Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Changed by an Angel ❯ CBAA - Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Changed by an Angel

Chapter: 3

Author: Ashlee Angel

Email: ashlee_c69@hotmail.com

Disclaimer - Sailor Moon belongs to Naoko Takeuchi..... And frankly, I'm not Naoko Takeuchi

*.:.*.:.*.:.*.:.* Chapter 3 *.:.*.:.*.:.*.:.*

* Recap *

Taking out his crystal dome, he examined it closely, not even sure what he was looking for.

Then as if out of nowhere, he found it.

There were only eleven petals.

. . .

He recounted the petals again.

Eleven . . . 'Impossible! It's been hardly a day. . . . I'll worry about it tomorrow, right now, I have a certain ray of sunshine to follow. . . . Heck, I might even be able to convince her to throw away those tattered overalls.'

Then an idea hit him. . . .

* Scene Change - In the kitchen *

"But MOM! I don't wanna..."

"That's no excuse, you are going if I have to drag you there myself."

"And the whole point of this is?" Serena demanded.

"Serena, it's time you start making friends, and stop dressing like an imbecile! Besides, Evan's a nice boy, you two will get along fine."

"Making me go out with him will not mean we'll get along fine!"

"Now Serena, you are going, end of discussion."

"Just because he's some huge business person's son, does NOT mean I have to go out with him."

"If this wasn't a big deal, I would've let you off, but he SPECIFICALLY requested for YOU to show him around and go to dinner with him. So be nice Sere, he just came from Australia."

"I don't give a-"

"Watch your mouth young lady."

"Fine, but he doesn't even know what I look like. You think he would want to hang around with a freak?"

"Then dress like yourself for once!"

"But-"

"No buts! Now go to your room to finish your homework. Oh yeah, one more thing, your father and I are attending a business meeting in New York, and we won't be back for a week," Serena's mom finished as she walked out of the kitchen.

Serena sighed. "This is NOT good. . . ."

Getting herself a glass of milk, she sat down on a stool, oblivious to a certain someone who was sitting beside her.

'So that's what she's so mad about,' Darien mused.

'I'll leave her to think everything over . . . she'll need rest, 'cause she's going to be frantic tomorrow morning. . . .'

* The next morning (Still author's POV) *

"Ugh! Where the hell are they?!?" a frantic Serena exclaimed, turning her room inside out. "I could've sworn that I left them on the floor . . . ooh, it better not have been mom, or else I'll freak . . . but who else would throw away my clothes?!?!"

Sighing, she collapsed on a heap of clothes in the middle of the floor.

'I better do my hair then,' Serena thought as she got up to do her hair. . . .

(Soon after)

"THAT'S IT! Enough is enough! MOM!! WHERE ARE MY HAIR ELASTICS?! "

She got silence for an answer.

'Stupid! They're in New York . . . . well, in that case, there is no way I'm going to school today.' Eyeing the mess in her room, she decided she might as well clean up. Slipping into a pair of flares and sports bra, she started attacking the heap of clothes on the floor.

*2 hours later*

"Done! And about time, too," Serena said as she flopped down on her bed. 'Who would've thought that cleaning would take more energy than playing volleyball.'

Just as she was about to drift off to sleep, she was awakened by the doorbell. 'Who's at the . . . wait a minute . . . how would they have gotten past the front gate?'

She pondered the issue before deciding that she might as well go see who it is. She had nothing better to do at the moment. 'Wonder why William didn't get the door yet?' she thought to herself as she reached the door. Not even bothering to look at the security camera to check who it is, she turned the handle and swung the door open.

* Scene Change (At School) *

'Dammit . . . she didn't show up. It's already time for second block. She wasn't supposed to skip school.'

Darien hadn't expected her to be so stubborn. 'Well, Serena, you're coming if I have to drag you here myself.' He paused. 'Was it just me, or did I just sound like her mother?'

