Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Flaws - Book 2 - Crystal Fears ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mamoru sat staring at the computer screen in front of him. He had his chin in his hand and mumbled to himself occasionally as the other hand's fingers regularly clicked the keys on the keyboard. Sailor Mercury stood beside Mamoru and occasionally leaned over to peer at the screen also. Luna and Artemis stood on a table nearby and carefully searched some printouts. Finally, Mamoru sat up and ran his fingers through his hair as he sighed. “Hey you two, was there anything helpful in those reports?”
 
Luna and Artemis shook their heads no then they jumped over to the same table Mamoru and Mercury were near. Mercury frowned and said, “The data shows that things aren't right, but evidence of what it is seems to be nowhere to be found. If things continue to deteriorate at the same rate, the Earth will be vulnerable to damage and attack within a few months.
 
Mamoru looked up startled. “You really think the Earth's shields could be affected that quickly?”
 
“Yes,” Mercury answered. “The shield's dimensional filter pulls the most power, and it is the most temperamental part of the shield. Even a brief power disruption could leave a gap open between the Earth and another dimension. The power levels on the dimensional filter are already too close to minimum for my comfort. For some reason the earth is generating less power than last year and the levels are still dropping by small increments. The power reduction is also evidenced in Earth's other processes, but the shield is where it is most clearly seen and critical. Actually, you may also experience a reduction of power, Mamoru. Have you noticed any changes?”
 
Mamoru shrugged. “I haven't really had a chance to use them lately.”
 
Mercury chided her patient. “I've told you before, and many times, Mamoru. You have to exercise not just your body, but also your power, regularly. You are not above atrophy from lack of use in either area!”
 
Mamoru sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. “Yes I know, but things get very busy. If you're so curious, I'll go through my paces now. Okay?”
 
Mercury nodded her head yes and followed Mamoru to the Senshi practice room. “First I want you to go through your power ups sequentially,” Mercury directed.
 
The king complied, as he first became Tuxedo Kamen, then Prince Endymion, and then the final form of the Earth King. This form used the same lavender tuxedo he regularly wore, but he now held a golden power staff. Mercury nodded then said to continue. The Earth King turned toward a padded wall and started to rapidly launch his special red roses four per hand at a time. He quickly created a tight spiral of roses on the wall. Next he concentrated on his golden energy and built it up between his hand and the staff. He raised the power into an arc over his head between his outstretched palm and staff, then flung the power from him toward the wall. With a hiss, the wall absorbed the attack.
 
Mercury and Mamoru turned to a display and noted the power level results. Mercury hadn't said a word, but her pursed lips and wrinkled brow made it obvious she wasn't happy with the numbers. Dismayed by her response to the score, Mamoru uncharacteristically complained. “Mercury! Sometimes you're even worse than Mars!”
 
Mercury's eyes flashed annoyance. “Mamoru don't be dramatic. Now, I want you to do the roses again.”
 
Chastised, the Earth King again turned toward the padded wall and rapidly launched his roses. He launched two full rounds of eight, but the third round had only six roses and they didn't stay stuck in the wall. He tried again and could only pull two roses.
 
Mercury quickly pulled her visor and computer out. She told the King to stand still while she took some readings. Shaken, Mamoru thought to himself that he probably couldn't do much more than stand there even if he had to do something. He was shocked at how drained he felt. Mercury finally looked up and told him to take a seat. Mamoru quickly complied. Mercury continued to type a moment more before she put her computer away. She sat down next to Mamoru on the bench and sighed. “I don't think I have to tell you your powers are weakened, do I,” she stated soberly.
 
Mamoru dejectedly shook his head no.
 
*************************************
 
Terrance had left with Sailor Uranus' team to return to her planet's moons. They spent six very difficult months there. One of the team's jobs was mine inspection to insure continued safety and efficiency there. The other job Terrance's group had was surface exploration and preparation for settlement. The moon surface was even more forbidding than the mines due to extreme weather and cold temperatures. In spite of the harsh climate, there was a waiting list of settlers. Most of them were with companies that were looking to profit from the abundant, and very pure, mineral deposits there. The job was to be for eight months. Sailor Uranus and the team were called back to the Earth early due to the impending power crisis.
 
*****************************
 
Sailor Mercury had calculated approximately where the dimensional filter would fail first. It was two miles south of the Crystal Palace. She couldn't place an exact date or time due to erratic power fluctuations. King Endymion deployed a troop of 50 CTEM soldiers to keep watch and notify the palace of any changes.
 
