Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Changed by an Angel ❯ CBAA - Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note - Well, I've taken off all of the author notes except this one and the last or something, because... umm... just because. So forgive me for not thanking you all a million times!
Now, Diamond IS going to be in my story. But I'm using that as a last name. And I'm sorry if I got his eye color wrong. I didn't mean to. I really didn't. Oh, and for the Darien and Serena fans, don't worry. I wouldn't put them with anyone else. So enjoy Chapter 6. Oh and thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much for the reviews for Chapter 5. It helps. It really does.
Anyway, happy reading.

*************************************************

Title: Changed by an Angel

Chapter: 6

Author: Ashlee Angel

Email: ashlee_c69@hotmail.com

Disclaimer - Sailor Moon belongs to Naoko Takeuchi..... And frankly, I'm not Naoko Takeuchi

*.:.*.:.*.:.*.:.* Chapter 6 *.:.*.:.*.:.*.:.*

* Recap *

" 'Night Darien."

He laughed softly. " 'Night Rena."

Serena's eyes snapped open. Her wide crystalline orbs gazed into a pair of deep indigo ones.

* * *

"Expecting someone else?"

Serena blinked. Even though his shock of silver, almost pale blue hair wasn't distinguishable in the dark. The indigo adorned eyes were unmistakable. And there's only one person she knew with indigo eyes. . . .

"Matt!" she shrieked. Bolting out of bed, she threw her arms around his neck.

"Oh my God . . . oh my God . . . oh my God! What the hell are you doing here?! I mean . . . oh my God . . . why didn't you tell me you were coming?! Oh! You are soooo going to be dead! But oh my God . . . I haven't seen you in like two years . . . and just oh my God!" she babbled out, not bothering to letting go.

Finally loosening her grip, she leaned back. Matt's always been good-looking, but she never really stopped to admire it. Though he did look better in the light. Less dangerous somehow.

But Matt wouldn't hurt a fly. His heart's as soft as a marshmallow. And she should know. She's known him since birth, so it doesn't really matter what he looks like. But after not seeing him for so long. . . . Serena halted her musings.

Did she see 'light' ?

Looking up, she winced when her eyes came in contact with the light. 'Since when were the lights on??' Confused, she turned her head toward the door.

"I think you forgot to introduce us, Serena," Darien said, his tall physique leaning against the doorframe. There was something about his voice. . . . but she'd figure it out later.

"Oh . . . hi, Darien. . . ." Serena started awkwardly.

* * *

~Ahem... may I offer a piece of advice?~

'You again . . . Ugh! Isn't that just great. . . . My oh so 'ethical' conscience is back. What do you want me to do 'now'? Introduce Darien as my boyfriend?'

~Actually. . . that's not a bad idea . . . but I was thinking more along the lines of getting off Matt's lap.~

'Dammit! Why didn't you tell me sooner!?!?' Serena thought back, immediately jumping off Matt's lap and into bed again, nearly tripping over her own feet on the way.

Darien lifted one corner of his mouth into a questioning grin. He was staring at her with the most peculiar expression. Coincidently enough, so was Matt . . . except Matt seemed more amused. But all the same, they were both staring at her.

Darien leaning on by the door, Matt on one knee, kneeling beside the bed.

"Are you two just going to stay like that the rest of the night smiling like idiots?" she asked, even though they were far from looking like idiots. But neither of them said anything. Actually, they basically acted like she didn't even say anything.

* * *

~Can I offer you my services again?~

'Go away! And mind your own business.'

~Tsk tsk Serena. That's not a very nice way to talk to yourself.~

'Oh whatever. Just tell me what to do and leave.'

~What's the magic word?~

'Ugh! Please?'

~Good . . . now. . . .~

'Hurry up already!'

~Introduce them. . . they don't know each other yet. You don't want them to start assuming who each other are . . . if you know what I mean. . . .~

'Hmm . . . as much as I hate to admit it . . . you're right. I don't want Matt to think Darien's my boyfriend.'

~Nuh uh! I think it's the other way around. You don't want Darien to think you have a boyfriend.~

'Shut up.'

* * *

"Umm . . . you two haven't met," Serena started, twirling a few strands of hair around her finger.