In a flash of light, Darien appeared at her doorstep. He rang the doorbell and waited . . . and waited . . . and waited. He was expecting the butler to open the door right away, but no one came.

A while later, the door swung open to reveal Serena herself. When she saw Darien, any color left in her face drained away. 'This is NOT possible. I'm just exhausted, this is all just a dream,' she kept telling herself.

Opening her eyes, though she didn't remember closing them, she hoped to find herself in bed staring at the ceiling. But no, the gods just had to put Darien at her doorstep.

'She's not sick, is she?' Darien thought as he studied Serena's deathlike complexion. She gave Darien one last look-over before her knees gave out and she fainted on him.

Darien reeled back a bit from the impact, but caught her just the same. "Nice to see you, too."

* In Serena's room *

'Maybe I shouldn't have come.' Darien sighed inaudibly as he watched over Serena. Two minutes ago, he could've snapped his fingers and she would've been in bed, but there were too many security cameras. So he had to carry her upstairs to her room. 'At least she's getting the color back in her cheeks. . . .'

He kneeled down beside her, not taking his eyes off her breathing profile. 'She's quite pretty . . . beautiful, actually. She almost reminds me of a girl I helped nearly a millennium ago....'

Just as Darien was about to enter a flashback, he saw Serena shift. "Serena?" he asked quietly, just incase she wasn't awake yet.

Serena opened her eyes partially, and saw everything in a blur. Slowly, as things came into focus, she found Darien gazing down at her.

"You okay, Serena?" Darien asked softly, afraid something was wrong.

He got a scream in reply. Clamping his hand on her mouth, he hoped she'd stop before someone came. Instead of cooperating, she bit him.

Withdrawing his hand, he hissed out a series of curses. Satisfied that he had no other way to stop her, she readied herself to let out another scream. But her cry was muffled when Darien pressed his lips against hers.

His lips were soft. 'Almost like... rose petals?' she thought. But he broke off the kiss as quickly as it came. Not wanting to get attached to the feeling of her lips against his.

'That IDIOT! He kissed me!' Serena thought, trying to conceal the fact that she might've enjoyed it.

'Tell me I didn't just do that,' Darien thought. 'At least it shut her up.' Meeting her gaze, he realized that she was expecting a rationalization of what just happened.

"It was the only way you'd be quiet."

"B-but you kissed me!"

"Is that against the law?"

"No, but still! Ugh! You moron! And anyway, what're you doing here?" Serena demanded, changing the subject.

"I came to check up on you in case you were sick or something. 'Cause you didn't come to school today," Darien explained, hoping she'd buy it. 'At least it's not a total lie.' "So where're your parents?"

"They're in New York for the week."

'Perfect!' "Lucky you. . . ." Darien paused before continuing, "So why didn't you come to school today?"

"I'm . . . sick."

"Really? You want me to take your temperature? I'll go buy you some cold medicine if you want," Darien offered, knowing very well that she was lying.

"No!" Serena rushed out. "I mean that's alright, I'm fine now."

"So you'll come to school tomorrow?"

"Umm . . . I'm not so sure. . . ."

"We'll worry about that later. Right now, since I'm already here, I might as well keep you company. You don't mind, do you?"

"N-no. . . but can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Who are you?"

Darien's smile immediately disappeared off his face. 'She can't know anything, can she?' Checking to make sure he wasn't floating or anything, he turned back to her and attempted to answer her. "Well . . . umm . . . why do you ask? Do you think that I'm not really Darien Shields?"

'Oh no, he's not smiling anymore, oh God, please don't let him be mad.' "No, it's not that. It's just that no one's ever been nice to me before . . . I mean, you practically became the most popular guy in school as soon as you stepped out of your car. And here you are, keeping a loner like me company."

Relieved, Darien's smile came back to refine his features. "Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure a lot of people would keep you company if they got to know you . . . and besides, since you're sick, you need to cheer up, so how 'bout we play Truth or Dare?"