A distress call had come from the troop before breakfast a week later. Oddly, the call had been sent, but there was only static and silence from the troop. King Endymion, Neo-Queen Serenity, the Planet Senshi, Lady Serenity and the Asteroid Senshi quickly prepared to assist the troop. King Endymion tried to insist both his wife and Lady Serenity stay at the palace. Sailors Mars and Uranus pointed out to him that they did not know what they would be dealing with so every powerful person might be needed. The King reluctantly relented. Terrance was given a troop of soldiers as additional support for the Senshi.
 
As the small, but powerful group, approached, the dimensional filter fissure was easy to see. It looked like a large black gash hanging above the ground. What was more disconcerting was that there was not even one soldier at the camp. It was deserted. Sailor Mercury tried to figure out what had happened to the troop stationed there. She couldn't find a clue as to their fate.
 
The Senshi had spread out to investigate when they suddenly felt an oppressive evil pressure in the air. They ran back to the fissure just as a very large monster appeared. The only thing it could be compared to was a dragon. It had a metallic scaled armor, claws and teeth but the likeness ended there. It walked on two legs and had many tentacles in addition to two arms and hands.
 
The monster threw a soldier's corpse on the ground at the Senshis' feet as it spoke. “I hope you are a more challenging opponent than the last group. They were pathetic fighters and their energy was hardly a snack!” The Senshi gaped at the hideous creature. They were revolted and sorrowed by its boasts.
 
Sailor Jupiter stepped forward and challenged the beast. “We are the Sailor Senshi and we will not allow you to destroy us and our beautiful world!”
 
A tentacle flew from the beast's side toward Jupiter. Mars attacked it and the fight was on. Sailors Venus and Ceres aimed their attacks for the Monster's face. Their attacks fell harmlessly to the ground about twenty feet from the beast. Next, Sailors Jupiter and Juno launched their attacks but they didn't reach the monster either.
 
“Damn!” Uranus exclaimed. Even her and Neptune's attacks fell short.
 
The Senshi were also dodging tentacles that whipped out from the beast's side trying to grab them. Sailor Vesta barely managed to avoid being caught. Sailor Mars again attacked and this time severed several tentacles aimed at Lady Serenity/Sailor Moon and Sailor Pallas.
 
So far, none of the Senshi attacks had managed to get anywhere near the beast's body. Sailor Moon began preparing her attack and Sailor Mercury stopped her saying, “I think there is a shield around the monster. Save your attack until I can figure this out.” Mercury faced the monster and began typing on her computer.
 
The monster raised a group of tentacles high in the air then swung them in quick succession at the Senshi. Everyone moved frantically to avoid being hit. Sailor Ceres had managed to avoid one tentacle but another one hit her on the back of the head. She was unconscious before she hit the ground.
 
Sailor Moon saw Sailor Ceres go down and she ran forward to help her friend. Sailor Moon didn't see the tentacle reaching for her.
 
Everyone screamed, “Sailor Moon look out!” No one was able to throw an attack soon enough to protect her.
 
Sailor Moon looked up just as the creature gripped her and raised her into the air. It lifted her close to its face. Bloody slime dripped from its large open maw as it gloated. “Hey, finally some decent energy!”
 
Sailor Moon screamed as the Monster's tentacle tore her energy from her.
 
King Endymion had been told to stay out of the fight because of his depleted energy but this was too much for him to take. Before anyone could stop him the Earth King ran forward into the beast's lap. He leaped into the air and threw a round of roses into the tentacle holding Sailor Moon. The energy disruption ability of the roses worked and the monster released Sailor Moon with an angry howl.
 
Sailor Uranus had ran after the King. She caught Sailor Moon and carried her to safety.
 
The Earth King turned to escape but he was caught by another tentacle. The monster chortled with glee. The Queen and everyone else gasped with dismay.
 
As the beast began to drain the king's energy, it laughed and said, “Well, it seems I got the better end of that trade. This one has a great power source that taps into your planet! This energy will make me strong enough to transport my army here and take over your world!”
 
The Senshi could literally feel the earth's power being sucked out from under their feet by the beast. The King screamed and struggled but to no avail.
 
Neo-Queen Serenity felt helpless as she watched her husband suffer. She wanted to moondust the beast but she knew the King would also be killed if she attacked. Sailor Uranus went to the Queen and said, “I'll get the King.”
 
Sailor Mercury had finished checking Sailor Moon and Sailor Ceres. She walked over to the Queen and Sailor Uranus. Mercury told the Queen, “Sailor Moon is weakened, but not injured.” She then turned to Uranus and said, “Wait.” She quickly began to do some calculations on her computer as she mused, “The Earth King used his power against the monster and it worked. I want to know why.”
 