~Well duh!~

"And so umm Matt, this is Darien Shields. He's my angel-- like friend. You uhh... know. Umm . . . very umm . . . angel like. 'Cause he's uhh . . . like this umm . . . really strong Christian. So umm . . . he's like my best uhh Christian friend. And umm . . . yeah. . . ."

~Good going, Serena. Now Matt's looking at you like you're insane. And Darien is either trying not to laugh or just plain grinning at your stupidity.~

"Oh, and Darien, this is Matt Diamond. (AN: Is it just me, or does that sound like Matt Damon?) He's my best friend. But he moved away when we were 13. Since then, we spent our summers together. But the last two summers were skipped. So yeah..."

"So he's not your boyfriend?" they asked simultaneously.

"Of course not," Serena said, not sure if she was answering Darien or Matt. "Compare and contrast the words 'boy' and 'best'."

"There's a difference?" Matt asked, while Darien just shot her an inquiring eyebrow that mirrored Matt's question.

Serena looked at both of them incredulously. Then shaking her head in disbelief, she laughed. "You know . . . you two could be become the best of friends. Darien has an ego the size of Russia. Matt has an ego the size of Canada. You both think guys are better than girls. And what you both don't know, is that girls can do just about everything a hell of a lot better than guys. And I'm sure the similarities don't stop there."

"I'm sure they don't. But why don't you get some rest. We'll finish talking in the morning," Darien told her.

It wasn't a question. So there's no point trying to argue.

* * *

'Jeez, they treat me like seven year old.'

~They don't have to . . . they can alw---~

'Oh shut it!'

* * *

"Hey Matt, do my parents know you're here?"

"How else would I get in?"

"Oh . . . well you can stay in Sammy's old room, you know where it is. And get some rest, you're probably tired from the trip. Oh, and some of my friends are coming here tomorrow, so you can meet them then," Serena smiled. It's going to be fun seeing the girls expressions tomorrow.

Getting up from his position on the floor, Matt leaned down and softly kissed Serena on the cheek. "G'night Rena. Sweet dreams," he whispered, before he walked past Darien and down the hall.

**********************

When Matt was out of site, Darien lifted himself off the doorframe and walked over to Serena. Sitting down gently on the edge, he looked at her curiously. "Since when did you have a best friend?"

"Since when did you make it your business to know everything about me?"

"I think you know the answer to that."

A tired sigh escaped Serena's lips, as she started playing with her hair again. "Would you stay here if I wasn't your assignment?" she asked, carefully choosing the right words so it sounded like a question out of innocent curiosity.

He laughed to himself, as if there was something he knew that she didn't. "I've asked myself that same question over and over again. And you know what? I probably would."

"It's good to know," she said quietly.

"So . . . what do you think of Matt?"

"I don't know. I didn't talk to him. He seems decent enough. But there's something about his voice. It's oddly familiar."

"Well, I wouldn't know, 'cause I've known him all my life."

"I should be able to retrace the voice in my memory. But strangely enough, I can't." His eyebrows creased into a frown. Maybe he was just thinking too hard.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you can figure it out. You're probably just tired. Now, are you going to sleep in the room next door, or here?"

"Don't you think Matt will be suspicious if he comes in here to find us in bed together?" he asked without much thought. But soon after hearing his own words and seeing the look on Serena's face, he laughed meekly. "Umm . . . that sort of came out wrong."

"Umm . . . yeah. . . . " Serena mumbled, not really sure what she should say.

"So . . . I'll see you tomorrow morning then?" he asked, standing up, half hoping she'd say no and beg him to stay.

"Alright . . . but don't I get a goodnight kiss?" Serena asked, the words popping out of her mouth before she could stop them.

Darien gave her a genuine smile, not his usual amused half smile. He bent his head down so he was just a breath away.

"Goodnight," he whispered, before lightly brushing his lips across hers.

********************************************

* Next Day (Everyone's at Serena's) *

After sending the guys out to the basketball court, the girls dragged Serena to her room. "Spill it, Sere! How, when, and where did you snag up that guy?!" Raye demanded, after making sure the windows were closed, so the guys wouldn't be able to hear from outside.

"I told you guys downstairs, he's my best friend, but he moved away when we were thirteen."