Serena's cheerless expression immediately became one of amusement. She cocked an eyebrow at him. "Since when do guys suggest playing Truth or Dare?"

"Then what do you propose we do, since you are sick."

Serena sighed. "Alright," she agreed. Nervously fidgeting with her fingers and sinking deeper into the covers, she mumbled, "But first, do you mind grabbing me a shirt?" a slight tinge of pink staining her cheeks.

"Why?" Darien asked, as if he had no clue what she was talking about.

"Darien!" Taking a deep breath, she continued, trying to finish what she had to say as simply as possible. "I don't think I feel comfortable talking to you in a sports bra."

"Oh," was all Darien could utter, finally understanding what she meant, as he eyed her black sports bra. Then realizing how stupid he must've sounded, he got up and walked over to her closet as fast as his legs would take him. 'Smooth Shields, real smooth . . . when was the last time you had a girl limit you to one word sentences?'

But Serena didn't seem to acknowledge his sprint toward her closet. She was too busy cursing her bad luck. 'I probably looked like a sun burnt tomato. Ugh! I should've changed before I went to answer the door. . . '

Shaking her head in humiliation, she sunk even deeper in bed.

* Darien's POV *

Idiot! Now she probably thinks I'm more stupid than I already am. She might even think that I didn't WANT her to put anything else on.

Frustrated, I ran a hand through my hair. The last thing I need is for her to think I'm some perverted fool. Then remembering that what I was here for, I started going through her closet.

How hard could it be to pick out a shirt?

*5 minutes later*

This is definitely NOT easy.

Going through my mental dictionary, I remembered one of the definitions for clothing was 'to cover'. Looking back at her collection, I let out a low whistle.

Half the clothes in here do NOT fit the right criteria. 'Too bad Shields, hurry up and pick something.' Okay . . . it can't be too revealing . . . that wouldn't help her impression of me. Can't be too tacky either . . . she'd think I have no taste in clothing.

And nothing too plain, or else she'll think I'm boring. Not too fancy . . . she'll think I'm insane. . . . Hell, why do I even care what she thinks of me?

Maybe it's to my advantage that there's nothing in here that a social pariah would wear. She has enough designer clothes to last a lifetime...

*10 minutes later*

Maybe I should hurry up . . . but nothing seemed right. I mean sure, she'd look great in everything, but nothing she'd be satisfied with at the moment. I analyzed the shirt I had in my hand at the moment, "White, tight, no sleeves, no straps, flared out halfway. . . ." I paused, "And transparent."

Next.

The next one wasn't so bad. Actually, it's probably the best one here, considering she's sick. Then realizing I found something appropriate, I let out a huge sigh of relief. Happy with my selection, I walked out of Serena's closet, "Hey Ser-"

The sentence ended there. After spotting the two of them, the words wouldn't come. Yes, the TWO of them. . . .

Serena was sitting on the bed . . . with some guy.

* Author's POV *

Darien watched them intently, concealed in the shadows, not realizing that his fists were clenched. 'What was she doing with him? More importantly, what was he doing here?' The guy looked about 20, a mop of mahogany brown hair, about his height, but Darien couldn't tell what color his eyes were.

Suddenly, the guy, whoever he was, got up, probably ready to leave, Darien guessed. Standing up, the guy gave Serena a hug, and whispered something in her ear that made her laugh.

She in return whispered something that sounded like. . . . 'Elephant shoe?'

'Huh?' Darien shook his head, maybe he heard wrong, but elephant shoe? He then looked back just in time to see the guy walk out, closing the door behind him. Seeing that Serena was alone again, he walked over to where she was sitting. 'Hope the shirt's not wrinkled.'

"Hey Darien," Serena greeted, a huge smile on her face, her eyes still dancing with laughter. "Didn't get lost did you?"

"No, but nothing in there was umm . . . appropriate enough for someone that's sick." 'Great going Shields, you know how lame that sounded?' "So this was the best I could do." Darien said, giving her the shirt he picked out.