Everyone waited impatiently while Mercury typed. After a moment Mercury said, “The beast's power shield is like a fence around it. The Earth King physically breached the fence and his powers were able to work once he was past the power shield.”
 
“Uranus,” Mercury continued, “If you can get inside the shield without the monster capturing you then you should be able to attack. Your attack will weaken its shield enough for us to finish it off with a Planet Attack. The problem is that you and the King need to be able to be clear of your attack or else you'll be hurt by it.”
 
Sailor Neptune spoke up. “I'll go with Uranus.”
 
Mercury answered, “Neptune, your power is needed for the Planet Attack after the monster's shield is weakened. There will not be enough time for you to rescue the King and still join in the attack. We need every Senshi for this to succeed.”
 
Terrance had been listening to the Senshis' discussion. He stepped forward and offered, “I will go with Sailor Uranus and bring the King to safety.”
 
At that moment Elios flew down on a Pegasus. He jumped off and ran to the Senshi saying, “What the Hell is going on? Elysion suddenly lost its power and has a black out!”
 
Everyone glared at Elios and pointed to the unconscious King in the monster's grasp.
 
Elios glanced up then visibly paled as he whispered, “Oh!” He looked at Sailor Mercury and soberly said, “This world will end if he isn't rescued soon!”
 
Terrance answered him impatiently. “We were working on it when you interrupted!”
 
Meanwhile, Sailor Uranus was staring at the Pegasus with a curious gleam in her eyes. She turned and said, “Elios, we need to surprise the monster and get close enough to save the king. Does your Pegasus fly fast and have good maneuverability?”
 
Elios answered, “Yes, and if it will help you may use it. Elios headed toward the Pegasus as he offered, “I'll introduce you to him.” After a moment Uranus and Terrance mounted the Pegasus and flew away.
 
The Pegasus quickly dove down from above and behind the monster's head. As it passed the monster's shoulder things happened quickly. Uranus leaped off the Pegasus and used her Space Sword to sever the tentacle holding the King. She continued to fall and when she landed on the ground at the monster's feet, she unleashed her World Shaking attack.
 
Sailor Moon shakily stood up and began the Sailor Planet Attack power-up. Even as each of the Senshi joined in they hoped all four had been able to escape. Sailor Uranus appeared running out of the cloud of destruction, and turned to avoid the path of the Planet Attack.
 
The monster had fallen to the ground, injured by Uranus' attack. As it struggled to stand the Senshi launched the Planet Attack. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief as the monster turned to dust.
 
*************************************
 
Sailor Moon looked around worriedly for any sign of the Pegasus, her father and Terrance.
 
Everyone cheered as Uranus ran up and again as the Pegasus came flying toward them. Terrance was on its back and he securely held the unconscious King.
 
Terrance carefully placed the King on the ground. Sailor Mercury, Elios, Neo-Queen Serenity and Sailor Moon hurried to his side. Mercury scanned the King and started to cry as she choked out, “His Golden Crystal power is completely drained. If it isn't replenished very soon he will die.”
 
Neo-Queen Serenity quickly pulled out her Silver Crystal. She directed the Silver Crystal's healing power toward her husband.
 
Mercury continued to scan the King then said, “The Silver Crystal isn't replenishing the Golden Crystal's power. The Earth is the only thing that will replenish the power of the Golden Crystal, but there isn't enough of Earth's power available to do the job.”
 
Lady Serenity put her arms around her mother. The Queen put her crystal away then started to sob as she hugged her daughter desperately.
 
Terrance was sitting on the ground next to the King as he struggled within himself. He knew he would be risking his life if everyone here found his secret out. He also knew he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he didn't try to help. Finally, he came to a decision. Reaching out his hands over the King's chest, Terrance concentrated. He knew his powers had been weaker recently, but he still had to try.
 
Mercury raised her eyebrow when she saw Terrance concentrating. Mars moved to stop him and Mercury held her back because of an unformed hunch she had. Everyone watched as Terrance's hands began to faintly glow golden and the King began to absorb the power Terrance was producing.
 
Elios watched with shock and confused amazement. He recognized Terrance's power and realized its source was the Earth.
 
Terrance could feel his power becoming depleted quickly and he knew it wasn't enough. In frustration and desperation he looked up at Elios and said, “If you are truly the High Priest of Earth then pray now to save your King!”
 
Elios lowered his head and choked out, “I'll try.” Kneeling down beside the King with his head bowed and hands clasped in supplication, Elios began to pray. However, just as it had been for months, his prayers fell hollow and powerless at his feet. Elios truly did care for the King and he felt horrible that he couldn't help. Tears coursed down Elios' cheeks as he whispered, “It's not working.”
 