"But YOU went to the same school as the rest of us. How come we don't remember him?" Mina asked, who was in a much calmer state than Raye.

"Because he went to a private school . . . now enough with the questions. You wanna see the pictures from yesterday or not?"

"What happened yesterday?"

"Evan," Serena said, knowing that one word was enough to start a lot of questions.

"Hand them over girl. I have got to see what this guy looks like," Lita said, snatching the photos as soon as Serena took them out.

'At least they're not crowded around me anymore.' Serena thought, as Raye, Mina, Lita, and even Amy crowded around the pictures, flipping through them over and over again. 'Here it comes. . . .'

* * *

"THAT'S Evan?"

"Oh my God, how come you always get the cute ones?!?!"

"What exactly did you do together?"

"Come on girl, I want details! And don't you dare even try and leave out anything."

"What's he like? Is he nice?"

"Does he have a girlfriend?"

"If you don't want him, I'll have him."

Serena laughed as the questions kept coming.

* * *

~They're quick thinkers.~

'What do you want now?'

~Oh I'm just here to keep you company . . . until the questions are finished being asked.~

'You never come here without a proper reason.'

~True. . . .~

'So spit it out. What're you here for?'

~I was just wondering if you realized that Darien kissed you last night.~

'So this is what everything's about . . . I should've known.'

~I would've asked you last night, but you fell asleep as soon as your head hit the pillow.~

'Asked me what?'

~Who you like.~

'Who I like?'

~Yes, of course. I mean you can't have 'both' Darien and Matt.~

'Who said I was going to have either?'

~Well, it's obvious that Darien is---~

* * *

"Hel-LO?! SERENA? Anyone home?? WE WANT SOME ANSWERS HERE!"

"Say it a louder, would 'ya Raye? I don't think all of California heard you yet," Serena said, after snapping out of her own world, and into reality with four very impatient faces staring back at her.

"We're waiting. . . ."

"Well, he's absolutely crazy for this girl in Australia. Umm . . . he's really cute, but I think you could tell from the pictures. Oh, and he's got a really nice smile."

"That's it? That's all you're going to tell us?" Mina asked.

"Umm . . . well. . . ."

"That's okay guys, she doesn't have to talk about her date if she doesn't want to. . . ." Amy told Raye, Mina, and Lita.

'At least Amy's on my side.'

"Instead, you can give us the details about your relationship with Matt and Darien." Amy said to Serena, a huge smile on her face.

* * *

~You were saying?~

'Oh, can it!'

~But I'm here for a good reason.~

'And that would be?'

~To give you some helpful advice so you're not going to embarrass yourself any further.~

'Fine, hurry up, I'm busy.'

~No problem. This will only take a little while. Now, do you know that Raye closed all the windows?~

'Yeah. . . . I don't see where this is leading to.'

~And do you know that you are sitting beside your bed, which is beside the patio?~

'Get to the point.'

~Do you realize that the patio doors are open?~

'We need some fresh air.'

~And since you live here, you should know what is under your patio?~

'Of course I do. The basketball court. Duh.'

~Good, and what do you hear?~

'Nothing.'

~Exactly.~

* * *

"Hey Sere, you okay?" Raye asked, a little concerned that Serena hasn't been talking for the last few minutes.

"Umm . . . Raye, is there a reason why we can't hear the guys playing basketball?"

"That's because there's no one out there," Lita reasoned, who was already leaning against the railing outside.

"Then where are they?" Serena asked, knowing she wasn't going to get an answer.

* * *

'Umm . . . a little help?'

~Oh, now you come asking me for answers.~

'You know where they are, don't you?'

~Well, since all of you guys were so caught up in your conversations, I'm sure none of you heard the voices next door. . . . ~

* * *

Serena shot up from her spot on the floor, then sat down again. "Hey guys, come here for a sec, and keep your voices down."

"What is it Sere?"

"See that door?" Serena whispered, pointing to the door that led to the next room.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"The guys are on the other side."

"How do you know?" Raye hissed.

"Because I heard them talking," Serena hissed back.

~You mean *I* heard them talking.~

"So why can't we just barge in there?" Lita asked, restraining herself from shouting.

"That would be letting them off too easy, don't 'ya think?"