She looked it over. It was a thin, navy blue, off the shoulder sweater. "Perfect."

While she was slipping it over her head, Darien was debating whether or not to mention that guy. "So . . . umm . . . who was that guy that was just in here?" Darien asked, looking at the floor.

'Why would he care?' But Serena heard the nervousness in his voice. Wanting to laugh really bad, but knowing that it wouldn't help the situation, she just smiled.

Darien was nervous. The calm and collected Darien Shields was actually nervous. "You know, curiosity killed the cat."

"Answer's brought it back," Darien said, finally lifting his head to meet her gaze.

Serena laughed. "Alright fine, the guy you saw a few minutes ago was Sammy."

"Your boyfriend?"

"No, that would be umm . . . wrong," Serena giggled at the thought.

"Why?" Darien asked, still clueless.

"Because he's my brother."

"Oh." 'Good going Shields, you let the girl limit you to one word sentences again.'

Seeing Darien's discomfort, she changed the subject. "So you still up for Truth or Dare?"

"Uh sure . . . but can I ask you something?"

"Sure, whatever you want," Serena said, a little confused.

"Promise not to laugh?"

"I'll try . . . but if the question's too stupid, I can't guarantee anything," Serena replied, her curiosity rising.

"Okay, well . . . this might sound weird, but what does elephant shoe mean?" Darien asked sheepishly, wishing it didn't seem as pathetic as it sounded.

Serena blinked. Then burst into a fit of giggles.

"What?"

Serena stopped to catch her breath, then seeing Darien's blank face, erupted into giggles again. Trying to catch her breath again, she said, "Go look in a mirror and mouth the words elephant shoe."

Still clueless, Darien obeyed. Standing in front of the mirror, he mouthed elephant shoe. Scratching his head, he still didn't get it. Mouthing the words again, he sighed. He looked absolutely ridiculous. "I give up."

Serena was biting her lips to keep from laughing. "Don't worry, you'll get it sooner or later."

"So you wanna play Truth or Dare now?" Darien asked, determined not to humiliate himself again.

"Sure, come sit down first," Serena said, plopping herself on a pillow, while Darien sat on the edge.

"So Darien, truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Ever been in love before?" Serena asked, staring out the window.

"Nope."

That caught Serena's attention. "Never?"

"Not ever."

"Ever plan to?"

"Nah."

"Why not?" Serena asked, quite curious.

"Not allowed."

"Huh?" 'He's not allowed to fall in love?' she thought, puzzled.

Realizing his mistake, he quickly tried to cover it up. "I mean I just don't think there's someone out there for me. . . ."

"Everyone has someone . . . they just might not find them in time," Serena said quietly, looking at her feet.

"I guess . . . so truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Why didn't you come to school today?"

Serena's head snapped up at the question. 'He knew I was lying'.

Tilting his head slightly forward, he looked at her expectantly, waiting for her answer.

"I . . . I . . . I . . . my ride wasn't here," she lied.

Darien didn't say anything for a while. "Look, it's okay if you don't want to tell me, but it might help if you told me the truth."

Serena didn't know why, but she was angry at him for trying to help her. "What would YOU know?! You just come barging into my life and you expect me to befriend you!? YOU'RE INSANE! I don't even know why you're here! You know what? I think you should leave. As in right now! So just please get out before I have to force you out!" she practically screamed at him.

"Fine, I'll go," Darien said, not sure where her outburst came from. But he'll give her

some time. Getting up off the bed, he walked out the door, closing it behind him.

Serena watched him leave, heaving out a huge sigh. She just had a 3 year old

tantrum. . . . Talk about embarrassing . . . she didn't even know what provoked her

to say that.

Looking at the door once more, she let out another sigh. 'Why me?'

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* 2 hours later *

After sitting on her butt for the last two hours, Serena decided to get a glass of water. She already felt bad about saying that to Darien, but it was his own damn fault! It's been barely two days that she's known him, and he expects her to become his best friend?! That's not even believable! 'Oh well.' Serena thought, as she reached her door.

