Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Altered Destinies! ❯ Cold Snap! Three ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cold Snap! Part Three

The Snow Queen gazed at her servants with an expression of honest surprise. "They defeated you?" she asked them angrily.

The Snow Dancers sang a keening cry of apology, twirling and dancing even as they tried to hover there in midair.

"There is another way," the Snow Queen said softly, "slower, but it will not attract their attention! Go to the north, and dance the cold there!" She commanded them, and the disappeared, only to reappear above the northern seas.

There, they flew above the turbulent waters, coating them in a film of ice, building new glaciers in the normally open seas. And the world slowly grew colder.

Usagi and Minako sat side by side on the car racing game, Minako having defeated the other girl with deceptive ease. Usagi looked at the GAME OVER screen in disbelief, then looked over at Minako, "I never knew an old lady could play video games that well."

Minako made a face and hit Usagi in the upper arm. "Treat your elders with respect," she said with false dignity, then she grinned.

Rei and Natsuna stood nearby, watching as their respective girlfriends sat there making fools of themselves. "Who's idea was it to come here anyway?" Rei asked Natsuna quietly, looking around at the Crown video game parlor.

Natsuna grinned at Rei, "They're both game maniacs, sadly." She shook her head, watching them start up the machine for another round, "You wouldn't believe the amount of change they go through at times."

Ami and Makoto watched them as well, Ami cuddled into the protective curve of Makoto's arm. Any people who might have had a problem with them had quickly decided that it was not wise to mess with Makoto. Especially after she broke the punching bag on the strength testing game with only one strong blow.

Minako won yet another race, leaving Usagi in the virtual dust. Usagi threw her hands in the air in disgust before calling out to Rei, "Take me away from all this!" Rei laughed, helping pull Usagi up to her feet.

"How about a Sundae?" Rei suggested to Usagi, and she grinned as her girlfriend's eyes lit up happily. "Let's go," she laughed, taking her over to the sundae stand.

"Who's going to race me now?" Minako complained cutely. Both Ami and Makoto quickly made negative hand motions and Natsuna had to laugh at the cute little pout that appeared on her girlfriend's face.

"Most people who come here have learned not to take you on," Natsuna chuckled. Minako crossed her arms in front of her and was about to say something when a figure smoothly climbed into the other seat.

"I'll race you," the sandy hared, very pretty young man said with a charming smile. He was still in his school uniform, and it looked very good on him.

Minako looked up at Natsuna questioningly, and the older woman nodded to her just a little. "Sure," she smiled at him.

"I'll give you a lap head start, just to make it fair," he said, sitting back and not even touching the game's controls.

Minako gave him a considering look, then she smiled slowly. "If you really want to," she said with a little grin on her face. The game started, she leaned over in concentration, and focused her full attention on the screen.

A few moments later and he looked at the screen in front of him with an expression of honest disbelief on his handsome face. "I... lost?" he said in a certain amount of shock and disbelief. Soft laughter came from behind them, and a green hared girl walked over to put her hand on the sandy hared figure's shoulder.

"Call all the newspapers," she said with a impish smile, "Tenoh Haruka actually lost at something." She looked over to where Minako was sitting, "Tell me, was she cocky enough to give you a one lap lead?"

"She," Minako echoed her words in surprise, then she shook her head with a smile. "Yes, I'm afraid she did give me the lead," she answered the question with a grin. "Otherwise, I don't think I would have beat her," Minako conceded.

"I'm Kaioh Michiru," the green hared girl said, offering her hand politely, "and my still slightly shell shocked girlfriend is Tenoh Haruka."

Minako stood to shake her hand, even as a recovered Haruka got up beside them. Minako and Natsuna introduced themselves and their friends, and the whole group decided to retire for a round of hot fudge sundaes.

Ami looked at the two young woman admiringly. She was so surprised by their frankness about their sexuality that she was almost speechless. Makoto stepped up to smile and bow, "Nice to meet you."

"I still can't believe that I lost," Haruka softly sighed, and mournfully ate another spoonful of her ice-cream.

"Don't mind her," Michiru said with a smile, "it just doesn't happen to her very often." She looked at the mixed group, fixing her gaze on Minako and Natsuna, the adults amount the teens. "Are you here with one of your children?" she asked, her gaze sliding to Usagi.

"I'm not old enough to have kids," Minako cried out in shock, nearly spraying them with her mouthful of sundae.

Rei was patting a sputtering Usagi on the back, even as she smiled to Michiru, "We're all friends, actually." She suddenly realized that she had no convincing story in mind to explain how they all met. Other than the truth, which was totally unsuitable.

Michiru blushed a bit, "I'm terribly sorry." Her voice got teasing as she added, "There is quite a resemblance, though," and looked between the two girls meaningfully.

Ami, Makoto, Rei and Natsuna were all visibly trying to hold back their laughter as Usagi and Minako tried to find anything to say in return. The effort became too great, and they just broke up laughing.

"We'd better take off before we do some real damage," Haruka said, getting up from her seat. "It was nice meeting you all," she added in parting.

Michiru smiled sweetly. "Sorry for any misunderstanding," she said with a small bow. She added, "I hope we run into you again soon."

Outside the Crown the walked closely together for protection from the unseasonably cold weather. "The Senshi are good people," Michiru said to Haruka quietly. "Do you think they like us?" she asked her a bit nervously.

"I still can't believe I lost the game," Haruka complained with a little smile on her face. Michiru punched at her arm hard, "Ow!" Haruka smiled down at her lover reassuringly, "No, I think it'll be fine."

They walked together for a bit, but Michiru pulled away from her once they reached a certain corner. "I have violin practice tonight," she sighed sadly, and looked up at Haruka entreatingly "will you be OK at home without me?"