"So what do you propose Serena?" Amy asked, grabbing a book off the shelf beside the bed.

"Well . . . I thought maybe we could . . . you know . . . play a little prank."

"It would serve them right for eavesdropping."

"So what do 'ya say Ames?"

"Well . . . alright."

************************************************

* In the Other Room *

"Why do you suppose it's so quiet all of a sudden?" Andrew asked, who was leaning against the wall. "You think they figured it out already?"

"Nah, they're probably just waiting for Serena to answer all their questions," Darien said, who was sitting on the armchair, across from Matt. "Say, why did you become friends with Serena in the first place, Matt?"

"I didn't judge her by her clothes. And besides, we've known each other since forever," Matt said, thinking back to when he and Serena were only three.

"Shush you guys, I think they're talking."

* * *

"So you guys still want to play the prank on the guys?"

* * *

That caught Matt's attention. Either because of what the person said, or because it was Serena who said it. But Darien heard it as well.

"They're planning to play a prank on us?" Chad asked . . . a little on the loud side.

"Shut up, they'll hear us," Ken said, whacking Chad on the head.

* * *

"I don't know . . . what if they find out?"

"Oh come on Ames, it's just a harmless joke."

"Well, what did you have in mind Serena?"

"Hmm . . . see . . . we have this pool room. No one really uses it. It's a bit different than the other ones. There's three doors that lead inside. One is the girls change room, one is the guys, and the other one's just a fake door. The whole outline was made wrong, so my parents decided to changed it into a prank course. But all we have to do is switch the signs so the trick door has the guys change room sign. That way, the guys will go in the wrong door . . . but we'll be waiting for them when they come out."

"And what exactly is going to happen when they go in?"

"That's the fun part, but you'll have to see for yourself. Now let's go switch the signs before the guys get back from playing b-ball. And don't worry. It's totally harmless."

* * *

Then after that, all was heard was the girls running down the stairs, giggling and laughing on the way.

"So that's what they're going to do. . . ." Chad said, pacing back and forth around the room.

"Oh chill. Now all we have to do is wait until they go in the girls change room, then go through the other door."

Andrew laughed. "They actually thought they could get us."

"Don't you think we should get out to the basketball court, and play some b-ball so they won't suspect anything?"

"Okay then, let's go."

* Out On the Basketball Court *

The girls walked out to the basketball court to find the guys in the middle of a game. "When are you guys going to be done?" Lita shouted.

"Now." Andrew replied, as all the guys stopped playing. "So what can I do for you girls?"

"We were wondering if you want to come to the pool room with us?" Serena asked casually.

"Which one?"

Darien knew that look on Serena's face. She was hiding something. Too bad they already knew what it was. But something about that look was different. 'It's as if she was hiding something under the something she's trying to hide from us.' He sighed. That made absolutely no sense.

"One you haven't been to yet," Serena answered. 'Uh oh, Darien looks like he's in deep thought. He couldn't know, could he?'

"But we don't have anything to swim in," Chad said, pointing out the obvious.

"Who said anything about swimming? I was just going to give you guys and the girls a tour . . . so . . . you guys wanna come?"

"Sure, why not. Let's go."

******************************************

* In front of Doors *

"Here we are. Just go in the guys change room, and you'll find your way through. We'll meet you in the pool area. Okay?" Serena asked, smiling. It was a sincere one. And she wasn't even forcing it.

"Alright," they agreed, watching the girls go in.

Just as Andrew was about to enter the door without the sign, Matt spoke up. After being completely quiet throughout this. "You guys go in, I'm going to go in the guys change room," he said, trying to suppress a grin.

"Are you insane? You have no idea what that so called 'prank course' is," Chad exclaimed, waving his arms up and down, pointing to the door.

"I like prank courses, besides, it's harmless, right? So you guys can come with me if you want."

Ken laughed. "No thanks, you go on in. We'll see you in the pool room."

* Pool Room *

"How long before they come out Serena?" Amy asked, looking at her watch again.

"It's only been a few seconds," Serena said, just as Matt came walking out one of the doors. The girls looked at him, then to Serena.

"Nothing happened to him," Raye pointed out, as she stared curiously at Matt.

"That's because I fell for this five years ago," Matt said, walking over to Serena.