Turning the handle, the door pulled - or pushed rather - open by itself. Then in a blur of black and white, she found herself looking down at a pair of cerulean eyes.

Darien, on his back, looked back up at Serena from his position at her feet.

"What are you doing on the floor?" she asked, though she was aiming for something more along the lines of 'What are you still doing HERE?'

"Well, I didn't expect you to open the door. But it's about time," Darien said, making no move to get up off the floor.

"You mean you sat out there for two hours?" Serena asked incredulously.

He just nodded.

"I was right. You are insane," she said. Then actually realizing that Darien was still on the floor, she moved her feet away from his head. "Aren't you going to get up?"

"No."

"Why not?" she asked.

"Because we're going to talk, and if you get angry, it'll be easier to kick me out the door," he reasoned.

"Interesting analysis."

"So you're going to talk?" Darien asked, though he doubted he would get everything out of her that easily.

"On one condition . . . you can't tell a single living soul, or else you're not going to want to live. Got it?"

"Yup. So I ask, you answer. Sound fair enough?"

Serena nodded. But she still felt a bit of discomfort talking to someone that was lying on the floor.

"Good. What's with the glasses?" Darien asked, deciding to keep first question easy.

"It's so no one can look me in the eye. It helps my confidence," she answered simply. And it was even the truth.

"How about the hair?"

"In middle school, all the kids were pulling my hair because they didn't think it was real. I don't think I want to go through that again," Serena said, thinking back to a few years ago. "It gave me a major headache, too."

Darien laughed a bit. "Alright then, how about the clothes then?"

Serena didn't reply for a while. She just seemed to be in deep thought. Then, finally turning back to Darien, she bit her lower lip. "I . . . I . . . don't really know. I guess it's because I want people to like me for me. And they would probably just laugh at me for trying to fit in anyway."

"Serena, how would you know if you didn't try?" he asked.

"But even if they did accept me as one of them, they'd be judging me by my appearance. Not who I am."

"You have to give them a chance first. I'll make you a deal, you be yourself tomorrow, and if anything bad happens, I'll do anything you want . . . for a month."

"Are you trying to bribe me?"

"If it works, why not? So will you do it?"

Serena smiled. "No."

Darien sighed. "Why not?"

"Everyone's gonna talk about me. And I don't like being talked about!" Serena snapped, crossing her arms in front of her.

"What's the worst that can happen?"

"I HATE that question!" she protested.

Darien rolled his eyes. "Are we going back to the four year old stage again?"

"No, I just don't want people to think *She was a geek all her life, then poof! One night, and she becomes this.* It's just too quick."

"But don't you want to give everyone a surprise?" he asked.

"No."

"But what's there to lose? I mean it's your senior year, and you probably won't even see 98% of the people ever again. So why won't you?"

"Because I don't feel like it."

Darien closed his eyes. 'I'm losing my patience.' "Is there ANYTHING that would get you to go to school without your so called disguise?"

"It's not a disguise. But yes, there are a few ways. . . ." she said thoughtfully, counting her fingers.

Darien's eyes snapped open, turning around so he was on his stomach. "What are they?"

"Actually, there's only one. I'd only go if every single person at school were blind."

"That's it? The fact that I'll do anything, I repeat, anything you want for an entire month doesn't at all appeal to you?" Darien asked, not even sure what he was getting himself into.

Serena seemed to be thinking it over. 'It wasn't really a bad deal. . . .' "What's the catch?" she asked. Nothing's that great.

"No catch."

"What if I tell you to jump off a building?"

"Then I jump off a building," he replied.

"And if I tell you to take me back in time?" Serena asked.

"Then I take you back in time," Darien answered, despite the weird look she was giving him.

"Why are you so desperate to have me go to school in something along the lines of normal?" she asked.

He didn't say anything. 'Think Shields, think.' "Just because. . . . I like helping people. . . ."

