like she used to… it was like a flash back to the days when they were in love with each other yet pretended to hate one-another except without the tension relieving verbal battles.

They walked out of the park and down the street in companionable silence, not noticing that they were being followed at a distance by non other than Melanie, in a dress to kill out fit.

Together they entered a little Italian place called "Pastadina Racanelli's" and were quickly guided to a table.

Meanwhile Melanie watched them through narrowed eyes from behind a tree which was growing just across the street. She waited patiently bidding her time, until the perfect moment arose when she would enter and ruin the tentative relationship that was re-forming between the pair.

Back inside the Restaurant

Usagi and Mamoru's table was in a corner by the window with a nice view out onto the street. The restaurant had that low, romantic lighting with each red-checker clothed table having a single candle placed upon it, and romantic music played by a live band in the background.

"So, what have you been doing this summer?" questioned Usagi as she examined the menu

"Oh nothing much, just a little studying, and I went to the beach a couple of times. Other than that I've been mainly thinking about you." he stated looking deep into her eyes

"Oh" said Usagi blushing lightly, "well, I went to a couple of parties, shopping, and I studied quite a bit. Other than worrying about you because Kevin said you weren't acting like yourself" she finished her eyes suddenly filled with guilt as a silence grew between them,

"Oh Mamo-chan, I should have e-mailed you more often. I'm so sorry!" she sobbed

"Shh Usako, its ok" he said wiping the tears from her eyes with a napkin.

"Mamo-chan" she murmured mentally adding a point to his tally

"So, what are we going to do about us?" questioned Mamoru when her tears had ceased.

"Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see….. " Usagi began to reply

"Excuse me, are you ready to order" interrupted the waiter

"Uh, yes we are" stated Mamoru casting a quick glance at his companion

"So, what will it be" asked the waiter asked looking at Usagi to take her order.

"I'll have the spaghetti and meatballs, and a Raspberry margarita"

"Very good and for you sir?"

"I'll also have the spaghetti and meatballs, with a peach margarita"

"Mhmm, Excellent choice!" said the waiter walking off only to return moments later with a basket of bread…

Food ordered the pair sat in companionable silence thinking while looking out the window. Suddenly Mamoru burst out,

"Damn! That girl just doesn't know the meaning of the words No!"

"Who?" questioned Usagi looking around puzzled

"Melanie, that's who" Mamoru explained pointing to a partially hidden bench across the street. "she's there… on that bench" sure enough Melanie was sitting on a bench trying to be inconspicuous while holding a pair of binoculars to her eyes, and spying on them.

"What's she doing?" asked Usagi

"Oh, probably following me again" said Mamoru, and at Usagi's quizzical expression continued "she's been doing that off and on for the past couple months"

"Oh……" mouthed Usagi as her favourite song began to play .Standing she grabbed Mamoru by the hand and literally dragged him onto the dance floor. With his arms about her waist and the scent of her fruity shampoo filling his nostrils and her slightly stronger smell of strawberries and vanilla, they swayed in time to the music. Bodies pressed against each other, her head resting comfortably against shirt, inhaling the comforting mixture of cinnamon and roses…. Sighing, Usagi looked up into a pair of sapphire blue eyes, and felt herself drown in the emotions written their, as their owner drowned in her own sky blue eyes. Slowly Mamoru bent to kiss her, and as he did her hands automatically snaked up his back to twine themselves in his raven hair. The intensity of their longing washed through them like a wave of molten lava. Touching them deep inside… and flowing outwards, in a soul shattering merger of their love.

But like all good things their kiss had to come to an end…. And it did so reluctantly when a familiar, but unwanted voice exclaimed,

"DARIEN! How could you!" they separated and turned together to see Melanie standing, hands on hips, hurt expression on her face, and a scheming glint in her eyes.

"Melanie" Spat Usagi "gives it up. I won't fall for your tricks a second time!" she finished leading him back towards their table where she spotted the waiter dropping off their food.

"Darien! Tell her….. It's me you love!" Melanie cried desperately after his retreating figure.

Stopping Mamoru turned abruptly and stated in a deathly cold voice, filled with withheld rage,

"Melanie…. Get this through that thick skull of yours! I NEVER loved you! I NEVER DID …. I just thought that I might like you… and that turned out to be nothing more than lust… so just go away! Leave me alone!

Because Usagi is the ONLY woman I ever really loved!"

'Check!' thought Usagi 'one point for Mamo-chan! On my trust counter'

while the exchange continued with Mamoru turning his back on Melanie as she stared at him in open mouth shock before breaking out into fake tears and balling,

"Darien, how could you do this too me….. I thought you loved me….' as the waiter said,

"Excuse me miss, but you need to come with me"

"WAIT!" Melanie shrieked as the waiter placed a firm but gentle hand on her arm and lead her towards the door, "Darien! Are you going to let them do this to me?"

Mamoru just ignored her and sat down with his angel; as the waiter shoved her out the front door, slamming it in her face.

Smouldering with anger Melanie marched across the street and plopped down on the bench immediately opposite the restaurant thinking, 'well.. If that's the way it's going to be, Darien, then I'll just have to do everything in my power….. To stop you and that goody too shoes from getting back together…' then she sat staring darkly at Usagi millions of plots running through her brain all with one common theme. How to get rid of Usagi and get Darien all too herself!