"Hmm . . . I was hoping you'd fall for it again," Serena said thoughtfully. "But I used something different this time."

"Use what?" Lita asked.

"You'll see," Serena said, but it was drowned in the flurry of curses that rang out through the third door.

Mina's eyes widened, as did the other girls. "Are you sure what they're going through is safe?" she asked skeptically.

"Perfectly harmless. Don't worry. Matt went through the same thing and he's alive."

Suddenly, the door burst open, and four figures stumbled out. The girls, wide-eyed, gawked at the guys while Matt just smiled as Serena restrained herself from bursting out into laughter. It wasn't even funny. . . .

The four guys stood there, speechless, covered head to toe in chocolate and sprinkles.

"Enjoy your bath?"

Andrew laughed, but didn't say anything.

Chad looked over at Matt. "Did you already know about this chocolate covered fun that we were going to go through?"

Serena gave the guys one last look before practically skipping over to Darien. Smiling, she took her finger and wiped some of the dripping goo off his cheek. Putting it carefully to her lips, she licked it gleefully. After thoughtfully tasting it, she turned to Chad. "Actually, I think it's fudge."

Matt laughed. "Be thankful. Five years ago, it was honey and Cheerios."

"He's right. You should thank me. Now get in the pool," Serena ordered.

"Excuse me?"

"That's what the pool's for. To wash off what you get on you. You wouldn't actually want to walk around like that, would you?" she asked. "But you really should be thankful. Before this, I used paint. And not just one color either. Then after that, I started using things that were edible. It's much more delicious that way. Now get in the pool before I have to push you in."

"Yes mother," Darien mocked, before dropping down into the water, followed by Andrew, Chad, and Ken.

The water instantly became muddled where the four guys were. Soon after, the entire pool was clouded into a murky brown, with rainbow sprinkles floating about.

"Looks like chocolate milk," Lita finally said, after the long silence of watching the four fudge-covered guys.

"At least they're partly clean now. You guys go sit down on the other side of the pool. There's a bench along the wall." Serena told them, pointing to the far side of the pool. Serena herself walked to the opposite side, so she was about 5 meters from the water. She watched as Darien swam over to her.

Perching both elbows on the edge, he probed her eyes with his own. "Why the distance?"

"Just because," she answered. Though the real reason was that Darien would throw her in the pool if she were reachable.

The fudge and sprinkles were gone from his face and hair. His white shirt on the other hand wasn't doing too well. To put it simply, it wasn't white anymore. It clung to him like a second skin, accenting his lean athletic frame. But Serena diverted her attention, not wanting to get caught in the act of staring.

"Did you plan this ahead of time or just today?" Darien asked out of amusement.

"Just barely an hour ago when you guys decided to skip your game of basketball to eavesdrop on us girls. I was actually hoping Matt would fall for it again. And I thought you of all people would be able to figure it out. But you didn't. Though you didn't actually think I was that stupid, did you?"

"I knew there was something about your little scheme. I just didn't know what. But now that you've had your fun, you don't think you're actually going to get away with it, do you?"

"Actually . . . as long as I keep my distance, I do think I'll get away with it," Serena smiled. A smile that said *so there!*.

But Darien returned her smile. Except his smile said something different. "Serena, come here," he said, expecting her to refuse.

Which she did. She looked at him like he was insane. "Nuh uh!" she replied, fiercely shaking her head. No way was she stepping anywhere near that pool.

He shook his head too, but for a completely different reason. It was almost as if he was feeling sorry for her. He gave her one of his half smiles. Then using his index finger, he motioned for Serena to come closer.

And she did just that.

Serena's eyes widened as she realized that she was moving towards Darien. It wasn't even her that was walking. She tried to stop, but her legs kept moving. She looked up to see Darien smiling at her. That amused half smile of his again. Except this time, he was practically laughing her.

"Darien . . . whatever you're doing, stop it," Serena warned.

But when she stepped into the one meter perimeter, she started to panic. She didn't want to waste her time getting her clothes dirty, and getting sprinkles out of her hair. "Darien . . . I mean it." Serena closed her eyes as she neared the edge. Squeezing her eyes shut, she waited for the splash to come.

And it did come. The loud splash filled her ears as she held her breath.