Serena gave him another one of those looks that said he was definitely not in a right state of mind. "Do you actually expect me to believe that?" she asked.

"Yes. So will you take up on my offer? Or do you want me to stick to the puppy dog face begging?"

Serena's eyes lightened for a second. "Let's see you try then," she said. Of all things, she actually wanted to see Darien Shields of all people on his knees and begging. Now if only she had a camera...

Darien hesitated, before pushing himself off his stomach so he was on his knees, muttering something like "God help me."

He then pouted like a five year old, which in Serena's opinion was one of those things that are just too cute. "Please Serena? Pretty please?" he begged, barely pronouncing his words.

Serena bit back a laugh. It's not every day you would see someone like Darien on his knees, begging like a two year old for candy. But she didn't wanted to be affected that easily. So she tried to keep her expression neutral.

Darien sighed, for what seemed like the 99th time that day. 'Never, have I EVER met anyone as stubborn as myself. . . .' he thought. His 'begging' didn't seem to have any affect on her. There wasn't much left he could do, except. . . .

Serena jumped slightly, letting out a high pitched shriek, when she felt Darien's arms come around her left leg.

At least that got a reaction. Now all he had to do was beg her until it drove her senses insane. Sounds easy enough. "Pwease??! Pwetty pwease??! With two cherrwies on top??" he pleaded, his arms still hugging her leg like a three year old.

Serena looked down at Darien before rolling her eyes and heaving out a frustrated sigh.

"Please, please? Pretty, pretty please?? Pl---"

"Alright fine! Just shut up and let go of my leg!" she snapped not so nicely.

'Finally.' Darien thought, a smile creeping up his face, as he withdrew his arms from around her leg.

"But if I tell you to die tomorrow, you better do it," Serena grumbled. She didn't even know why, but she actually trusted this guy. She barely knew him, but he didn't seem like the type of person who would do anything to hurt her. She couldn't even believe herself for trusting someone like him, but hopefully, everything would turn out okay.

Hopefully.

* A few hours later *

"So where did you live before?"

"Florida."

"It's SO pretty there."

"It can be," Darien said.

The two of them sat on Serena's bed, chatting away. If this guy was going to insist on being her friend, then she might as well get to know him better. She didn't exactly want to befriend a total stranger. "Hey Darien?"

"Yeah?"

"You wanna stay for the week? The only person that's here 24/7 is William. And you can stay in the room next door," Serena said, not even thinking when the words came out of her mouth.

Darien's brows creased in confusion. Was this the girl that practically threw him out of her room just a few hours ago? But maybe this would help him with the assignment. It could be quite the advantage.

"You sure your parents won't mind?" he asked just to make sure.

"They'd be so happy, they'd pay you."

Darien laughed. "Alright, but about tomorrow. . . ."

"Did you have to remind me?" Serena groaned. "You know, you better be careful, I could change my mind. . . ."

"But you wouldn't."

"Why wouldn't I? It's not like I have to listen to you, you know," Serena pointed out, a little irritated at the fact that he's always so sure of himself. You'd at least think maybe begging on his knees would shrink that enormous ego of his.

"I know. But you should listen to your conscience. It's always right, isn't it?" he asked, using his 'I'm always right' tone again, and not even realizing it.

"Exactly, and right now, it's telling me I shouldn't be doing this!"

"Just remember, I'd owe you an entire month," he reminded her.

'Oh yeah, I remember alright. And I'm going to make your life a living Hell. . . . Just you wait. . . .'

* The Next Morning *

After eating breakfast, they picked out Serena's outfit. Or tried to. The fact that she cared more about Darien's opinion than her own was beyond her own point of understanding. It didn't even occur to Serena that he changed into a new set of clothes when she didn't even see him bring anything. Now, Serena was in Darien's car, nervously fidgeting in her seat.

"Serena, relax."

"Easy for you to say."