Lady Serenity pleaded with the Priest. “Please try again! My father was caught while saving me. Please help him!”
 
Looking up at the Princess, Elios saw her anguish and fear. He still loved her and it tore at his heart to see her so sad.
 
Elios knew he should have been able to reach the power to help the King and in his heart he knew what was keeping it from him. Guilt overwhelmed him and he collapsed to the ground with a sob. Tears of remorse rolled down his cheeks as he prayed for forgiveness with a broken and convicted heart. Elios begged for mercy and power. He vehemently pleaded for the King to not die because of Elios' own self-centeredness and bitterness.
 
As Elios desperately cried out his prayers the ground around his body began to glow golden. Suddenly a maelstrom of power arose around Elios like a golden whirlwind. He stretched his hands out on the ground and raised his head as the swirls of power lifted his hair and filled his being. The power then coalesced into an arc above Elios' head and dove into Terrance.
 
Everyone who was watching gasped, fearful for Terrance's life. However, instead of killing him, the power also filled Terrance then flowed from his hands into the King. Elios continued to pray fervently and the power increased.
 
As soon as Mercury had seen Terrance's power manifested she had pulled out her visor and computer and began scanning him. When Elios had started to pray she scanned all three men and typed furiously. Mercury's brow was wrinkled in concentration and she ignored everything and everyone around her. She knew this all had to fit together somehow and she wanted to know how, right now!
 
The King started to regain consciousness. He looked at Terrance and Elios with confusion as the power stream slowly dissipated. King Endymion tried to sit up and Neo-Queen Serenity grabbed him and hugged him while she cried. Lady Serenity also knelt down and hugged him. She then looked at both Terrance and Elios and choked out, “Thank you! I don't understand what happened but thank you, both of you!”
 
*************************************
 
Sailor Mars stepped forward with a grim expression and spoke firmly. “Master-Sergeant Terrance Donovan, step away from the Royal Family and stand at attention.”
 
Everyone looked at Mars with confusion. Terrance had just helped save the King's life and she was treating him like an enemy!
 
Terrance sighed and shakily stood. He slowly walked over and stood silently at attention in front of Sailor Mars. She looked him in the eyes and bluntly asked, “Where do you get your powers from?”
 
Terrance looked uncomfortable as he said, “I can't tell you.”
 
Sailor Mars hissed with annoyance. She took a deep breath then barked, “As your superior officer I demand that you explain your powers now!” Terrance stood at attention silently and Mars continued, now with desperation in her voice. “You must comply! At the very least your military career is at stake! At the very worst you could be exiled someplace where you wouldn't be a threat to the Royal Family! Please Terrance, now as your friend, I'm asking you to explain.” Tears were running down Sailor Mars' cheeks. Terrance had tears in his eyes too but he continued to be silent.
 
King Endymion stood up to go to Mars, but Sailor Neptune grabbed his arm to stop him. He considered rejecting Neptune's restraint, but then Sailor Jupiter stepped forward to defend Terrance. “Mars, how can you accuse him? His record has been exemplary, and for God's sake, he just helped save the King's life!”
 
Mars turned, and vehemently took her sorrow at the circumstances out on Jupiter, as she angrily yelled, “I, we can't ignore what we've seen! His powers are substantial! Until we know where they came from and why he has them, he is a potential threat! He may be our friend, but our job is to protect the Royal Family! Not to make friends!”
 
Mars turned back to Terrance and tried one more time. “Terrance, if you're loyal to the Royal Family then put yourself in my place. What would you do in this situation? Wouldn't you be concerned about their safety?”
 
Terrance didn't move. The tears in his eyes spilled down his cheeks as he realized what Sailor Mars said was true. He would be doing exactly what she was doing if he was the superior in this situation. Everyone quietly waited as Terrance struggled within himself. The tension in the air mounted.
 
As the wait for his answer became unbearable, Sailor Mars sadly, and resignedly, warned, “This will be the last chance you get to explain.”
 
Suddenly, Mercury, who had been furiously typing on her computer throughout the argument, yelled out loud. “*YES! I DID IT!*” To everyone's shocked amazement, Mercury started to dance around and sing, “I did it, I did it! *YES!* I DID IT!” as she precariously waved her computer in the air. Mid-dance, Mercury froze. She looked around, and realizing everyone was staring at her, blushed crimson and apologized.
 
Venus impatiently pointed out, “Fine, but Mercury, you still haven't told us what you did!”
 
With a triumphant grin, Mercury turned to Terrance. She looked him dead in the eyes and clearly stated, “I know who you are!”