But a second later, she forced an eye open. Then in shock, she opened the other one. She was dry. Not wet. Completely and totally dry... with her feet still on the edge of the water.

* * *

'Where'd the splash come from?'

~If you haven't noticed, Chad just jumped off the diving board.~

'He did?'

~How can you be so stupid when I'm so smart?~

'Oh shut up! I was scared!'

~Of what? Being in that water? Or being that close to Darien?~

'Both.'

~HA! You admitted it!!! You like Darien!!!~

'Do not! I just don't like being close to any guy!'

~Did you forget that you've slept with him before?~

'Not like THAT!'

~Well how else am I supposed to put it?~

'We just fell asleep together, okay?'

~Okay, but you've still got a thing for him . . . or is it Matt?~

'Matt?!'

~Well, he's always been your second choice. And I should know. I'm practically your brain!~

'No comment.'

~See? I'm always right. Now get back to reality girl. You've got a black haired, blue eyed angel to thank. Or have you not realized that you're not moving any closer to the water? Oh, and another thing. Darien's staring at you.~

* * *

Serena looked down, and sure enough, Darien was looking at her expectantly. He smiled. "You owe me."

And with that, he swam off. Not even bothering to see her reaction.

****************************

* About a Month Later (Serena's POV) *

This last month has been great . . . well, sort of. Darien hasn't even mentioned that day at the pool room. And Matt's going to be staying with us for another few weeks.

It's really nice to have Matt around again. It is. But something isn't right. Sure he's still the easygoing, carefree type of guy. And to everyone else, he is. But I've known him way too long. He's hiding something. There's a lot of things masked behind that smile of his.

* Flashback *

I walked down the hall to the room Matt was staying in. Mina called a few minutes ago and asked if I wanted to go see the new Ryan Gosling movie with her. I was going to leave Matt a note, but decided I might as well tell him myself. I lightly knocked on the door. And waited . . . and waited . . . and waited.

Maybe he wasn't in his room. So I opened the door to check.

I found Matt sitting in a chair, writing in a blue notebook type thing. He was so engrossed in what he was writing that he didn't even bother to look up when I entered. Or maybe he didn't see me at all.

"I didn't know you kept a journal."

Hearing my words, he jumped, snapping the notebook shut. Guess I startled him. "So . . . what were you writing?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing much. Just notes for the classes I'm taking. So did you need something?" he said, slipping the journal behind him so I wouldn't see it.

But I did. I just didn't know what he was writing.

* End of Flashback *

It's weird... 'cause Matt's never kept anything from me before. I'm always the first person he tells everything to. I know he can't be hiding anything bad... it's just that. . . well. . . why would he want to hide anything from me?

And for the odd reason here and there, I was curious. Very curious. There is a difference between curious and suspicious, isn't there?

Of course there is. So the question is, what am I doing in Matt's room right now. . . while Matt's not here.

He and the guys went to just drive around.

It'll be at least two hours before he comes back.

And so here I am now.

In Matt's room.

But you already know that. I know that too. I even know where he hides that journal of his.

And those are definitely not notes from the classes he's taking.

I should know.

I caught him writing in it again once, and I saw Darien's name before he slammed it shut. But that's enough to provoke my curiosity.

You see, there's a place in the wall that can be opened. It's like a secret compartment. It's small, but big enough to hold the book. It's underneath this huge desk, so no one would be able to find it. But I know about it. 'Cause it's my house.

Crawling underneath the desk before I could stop myself, I slid open a piece of the wall. Taking out the journal, I dragged myself out, and walked over to the sofa.

Sitting down, I just held the book in my hands. Should I . . . or should I not open it? It's quite tempting . . . . but that would be invading his privacy. And if I do this, I'll feel guilty. . . . and guilt is one of the worst human emotions to feel.

But then again, I might not get another chance, and it wouldn't hurt to take just a tiny peek. Besides, I can make it up to him somehow.

Holding my breath, I opened the navy blue cover before my guilt got the best of me.

Convincing myself one last time that I'd be able to make it up to him, I began to read. . . .

****************************

To be continued...

There! Happy now? But don't worry.... Serena DOES end up with Darien... in the 'very' end.

Anyway, seeya in Chapter 7.

Thanx