"Oh, I'm sure I'll manage," Haruka said with a smile and a little shrug. But despite what she said to Michiru, she made her way back home a bit sadly, only giving a nod to the doorman of their apartment building.

"You have a guest waiting," he said with a small smile.

Haruka tensed, wondering if an enemy had somehow discovered their home. She made her way quickly down the hallway and around the corner to her door, coming to a sudden stop.

Luna uncurled from where she lay in front of Haruka's door, looking up at her to "Meow" at her softly, the yellow ribbon still snugly tied around her neck.

Later the next day Rei smiled fondly at her Grandfather as they worked together to clear the piles of leaves all over the walkway. The fall had seemed to come much faster this year. Her breath showed in puffs of white as she worked. 'Is it just me,' she thought to herself, 'or is it much colder than it should be?'

"We've got company," Grandpa whispered to her softly, adding with a smile, "and she's a looker, too." He retreated inside to quickly tidy himself for the pretty lady.

Rei shook her head at her grandfather's behavior before she took a look up to see the lady who was approaching them.

The tall woman walked up the shrine steps, her black hair swinging around her. She was dressed very well, looking like a successful business woman. The only out of place thing was the green tint to her dark hair.

Rei frowned, she looked strangely familiar, as if she had met her a long, long time ago. She shook herself, and smiled to the woman, "Welcome to the shrine."

"Thank you," she said with a smile. She stood there a moment, hesitating, before she continued, "My name is Setsuna."

"Rei Hino," she said in reply, returning the taller woman's bow. She saw something almost amused in her eyes as she stood back up.

"I know," Setsuna responded. At Rei's sudden frown she continued, "You are the famous miko of this shrine, are you not?"

"Not so famous," Rei said with a little blush.

Setsuna reached out to take the surprised girl's arm, smiling at her sweetly as she asked, "Why don't you tell me about it?"

Rei gently pulled her arm free, and Setsuna frowned slightly. 'Doesn't she feel the bond between us?' Setsuna thought angrily.

"A miko's life isn't all that interesting," Rei said to her dismissively. Before Setsuna could say anything in reply, Rei's Grandfather bustled out, his robes completely spotless and what remained of his hair combed back neatly. Rei nearly broke out laughing as he stood by Setsuna, smiling up at the tall woman winningly.

It was obvious that the other woman had no idea how to deal with the situation, and quickly excused herself. Rei saw her give a glance towards her over her shoulder, a determined expression on her beautiful face.

"Something strange going on here," Rei said to herself quietly. Her face lit up, as she saw Usagi walking up the shrine steps towards her.

Luna went home from another day spent at Haruka's apartment, feeling oddly troubled. 'It's not like there's anyone else there,' she thought to herself. So far she had only seen the green hared girl there once, the rest of the time Luna was alone with her.

Haruka had talked about that today, how Michiru was preparing for a big concert and because of that she needed to practice her violin a great deal. Haruka had said it all calmly, but her expression had seemed incredibly lonely to Luna.

The sandy hared woman had held Luna close, sitting in her favorite chair, petting her gently for a few minutes, then she began to speak. She talked about many things, in that half aware way people had with pets, about her relationship with Michiru, her life and her racing. The way she talked about the races, it was almost like Luna could feel the wind through her own fur.

Luna cut through the park for a shortcut to Minako's home, but she slowed when she saw two familiar figures sitting on a bench together. Rei had her arm across Usagi's shoulder as they watched the sun slowly begin to dip below the horizon.

Usagi said something, and Rei turned to her with a slowly widening smile. She pulled Usagi closer to her, then she slid a finger under Usagi's chin to tip her face up a little. Rei bent down towards her slowly and gently touched her lips to Usagi's in a sweet kiss.

Luna watched, and remembered, even long into the evening. Usagi was getting ready to go to bed when Luna got up the nerve to ask her, "What do you and Rei do, when you're alone?"

Usagi looked a bit surprised at Luna's interest, but she answered her gamely. "We talk about our days, what's been happening with our lives. She talks about her work at the shrine, and then..." she trailed off meaningfully.

"And then?" Luna asked Usagi eagerly from her perch on top of the dresser.

"She usually falls asleep on the couch from working too hard," Usagi admitted with a sigh. Luna fell right off the dresser with a loud thump. "Are you all right?" Usagi asked her worriedly.

"I'm fine," Luna said, after shaking her head to clear any dizziness. She jumped back up on to the dresser, noticing Usagi working to open a small glass bottle. She opened it, and the soft sent of roses wafted out. "What's that?"

"Popouri," Usagi explained, letting Luna smell some. She sat down and smiled up at Luna, "It's okay, when Rei falls asleep. I know she does that because she feels safe with me."

Luna digested that thoughtfully. She asked tentatively, "What's it like, kissing?" Luna blushed furiously, thinking of what she saw earlier.

"Kissing?" Usagi echoed. She smiled dreamily, "It's like the sweetest chocolate melting in your mouth." She reached out reflexedly, pulling a struggling Luna close as she flopped back on the bed with a smile.

Once Usagi was asleep, Luna got up on the dresser and struggled to open the small bottle of popouri. Eventually, after receiving a mild concussion from knocking the bottle over, she got it open and dusted herself lightly. She headed off into the night until she reached the apartment building, then she carefully climbed up the outside to Haruka's apartment. She slid the window open and noticed that Haruka was sleeping alone again.

Haruka's eyes opened and she smiled sadly when she saw Luna. "At least one of my ladies is here tonight," she said as she reached out to gently pull Luna close to her. The scent of roses reached her, and she smiled sleepily, "That smells nice."

Haruka dozed off, a little smile lingering on her face. Luna slipped out of her grip to stand by Haruka's face, bending over her slightly. She hesitated a moment, then bent her face forward to kiss Haruka gently on the lips.