This morning had been chaos. Literally chaos. Actually, her room looked like it had been through a hurricane, with her entire closet strewn around her room. It'd be clean when she got home, but she felt sorry for the maid.

But it wasn't really her fault. It was Darien's.

Not all of it, but HE didn't like anything she picked, so she had to try on practically everything she owned.

* Flashback *

Serena was going from outfit to outfit, while Darien lounged by the mirror. "How 'bout this one?" Serena asked, already out of breath from the last few times of running back and forth from her closet.

Darien seemed to be studying the shirt she had on. "Umm . . . too fancy," he finally said, a frown on his face from the fact that he didn't like her jeans.

"Alright, be right back." Serena said, clenching her teeth as she walked back to her closet.

Was there ANYTHING this guy liked?!

* * *

"Okay, how does this one look?" Serena asked.

"Uh . . . it's a bit tight, don't you think?"

"You mean I look fat?" she asked, her temper growing short.

She felt like a bomb. Something that could explode any second now, and could kill quite a few people in the process.

She should be wearing a sign that says *Warning: My thoughts could burst into words any second now, and it won't be pretty*.

"Of course not, but you'd look even skinnier than you already are if you wore something else."

"Oh . . . okay, next then." Serena forced a smile on her face. She would not spaz again. Throwing a three year old tantrum usually wasn't on her list, but with Darien....

* * *

(Half an hour later)

"Okay, how 'bout this one?" Serena asked, hoping it'd be okay or else Darien wouldn't exactly be a happy camper.

"Uh. . . ." Darien answered . . . not really knowing what to say. Serena was at the end of her patience right now, but he couldn't just tell her it was fine, because it wasn't. He didn't want her to wear something that wasn't umm . . . right?

"What?" Serena looked from what she was wearing, then back to Darien. 'He seems sort of uncomfortable . . . but he better give me an answer. . . .'

"Umm . . . it's a bit too revealing. . . ." Darien said meekly, not sure if he should've said it.

"Okay, I won't say anything, but if you say ANYTHING's wrong with the next one, I can't guarantee your safety," she bit out, before storming back to try on something else.

* End of Flashback *

Serena shook her head, leaning her forehead in her hand. This better all be worth it. It took them more than an hour to pick something out.

But now, here she was in a pair of white, low-cut designer flares, a pair of cerulean platforms, and a baby blue, a long sleeved, off the shoulder shirt, with sleeves flared out from the elbows, becoming a darker shade of blue, that ended where her fingers started.

Turning to look at Darien, she found him staring at her. He seemed to be . . . examining her? "What?"

Darien just laughed lightly and turned back to the road.

But Serena kept her eyes focus on him. 'It's not humanly possible to look like that.' Sighing, she tried not to think about anything . . . for now. But this guy looked . . . well . . . perfect. And nothing's perfect . . . right? "There are just some things that are too good to be true," she murmured under her breath.

"And what would they be?"

Serena laughed. "Do you have a habit of listening to me talk to myself?" But her laughter caught itself in her throat.

They were in the school driveway.

Rational thinking didn't seem to be a part of Serena's mind anymore. Oh what was she going to do, what was she going to do, what was she going TO DO?! 'Oh God.... help me,' she thought.

"Serena?" Hearing Darien's voice, she turned to look at him. Darien saw her discomfort, but there wasn't much he could do. Maybe one thing . . . but that would mess up her appearance. So he just smiled.

"Relax."

Seeing his smile DID make her feel better though. She didn't even know why, but it did. The worry only left her senses briefly. As soon as they were parked, she heard her heart pounding in her ears again. Heck, it seemed like everything was pounding in her ears.

'I shouldn't have agreed to this,' she thought miserably. The only thing she could do now was sink lower in her seat. She knew she couldn't stay here forever.

She just didn't want to go out there.

"Ready?"

"No, but I have to go out there anyway." Inhaling a sharp breath, she opened the car door and stepped out, throwing away her last chance to back out.

*****************************

To be continued.....